Gregg Williams

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess when you're a winning program, you get the pick of the litter.

Connections don't hurt either. With Peyton having roots in the Giants, Dallas, and Eagles you build some ties- coupled with a chance to win a ring and get a HC spot, and a talented defense to begin with.... It's going to be easy to fill.

I like chan a lot but wish he was more tied into the network of NFL coaches. Got us wanny though. it's just been a long time since chans been connected in so you don't see as many hot names with which he was peers.

Never understood how someone could be labelled a defensive "genius" for calling the same play every time.

He sucked in Buffalo...He sucked in Washington...He sucked in Jacksonville....He stunk it up in New Orleans...and yet he is getting his 4th DC job.... The NFL is a old-boys network indeed...

He sucked in Buffalo...He sucked in Washington...He sucked in Jacksonville....He stunk it up in New Orleans...and yet he is getting his 4th DC job.... The NFL is a old-boys network indeed...

Speaking of retreads I read Brian schottenheimer is favorite to land the OC job. Rams are doomed. Three headed coaching monster with 3 guys who are never wrong

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Not a GW fan but that's a bit harsh.

He was bad in Buffalo with bad players.

He was average in Wash & NO with average players.

He was good in Tenn with good players.

So he's pretty much like every other coordinator.

Every analyst on the planet could not stop gushing about his magical ability to force turnovers 2yrs ago as Favre & Peterson handed NO the NFC championship game. I guess he stopped emphasizing takeaways in practice sometime last year.

Edited by BuffOrange

He's an alright coordinator but much like our head coach, he's not great at adjusting for available personnel and game situations. Once he finds his winning formula, he'll stick to it, regardless of available personnel to execute it.

His defenses always play well in the first quarter of the season until injuries occur and game tape is available.

He was average in Wash & NO with average players.

Problem is - saints have a better than average roster on D

The safeties are Jenkins (first rounder, regularly nfc d player of the week) and Harper (probowler and second round talent)

Corners are Greer (VERY strong corner for him), porter (second rounder) and Patrick Robinson (first round and graded very well)

Dline has will smith, cam jordan (probowler in smith and first rounders both) at DT it's sed Ellis (top ten pick) and abruyo franklin (49ers franchised him 2 years ago) and Shaun Rogers (aging but a strong player).

Jonathan vilma is his qb on the d (2 probowls in the last 3 years). The only spot that's got a talent question is olb, and in 3 years he only lost Scott fujita. Casillas isn't bad, martez showed flashes.

What he got out of that squad was less than the sum of its parts.

Edited by NoSaint

Yeah what is up with GW in just two years he went from a skinny little dictator looking coach to a bloated stoner look with tinted glasses and a visor. The guy looks ridiculous

And he was our HC who said he didn't want FAT guys on the defense; and away went Phat Pat Williams

Edited by grog

Never understood how someone could be labelled a defensive "genius" for calling the same play every time.

As I recall, he was hired with the BILLS because of his "Great Interview."

Well, talk is cheap, and there never was much follow-thru on Gregggg's part. He took the job for the money, and the title only and I was glad to see him go. He's a phony!

He is a good DC. He was not as good as a first time HC with subpar players. Our defense was not our biggest problem, it was our crappy offense and lack of a QB. He didn't get key players from Donahoe. Donahoe drafting MaGahee was a slap in the face, leaving GW hanging out to dry. GW has a Superbowl ring, so I think your saying he stunk it up in N.O. shows your ignorance. He had the top ranked D in TN and Fisher needed him to get to the SB.

He likes to blitz and put pressure on the QB but needs good CBs in order to do that. I see the Rams trading down a few slots in April and picking a top CB, perhaps, Morris Claiborne. It may take a year or so, but I'm confident that the Rams will have a soon to be improved defense. He is a Missouri native so he is going home, probably with a multi-year guaranteed contract bigger than Chan's!

I thought he blitzed way too much in the Frisco game, especially at the end when it obviously wasn't working. Never dropped seven back and payed the price.

Ironically, with all the blitzing through the game, he dropped 8 back on the last play of the game, and Davis caught the TD. That is some serious reverse Midas touch.

Ironically, with all the blitzing through the game, he dropped 8 back on the last play of the game, and Davis caught the TD. That is some serious reverse Midas touch.

Because that's the play/scheme in the redzone. Notice they all played deeper to protect the backline? Almost identical to johnsons td the week prior, and a ton of others. I'm sure that having a qb coach that faced Gregg 4 times the previous two years (Carolina) didn't hurt the niners plans.

Not surprised after his refusal to go zone and double cover Vernon Davis when everyone in the nation knew Alex Smith was going to throw to him every play on that last series.

Gregg's ego has always been in his way......

I just keep trying to remember how flustered smith looked and how if the blitz worked it would've been game over without even OT

One thing that I noticed about Williams during his tenure in Buffalo, was that the guy looked more, and more unhealthy as the season dragged on. He looked pasty white by november. I think that the (I would bet money on this) 'coffee,and doughnuts' diet (and no sunshine) let to cloudy thinking and the punt on the 30 yard line - and his eventual demise in Buffalo.

If you can't manage your own health, and level of stress, how can you lead a football team?????

Greggo needs a shrink, and a dietician..... and I'm very happy that he is long gone....

The safeties are Jenkins (first rounder, regularly nfc d player of the week) and Harper (probowler and second round talent)

Corners are Greer (VERY strong corner for him), porter (second rounder) and Patrick Robinson (first round and graded very well)

Dline has will smith, cam jordan (probowler in smith and first rounders both) at DT it's sex Ellis (top ten pick) and abruyo franklin (49ers franchised him 2 years ago) and Shaun Rogers (aging but a strong player).

Jonathan vilma is his qb on the d (2 probowls in the last 3 years). The only spot that's got a talent question is olb, and in 3 years he only lost Scott fujita. Casillas isn't bad, martez showed flashes.

Yep. The Saints defense is star-studded… on paper as talented as any D in the league.

Agree that the unit severely underachieved.

As I recall, he was hired with the BILLS because of his "Great Interview."

Well, talk is cheap, and there never was much follow-thru on Gregggg's part. He took the job for the money, and the title only and I was glad to see him go. He's a phony!

I wonder if Greggo brought that megaphone of his into the interview and then proceeded to mega-decibel Donahoe into a prone, browbeaten state.

In this scenario Donahoe would have offered him the job just to save his own hearing and sanity.

Career advancement by torture.

Dline has will smith, cam jordan (probowler in smith and first rounders both) at DT it's sed Ellis (top ten pick) and abruyo franklin (49ers franchised him 2 years ago) and Shaun Rogers (aging but a strong player).

The 2011 squad, sure. I was referring to the average performance in his tenure in each respective place. They did pretty well in '09 and improved dramatically from the year before (though they did get absurdly lucky in takeaways and he got too much credit for that but whatever, that's the way it goes).

You can argue the talent was below average when he was in Wash too and they did play 1year of very good D when they made the playoffs. The rest was very ordinary at best, which was to be expected without a real pass-rusher.

In Buffalo the D stunk when the players stunk in '01 & '02 and they got much better when they upgraded the talent in '03.

I think when you look at the big picture of his career he averages out to an average coordinator. Maybe that sounds like I'm defending him now, which I don't really mean to...I wasn't one of the blowhards in the media crediting him with "being opportunistic" and "emphasizing takeaways" (basically code words for 'being lucky') like the Aikman's of the world were doing two years ago.