Senior Bowl QBs named…

This year most of the NFL draft discussion surrounding quarterbacks has been about juniors who are declaring for the draft (Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III) or juniors who are staying in school (Matt Barkley, Landry Jones).

And when we’ve talked about a senior quarterback recently, it’s been to note that Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill is injured and out of the Senior Bowl. So who does that leave to play in the Senior Bowl?

Via our friend Adam Caplan, the six Senior Bowl quarterbacks are in place: Boise State’s Kellen Moore, San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson, Arizona’s Nick Foles and Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/senior-bowl-quarterbacks-in-place/

http://www.drafttek.com/CMDRound1.asp

You won't have to scroll down much.

im sorry astro, but that SIM is frankly ridiculous, there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ingram and jeffrey slip to rd 2, weeden in rd 1 is absurd, and landry jones isnt even coming out. Thats just what jumped out at me.

Edited by CarolinaBill

im sorry astro, but that SIM is frankly ridiculous, there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY ingram and jeffrey slip to rd 2, weeden in rd 1 is absurd, and landry jones isnt even coming out. Thats just what jumped out at me.

Weeden is going top 20.

and just like you said No Way Jeffrey slips to #20 let alone #40.

This year most of the NFL draft discussion surrounding quarterbacks has been about juniors who are declaring for the draft (Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III) or juniors who are staying in school (Matt Barkley, Landry Jones).

And when we’ve talked about a senior quarterback recently, it’s been to note that Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill is injured and out of the Senior Bowl. So who does that leave to play in the Senior Bowl?

Via our friend Adam Caplan, the six Senior Bowl quarterbacks are in place: Boise State’s Kellen Moore, San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson, Arizona’s Nick Foles and Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/11/senior-bowl-quarterbacks-in-place/

Boise State’s Kellen Moore, - Doesn't belong in the NFL

San Diego State’s Ryan Lindley, - Doesn't belong in the NFL

Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins, - I like him in college a lot, Can be a backup development QB, and then . . . maybe

Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson, - I like him in college a lot, Can be a backup development QB, and then . . . probably not

Arizona’s Nick Foles - I like him in college a lot, Can be a backup development QB, and then . . . He has a real chance

Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden. Will be a Top 20 pick and may even be starting for the Dolphins or Redskins in September 2012.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The Simulator uses the Big Board and the previous week's Team Needs given them via team analysts.

On the Big Board (Revised January 8, 2012), notice the last column, Chg. That's the change from the previous Big Board (ten days ago, which I believe was before the South Carolina game).

The talent guys that do the board aren't raising a guy's stock because he's "famous for being famous". A great place to discuss WHY a player is where he is, would be here at DraftTek's player comment forum.

Astro

I don't see Weedon as a first rounder. For much the same reason, guys like Weinke,Hutchinson, and Beck weren't first rounders.

Weeden isn't Weinke, Hutchinson or Beck.

The only people that seemed concerned about his age are fans.

If he were 22 he is a top 5 pick.

Being 28 at the QB position isn't going to drop to the 4th.

Weinke, Hutchinson or Beck were never Top 5 picks if you take away their age.

Beck was a 2nd rounder,Weinke went in rd 4, and Hutchinson wasn't drafted by a NFL team. So my bad on Hutch. But the age thing is an issue. If Weedon wants to go in the first. He has to go into the combine, and blow people away while throwing, and then convince NFL teams he's ready to start day 1. He's 28 years old. That means he has a window, thats about 6 years narrower than other top QB's. Is it fair? Probably not, but it does exist.

From what i remember & this doesn't come from some one that watches a lot of college football but Kirk Cousins & Brandon Weeden had a good season this year but i heard more about Cousins & just from what little bit i know he doesn't sound like a terrible prospect in a later round !!!

The Simulator uses the Big Board and the previous week's Team Needs given them via team analysts.

On the Big Board (Revised January 8, 2012), notice the last column, Chg. That's the change from the previous Big Board (ten days ago, which I believe was before the South Carolina game).

The talent guys that do the board aren't raising a guy's stock because he's "famous for being famous". A great place to discuss WHY a player is where he is, would be here at DraftTek's player comment forum.

Astro

Who is "famous for being famous"

T-hill doesn't need the reps anyway :D would like to see him one more time but we'll being seeing him plenty with his new # 17 Bills jersey anyway.

I know Weeden is an old man, but heck if you could get him in the 5th-7th rounds he'd be great as a backup at least.

PTR

He'd be better than a backup "old man" has a nice arm, highly unlikely he goes 5-7 but it's nice to dream.

I saw Foles play live. He was awesome. Granted, it was against the Toledo Rockets. But I am curious to see this group of QBs and would bet that our QB comes out of this group in the 3rd/4th round.

Poor QB draft this year, unless you are drafting in the top 5. No QB for Bills this year. Maybe blow a 5 or 6 on a QB, but thats about it. We have our guy for better or (probably) worse. If the Bills put another 7 or 8 starters on IR by midseason and suck next year, it will be the 3-13 kind of suck, and then you go get a QB. However I believe, if and only if they are mainly healthy all year, we can expect something like 9-7 and get blown up in an away wild card game. Big success. Yeah. And no QB.

No prediction as to what will happen, but teams definitely should be concerned about his age. A 27/28 year old man in his physical prime playing against 19-22 year olds who are still developing is not a fair fight. He may still be a legit prospect (I've never seen him play, so I can't comment on that), but his production was definitely inflated by the fact that he was almost literally a man among boys. How inflated is probably pretty tough to tell, but combine that with the limited upside presented by his age, and he's a pretty risky pick in the first round. It's probably a tough sell to convince an owner to draft a QB in the first round who'll be 32 by the time his rookie deal expires.

He may well turn out to be a good NFL player, but the risk is too high and the ceiling too low for me. I wouldn't touch him in a high round. Age is usually not much of a factor in the NFL draft, because most draftees are around the same age, and a year or two doesn't make a huge difference in terms of football ability. But it comes into play in the NBA draft all the time, because a year or two makes a significant difference there, and you have draftees ranging from 18 (Euros only, 19 for American draftees) to 22 or 23 (seniors). And the older players need to have MUCH better numbers than the younger players in order to justify the same draft position. Late bloomers are a lot more common in the NFL, but the same principle applies when you're talking about a guy in his late 20s vs. guys in their early 20s.