Bills draft

1. Quinton Coples DE, North Carolina. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

2. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey coached him in college.

3. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina. Good value at spot and can never have enough corners.

4. Jake Bequette DE, Arkanas. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

4b. Tom Compton OT, South Dakota. Nix said he would draft an OT.

5. Cobi Hamilton WR, Arkanas. Depth at WR.

Nix likes players from the south, ACC and SEC.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Quinton Coples DE, North Carolina. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

2. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech. Coach Gailey coached him in college.

3. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina. Good value at spot and can never have enough corners.

4. Jake Bequette DE, Arkanas. Switching back to a 4-3. Team needs two pass rushers.

4b. Tom Compton OT, South Dakota. Nix said he would draft an OT.

5. Cobi Hamilton WR, Arkanas. Depth at WR.

Nix likes players from the south, ACC and SEC.

I know nothing against the young man, but it makes me sad when I read of a draftee or FA "Chix drafted him" or "Nailey coached him in college" rather than "he's a fast beast and no one can shut him down"

It's not bad but I think we need at least one quality OLB in the draft. Even going back to 4-3 I think LB is still our weakest link, though pass-rushing DE moves up there

Nice draft. I'd like to see us take a depth 4-3 OLB as well.

That is almost a must, I don't see how we could not draft that position.

Im going to guess what you didnt see upshaw play last night.

He's going to be great

Upshaw looks great, but he is a 265# OLB that played exclusively in the 3-4 in college. If the Bills go 4-3 that might not make a ton of sense. Also, while his sack numbers were pretty good, he is not necessarily a big time pass rushing type IMO. I'm just not seeing the Bills going that direction unless they somehow stick to a 3-4.

I wish the Bills could draft the entire Alabama defense, DC included...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

That is almost a must, I don't see how we could not draft that position.

Upshaw looks great, but he is a 265# OLB that played exclusively in the 3-4 in college. If the Bills go 4-3 that might not make a ton of sense. Also, while his sack numbers were pretty good, he is not necessarily a big time pass rushing type IMO. I'm just not seeing the Bills going that direction unless they somehow stick to a 3-4.

I wish the Bills could draft the entire Alabama defense, DC included...

I was under the impression that he puts his hand a ground quite often. A little more weight and he could be a 4-3 DE. I just liked his instinct and even more importantly his size. Thats a pretty big guy to get straight out of college. I mean, he can't be worse than Kelsay :nana:

I was under the impression that he puts his hand a ground quite often. A little more weight and he could be a 4-3 DE. I just liked his instinct and even more importantly his size. Thats a pretty big guy to get straight out of college. I mean, he can't be worse than Kelsay :nana:

Kelsay is decent as a DE...Sure Upshaw might be able to play DE, or 4-3 LB in the NFL...But are the Bills really going to draft a guy like that and force him to change position? I just think his greatest value is at 3-4 OLB...

Kelsay is decent as a DE...Sure Upshaw might be able to play DE, or 4-3 LB in the NFL...But are the Bills really going to draft a guy like that and force him to change position? I just think his greatest value is at 3-4 OLB...

I agree about Kelsay -- he is a decent (i.e. average) NFL 4-3 DEnd, but a poor 3-4 OLB. I have an aversion to taking a player in college and immediately moving him to a new position. You are now guessing that he can make the move, rather than seeing it. Sometimes it's successful (see Brian Urlacher) and sometimes it's not (see many of the Bills picks). With a #10 pick, you need to be sure.

The thing I've noticed about Upshaw and Hightower is that both men do everything well.

Neither of them has one outstanding trait which stands out as elite but both of them have great instincts and are very powerful for their size. Both have excellent quickness, speed and leverage.

I noticed that even though Hightower is an inside backer that they often rush him from the edge… that's pretty impressive.

Both these guys have very high floors and neither would have any chance of being a bust.

Very safe picks, IMO.

I agree about Kelsay -- he is a decent (i.e. average) NFL 4-3 DEnd, but a poor 3-4 OLB. I have an aversion to taking a player in college and immediately moving him to a new position. You are now guessing that he can make the move, rather than seeing it. Sometimes it's successful (see Brian Urlacher) and sometimes it's not (see many of the Bills picks). With a #10 pick, you need to be sure.

Yeah, Keslay should be a 4-3 end. Upshaw should be a 3-4 OLB...IMO we shouldn't be drafting high picks, then forcing them into unfamiliar positions. If we aren't going to use a 3-4, I think we have to take someone that fits the scheme. I'll leave that up to Wanny though...

The thing I've noticed about Upshaw and Hightower is that both men do everything well.

Neither of them has one outstanding trait which stands out as elite but both of them have great instincts and are very powerful for their size. Both have excellent quickness, speed and leverage.

I noticed that even though Hightower is an inside backer that they often rush him from the edge… that's pretty impressive.

Both these guys have very high floors and neither would have any chance of being a bust.

Very safe picks, IMO.

Hightower really impressed me, even though he doesn't get quite as much attention. That guy looks like every bit the stud that Upshaw is...Even the young Mosley looked pretty good before his leg got mangled last night. That defense is simply loaded.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Kelsay is simply not a decent anything on the football field. Stop with the koolade. He is likely a very decent human being, but he has sucked year after year after year for the Bills. He had ONE good game as a Bill, and it came in this last season. Other than that below average from day one without exception. Draft a 7th rounder to replace him.

Kelsay is simply not a decent anything on the football field. Stop with the koolade. He is likely a very decent human being, but he has sucked year after year after year for the Bills. He had ONE good game as a Bill, and it came in this last season. Other than that below average from day one without exception. Draft a 7th rounder to replace him.

Based on what? Who on the Bills was better then him on the outside this year (yes, I know there isn't much in the way of competition)?

I suggest watching the Denver game again.

Kelsay is no star, he is not suited to be an OLB. But he certainly is a decent DE. He was the ONLY player other than Dareus who got any sort of pressure on the QB consistently this year, he also frequently attracted blocking help from the RB, since Edwards never called Blitzes... No he's not anything close to bruce smith or even aaron schobel, but to blame the defensive struggles on him is asinine. He is what he is, a serviceable middle of the road type of DE.

Replace him with a 7th rounder? So guys like Batten or Moats (both 6th rounders)? Oh yeah, they have really proven that they are the solution...While Carrington does show some promise (3rd rounder), he hasn't been able to consistently pressure the QB yet either.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It is hard to say because to appears as though they might be more activer in free agancy then usual

assuming they address wr in free agency , although my first choice to spend on would Avril de

First round pick is going to either Rieff, Kirpatrick,or upshaw , unless blackmon somehow slips through

Obviously, a pass rusher would be the top priority. My options would be Coples, if there, but most likely Upshaw, but dont sleep on Jerel Worthy from MSU. If the Bills drafted a OT, I would be really dissapointed. An ideal second rounder would be a OLB such as Ronell Lewis or maybe Lavonte David. I like a mock draft I saw on Walter Football that had the Bills taking WR Tommy Streeter from the U in the 3rd round. In later rounds, I would draft some O linemen and maybe 1 corner.

I think left tackle should be a priority in either round 1 or round 2. If we don't get him there, we had better get aggressive in free agency.

OLB is the next critical area, and then defensive end.

You build a winning team from the trenches back.

Ideally, perhaps. But it's not a linear process and you wouldn't pass up a highly rated blue chip OLB in favor of lower rated players at OT or DE, even if the latter are more important positions to a team on a relative scale. What I'm saying is if an OLB is the higher rated player on your board, take him. If it's the OT, take him. If it's a DE, take him. It just may be a WR and I have no problems if the Bills do that if he's the BPA on their board.

I wouldn't bank on FAgency to solve a problem at LT. They just don't become available that often. I haven't looked at who is available, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bell is considered one of the better OTs in FAgency.

GO BILLS!!!

Very safe picks, IMO.

This this this!

The Cream Dream would be getting Upshaw in the 1st and Hightower in the 2nd, but I think we may have to trade back into the 1st to get Hightower (which I would be happy doing).

The only thing Im afraid of now, is that Upshaw ends up as our next Patrick Willis and gets picked in the spot right before us... :unsure:

Ideally, perhaps. But it's not a linear process and you wouldn't pass up a highly rated blue chip OLB in favor of lower rated players at OT or DE, even if the latter are more important positions to a team on a relative scale. What I'm saying is if an OLB is the higher rated player on your board, take him. If it's the OT, take him. If it's a DE, take him. It just may be a WR and I have no problems if the Bills do that if he's the BPA on their board.

I wouldn't bank on FAgency to solve a problem at LT. They just don't become available that often. I haven't looked at who is available, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bell is considered one of the better OTs in FAgency.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree with you. While the biggest need is OT and there are two or even three franchise class OT's in this class, a true blue chip OLB would be a great choice as well. Left tackle has been a gaping and crippling hole since Peters left, so it has to be the number one or number two pick, IMHOP. I would have said number one PERIOD, but I had to leave room for a truly franchise non OT player who might drop to our pick.