Donte Whitner - SUCKED TODAY

major

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a clean hit on thomas. Thomas dropped his head to try and plow into the endzone. It was not intentional. Plus, if those hits were illegal, you'd see a dozen flags per game, because there are so many helmet-to-helmet per hits on RBs every game.

Well...let's see...he was 17/31 and Gailey was 10/22. Sounds like there isn't much difference.

Because wins and losses are really the only way to evaluate a team.

Because a guy who comes in and completely scraps a not-just-functional-but-elite defense is really a smart head coach.

If you'd like to have Whitner back, I disagree, but I understand. If you'd like to have Gregg Williams back, you're insane. He was a terrible head coach who believed he was great. It doesn't get much worse. Gailey I at least believe sees this as a long-term project and hasn't been making promises he cannot keep.

Because wins and losses are really the only way to evaluate a team.

Because a guy who comes in and completely scraps a not-just-functional-but-elite defense is really a smart head coach.

If you'd like to have Whitner back, I disagree, but I understand. If you'd like to have Gregg Williams back, you're insane. He was a terrible head coach who believed he was great. It doesn't get much worse. Gailey I at least believe sees this as a long-term project and hasn't been making promises he cannot keep.

Winning is about as good an evaluative tool as any. I didn't say I wanted Williams back. Hell...I'm not even saying I want Gailey back!

Winning is about as good an evaluative tool as any. I didn't say I wanted Williams back. Hell...I'm not even saying I want Gailey back!

For a coach, I want to know if they are taking the team in the right direction and are adaptable. Gailey hasn't shown that outright, but he sure has displayed these with a lot more reliability than Greggo. Williams failed in part because he was such a my-way-or-the-highway guy. Gailey is failing in part because he doesn't have all the tools he needs. Williams failed with (and alienated) some certifiable stars, while Gailey has few to none and his team does back him up.

Winning will cure all ills, but few teams win without good coaching. Hopefully this team gets a good shot of talent this winter and Gailey can take them for a big leap forward.

You have basically made my point for me, though. Just because a guy is in the playoffs it does not immediately make him desirable. GW is a decent D-coordinator being given good tools. Donte is an average safety with excellent talent in front of him. Both of these examples show you that a talented cast can let you do what you do best and mask some of your deficiencies. They don't show you that either of these guys are game-changers, despite Donte's big hits yesterday.

The hit on Ivory that caused the fumble should have been a PF and 1st and goal at the 1 for the Saints. Expect him to get a fine this week.

^this x1,000

Textbook example of lowering your head to use it as a weapon ... Just like drinking and driving, the wrong person usually gets hurt

For a coach, I want to know if they are taking the team in the right direction and are adaptable. Gailey hasn't shown that outright, but he sure has displayed these with a lot more reliability than Greggo. Williams failed in part because he was such a my-way-or-the-highway guy. Gailey is failing in part because he doesn't have all the tools he needs. Williams failed with (and alienated) some certifiable stars, while Gailey has few to none and his team does back him up.

Winning will cure all ills, but few teams win without good coaching. Hopefully this team gets a good shot of talent this winter and Gailey can take them for a big leap forward.

You have basically made my point for me, though. Just because a guy is in the playoffs it does not immediately make him desirable. GW is a decent D-coordinator being given good tools. Donte is an average safety with excellent talent in front of him. Both of these examples show you that a talented cast can let you do what you do best and mask some of your deficiencies. They don't show you that either of these guys are game-changers, despite Donte's big hits yesterday.

largely agree with your post re: Gregg and Donte...however, I'm not so convinced about chan.i'm not sure he is head coach material based on his decision making for more than half the 011 season.We'll see.

largely agree with your post re: Gregg and Donte...however, I'm not so convinced about chan.i'm not sure he is head coach material based on his decision making for more than half the 011 season.We'll see.

Me neither. I am concerned but hopeful that he can learn with a full offseason to review tape and install a system with minicamps, etc.

I don't think we hate ex Bills players... I think I can speak for everyone on here and say we all still love London Fletcher... We love the uniform first so when players leave we just don't care but in Whitner's case, it was the way he left and all the talking that he does especially negative talk about the Bills organization that has some fans just "hate" him.

I didn't hate him but when he took the opportunity to talk trash about the bills right before his playoff appearance, he cemented his status as a numbskull in my opinion and in many others'. He is making himself a topic of conversation among Bills fans by acting like an idiot instead of moving on. Could we do better? Sure, but let's not act like he is some kind of classy figure moving on in his new playoff life while bills fans remain bitter. Donte always talked without backing it up and this week was no different. You don't see better safeties like Polamalu opening their mouths even half as much. A real man would acknowledge the bills gave him the opportunity of a lifetime, that it didn't work out, and that he is in a good situation now.

There are many Bills fans who don't hate Donte and don't engage in bashing a player who's left the team.

But there's a reason that he's not given the same respect we gave London, Takeo Spikes, Pat Williams, Antoine Winfield, Jabari Greer and many others that were still beloved and admired when they left town.

The guys I can't understand who've been attacked by Buffalo sports fans are Michael Peca (people thought he was too greedy but Rigas was penny pinching the captain of the team who said he would've taken less but the Sabres never gave him a reasonable counter-offer), Hasek (yeah he choked/gave up in one game but we'd have never been a perennial playoff team without him and he brought great glory to the Sabres… and the Sabres never attempted to build a team around him… they went cheap), and Brian Campbell (accused of being greedy… but who in their right mind would turn down the money that Chicago offered him?).

I don't dislike Whitner as a person. I just don't think he's that good in his profession. I actually wish the best to every former Bills player. I want them to do well. I simply think Donte SUCKED yesterday

Starting safety for the best d in the league....he must be doing something right.

You said:

I said:

Offensive and defensive linemen smash helmets on every play. Therefore if your statement is true (Helmet to helmet is illegal, period.) then we better start seeing offensive and defensive linemen flagged for helmet to helmet.

It doesn't get called on the offense and defensless reciever and helmet to helmet are two different rules.

Edited by Fig Newton

In fact, helmet to helmet isn't really even a rule.

Do you want to bet?

A helmet to helmet hit is when a player uses his helmet to strike an opposing player in the helmet. Due to the severe nature of the injuries that can occur as a result of this type of hit, helmet to helmet hits are penalties in the NFL, whether incidental or deliberate. Defensively, helmet to helmet penalties are usually flagged during the process of making a tackle. However, the penalty can also be enforced on an offensive player making a block or a defensive player making a block after a turnover.

As far as defensless reciever goes, If a defender launches himself and hits a reciever before he gets both feet on the ground and is prepared to take the hit, you will in most cases get flagged.(doesn't have to be helmet to helmet)

Edited by Fig Newton

I thought he played great w/ a lot of passion. Aside from the big whiff that almost blew it. Deion Sanders on the NFL network just called him The MVP of the SF defense Saturday. I enjoy watching former Bills players and wish them all well.

The only people that think Whitner is so horrible are Bills fans. He was doomed from the start in Buffalo when he was taken 8th overall, when the fans wanted Ngata. Fans blamed him and he could never do right so hes another player run out of town thought to be a horrible player. The remainder of the NFL seems to view him differently.......