Stadium Lease/Upgrades

I'm as guilty as the next guy of putting the cart before the horse when it comes to our team (MockDrafting, hoping for this player or that player, looking forward to next season) but wouldn't it make sense for the County, State and Bills to get together and come up with a "kick butt" Lease Agreement with a few upgrades so we aren't waiting until the 11th hour to get something done (which usually means you give alot more away if you agree to something in desperation). Have you guys heard anything??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm as guilty as the next guy of putting the cart before the horse when it comes to our team (MockDrafting, hoping for this player or that player, looking forward to next season) but wouldn't it make sense for the County, State and Bills to get together and come up with a "kick butt" Lease Agreement with a few upgrades so we aren't waiting until the 11th hour to get something done (which usually means you give alot more away if you agree to something in desperation). Have you guys heard anything??

i am hoping cuomo will be sympathetic to western new york and the bills. as we all know, taxpayer money to billionaires does not play well at the present time. rational thinking probably supports that premise, but as i and others are aware of, NY state gave millions in assistance to build yankee stadium and citi field. we are do our fair share, no matter what one's feeling is on taxpayer money to NFL owners. the politicos in ny state must come thru.if you want to look at it from strictly dollars and sense, the bills are a positive force.

Edited by dwight in philly

County is hiring an outside firm to handle the lease negotiations and Polancarz wants someone to know the lease inside and out before they do anything it seems. Looks like it gets done later than sooner from the County's perspective.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/erie-county/article694600.ece

GO BILLS!!!

Ralph came out and said he wanted to lock in new deal asap.

Bills hired firm to determine what improvement are needed.

Chris Collins was dragging his feet on issue...BUT..

New guy Polancrantz (?) made it a first order of business this week and is looking for law firm to negotiate terms.

We'll see what state offers. I know Cuomo just granted $1 Billion for regional upgrades and opportunities for new business to relocate in BFLO (Not sure this has any effect on stadium) but there seems to be some forward momentum.

Ralph came out and said he wanted to lock in new deal asap.

Bills hired firm to determine what improvement are needed.

Chris Collins was dragging his feet on issue...BUT..

New guy Polancrantz (?) made it a first order of business this week and is looking for law firm to negotiate terms.

We'll see what state offers. I know Cuomo just granted $1 Billion for regional upgrades and opportunities for new business to relocate in BFLO (Not sure this has any effect on stadium) but there seems to be some forward momentum.

Chris Collins was not dragging his feet. aside from the fact there was no guarantee he would be the county executive beyond last year (he's not), he was awaiting the completion of the Bills' study of Ralph Wilson Stadium before moving forward. that study is not yet complete. Poloncarz is picking up the baton and is now ensuring his ducks are in a row once talks begin.

jw

Chris Collins was not dragging his feet. aside from the fact there was no guarantee he would be the county executive beyond last year (he's not), he was awaiting the completion of the Bills' study of Ralph Wilson Stadium before moving forward. that study is not yet complete. Poloncarz is picking up the baton and is now ensuring his ducks are in a row once talks begin.

jw

any idea on when that study will be completed?

jw

Thanks guys. Sounds reassuring to know at least some people in Erie County are being "proactive" rather than reactive. Hopefully, Buffalo gets some much needed assistance from the State as I am sick of my tax dollars going to "New Yawk City" all the time. I also think if we have a reasonable proposal in line and ready to go that can be negotiated and signed with the Bills while Ralph is still the owner, we protect ourselves somewhat from a "Midnight Moving Van" experience as in Baltimore 25 yrs ago.

Thanks guys. Sounds reassuring to know at least some people in Erie County are being "proactive" rather than reactive. Hopefully, Buffalo gets some much needed assistance from the State as I am sick of my tax dollars going to "New Yawk City" all the time. I also think if we have a reasonable proposal in line and ready to go that can be negotiated and signed with the Bills while Ralph is still the owner, we protect ourselves somewhat from a "Midnight Moving Van" experience as in Baltimore 25 yrs ago.

i think the most telling aspect of the lease will be the provision of a "buy out" clause, obviously. i actually wish there was not going to be one, just iron clad, locked in lease. it is probably unrealistic to think that, but lets hope its not "peanuts" in comparison to what a group like the one in L A could easily afford.

jw

John, any idea if a roof over RWS is part of the study?

PTR

i think the most telling aspect of the lease will be the provision of a "buy out" clause, obviously. i actually wish there was not going to be one, just iron clad, locked in lease. it is probably unrealistic to think that, but lets hope its not "peanuts" in comparison to what a group like the one in L A could easily afford.

Hypothetical here: If the Bills ever moved, would you find it more palatable if they moved to Toronto (2 hrs away) rather than LA?? What I'm getting at is, if they moved to Toronto, they would still be a "regional team" and I'm sure there would be some accomodation at the Peace Bridge, etc to make things easier for Bills fans going to games, crossing the border, etc...on the other hand, if they moved to LA, we're basically screwed. That being said, if they draft the "buy out" clause in a way that requires a flat payment no matter where the Bills move to, if we moved to Toronto, the pay back to the County would be huge and still have the team regionally (so to speak)...if they set the "buy out" clause on a sliding scale (pay a smaller penalty if they move to Toronto and a larger penalty if they move to LA), then the Bills are tipping their hand that Toronto is still a definite option.

Hypothetical here: If the Bills ever moved, would you find it more palatable if they moved to Toronto (2 hrs away) rather than LA?? What I'm getting at is, if they moved to Toronto, they would still be a "regional team" and I'm sure there would be some accomodation at the Peace Bridge, etc to make things easier for Bills fans going to games, crossing the border, etc...on the other hand, if they moved to LA, we're basically screwed. That being said, if they draft the "buy out" clause in a way that requires a flat payment no matter where the Bills move to, if we moved to Toronto, the pay back to the County would be huge and still have the team regionally (so to speak)...if they set the "buy out" clause on a sliding scale (pay a smaller penalty if they move to Toronto and a larger penalty if they move to LA), then the Bills are tipping their hand that Toronto is still a definite option.

Can't speak for anyone else but if the Bills ever moved, to Toronto or elsewhere, they would be dead to me in an instant. Just like the Braves.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't speak for anyone else but if the Bills ever moved, to Toronto or elsewhere, they would be dead to me in an instant. Just like the Braves.

GO BILLS!!!

I'd probably still follow them...but I wouldn't be as rabid as I am now....if they went to LA, I'd probabaly start watching the....*gasp*...Steelers more.

I'd probably still follow them...but I wouldn't be as rabid as I am now....if they went to LA, I'd probabaly start watching the....*gasp*...Steelers more.

I'd be pretty pissed, too. Like a jilted prom date. Hell, I might even take perverse pleasure in rooting against them every week.

Except when they played the Dolphins. I could NEVER root for he 'Phins.

GO BILLS!!!

i am hoping cuomo will be sympathetic to western new york and the bills. as we all know, taxpayer money to billionaires does not play well at the present time. rational thinking probably supports that premise, but as i and others are aware of, NY state gave millions in assistance to build yankee stadium and citi field. we are do our fair share, no matter what one's feeling is on taxpayer money to NFL owners. the politicos in ny state must come thru.if you want to look at it from strictly dollars and sense, the bills are a positive force.

You are correct that the local jurisdiction and state gave substantial support for infrastructure and other surrounding upgrades to get the Yankee stadium project built. However, the Steinbrenner clan and his Yankee corporation paid for the stadium. I doubt if Ralph is willing to contribute much, if any, for the required upgrading of the current stadium.

My preference is once it is determined how much the upgrades will cost for the antiquated Ralph there should be a cost sharing ratio established between the Bills and the county. A three to one or four to one sharing of costs would seem fair. For every three or four $$$ the county contributes the Bills should add a $$$ to the mix. If the Bills' organization are not agreeable to that cost sharing concept then the county should not use taxpayer money for the stadium.

To put things in perspective if the owner would have put his Toronto bonanza deal in escrow he would have had enough money on hand to get a very ambitious upgrade project done with little effort.

You are correct that the local jurisdiction and state gave substantial support for infrastructure and other surrounding upgrades to get the Yankee stadium project built. However, the Steinbrenner clan and his Yankee corporation paid for the stadium. I doubt if Ralph is willing to contribute much, if any, for the required upgrading of the current stadium.

My preference is once it is determined how much the upgrades will cost for the antiquated Ralph there should be a cost sharing ratio established between the Bills and the county. A three to one or four to one sharing of costs would seem fair. For every three or four $$$ the county contributes the Bills should add a $$$ to the mix. If the Bills' organization are not agreeable to that cost sharing concept then the county should not use taxpayer money for the stadium.

To put things in perspective if the owner would have put his Toronto bonanza deal in escrow he would have had enough money on hand to get a very ambitious upgrade project done with little effort.

i know that the yankees contributed, not sure about the mets, but what the state contributed to both is considerable in comparison to what would be needed for upgrades to the ralph . the bills are the only NFL team that contributes directly to the ny state tax base and it is up to the local reps to secure what could be deemed a "fair share". taxpayer dollars are wasted daily and will continued to be, i want the part of tax payer dollars spent for upgrades to the ralph. if nothing else, it is a "quality of life "issue.

yeah, everyone gets so worked up over taxpayer dollars, but the amount of money/jobs that comes into western new york with a new stadium deal simply makes in a wise investment for the people. Hopefully Cuomo can ignore all naysayers and make it happen.

i know that the yankees contributed, not sure about the mets, but what the state contributed to both is considerable in comparison to what would be needed for upgrades to the ralph . the bills are the only NFL team that contributes directly to the ny state tax base and it is up to the local reps to secure what could be deemed a "fair share". taxpayer dollars are wasted daily and will continued to be, i want the part of tax payer dollars spent for upgrades to the ralph. if nothing else, it is a "quality of life "issue.

Laying off teachers, firefighters, policemen, closing libraries and delaying much needed infrastructure upgrades due to a lack of public money also involve quality of life issues. How do you justify making a sizeable investment into a stadium that is not freguently used and that mostly benefits a very rich owner who has the wherewithal to contribute to his already lucrative business.

I'm not suggesting that the state and county should not invest a sizeable amount of money to upgrade a very archaic facility. My point is simply that the owner and his organization should also to a degree contribute to the improvement of the facilities. Having the owner pay a quarter or a third of the costs to enhance the facility that he controls is not unreasonable.

The owner has made more than a quarter of a billion dollars off a very bad product over the last eight years. Having him make a stipulated contribution to improve the stadium would not only benefit him but it would also be the right thing to do.