Nix needs to get the pass rushing woes solved

In 2010, Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were banking on Aaron Schobel to transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. Schobel mulled over retirement and couldn't make up his mind. But, at the beginning of August 2010, Buddy Nix had enough of Schobel's indecision and made up his own mind by releasing him. But, by releasing Schobel, the Bills had no one on the roster that could get a good, consistent pass rush.

During the 2010 season, Nix claimed OLB Shawne Merriman off of waivers. Merriman lasted 15 minutes before landing on IR. During the offseason, Merriman and the Bills doctor's stated they solved Merriman's achilles problem, and felt good about Merriman's health for the 2011 season. That had Nix sold again. Merriman looked like he was back to his old "Lights Out" form again in the preseason, as he had back to back sacks on Jay Cutler. But, before midseason, Merriman was placed on IR again due to injuries to his achilles tendon and shoulder. Nix stated that Merriman had surgery on both injuries and plans to have him back for the 2012 season.

While I agree with bringing Merriman back, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with him. Expecting Merriman to solve the Bills pass rushing problems at this point, given his injury history, is just pure stupidity. Granted, Nix stated he wants to bring in one to two more pass rushers, a DE that is around 6'4"-6'5", between 255-260 lbs. That sounds great if Nix can deliver. I agree that the Bills should get "TWO" pass rushers, a DE and a OLB. The Bills have two good interior linemen in Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus. In 2011, Dareus had 43 Tackles and 5.5 Sacks, with sub-par/mediocre talent besides him (due to Kyle Williams injury). In 2010, Kyle Williams had his best season to date with 77 Tackles and 5.5 Sacks, which helped him earn a spot in the probowl. If Nix can get two good pass rushers, combined with Dareus and Williams (assuming he comes back healthy), the Bills could finally have a good defense again. With having to play against one of the best QB's to ever play the game (Brady) twice a year, you would think the Bills would have addressed the pass rushing problem years ago. It's a no brainer why the Bills haven't made the post season in 12 years, and had a 15 game losing streak against the Patriots.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I'm guessing they'll bring in one guy either via free agency or in the first round of the draft who will play 34 OLB and can play DE when they go to a 4 man line. It doesn't sound like Nix is counting on Merriman.

In 2010, Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey were banking on Aaron Schobel to transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. Schobel mulled over retirement and couldn't make up his mind. But, at the beginning of August 2010, Buddy Nix had enough of Schobel's indecision and made up his own mind by releasing him. But, by releasing Schobel, the Bills had no one on the roster that could get a good, consistent pass rush.

During the 2010 season, Nix claimed OLB Shawne Merriman off of waivers. Merriman lasted 15 minutes before landing on IR. During the offseason, Merriman and the Bills doctor's stated they solved Merriman's achilles problem, and felt good about Merriman's health for the 2011 season. That had Nix sold again. Merriman looked like he was back to his old "Lights Out" form again in the preseason, as he had back to back sacks on Jay Cutler. But, before midseason, Merriman was placed on IR again due to injuries to his achilles tendon and shoulder. Nix stated that Merriman had surgery on both injuries and plans to have him back for the 2012 season.

While I agree with bringing Merriman back, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with him. Expecting Merriman to solve the Bills pass rushing problems at this point, given his injury history, is just pure stupidity. Granted, Nix stated he wants to bring in one to two more pass rushers, a DE that is around 6'4"-6'5", between 255-260 lbs. That sounds great if Nix can deliver. I agree that the Bills should get "TWO" pass rushers, a DE and a OLB. The Bills have two good interior linemen in Kyle Williams & Marcell Dareus. In 2011, Dareus had 43 Tackles and 5.5 Sacks, with sub-par/mediocre talent besides him (due to Kyle Williams injury). In 2010, Kyle Williams had his best season to date with 77 Tackles and 5.5 Sacks, which helped him earn a spot in the probowl. If Nix can get two good pass rushers, combined with Dareus and Williams (assuming he comes back healthy), the Bills could finally have a good defense again. With having to play against one of the best QB's to ever play the game (Brady) twice a year, you would think the Bills would have addressed the pass rushing problem years ago. It's a no brainer why the Bills haven't made the post season in 12 years, and had a 15 game losing streak against the Patriots.

Going with merriman and no plan B was a rookie GM mistake.Nix turned the lights out on that one. He has no one else to blame. You have to wonder if that will be the plan yet again assuming merriman passes his next physical. What a waste of money.

Going with merriman and no plan B was a rookie GM mistake.Nix turned the lights out on that one. He has no one else to blame. You have to wonder if that will be the plan yet again assuming merriman passes his next physical. What a waste of money.

I agree, that was a rookie mistake on Nix's part. The Bills haven't had a good, consistent pass rush in years. Even though Schobel was good, his sacks mainly came in bunches and he could never get good consistent pressure. Plus, Schobel never had a good complimentary DE to go with. It's been painful watching the Bills D get eaten up by the opposing QB's for years now, because the QB's had all day long in the pocket. Jauron thought by having a great secondary, that would neutralize the passing game, well, that never worked, because eventually someone always got open because no one on our D could get to the QB.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/33304/barwin-expecting-mario-williams-back

Who knows what happens with Mario Williams since Conner Barwin had a huge year. Maybe the Texans think Barwin will be the better option because of his contract status while not losing a whole lot at the DE/OLB position.

Mario's status: Barwin may have helped make the Texans think Mario Williams, who is heading towards free agency, is expendable. With Barwin and Brooks Reed at outside linebacker since a torn chest muscle ended Williams' season, the team has gotten great production. Williams’ franchise tag would cost more than $16 million, which is salary-cap prohibitive. The Texans are going to have to sign him or let him walk.

Guess which one Barwin is hoping for?

“I just don’t think that’s going to happen,” he said of the possibility of Williams leaving. “I’m pretty sure. He had five sacks in the first five games, so who knows what his production would have been. In Wade Phillips’ system in this defense you need three outside backers to rotate and me and Brooks have been pretty much playing every single snap. That can wear you down a little bit. We’d love Mario back so that we could get a little bit of a rotation going and hopefully all play better.”

AWOL sacks: While he finished the regular season with 11.5 sacks, it could have been 13.5. (We thought he lost three sacks as we talked, but ESPN Stats and Info says it was only two.)

“I’m so happy you noticed those ...” Barwin said. “Nobody else has ever noticed that.”

Each of the lost sacks were turned back because of penalties, though of course we must consider that the penalty could have given him the time to make the play. Week 4 against Pittsburgh Barwin to Ben Roethlisberger but Brice McCain erased it with an illegal contact call. And Week 13 against Atlanta, Barwin got Matt Ryan but lost the play because of defensive holding against McCain.

I agree, that was a rookie mistake on Nix's part. The Bills haven't had a good, consistent pass rush in years. Even though Schobel was good, his sacks mainly came in bunches and he could never get good consistent pressure. Plus, Schobel never had a good complimentary DE to go with. It's been painful watching the Bills D get eaten up by the opposing QB's for years now, because the QB's had all day long in the pocket. Jauron thought by having a great secondary, that would neutralize the passing game, well, that never worked, because eventually someone always got open because no one on our D could get to the QB.

It would be nice too find at least one young stud pass rusher. preferably one on each end. They will try but you got too worry. Will it be like how they "tried" to get receivers the last 2 years? I would have no problem dumping Merriman and kelsay. With the money going to upgrade the pass rush. Enough of this locker room leader crap. We need players. Let Dareus be the locker room guy, he wants it.He is part of the future. Not Chris Kelsay. The savings on those 2 guys alone would be huge. I think Merriman alone is due 6.5 million next year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/33304/barwin-expecting-mario-williams-back

Who knows what happens with Mario Williams since Conner Barwin had a huge year. Maybe the Texans think Barwin will be the better option because of his contract status while not losing a whole lot at the DE/OLB position.

Mario's status: Barwin may have helped make the Texans think Mario Williams, who is heading towards free agency, is expendable. With Barwin and Brooks Reed at outside linebacker since a torn chest muscle ended Williams' season, the team has gotten great production. Williams’ franchise tag would cost more than $16 million, which is salary-cap prohibitive. The Texans are going to have to sign him or let him walk.

Guess which one Barwin is hoping for?

“I just don’t think that’s going to happen,” he said of the possibility of Williams leaving. “I’m pretty sure. He had five sacks in the first five games, so who knows what his production would have been. In Wade Phillips’ system in this defense you need three outside backers to rotate and me and Brooks have been pretty much playing every single snap. That can wear you down a little bit. We’d love Mario back so that we could get a little bit of a rotation going and hopefully all play better.”

AWOL sacks: While he finished the regular season with 11.5 sacks, it could have been 13.5. (We thought he lost three sacks as we talked, but ESPN Stats and Info says it was only two.)

“I’m so happy you noticed those ...” Barwin said. “Nobody else has ever noticed that.”

Each of the lost sacks were turned back because of penalties, though of course we must consider that the penalty could have given him the time to make the play. Week 4 against Pittsburgh Barwin to Ben Roethlisberger but Brice McCain erased it with an illegal contact call. And Week 13 against Atlanta, Barwin got Matt Ryan but lost the play because of defensive holding against McCain.

I'd love it if Boss Hogg could land Mario Williams, plus draft a good passing rushing DE in the early rounds. Merriman helped influence Barnett to sign with the Bills, maybe he can do it again with Williams.

It would be nice too find at least one young stud pass rusher. preferably one on each end. They will try but you got too worry. Will it be like how they "tried" to get receivers the last 2 years? I would have no problem dumping Merriman and kelsay. With the money going to upgrade the pass rush. Enough of this locker room leader crap. We need players. Let Dareus be the locker room guy, he wants it.He is part of the future. Not Chris Kelsay. The savings on those 2 guys alone would be huge. I think Merriman alone is due 6.5 million next year.

Having good pass rushers on each end would be great, especially since we play the Pats twice a year. I'm definitely not against the idea of dumping Kelsay & Merriman to use their salary on getting good pass rushers. IMO, Kelsay is a good situational player. He plays hard on every snap, but unfortunately is not a game changer.

I also worry that Boss Hogg talks a good game, but won't be able to deliver. Boss Hogg wants to get a WR in the mold of Calvin Johnson, a pass rusher (or two), a TE, CB (maybe two) and a OT. That's a good laundry list of things to get.

What exactly was he supposed to do? The team's cupboard was truly bear when he arrived. You can't seriously

expect him to solve every one of their myriad problems in one or two offseasons. I am certain that Nix knew

that Merriman was a gamble with a reasonably low cost (in NFL terms). He didn't like the LTs or DEs/OLBs available

in round 1 of the 2010 draft and he desperately needed run stuffing help. He felt that CJ Spiller was the best

player available and would help the offense to offset the defense's deficiencies. And he took Troup to shore up

the abysmal run D.

Now, the jury is still out on the Spiller pick, but he certainly looked good at the end of this season. Troup has

been injured - could happen to any draft pick.

I guess my point is, I think you are off base to think that Nix didn't realize the team needed more

pass rushing help.

I may be alone here in thinking that Merriman wasn't a rookie mistake by Nix - I think he knew very well Merriman might not make it - he had to - but, he was sold on the cheap of it, and the fans were sold of the name; these guys have shown one thing undisputably: they're not in any hurry to try to make any part of this team dominant. So, as much as it would be great to, and make a lot of sense to add a very good DE and OLB to the mix with Williams and Darius - an idea that would place an abundance of pressure on any opposition, the likes of it happening - at least, the likes of any of the fans being wowed by their moves is pretty slim.

I'm guessing they spend their number 1 pick this year on the best DE available, and go out in F.A. and get an OLB who can put together a 5-8 sack season. No big names, just a mid-level talent.

What exactly was he supposed to do? The team's cupboard was truly bear when he arrived. You can't seriously

expect him to solve every one of their myriad problems in one or two offseasons. I am certain that Nix knew

that Merriman was a gamble with a reasonably low cost (in NFL terms). He didn't like the LTs or DEs/OLBs available

in round 1 of the 2010 draft and he desperately needed run stuffing help. He felt that CJ Spiller was the best

player available and would help the offense to offset the defense's deficiencies. And he took Troup to shore up

the abysmal run D.

Now, the jury is still out on the Spiller pick, but he certainly looked good at the end of this season. Troup has

been injured - could happen to any draft pick.

I guess my point is, I think you are off base to think that Nix didn't realize the team needed more

pass rushing help.

Well, he knew Merriman's steroid past. He knew his injury history. 15 minutes in Merriman is Ir'd as a bill. What does Nix do? He resigns him to a very very good contract for 2011.Which BTW the Bills have recived zero value for. No one need bring up the he brought Nick Barnett in. That just is not true. Barnett was sitting there well into free agency before the Bills called (great signing BTW).Like most Bills moves Barnett was a huge gamble due too injury. This time it paid off though. This is now Nix's THIRD draft and free agency. We had nothing 3 years ago and nothing today. So yea the cupboard was bare when he got here. But it still is. As for Troupe. Well that little injury was there in college. Yet we drafted him anyways. Sorry Nix is to blame for not prioritizing anything that I can see.No skill poitions have been upgraded. We still have zero areas on the team we can call a strength going into year 3 of the Nix era. Dareus fell to us, it was a no brainer pick. A great pick, but again it was a can't miss pick.

Back to Merriman and the question what could Buddy do? Well, not put all his eggs in a roided, injured player, and if you do, have at least some back up plan. Oh wait he did have a back up plan. Putting marginal talent and have them play out of position! Nix dumster dives for all sorts of o-line, receivers, tight ends, etc. Our front 7 is a sieve and I guess that's how it's managed now.We will wait till next year.Sorry, good GM's don't sit on there hands. Not to mention his 2010 draft was a complete bust at the pass rushing positions. He got no one.Other than maybe a rotational player.I'm a little pissed off at the Nix/Gailey cronyism with signing georgia tech players, ex KC Qbacks (who suck) injured Charger cast offs, etc. Just doen't seem like a way to build a super bowl contending team. But I will admit we can build a 10-6 wildcard team, and it looks like that is exactly what the plan is.We don't even have a bona fide 3rd string quarterback! We got Brad Smith. So when the fitzmagic stops, Buddy has the same huge problem he has with OLB's. Having Brad Smith as a 3rd string quarterback is as insane as Kelsay being a friggin linebacker.

I'm all for giving these guys another year, and see what they can turnaround. Just losing the "patience" Ralph wants us to have for the better part of 53 years now.

I want to like Nix. But we have seen this same act before. For the first couple years, the GM thumbs his nose at the fans feeling that there isn't a real sense of urgency............then in year three they realize they gotta' do something fast!

Donahoe did the same thing when he was here.

The first year he preached patience....the next offseason he sniffed around Sam Adams as a way to resolve the leaky run defense but decided to take a pass...........then in year three he realized he was putting his head coach out of a job and fixed the mistake by adding Adams along with Takeo Spikes.

That's nice TD, but it's about the 500 yards that Ricky Williams put on your team that second season while you fiddled over paying a median wage to a sorely needed DT.

The Bills needed to be desperately working the phones and exhausting the options for pass rush help coming into this season. Then maybe they would have made the playoffs instead of losing 9 out of their last 10 and drafting in no-man's land (or more appropriately 'no QB'sland) again.

Yes, another note - the Bills knew last offseason they were in this same situation. They knew they didn't have any OLB's worth anything, and they went into the season that way. Merriman? No GM worth the position would count Merriman due to his risks.

Based on history, there is absolutely no reason to think Nix and Gailey are going to do anything to solve their personnel problems other than drafting and mid-level F.A.'s. That means all those NEEDS Nix admitted to seeing wont be addressed yet again. Only a few of them.

This is the Bills until they prove me wrong I'm not expecting anything of them by way of wins or substance.

I posted a similar topic. 2 good pass rushers at least. If you run a 43 you need at least 4 DE and 4 OLB's. We only have 2. If you Run a 34 we need 1 NT and 2 OLB's. My money is on staying with the 34 and getting 2 more OLB and one hybrid DE/OLB for when we use 4 man fronts.

I think we solve a lot of our issues by moving to a 4-3. Dareus and Williams at DT would be menacing you couldn't double both guys. The switch would also provide a boost to pass coverage. Our CBs wouldn't be on an island when we didn't get to the QB. The safety help a 4-3 provides would be huge, especially keeping a ballhawk like Byrd back there to make plays

Well if he read the message board before the season you would have thought moats was a hall of famer. Also dont forget we still had Maybin at that point and you would have hoped the guy did what the coaches told him to do (ie bulk up) during the lockout instead of being his rogue self and then subsequently getting pancaked in the 1st preseason game

I think we solve a lot of our issues by moving to a 4-3. Dareus and Williams at DT would be menacing you couldn't double both guys. The switch would also provide a boost to pass coverage. Our CBs wouldn't be on an island when we didn't get to the QB. The safety help a 4-3 provides would be huge, especially keeping a ballhawk like Byrd back there to make plays

The second half of your post is talking about going C2, which has nothing to do with 4-3 or 3-4 whatsoever. Also, C1 or C2, Byrd, being the FS, is going to be the deep help almost every play anyway. The only difference is if he's defending the middle or a half.