Free Agent Tracker

silvermike

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without looking up the information to be certain maybe somebody can put in the elbow greese and check it out but I thought Osi and Mathis were both FA at the end of this season. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Osi isn't but mathis is a free agent

Thanks for the clarification. What's the deal with Osi then? I thought that's why he was holding out all offseason after the CBA was done because he was on the final year of his contract and was unhappy with his salary. Either way, I wonder if maybe the Giants and Osi come to a pass this season and they part ways. Especially if Osi rips it up in the rest of the playoffs and the Giants still refuse to renegotiate his contract. Makes me wonder if he will be on the trade block if he decides to hold out again. Just a thought.

Thanks for the clarification. What's the deal with Osi then? I thought that's why he was holding out all offseason after the CBA was done because he was on the final year of his contract and was unhappy with his salary. Either way, I wonder if maybe the Giants and Osi come to a pass this season and they part ways. Especially if Osi rips it up in the rest of the playoffs and the Giants still refuse to renegotiate his contract. Makes me wonder if he will be on the trade block if he decides to hold out again. Just a thought.

Sorry for the delayed response but I'm at work. Ill have to check but I believe Osi makes about 4-5 mil next year. It will be the final year of his contract so I guess he can always try to hold out again but the Giants just might let him sit. I don't think its likely he will be traded because now that the rookie salaries aren't as big, it makes teams less likely to trade them away to avoid paying huge cash for picks. Especially for someone with previous knee injuries. I also don't think they will release him but what do I know.. I guess anything can happen.

Quite sure a lot of teams will be after the top players on that list...what would make a player sign with the Bills over someone else?

Money and a chance to start. Recruiting by current and former Bills players.

As is Mario Williams, though he's hurt.

Calais Campbell is the most versataile D lineman on the Cards, can play DE/DT in a 4-3, and DE in a 3-4. I also believe he finished with 8 sacks this season. Might go to the broncos if not re-signed, by the Cards as he's from Colorado originally. Love to see him on the Bills.

All else being equal, we get none of these guys. They are all starters, big money and can choose what team they play on. The Bills and WNY could not possibly be at the top of any of these rock star's list. Not a chance. We throw $$ at them, the $$ gets matched and its game over.

Thae Pats don't typically pony up with blockbuster deals. They've got Welker & Mankins due & they can't franchise both of them. Either would substantially help our team.

I believe Mankins already signed an extention. So they really only need to worry about Welker.

Seems to me that their is a bumper crop of high end defensive backs on the list. Finnegan, Grimes or Webb would instantly upgrade our leaky pass defense. We traded away a terrible run defense to become one of the worst pass defense teams. I would like to see improvement in the cb position.

Edited by poo

Who said it's unacceptable?

Are you suggesting it's unacceptable they haven't signed UFA's prior to the start of the FA period? While the 2011 is still going on to boot? :o

I don't think it's unacceptable but I know someone who works with the Cleveland Browns and was told there's an unwritten rule that most players consider it at least a minor insult to have to play out the last year on your contract.

The fact that there's no news on Stevie's contract probably means he's going to hit free agency and is most likely gone, though that's not a surprise.

People are always griping about the Bills retaining their talent, well it starts by taking some chances and signing your guys before they're at the end of contract. Obviously they've done it at times in the past, but they need to do a better job of it. I understand them not signing D. Bell because of injuries and am hoping it won't be a mistake.

I don't think it's unacceptable but I know someone who works with the Cleveland Browns and was told there's an unwritten rule that most players consider it at least a minor insult to have to play out the last year on your contract.

The fact that there's no news on Stevie's contract probably means he's going to hit free agency and is most likely gone, though that's not a surprise.

People are always griping about the Bills retaining their talent, well it starts by taking some chances and signing your guys before they're at the end of contract. Obviously they've done it at times in the past, but they need to do a better job of it. I understand them not signing D. Bell because of injuries and am hoping it won't be a mistake.

Its not time to panic yet on the Stevie Johnson thing. We haven't touched any contract for our FA's yet.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/2012-free-agent-tracker/

This is a high quality list, as far as I can tell. We can obviously quibble with the ratings, but PFF's writers are thorough, and this is going to be a good starting place. Just to pull out top players at some potential need positions:

QB: Drew Brees, Alex Smith, Matt Flynn

WR: Wes Welker, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe

OT: Demetrius Bell(!), Anthony Collins, Jared Gaither

TE: Joel Dressen, Martellus Bennett, Jim Kleinsasser

DE: John Abraham, Calais Campbell, Michael Bennett

DT: Sione Pouha, Broderick Bunkley, Derek Landri

OLB: Erin Henderson, Jarrett Johnson, Mario Williams

MLB: Stephen Tulloch, London Fletcher, D'Qwell Jackson

CB:Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb.

OK, sorry about all the strike-throughs, but these guys aren't realistic...some that I didn't cross out aren't either, but they are exciting prospects.

QB: Brees & Smith aren't going anywhere. Flynn could possibly move on because of the situation in GB. It's not like Drafting Rogers when Favre was nearing retirement. Rogers only had to wait 3 years, but I can't believe Flynn would be content to remain a back up for another 10 years. That said, Bills have a love affair with Fitz and if we get a QB this year it'll be a developmental late round pick.

WR: Welker & Colston aren't going anywhere. Both are staples in their respective offenses. Bowe is intriguing, but he & SJ13 are essentially the same. Both are good at getting open and making plays, but each are just as apt as the other at dropping a potential game winning TD. That said, I'd still love the pick up. I'd throw Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachum, Manningham & Garcon in that mix. Thet're all upgrades to what we have now. Lloyd proved that he may not be so hard to handle in the locker room & he provides a HUGE traget...I'd like to see him as a Bill even more so than Bowe.

OT: I'm with all the pundits and the Bills in that Bell still has a ton of upside & can be a very good LT if he can stay healthy. Collins is to valuable to Cinci, so I don't think he's going anywhere. Gaither still intrigues me...I think he got a raw deal in Baltimore, but with Bell and Hairston an OT may come by way of mid to late round draft for competition and depth.

TE: Don'tknow too much about Dressen & Bennett as they both sit behind 2 of the top 10 TE's in the league. If they fit the "oversized WR" mold, then cool. I'd add Daniel Fells to the mix as Kleinsasser hung it up.

DE: Abraham is too old...good, but old. AZ can't afford to lose any more talen on their D & Campbell is, by far, their best man in the front 7, so no way they let hm go. Bennett is restricted, so forget it. Not sure why Mathis didn't make your top 3??? Also, add Dave Tollefson. On any other team, this guy starts....I mean, he racked up 5 sacks in rotational duty.

DT: Pouha's not going anywhere unless the Jets can't afford him anymore. Don't know much about Bunckley & Landri is a good depth guy. Aubrayo Franklin always seems to slip under the radar and Jason Jones one of the best interior pass rushers in the league. But, with Tennesee's horrible track record of letting very good DT's go, they may make it a point to resign him.

OLB: Henderson is too old. Another good player, but old. Johnson would be a solid pickup and Williams, obviously, would be the greatest FA acquisition this team has ever made...so, it won't happen...plus, the contract he's going to sign (not with Houston) is going to be huge.If the Bills pulled that off, I'd get an erection. Anyway, I also like Anthony Spencer from Dallas.

CB: Grimes & Finnegan would be awesome pick ups. Webb, however, is restricted. Add in Terell Thomas from NYG. Dude's just damn good and a beast in run support...maybe the best run defending CB in the league. God knows we need help in run D.

Edited by Armchair GM

OK, sorry about all the strike-throughs, but these guys aren't realistic...some that I didn't cross out aren't either, but they are exciting prospects.

QB: Brees & Smith aren't going anywhere. Flynn could possibly move on because of the situation in GB. It's not like Drafting Rogers when Favre was nearing retirement. Rogers only had to wait 3 years, but I can't believe Flynn would be content to remain a back up for another 10 years. That said, Bills have a love affair with Fitz and if we get a QB this year it'll be a developmental late round pick.

WR: Welker & Colston aren't going anywhere. Both are staples in their respective offenses. Bowe is intriguing, but he & SJ13 are essentially the same. Both are good at getting open and making plays, but each are just as apt as the other at dropping a potential game winning TD. That said, I'd still love the pick up. I'd throw Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachum, Manningham & Garcon in that mix. Thet're all upgrades to what we have now. Lloyd proved that he may not be so hard to handle in the locker room & he provides a HUGE traget...I'd like to see him as a Bill even more so than Bowe.

OT: I'm with all the pundits and the Bills in that Bell still has a ton of upside & can be a very good LT if he can stay healthy. Collins is to valuable to Cinci, so I don't think he's going anywhere. Gaither still intrigues me...I think he got a raw deal in Baltimore, but with Bell and Hairston an OT may come by way of mid to late round draft for competition and depth.

TE: Don'tknow too much about Dressen & Bennett as they both sit behind 2 of the top 10 TE's in the league. If they fit the "oversized WR" mold, then cool. I'd add Daniel Fells to the mix as Kleinsasser hung it up.

DE: Abraham is too old...good, but old. AZ can't afford to lose any more talen on their D & Campbell is, by far, their best man in the front 7, so no way they let hm go. Bennett is restricted, so forget it. Not sure why Mathis didn't make your top 3??? Also, add Dave Tollefson. On any other team, this guy starts....I mean, he racked up 5 sacks in rotational duty.

DT: Pouha's not going anywhere unless the Jets can't afford him anymore. Don't know much about Bunckley & Landri is a good depth guy. Aubrayo Franklin always seems to slip under the radar and Jason Jones one of the best interior pass rushers in the league. But, with Tennesee's horrible track record of letting very good DT's go, they may make it a point to resign him.

OLB: Henderson is too old. Another good player, but old. Johnson would be a solid pickup and Williams, obviously, would be the greatest FA acquisition this team has ever made...so, it won't happen...plus, the contract he's going to sign (not with Houston) is going to be huge.If the Bills pulled that off, I'd get an erection. Anyway, I also like Anthony Spencer from Dallas.

CB: Grimes & Finnegan would be awesome pick ups. Webb, however, is restricted. Add in Terell Thomas from NYG. Dude's just damn good and a beast in run support...maybe the best run defending CB in the league. God knows we need help in run D.

My comments:

QB - Agree with you here.

WR - Welker is a lock to be back; Colston not so much. Matter of fact, I've actually seen reports that it's going to be very difficult to keep him and Brees and Carl Nicks, especially with a possible Jimmy Graham holdout looming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/26/colston-wont-be-giving-the-saints-a-discount/

If we do go with a WR, I think Pierre Garcon would be a smart choice. He likely won't cost a ton of money, but can stretch the field and run solid routes.

OT - I'm in the re-sign Bell AND draft somebody camp. If Bell locks up the job with Stellar play, great. If not, let Hairston or a draft pick try to hold it down.

DL - Campbell is a good player, but Darnell Dockett is the guy that makes the Arizona line what it is. If they feel that Campbell's asking price is too high, they won't bite. Tollefson is a big question mark to me...I mean, how good do you have to be when you're rushing the passer alongside Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathia Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, or some combination thereof?

DB - Love the Terrell Thomas idea; I could also be talked into Rashean Mathis.

My comments:

QB - Agree with you here.

WR - Welker is a lock to be back; Colston not so much. Matter of fact, I've actually seen reports that it's going to be very difficult to keep him and Brees and Carl Nicks, especially with a possible Jimmy Graham holdout looming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/26/colston-wont-be-giving-the-saints-a-discount/

If we do go with a WR, I think Pierre Garcon would be a smart choice. He likely won't cost a ton of money, but can stretch the field and run solid routes.

OT - I'm in the re-sign Bell AND draft somebody camp. If Bell locks up the job with Stellar play, great. If not, let Hairston or a draft pick try to hold it down.

DL - Campbell is a good player, but Darnell Dockett is the guy that makes the Arizona line what it is. If they feel that Campbell's asking price is too high, they won't bite. Tollefson is a big question mark to me...I mean, how good do you have to be when you're rushing the passer alongside Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathia Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, or some combination thereof?

DB - Love the Terrell Thomas idea; I could also be talked into Rashean Mathis.

Interesting about Colston... I knew they had their work cut out for them with FA's, but I didn't hear about eh Graham hold out. What makes it more interesting is the possibility of being able to resign Meachum, even with the other issues, as his contract demand won't be nearly as lofty as Colston.

I agree that Dockett is a beast, but AZ's D, as I said, can't afford to lose any talent because they don't have much. To me, the drop off is greater if Campbell goes and takes his 50+ tackles and 5-10 sacks with him. Although we've seen some players stretch out their careers along the D Line, Docket will be entering his 8th season and his production has steadily decreased (sacks anyway) over the years.

Good point on Tollefson, but even so, when you have ZERO drop off when he comes on the field regardless of who he's next to, tells me he's pretty damn good.

I also like Mathis, but he's going into his 9th season, wrong side of 30 and an ACL @ 32 yrs old is a pretty significant injury. Also, his production has dropped off over the years as well.

WR: I'd throw Brandon Lloyd, Robert Meachum, Manningham & Garcon in that mix. Thet're all upgrades to what we have now. Lloyd proved that he may not be so hard to handle in the locker room & he provides a HUGE traget...I'd like to see him as a Bill even more so than Bowe.

DE: Also, add Dave Tollefson. On any other team, this guy starts....I mean, he racked up 5 sacks in rotational duty.

OLB: Henderson is too old. Another good player, but old.

What do you mean by "HUGE target" when making that reference in regards to Brandon Lloyd? He is capable of making some acrobatic catches, however at 6'0" 188lbs I wouldn't describe him as HUGE. He's also 31 and likely on the downside of his career.

I don't think Tollefson offers much more than what they have in Kelsay. He's a nice player but I don't think he offers the type of pass rusher that the Bills are in desperate need of.

Erin Henderson is EJs brother, he's only 26. However he would likely only fit at OLB in a 43 so depending on the system they plan to run he could be a fit.

Edited by Carey Bender

I look at the WR list, even beyond the top 3 -- and look at the cap room--if the Bills put $7.5M on the table for Stevie he better say yes because that is above what I think normal supply and demand for him will dictate. I can't see his Octagon agent overvaluing him despite public comments to the contrary.

Tollefson picks up the scraps from an otherwise dominant pass rush. Put him on the Bills, he looks like all the other jokers currently occupying space on the Buffalo D-line. Don't chase fringe players from good defenses. See Dwan Edwards.