The Spiller Pick

opfball91

calling Captain Hindsight....

Pro Bowl: Maurkice Pouncey, Rob Gronkowski, Jason Pierre-Paul, Earl Thomas, Devin McCourty

Solid Starters: Bulaga, Tebow, Demaryius Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Iupati

Nice Backup: Spiller

Good point, come to think of it I wonder how Spiller would have looked playing for any of the respective teams that drafted the players you mentioned. I am sure that if we faced Spiller as a Giant or Patriot this past season we would have shut him down quite easily. Better yet, Spiller playing for the Packers would be a huge joke too.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, come to think of it I wonder how Spiller would have looked playing for any of the respective teams that drafted the players you mentioned. I am sure that if we faced Spiller as a Giant or Patriot this past season we would have shut him down quite easily. Better yet, Spiller playing for the Packers would be a huge joke too.

I'm sensing a little sarcasm... :-)

I was going to post the exact same thing, glad you did so in this manner.

With the lone exception of Earl Thomas (safety), all the guys mentioned have tremendous supporting casts. With Marshawn and FJ on the roster already, the TSW RB meltdown was severe enough, can you imagine if the first Nix/Gailey pick would have been a...SAFETY!? :w00t:

I'm sensing a little sarcasm... :-)

I was going to post the exact same thing, glad you did so in this manner.

With the lone exception of Earl Thomas (safety), all the guys mentioned have tremendous supporting casts. With Marshawn and FJ on the roster already, the TSW RB meltdown was severe enough, can you imagine if the first Nix/Gailey pick would have been a...SAFETY!? :w00t:

As hard as I try not to live in the past you are so right, if we would have picked a safety I would have lost my mind, again.

I'm now happy with the Spiller pick… something I couldn't say before the week 13 game against Tennessee just 5 weeks ago.

I was just about resigned to putting him in the bust column.

Now I'm excited about his potential.

The irony of course is that once Spiller showed the world that he was capable of great things, the Bills decided to underutilize him and employ Tashard Choice as the 3rd down back.

Gailey needs to stop it with picking up GT players he used to coach. Someone needs to stop this nonsense. McIntyre is a much better choice for 3rd down back. But, did the Bills even run it on 3rd down? In short yardage situations it seemed they ALWAYS passed.

Pretty easily - that drafting strategy has produced records of 4-12 and 6-10. Strategies that lead to terrible records tend to be criticized.

When Nix took over he was basically de-constructing the roster he inherited from the prior regimes and was rebuilding the roster. If you expected a quick turn around you are being unrealistic. Under Jauron and his mind-set the Bills could regularly go 7-9. So what if he had more wins in a season. His type of approach leads to perpetual mediocrity. The Bills have a better chance of being a serious team under Nix than they had over the past miserable decade of the prior front offices.

I'm now happy with the Spiller pick… something I couldn't say before the week 13 game against Tennessee just 5 weeks ago.

I was just about resigned to putting him in the bust column.

Now I'm excited about his potential.

The irony of course is that once Spiller showed the world that he was capable of great things, the Bills decided to underutilize him and employ Tashard Choice as the 3rd down back.

Taashard Choice's playing time in the last few games was a true head scratcher. CJ would bust loose get 20+ yards and he would be pulled with Choice getting the ball on the next play.

Gailey made quite a few head scratching calls during 2011. This was near the top of them. I still hold the opinion that Gailey has not transitioned well back to the NFL. Unless CJ had some incentives that would have kicked in on say multiple 100 yard rushing games. And someone higher than Gailey did not want him too get them, there just is no reason to do that. Even that theory is just a wild guess. If it was conditioning then he wouldn't have been out there in the first place. Our running game was one of only a few strengths last season, and Gailey ignored it for the most part.

The playing from behind theory doesn't work either. Or at least it didn't in a few games. Like the first half of Patriots 2 game.

Edited by Best Player Available

I gotta be honest. I, as most of you were, was excited about Spiller's potential, but upset that we drafted a seeming luxury pick instead of something of true need. Bills fans knew Freddy Jackson was the real deal, but Gailey was unsure. This regime wanted to draft a playmaker to build their offense around, and ended up finding that in Jackson. Obviously if they had done their homework I think they would have known Freddy was a real running back and the pick for Spiller may have gone towards something different. I suppose my point is, I trust their judgement at this point, and I think they're taking the Bills in the right direction. Very excited to see what they can do with Spiller being more established and Freddy splitting the carries. I see the Bills leading the league in rushing next year, taking a lot of the pressure off of Fitz, something we saw late in the season he doesn't handle very well.

Go Bills!

I said it then and I will repeat.........it was a bad pick regardless of how productive he becomes. The Bills had two very talented running backs, one of which they had just drafted in round 1 two years earlier for chrissake.

But even more to the point, RB's are easy to find and even runners with outrageous numbers are not that impactful.

When the Bills took Spiller the top rushers in the AFC/NFC were Chris Johnson and Steven Jackson. Their exploits not only failed to get their team to the playoffs, but their teams were big losers. Adrian Peterson? How has he impacted the Vikings the past couple years.

Running backs aren't nearly as important as they used to be and what's more, their careers tend to be shorter than those of QB's, OT's and pass rushers(DE/OLB).

Even if you DON'T have two very good ones on your roster, you don't need to draft one in the first round.

When will Bills fans wise up to this? I mean the argument that he was the best player available is the same nonsense that was used with the McGahee pick.

People seem to forget, the draft is not just about getting the best runners and jumpers, it's about supply and demand. Running backs are ALWAYS............ALWAYS......... in supply.

It's the aforementioned big/talented players and the QB's which are not. Therefore, that needs to be weighed HEAVILY into any player evaluation beyond just who is the most athletic or whatever "best player" means to you.

I said it then and I will repeat.........it was a bad pick regardless of how productive he becomes. The Bills had two very talented running backs, one of which they had just drafted in round 1 two years earlier for chrissake.

But even more to the point, RB's are easy to find and even runners with outrageous numbers are not that impactful.

When the Bills took Spiller the top rushers in the AFC/NFC were Chris Johnson and Steven Jackson. Their exploits not only failed to get their team to the playoffs, but their teams were big losers. Adrian Peterson? How has he impacted the Vikings the past couple years.

Running backs aren't nearly as important as they used to be and what's more, their careers tend to be shorter than those of QB's, OT's and pass rushers(DE/OLB).

Even if you DON'T have two very good ones on your roster, you don't need to draft one in the first round.

When will Bills fans wise up to this? I mean the argument that he was the best player available is the same nonsense that was used with the McGahee pick.

People seem to forget, the draft is not just about getting the best runners and jumpers, it's about supply and demand. Running backs are ALWAYS............ALWAYS......... in supply.

It's the aforementioned big/talented players and the QB's which are not. Therefore, that needs to be weighed HEAVILY into any player evaluation beyond just who is the most athletic or whatever "best player" means to you.

I agree what you say above. But what's done is done. The fact they picked CJ at 9 and now use him like he's some kind of China doll, is really just one of the reasons why you got to wonder if Gailey could ever take us too the promised land. He would be a good OC. As a head coach he appears over his head. He is going into year 3 now and I still haven't been shown anything, in regards too him delivering Buddy's baby yet.

Using your line of reasoning concerning drafting HBs in the first round you are concluding that the Vikings made a mistake drafting Peterson and the Titans made a mistake drafting Chris Johnson. Most people would disagree with that judgment for those teams. My view is that if you can get an impactful playmaker with your first round pick then it is a quality selection.

The unanswered question in the year Spiller was drafted has little to do with him. He has clearly demonstrated an ability to make big plays, the reason why he was selected. The question marks in that particular draft relate to Carrington and Troup. If they develop it should be considered a quality draft. If they don't, or one of them fails to advance as players then it was a very mediocre draft class.

Edited by JohnC

Once again Spiller was not a luxury pick. The Bills knew how good Jackson was. Everyone did. go and look at that draft. Name one player the Bills should have taken in the first round. The only one is Pierre Paul who was taken 5 picks later. The Bills took the best player available which was Spiller who fell to them.

there is nothing luxury about it. the Bills take the best player available period under Buddy Nix.

I dont understand how we passed on that can't miss Jimmy Clausen tho :rolleyes:

When Nix took over he was basically de-constructing the roster he inherited from the prior regimes and was rebuilding the roster. If you expected a quick turn around you are being unrealistic. Under Jauron and his mind-set the Bills could regularly go 7-9. So what if he had more wins in a season. His type of approach leads to perpetual mediocrity. The Bills have a better chance of being a serious team under Nix than they had over the past miserable decade of the prior front offices.

By Nix's own standards, he should be judged only on wins and losses. "Show me the baby... and the baby is winning." So far, he's done poorly, to the tune of 10 wins and 22 losses. His critics will shut up when the team produces wins, which, according to Mr. Nix, is the only time they should shut up. That's that.

Once again Spiller was not a luxury pick. The Bills knew how good Jackson was. Everyone did. go and look at that draft. Name one player the Bills should have taken in the first round. The only one is Pierre Paul who was taken 5 picks later. The Bills took the best player available which was Spiller who fell to them.

there is nothing luxury about it. the Bills take the best player available period under Buddy Nix.

Brian Bulaga. Starting LT on the Superbowl Champs or Pierre-Paul would have been better picks for the Bills.

I don't care if Spiller goes on to have a great career, I still hate the pick.

We had Lynch and Jackson, Spiller was a waste. Plus, RBs like him can be had in later rounds (Dexter McCluster).

We had much bigger needs that have still not been addressed.

Say what you want but I hate the pick. I am glad that Spiller is finally contributing, but the whole thing was still idiotic. Use a top ten pick on a position or strength without addressing the weaknesses and then trade Lynch for an extra jock strap. These types of moves are why the Bills are where they are.

Edited by Maddog69

Using your line of reasoning concerning drafting HBs in the first round you are concluding that the Vikings made a mistake drafting Peterson and the Titans made a mistake drafting Chris Johnson. Most people would disagree with that judgment for those teams.

What part of my post did you derive that line of reasoning from?

It is true that those teams have not translated huge rushing numbers to the win column.........and It's true that there are many very compelling arguments against EVER drafting a running back in round one. In fact, the evidence is impossible to ignore. But I never said that and that was certainly....ABSOLUTELY not the only point with regard to the merit of the Spiller pick.

The Bills drafted a RB in round one 3 times in 7 years.... the third of which(Spiller) was taken while they still had two very talented ones on the roster. Including Marshawn Lynch who is just one year younger than Spiller(24 to 25).

Lynch was traded for very little and subsequenlty ran for 1200 yards and 12 TD's this year. But what's more, he was outperformed by Fred Jackson. It's safe to say drafting Spiller with such a very valuable pick was to say the least unnecessary.

The Bills also had an otherwise talent-poor roster at the time of drafting Spiller.

I know blindly loyal fans can justify anything in their heads, but it was simply not a smart pick.

I subscribe to the Belichick theory that you have to be making bad decisions almost all the time to be a bad organization. Belichick proves this with his spotty drafts but sparkling record.

But it's almost DIFFICULT to be as bad as the Bills. It requires a degree of irrationality that sets you apart from the pack. You want your new regime to be above that. That's why the pick was particularly disturbing.

Edited by Dick Drawn

I'm glad that Spiller is playing better but disliked the pick from the moment they made it when I thought Spiller was going to be somewhere between Reggie Bush and Chris Johnson- It's not like people who disliked the pick thought Spiller was untalented just that we had two talented RBs and needs at OL, DL, TE, and WR.

Under Buddy Nix the Bills are 10-22. How's that strategy workin? :bag:

I expect the Spiller band wagon to get even bigger next season when he finishes proving all of his nay sayers wrong If you couldn't tell tat the guy was talented from what he did in college you need to stop evaluating NFL talent !!

But most of you would have us pass on him & the Pats get him & then :censored: because we passed on him .

is freddy going to be the freddy we fell in love with in 3 years? 4? 5?

spiller will be here and will be take over as the feature back when freddy starts to show his age.

maybe it's lucky, or maybe you can see that buddy isnt thinking about "next year," but that he's thinking about the next decade when he's making picks.

is freddy going to be the freddy we fell in love with in 3 years? 4? 5?

spiller will be here and will be take over as the feature back when freddy starts to show his age.

maybe it's lucky, or maybe you can see that buddy isnt thinking about "next year," but that he's thinking about the next decade when he's making picks.

Spiller will be 25 this season, I'd say it's a reach to expect him to be a starting rb for 10 the next decade......or even the next 8 years if you count his redshirt year and last year.

Freddie is bound to decline soon, being over the age of 30. But that being said, if you need a RB, just go out and get one later in the draft.

Not a key position in the NFL anymore.

Having an elite one doesn't give you a big edge over a team with an average producer.

The league is increasingly more about total yards and the scoring that results. A big day passing can produce 500 yards. A big day rushing would be less than half of that.

There was a time many years ago when the quality of your running back was critical. That was also a time when it was hard to play QB in the NFL.

You could have a top QB and he could still struggle and you could still win. Terry Bradshaw threw 26TD and 25 ints and had a rating of 77.0 in 1979. He was only slightly better the year before. Pittsburgh won back-to-back bowls and Bradshaw went on to the HOF.

Those are Ryan Fitzpatrick-esque numbers now. Back then they were acceptable because it was HARD to succeed throwing the ball back then.

Now, the situation is reversed. You play to enhance your passing game and stop your opponents. You differentiate by the quality at the QB position now.....not the RB.

There are always exceptions but the consistent, repeat winners of the past decade have had elite ability in the passing game. Running game? Meh. Mixed bag, but increasingly less in recent years. And the new rules of the past year only make it even more of a passing league.

Edited by Dick Drawn

Teams surely feel pressure to "keep up with the Mannings/Bradys/Rodgers/Breeses" in today's game. The rules do favor the offense and the passing game in particular.

Interestingly, all of the top 5 passing offenses made the playoffs and 2 of the bottom 5. Only 2 of the top running offenses and 2 of the bottom 5. 4 of the top 5 defenses made it in while 2 of the bottom 5 did as well.

The one thing that comes out of that is that a great passing offense can make up for a terrible defense -- simply outgunning the opposition on the scoreboard -- as well as a lame rushing attack. If a team isn't elite in its aerial bombardment, then they must have a stud defense with an upper 1/3 sort of running game -- which would sort of fit with the concept of holding the ball, keeping the score down, etc.

The Bills finished between the Redskins and Bucs in average passing offense in the middle of the NFL pack. So, it seems they'll either have to discover a top defense (overtaking 2/3 of the NFL) and grinding running attack or vault into rarefied air in their passing game to make the playoffs next season.