2011 Rookie class grades

MikeSpeed

I'm grading the player on their draft position in relationship to their play. I’m NOT grading on potential for next year!

DT Marcell Dareus B

He was very good, and lasted the year. For the Bills that is an accomplishment in itself. For me to give him a higher grade he would have had to have made a few more plays even through the double teams. A Pro Bowl berth is my A+ so B for the 3rd overall pick is really good!

CB Aaron Williams C+

I personally expected more from Williams. Injuries hampered him I know, but my college professor wouldn’t accept excuses so I’ll pay it forward. He showed flashes but so did McKelvin. He was rated as a low first rounded and maybe that’s why I expected more.

ILB Kelvin Sheppard C+

He is another player I expected more from. His play got better as the year went on. I just wish I’d have seen a play from him that said “yep that’s the guy we need”.

S Da’Norris Searcy B-

Remember that I’m not rating these guys as compared to the rest of the class, and I expect more from the first picks. With that said I didn’t expect to even see this guy on the field. He held his own and that counts for our 5th pick in the draft.

OT Chris Hairston B+

Come on who thought this guy was going to be anywhere near capable of playing let alone as well as he did. If he would have stayed healthy I’d have given him an A just for the pure unexpected shock of how well he played at times. Do I think he’s the long term starter? Nope! I was just pleasantly surprised by him.

RB Johnny White C-

Did some things on ST, but I would have thought with Jackson going down he would have gotten some carries. Kudos to the Bills for bring in Choice because he did OK, but it doesn’t say much for White.

LB Chris White Pass/Fail

8 Tackles and 1 forced fumble. Early IR (which to me is a negative) I’m being kind here.

CB Justin Rogers B-

His ST work and him playing the nickel at the end of the season was more than you can ask of a player 7th round pick.

OL Mike Jasper D

He didn’t get cut so he didn’t get an F. He was elevated at the end of the season so he didn’t get a D-

Flame away!

I'm grading the player on their draft position in relationship to their play. I’m NOT grading on potential for next year!

DT Marcell Dareus A-

CB Aaron Williams B/B+

ILB Kelvin Sheppard B

S Da’Norris Searcy B

OT Chris Hairston B+

RB Johnny White C-

LB Chris White C+

CB Justin Rogers B+

OL Mike Jasper Audited class, receives no grade.

I give the class a B- as a whole. Dareus was the right pick who will hopefully be a stud on the front 7 for years to come. Williams and Sheppard were picks that showed promise BUT failed make a major impact right away but that's hard for 2nd and 3rd round picks to do, their grade will be dependent on what they do next season. The mid round picks were OK Hariston made an impact the rest were OK. Justin Rodgers was a nice pickup in the late rounds.

Dareus (B+)

Williams and Sheppard (C+)

Searcy, Hariston, J.White (C+)

C.White, J.Rodgers, and Jasper (B +)

Overall B- Dareus only made a huge impact but it was a lot of promise in the other picks even if the impact was minimal.

Edited by billsfan89

Why all the love for Aaron Williams? The guy appears to has all the physical tools but he was oft burned for big plays. Maybe he gets better in time but I grade as a C- for now especially being a top pick in the 2nd round.

Why all the love for Aaron Williams? The guy appears to has all the physical tools but he was oft burned for big plays. Maybe he gets better in time but I grade as a C- for now especially being a top pick in the 2nd round.

I agree. I don't see what's so special about him. I think that Justin Rogers actually showed more potential in the limited time he was in there.

He did make some plays, though, so I would give him a C.

Burned for big plays, you say? Can you name one?

Not to mention that he was essentially covering #3 and #4 WR's most of the time. I think he may well work out, but he needs some schoolin.

Tim-

DT Marcell Dareus B

He was very good, and lasted the year. For the Bills that is an accomplishment in itself. For me to give him a higher grade he would have had to have made a few more plays even through the double teams. A Pro Bowl berth is my A+ so B for the 3rd overall pick is really good!

CB Aaron Williams C+

I personally expected more from Williams. Injuries hampered him I know, but my college professor wouldn’t accept excuses so I’ll pay it forward. He showed flashes but so did McKelvin. He was rated as a low first rounded and maybe that’s why I expected more.

ILB Kelvin Sheppard C+

He is another player I expected more from. His play got better as the year went on. I just wish I’d have seen a play from him that said “yep that’s the guy we need”.

S Da’Norris Searcy B-

Remember that I’m not rating these guys as compared to the rest of the class, and I expect more from the first picks. With that said I didn’t expect to even see this guy on the field. He held his own and that counts for our 5th pick in the draft.

OT Chris Hairston B+

Come on who thought this guy was going to be anywhere near capable of playing let alone as well as he did. If he would have stayed healthy I’d have given him an A just for the pure unexpected shock of how well he played at times. Do I think he’s the long term starter? Nope! I was just pleasantly surprised by him.

RB Johnny White C-

Did some things on ST, but I would have thought with Jackson going down he would have gotten some carries. Kudos to the Bills for bring in Choice because he did OK, but it doesn’t say much for White.

LB Chris White Pass/Fail

8 Tackles and 1 forced fumble. Early IR (which to me is a negative) I’m being kind here.

CB Justin Rogers B-

His ST work and him playing the nickel at the end of the season was more than you can ask of a player 7th round pick.

OL Mike Jasper D

He didn’t get cut so he didn’t get an F. He was elevated at the end of the season so he didn’t get a D-

Flame away!

Just to be clear, you were shocked at how well a rookie- who, mind you, has plenty of size- played at Left Tackle, would have given him an A if he didn't get hurt, but are certain he is not a long-term starter. Got it.

Here's what Kiper had to say:

Buffalo Bills

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: Leading up to the draft, there were many questions about whether the Bills would take a quarterback. After all, Ryan Fitzpatrick had no real security, and, if Cam Newton had fallen to Buffalo at No. 3, I suspected Buddy Nix would pull the trigger. Newton didn't fall; the Bills went for defense; and I wrote then that Fitzpatrick should "feel good about this draft" because he was "clearly the preferred starter." Fitzpatrick got off to a good start, and the Bills doubled down in giving him a contract extension. As for the picks, I'd say Buffalo confirmed the grade. Great value, so-so on need. Marcell Dareus gave them 15 starts and looks every bit like a versatile, disruptive defensive lineman who could be productive in almost any system. I'm not yet ready to say he's a Pro Bowl lock, but the ceiling is there, no question. I said third-round pick Kelvin Sheppard should be ready to help early, and he played in every game, giving the Bills nine starts. Second-rounder Aaron Williams has some growing to do, but he should start in 2012. Da'Norris Searcy has a chance to develop after a switch to safety. Chris Hairston also gave Buffalo some starts as an injury replacement. This grade rises if Dareus reaches a Pro Bowl level.

New grade: B+

Here's what Kiper had to say:

Buffalo Bills

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: Leading up to the draft, there were many questions about whether the Bills would take a quarterback. After all, Ryan Fitzpatrick had no real security, and, if Cam Newton had fallen to Buffalo at No. 3, I suspected Buddy Nix would pull the trigger. Newton didn't fall; the Bills went for defense; and I wrote then that Fitzpatrick should "feel good about this draft" because he was "clearly the preferred starter." Fitzpatrick got off to a good start, and the Bills doubled down in giving him a contract extension. As for the picks, I'd say Buffalo confirmed the grade. Great value, so-so on need. Marcell Dareus gave them 15 starts and looks every bit like a versatile, disruptive defensive lineman who could be productive in almost any system. I'm not yet ready to say he's a Pro Bowl lock, but the ceiling is there, no question. I said third-round pick Kelvin Sheppard should be ready to help early, and he played in every game, giving the Bills nine starts. Second-rounder Aaron Williams has some growing to do, but he should start in 2012. Da'Norris Searcy has a chance to develop after a switch to safety. Chris Hairston also gave Buffalo some starts as an injury replacement. This grade rises if Dareus reaches a Pro Bowl level.

New grade: B+

So, Dareus has virtually unlimited potential, "but the ceiling is there, no question."

Does Kiper even read this stuff?

OMG - for shame a rookie CB gets burned on a few.

He did great - remember he didn't have a proper training time because of injuries.

If you want to hold injuries against him, fine.

So, Dareus has virtually unlimited potential, "but the ceiling is there, no question."

Does Kiper even read this stuff?

Huh? I didn't see "unlimited potential". Versatile, disruptive, productive in any system is what I read. His ceiling is that of a Pro Bowler. (I'm no Kiper fan either tbh)

Grading them individually is fine and good - but what's most impressive is that at the end of the year almost all have a place and a chance to stick.

When was the last time you could say that? I'm optimistic and hopeful every year right after the draft, only to be crushed when half (or more!) of the picks don't pan out. Relative to their draft position, it's a year later, and almost all the picks still look pretty good....another year or two will tell a lot more, but for now, kudos to OBD.

Huh? I didn't see "unlimited potential". Versatile, disruptive, productive in any system is what I read. His ceiling is that of a Pro Bowler. (I'm no Kiper fan either tbh)

Oh, it was no criticism of yours...

it just seemed like an odd (if not completely wrong) choice of "ceiling."

DT Marcell Dareus revised A-

CB Aaron Williams Revised B

ILB Kelvin Sheppard Revised C-

S Da’Norris Searcy B-

OT Chris Hairston B+

RB Johnny White C-

LB Chris White Pass/Fail

CB Justin Rogers B-

OL Mike Jasper N/A

Flame away!

I understand Dareus has high expectations, but to give him anything below an A- (yes, I know meaningless arbitrary grades) is crazy IMO. The guy was an absolute monster all year, and pretty much singelhandedly prevented us from having the worst defense in the league.

Williams had to battle injuries, but when healthy he was an absolute stud. He was by far the best CB on our team when healthy, a future star IMO.

Sheppard has a lot to prove, and struggled his rookie year.

Rogers showed flashes of nickle CB ability, mixed with some impressive ST work.

I kind of had high hopes for Johnny white, but apparently the coaches didn't think very highly of him. They gave him virtually no chances when FJ went down...

Really? Florence and McKelvin were burned all up and down the field this season...Williams was the only one that DIDN'T consistently give up big plays. He had a tough day against the Pats (as did all Bills defenders), but other than that was amazing all year (when healthy) IMO. I think you guys have your CB's a little mixed up...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

You make it sound like rookie CBs never get burned. I guarantee you that there has never been a rookie CB that hasn't looked absolutely silly at times. It comes with more playing time in the NFL.