Put everything into the offense

Toshiero

This game has completely changed. Sure draft some upgrades on D, but honestly put every resource into WR and the OL ( and for God's sake draft a fing QB to groom). Look the top seeds in the playoffs were 31st and 32nd in Defense. The #2 Defense just got booted.

Just put it all in offense as that is the way the NFL goes and hey at least when we suck we will at least be somewhat exciting.

The texans lost because of 3 ints and a fumble recovered by baltimore on the 2 yard line which resulted in 7 points. If you recall watching the game didn't the 2nd ranked D make one hell of a goaline stop that resulted in 0 points for the ravens as well as 7 three and outs for the ravens offense? If the Texans had shaub for that game they could have won. Due to one of the ints the ravens started already in field goal range and when Ed reed made an int at the end, the texans stopped them in another three and out to give yates back the ball with about 50secs to go.

In the saints game the 49ers D stopped pierre thomas on the two yard line and got a turnover. On the ensuing 49ers drive they got a TD pass to vernon davis, thats a 7 point swing for the 49ers. If the Saints scored a TD on that opening drive and didn't give up the ensuing TD to the 49ers that could have decided the game. 49ers also had two INT's vs brees which doesn't come easy.

I know Tim Tebow sucks but did you see how successful their D was against the broncos? only 10 points let up. The broncos D also got an INT off a brady mistake that resulted in their offenses' only TD and 7 of their 10 points.

Last years superbowl the packers' pick six shifted the momentum of the game. I believe they had two ints and a fumble recovery that resulted in points for the packers every time.

Defense wins championships. Sure the NFL is more oriented on high scoring offenses but if thats so, Stops on defense are still as crucial as they have ever been. Defenses may not make as many stops but if each team is going to put up points frequently, those stops and turnovers your defense can make can still decide a game as they always have

We dont need to put every resource towards Offense, just a different type of resource.

Keep drafting D, but add to the O in FA. Need to re-sign Stevie, Chandler, and Bell, and get another big WR in FA as well (Jackson, Colston, or Meachem).

Spend the first 4 picks on D again, and get another OL in the 4th that can contribute like Hairston did.

Offense is definitely the name of the game in today's NFL. As much as I've defended Fitz, this offense, no matter how much you add to it, will never be at the level of GB, NE, or NO b/c Fitz can't reach that level. That doesn't we need a HOF QB in order to win...insead, we're going to make up the gap between Fitz and Brady somehwere else: defense and special teams. Continue to add pieces to the offense for sure, but the only way the Bills will move forward is by having a well-balanced TEAM.

After watching the playoffs thusfar, it has again struck me how far away Buffalo is in many ways from being a good team.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot. I mean, on defense, except Williams and Dareus, we've got really no EXCITING players, guys who can take over a game at a certain position. Teams like San Fran, Giants, Green Bay have PLAYERS on Defense. Then look at their opposing units, whichever one doesn't get as much recognition, or the side that is supposed to be weaker, and San Fran, for instance, has Crabtree, Davis, a Stud filled O-line, and Gore, not to mention a #1 QB!

What bothers me isn't how far away from being a really dominant team we are, but rather that our organization doesn't appear to have that out-for-blood mentality to put together a team so talented that they can be really great. Our organization seems TOO CONTENT to have MEDIOCRE guys on the roster where these teams are filled more with pro-bowl talent than they are with mediocre talent!

We could turn it around - with the right coaching and drafting. Look at Houston last year. They went out and got some guys to pressure the QB, and now their Defense can go after a team. We've got to have that kind of mentality, where we don't just settle for better-than-off-the-street. We've got to go get REAL TALENT. And we've got to get a promising QB.

I lost my train of thought there - I meant to say, the good teams have very good players on both sides of the ball.

Well bottom line the entire front office needs to go including Ralph, but that is moot point till he passes. That said Address OT and WR Bigtime. Next we MUST RUSH THE PASSER. We have the Secondary, but it doesn't mean crap unless you can put pressure on the QB.

Run Defense? If we can score points they will be forced to throw, if we have a great pass rush....

And yet the Bills DID beat the Pats this year and were 2 bad INTs away from beating the Giants IN New York (if just one of those picks hadn't been thrown).

Where I think the Bills need the most help is in the depth department. The team that beat New England back in Week 3 was probably a playoff team. The team that ended the season with so many injured players was far from it.

After watching the playoffs thusfar, it has again struck me how far away Buffalo is in many ways from being a good team.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot. I mean, on defense, except Williams and Dareus, we've got really no EXCITING players, guys who can take over a game at a certain position. Teams like San Fran, Giants, Green Bay have PLAYERS on Defense. Then look at their opposing units, whichever one doesn't get as much recognition, or the side that is supposed to be weaker, and San Fran, for instance, has Crabtree, Davis, a Stud filled O-line, and Gore, not to mention a #1 QB!

What bothers me isn't how far away from being a really dominant team we are, but rather that our organization doesn't appear to have that out-for-blood mentality to put together a team so talented that they can be really great. Our organization seems TOO CONTENT to have MEDIOCRE guys on the roster where these teams are filled more with pro-bowl talent than they are with mediocre talent!

We could turn it around - with the right coaching and drafting. Look at Houston last year. They went out and got some guys to pressure the QB, and now their Defense can go after a team. We've got to have that kind of mentality, where we don't just settle for better-than-off-the-street. We've got to go get REAL TALENT. And we've got to get a promising QB.

I lost my train of thought there - I meant to say, the good teams have very good players on both sides of the ball.

You look at the good teams - Green Bay, San Fran, Giants, Saints, Ravens, Patriots, etc. I'd say each of them have a better defense than we do, except maybe the Pats, and most by a long shot.

Hmm...

The Ravens and 49ers are definitely up there. They are ranked 3rd and 5th, respectively.

But the Giants, Pats, and Packers all finished behind us (27, 31, and 32). The Saints came in just a few spots ahead of us.

When you look at where our Offense, and Offensive players were ranked through the first half of the season, we aren't that far away.

If you compare our healthy roster to those teams, we stack right up, and are still building. But we do need to add more "Top Tier" talent. That will also help us create depth. I honestly feel that if Nix/Whaley would get a little aggressive this off-season, that we can easily take the division next year. Gotta make the right moves though.

G-Men defense beat the snot out of the "unstoppable" Pack offense today.

The obit notice of " Defense in today's NFL" is premature.

We need to add a stud WR on offense, but we need to massively upgrade our Defense to be competitive.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

Well bottom line the entire front office needs to go including Ralph, but that is moot point till he passes. That said Address OT and WR Bigtime. Next we MUST RUSH THE PASSER. We have the Secondary, but it doesn't mean crap unless you can put pressure on the QB.

Run Defense? If we can score points they will be forced to throw, if we have a great pass rush....

So that's the base for this post? So you can get in your "front office must go" idea in? Just say that then so the Mods can bury your message on one of the other "front office must go" posts. Don't come up with the stupid idea of "we" needing to draft offense when clearly DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! If you watched this weekends games you would have realized that!

We have serious needs on offense, at OT and WR. We have serious needs on defense, OLB, DE, and possibly CB. I can't see saying one area is in more need than the other. In any event it calls for a very wise draft and aggressive moves in free agency.

Let me get this straight: the Bills have serious needs? Surely, you jest:)

The Bills have to build from the foundation first. The first level of the foundation is the owner. Nothing can be done about that right now. The second level is the management staff the owner hires. Nothing is being done about that right now either. The third level is the coaching staff. Based on the Bills performance over the last dozen years, it is safe to assume that there are cracks in the foundation.

The next level is the players. The primary foundation from the playing level is the offensive line and the defensive line. If the lines are top notch the other pieces tend to fall in place. On offense the QB, RB's and WR's all seem to improve dramatically behind a quality OL. When the defensive line improves, the LB's and DB's get remarkably better.

The NY Giants, Baltimore Ravens, Houston Texans, and San Fran 49er's all showed this year what a defense with a pass rush can accomplish.

I would recommend building a defense that can pressure the passer. The Bills have not had a serious pass rushing DE in many years. Start there and then strengthen the OLB's. I would then strengthen the offensive line.

I would definitely stop drafting RB's,WR's and safeties in the first two rounds until the lines are strengthened. This should have been done a long time ago. They did right by drafting Dareus last year. Now they need to do it again this year.

The NFL changes every year. No one formula consistently works or all teams would look like that which did. They need a whole team. The trenches, the playmakers and the role players.

I say you plug the biggest hole in the boat, which is stopping the run and slowing down Gronkowski. With all due respect to the great Nick Barnett, this team needs professional Linebackers. If you think the next Jumbo Elliott or Jerry Rice is available, you take him. But they better have a plan B to stock that D with some 250 lb playmakers.

This game has completely changed. Sure draft some upgrades on D, but honestly put every resource into WR and the OL ( and for God's sake draft a fing QB to groom). Look the top seeds in the playoffs were 31st and 32nd in Defense. The #2 Defense just got booted.

Just put it all in offense as that is the way the NFL goes and hey at least when we suck we will at least be somewhat exciting.

Houston getting "booted" by the Ravens is hardly offense taking over. This past weekend has shown that hard-hitting physical defense and hard running offenses are still the way to go. The Pats were the only pass happy team to make it and that was beating a 8-8 a Broncos team that was physically outmatched by the pats D who brutalized Tebow and their running game all day showing that physical D is vital for winning in the post season.

did you watch any playoff games? Defense wins. FACT. The superhuman Saints offense ALMOST did it, but.. they didn't.

Having said all that, a teams needs balance for sure, but defense has proved to be more important.

Edited by markgbe