Why Not A Proven Winner ??

T master

I've always been told that there are no stupid questions just stupid answers , so before you answer this post think about what you type as a reply Bills fans ..

I read a bunch of posts on here about Ryan Tannenhill all the time & how they think we should get him as a developmental QB prospect . So i did some poking around & found out by his college stat line the guy has only truly played 3 years for one & his stats aren't all that & a bag of chips .. Along with the fact that his winning percentage isn't really all that good ..

So what is it that i'm missing on this guy ?? Sure he's a "PROTOTYPICAL NFL QB" !! But so was Jeff George .. I saw his bowl game this year & he still didn't really do all that much for me i thought he was decent but stat wise middle of the road at best .. :blink: ..

Would one of you please enlighten me on what or why every one is gravitating towards this guy when there are others out there that i for one think are much better prospects (for our Bills) as a developmental prospect with 10 times the college resume :worthy: ..

If you all would "BEFORE" typing out your answer just to avoid an answer that may put you in a group that would be mentioned along with the first sentence of my post , go check out 2 college stat lines one being Drew Brees & the other being Kellen Moore ..

The similarities are uncanny all the way through both of their college resumes , but i think Moore has a better winning percentage !!

Both were said to be to small (or not a prototypical NFL QB) to play in the NFL but Drew is proving all of the talking heads wrong year after year . If you do really compare the 2 there is not a lot of difference & Moores resume might be a bit better , their size & football inteligence is about the same , & if you look at them and come away with any thing less than Either one of them being a proven winner then your answer will be lumped in with the first sentence .

If we are to get a QB to eventually take Fitz place on our roster i don't want a guy that that EXPERTS say has a good upside but has shown that he is at best a middle of the road QB that the coaching staff will have to work on to bring out his potential . Then when it's all said & done the guy will want the moon & walk because we won't want to give the moon .. (reference : Jason Peters)

I want a guy that has proven that no matter where he has been in his career that he is first & foremost a winner , because if he is a winner his work ethic , leadership skills , decision making skills on & off the field & all other things that come along with winning are already in place . There may be a little bit of tweaking to their mechanics but in our situation where they will sit for a year or more that shouldn't be a problem .

I know that there has been a bunch of QB's that have been drafted to the NFL that can't transfer there ways in college to the NFL but i would rather have a late round bust at the position than a Ryan Leaf that will put our team back 3 more years at least . (reference : JP Losman)

And then there's the fact that we could probably get a guy like Moore (according to the experts) in like the 4th or 5th round which would give us higher picks to beef up our D and other areas that are in need of top flight players that can walk in and make an immediate contribution where the developmental QB will be a year or more away from contributing plus he will demand less in money while in the learning process ..

And if he isn't all that he can be an inexpensive back up QB !!

Well there you have it . I know there will be some that read this and won't really see or understand what was written (please refer to first sentence) :blink: then there will be the others that i will hopefully get a inteligent answer from that will compare (as i have asked) and give an informed answer based on the evidence , of which i will Thank you !! Here at the end of this post . Fire away BIlls fans !!!

Edited by T master

I'd take him in the 6th. Btw, asking people to compare college stats is stupid. Stats..... Geez

Well then how do the EXPERTS choose these guys ?? BY THERE COLLEGE STATS !! All's i was saying was compare the POSSIBILITY of this guy following in the footsteps of a already great QB ..

You sir will be the first in line of those that will be lumped in with the first sentence people !!!!!! And It's apparent that you follow direction well !! :nana:

Edited by T master

I have the attention span of a gnat. I didn't read the OP's entire post because it was entirely too long. I did want to reply and simply say this.

None of us have anything to do with this franchise, except for rabid fandom. We have ZERO input as to who this team drafts. So just stop already. They have highly paid professionals whose sole job it is to evaluate stats and watch these kids play. Buddy, Doug Whaley, Chan and the rest of the coaching/scouting staff will run this draft like they normally do (good or bad, depending on your opinion).

Just sit back, enjoy some Iberico ham, sip some wine, or smoke a fat blunt, or whatever the hell else you prefer. Good day ladies and gentlemen.

I have the attention span of a gnat. I didn't read the OP's entire post because it was entirely too long. I did want to reply and simply say this.

None of us have anything to do with this franchise, except for rabid fandom. We have ZERO input as to who this team drafts. So just stop already. They have highly paid professionals whose sole job it is to evaluate stats and watch these kids play. Buddy, Doug Whaley, Chan and the rest of the coaching/scouting staff will run this draft like they normally do (good or bad, depending on your opinion).

Just sit back, enjoy some Iberico ham, sip some wine, or smoke a fat blunt, or whatever the hell else you prefer. Good day ladies and gentlemen.

all threads should end this way. about time jamon iberico got some love here.

now, i'm gonna go hit some whippets. good day.

Edited by Dirtbag

As different as the replies on here have been - I think there is some truth to most of them. We don't have any input, so all this is just talk and venting. The team will do what it will do - nothing we say or hope for will change that.

But, I am also a Kellen Moore fan. I'd go so far as to say if the Bills evaluators think he is tall enough to see the field over the lines, and pass without the ball being knocked down time and again, then I'd get him in the third round before some other team gets him.

I'm also not opposed to Schoep's (is that how you write it? Bulldog and Schoep on WGR 550) idea of drafting numerous QB's until you get it right - and heck, if you end up with two good ones that's all the better, but if you end up with three bad ones, at least you know you tried, and you didn't just leave it to a guy who has already shown he is only mediocre at best.

Fan is short for fanatic of which i am and part of my fun of being that fan is speculating what the team should or shouldn't do . That being said this post was a question of what others that post here see in a player that i can't see in said player in hopes that they can enlighten me which apparently some folks don't get !!

Thanks any way !!!! But the blundt thing sounds wonderful !!!! :D

Fan is short for fanatic of which i am and part of my fun of being that fan is speculating what the team should or shouldn't do . That being said this post was a question of what others that post here see in a player that i can't see in said player in hopes that they can enlighten me which apparently some folks don't get !!

Thanks any way !!!! But the blundt thing sounds wonderful !!!! :D

I get it. My problem is that I don't watch college football. I couldn't tell you what would make Ryan Tannehill a good NFL Quarterback. I go by mostly what guys like Mike Mayock says. I also don't listen to the Kiper/McShay combo, I personally find them in the Skip Bayless league of revolting on air personalities that say stupid crap just to get a rise out of the masses. Bottom line is this, Marv Levy said that, as an employee of a NFL Franchise, if you listen to the fans, you're gonna end up joining them.

I do find some of the man love for these college athletes entertaining though. I remember when Dan LeFevour was the hot commodity on this site. Where is he now? Is he even in the league? haha. Can't wait for April!

He really only played a year and a half so 3 years is misleading and the games he played he did great. It was his defense and running game that let him down. They should have only lost one game this year and they would have been 11-1, in a BCS game and we'd be talking about him as a sure fire top ten pick.

RG3 was a second or third round prospect and then he wins the Heisman and now all of a sudden he's the second pick in the draft. Time will tell how both of them do but there is no basis for all this Tannehill dogging and we should draft him because he has elite talent, something we don't have in Fitz who would make a great mentor for RT.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

I get it. My problem is that I don't watch college football. I couldn't tell you what would make Ryan Tannehill a good NFL Quarterback. I go by mostly what guys like Mike Mayock says. I also don't listen to the Kiper/McShay combo, I personally find them in the Skip Bayless league of revolting on air personalities that say stupid crap just to get a rise out of the masses. Bottom line is this, Marv Levy said that, as an employee of a NFL Franchise, if you listen to the fans, you're gonna end up joining them.

I do find some of the man love for these college athletes entertaining though. I remember when Dan LeFevour was the hot commodity on this site. Where is he now? Is he even in the league? haha. Can't wait for April!

You mean the guy who just loooooved Blaine Gabbert and thought Cam Newton was a pile of dung? That Mike Mayock?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I lost all respect for Mayock last year with the Gabbert vs. Newton thing. I think the guy is a hack.

You mean the guy who just loooooved Blaine Gabbert and thought Cam Newton was a pile of dung? That Mike Mayock?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I lost all respect for Mayock last year with the Gabbert vs. Newton thing. I think the guy is a hack.

They're all hacks. I'm on my phone so I can't post the link but there is speculation kiper takes money to rank players higher on his big board. He has friendships with several agents that have been called into question.

I do wonder though to all of the "I don't watch college football" fans: do u get upset draft day about who is or isn't picked?

Edited by section122

They're all hacks. I'm on my phone so I can't post the link but there is speculation kiper takes money to rank players higher on his big board. He has friendships with several agents that have been called into question.

I do wonder though to all of the "I don't watch college football" fans: do u get upset draft day about who is or isn't picked?

It also had been rumored that Mayock is very good friends with Gabbert's agent and that this played a big part in his high praise of him.

He really only played a year and a half so 3 years is misleading and the games he played he did great. It was his defense and running game that let him down. They should have only lost one game this year and they would have been 11-1, in a BCS game and we'd be talking about him as a sure fire top ten pick.

RG3 was a second or third round prospect and then he wins the Heisman and now all of a sudden he's the second pick in the draft. Time will tell how both of them do but there is no basis for all this Tannehill dogging and we should draft him because he has elite talent, something we don't have in Fitz who would make a great mentor for RT.

Sounds like Blaine Gabbert last year, coming out of nowhere to become the hot media prospect at the 11th hour.

Edited by Rob's House

Sounds like Blaine Gabbert last year, coming out of nowhere to become the hot media prospect at the 11th hour.

Except for the part where RG III put up sick numbers and Blaine Gabbert's numbers were so low he was ranked around the 70th best college QB in the country.

I do think that too many NFL and draft evaluators focus on measurables, and frequently don't look at whether the kid is a winner. Manning was a great QB out of college, but his best asset was his ability to carry that Tenn team to a title. If someone could teach Tebow to pass, he would be the same. That's an exception. QB's fail in the NFL for a lot of reasons, but a guy like Trent Edwards, who had all the measurables, didn't show that he could will a team to victory like Montana or Kelly did. Yeah, you want a good arm and a quick mind, but intangible of leadership can't be taught. It's getting rarer, too. Most college teams have systems where the QB just does what he is told.

I'm sorry. But I'm sure that if you put Newton on the Jaguars and Gabbert on the Panthers you would have different results. I also know enough not to criticize rookies. Wait a few years.

kellen moore is a proven winner against the bottom of the barrel in terms of college competition. Drew brees played in a big ten that was at the time arguably the best college conference and drew brees has a first round arm and moore has a noodle. Greg mcelroy, chase daniels and graham harrel were all winners at the college level but that doesn't make them good pro prospects and the same goes for moore. A stud protypical franchise qb needs to be drafted in the next few years to turn this thing around and the answer surely isnt kellen moore.