Pegs taking clues from Ralph

plenzmd1

So are the Sabres basically the Redskins of the NHL now?

Doc, I actually said that to friend of mine the other night! He's also originally from WNY... he looked at me for a second, thought about it and sadly shook his head.

Patience, patience, patience... I think 40 years of patience is just about enough, thankyouverymuch... may I have some results please?

Well, not quite. Had they brought in a cane-wielding Chris Chelios for $5M per, then added Todd Bertuzzi for a cool $7M and polished it off with Claude Lemieux for a bargain-basement $5M, it might be a more fitting comparison.

This is a team that just isn't very good.

Well, not quite. Had they brought in a cane-wielding Chris Chelios for $5M per, then added Todd Bertuzzi for a cool $7M and polished it off with Claude Lemieux for a bargain-basement $5M, it might be a more fitting comparison.

Ha, true, but the similarities are there.

So what is it? Time to cut ties with Ruff? :unsure: (yeah I said it!)

Ha, true, but the similarities are there.

So what is it? Time to cut ties with Ruff? :unsure: (yeah I said it!)

I'd hate to see him get axed while working with this roster. (Now I sound like Pegula.) Let's see what can happen when the real team is on the bench.

Regier, on the other hand, yeah.

I'd hate to see him get axed while working with this roster. (Now I sound like Pegula.) Let's see what can happen when the real team is on the bench.

I havent officially switched into hockey-mode yet, so I haven't been following closely.

What do you mean? Are we that injured right now?

So you want to see what Lindy can do with the team Regier put together, but you don't want to give that same benefit to Regier? That stance just doesn't add up to me.

So you want to see what Lindy can do with the team Regier put together, but you don't want to give that same benefit to Regier? That stance just doesn't add up to me.

Yes, that's right. Ruff has worked miracles with Regier's rosters. And it's clear Regier is going to get burned on the Leino signing. Regier should have been let go five years ago. (Yep, still whining about Briere.) :ph34r:

Yes, that's right. Ruff has worked miracles with Regier's rosters. And it's clear Regier is going to get burned on the Leino signing. Regier should have been let go five years ago. (Yep, still whining about Briere.) :ph34r:

So those miracles that you were refer to were the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons? Go back and and look at those teams and try to tell me they were weak rosters. The other "miracle" campaign, the 2009-2010 division championship was based completely on a Vezina season from Miller. So I don't see how that's miracle work from Ruff either.

So those miracles that you were refer to were the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons? Go back and and look at those teams and try to tell me they were weak rosters. The other "miracle" campaign, the 2009-2010 division championship was based completely on a Vezina season from Miller. So I don't see how that's miracle work from Ruff either.

No.

Also, we could play chicken-or-egg all day. Ruff's a good coach.

No.

Also, we could play chicken-or-egg all day. Ruff's a good coach.

Well then what miracle are you even talking about at this point? Take away those seasons and he's done nothing. I'd like to know exactly what standard you're using here.

Well then what miracle are you even talking about at this point? Take away those seasons and he's done nothing. I'd like to know exactly what standard you're using here.

Haha, perhaps my standard for "miracle" is skewed. With those rosters, finishing .500 is a miracle in my book. My bottom line is this: When you're fighting for a playoff spot -- if not position -- and the best move you can make at the deadline is obtaining Bob Corkum, you're not setting yourself up to do much.

Now, I know it takes two to tango, and for many years the purse strings were beyond tight, but he's never struck me as a risk-taker in terms of personnel. He's kept the Sabres' "future" in his back pocket for more than a decade.

At the end of the day, it's my worthless opinion. Although I think Ruff's a good coach --- who knows, maybe he's not the right coach for this particular team.

Well it's Pegs' first season.

It's started out looking that way but it's way too early to state that beyond as a question, as you did.

In 13 years, Snyder's Redskins have made the playoffs 3 times… so they're not very good either.

Well it's Pegs' first season.

It's started out looking that way but it's way too early to state that beyond as a question, as you did.

In 13 years, Snyder's Redskins have made the playoffs 3 times… so they're not very good either.

Comparing Pegula to Snyder is ridiculous. Pegula is being patient, Snyder never was. In the end, it may be the wrong call on Pegula's part (the Sabres looked like the worst team in the NHL vs the Islanders tonight), but Pegula needs to have a season or two under his belt before we start labeling him a fool, like Snyder. He took over a team last season, late, and made every positive change he could, at that time, for last season..if you recall, the team got very hot when he took over.

This off-season they added Regher and Erhoff, two solid pick-ups. Erhoff isn't the stay at home defensive guy we might like, but he was signed to be the guy that Brian Campbell used to be, a defensemen who could move the puck up the ice, and help offensively.

They also got rid of Tim Connolly and added Ville Llano, which appears to be a push at this point...though, I gotta say, I think I liked Connolly better. They got rid of one bad salary with TC, and it appears, so far, added one with VL.

They also extended Brad Boyes, who, is looking like a non-factor... this is hardly the same as adding washed up name-players, as Snyder did. It has been a tremendously disappointing season, so far, but even if they don't make it to the palyoffs, remember, they barely did last year, either...I won't condemn Pegula, until I at least see how he handles this disappointing season. Personally, as much as I really like Lindy Ruff, I don't think letting him coach elsewhere would be the worst thing for this team right now...they are as dead in the water as they ever have been, in the Ruff era. I don't think they are lacking talent, but, maybe, they just don't have talented pieces everywhere...they need to re-commit themselves to playing defensive hockey, particularly since nobody outside Vanek and Pomminville can score a goal. Trade Roy, and Stafford, before their perceived value gets any lower.

Sorry to rant...Sabres really pissing me off... even more than the Bills this season...