Do We Really Have That Many Holes

Who among us Bills Fans can be in any way objective about the team? The less enthralled with the organization I am, the more I tend to think I can judge their talent "objectively" - but, that is more a response to all the years, not so long ago, where I would tell people "just wait, Buffalo isn't as bad as people think, they're overlooked...". Any Bills fan knows the look I'd get from just about everyone - and, painfully, they were right. So now, I often say, "this team just doesn't have it..." and the variations of that line of thought.

But, I had a thought just before reading this post that I considered starting a thread about, but I decided it wasn't really worthy of a thread; namely, I think Buffalo, when it's backs are totally healthy, has the best running back tandem in the NFL. That's something to build on.

I also think we have one of the top 3 DT tandems in the NFL. Another something...

We have an O-line that can work as is, and is one excellent Tackle away from being one of the leagues best. I believe, if we keep Stevie Johnson, and if Easley comes back and can stay healthy, that we're one WR away from a good unit there. Our TE group isn't much. Our linebackers? We have two good ones - where on a 3-4 team we should have 5 or 6. I think our secondary is a shutdown corner away from being one of the best, too, in the league - but, as it is, I think with good pressure it would be top half of the league; certainly not a weakness.

We have guys who might actually be good if we were to let them loose - guys who I believe could be very good, highly recognized, in the right organization: Carrington, Moats, Spiller, (McKelvin could be, too).

All that said - I think we are weakest at QB, OLB, and DE - especially if we're running a 4-3. Still, I believe with the right front office we could have a playoff team here next year, if they truly put everything into it. Or, if the organization was slick - the kind that people covet, envy - this rebuild could have another bad year next year, have two more years of early draft picks (including this year) but walk away with a franchise QB/DE/OLB - the cornerstones to great teams - by building with these picks talent at the most important areas on a team. What will Buffalo do, though? This rebuild is a year or two, at the most, from being "built" and are we going to end up with a QB? A defense that can pressure a QB?

We'll have to see.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The games always have and always will be won in the trenches - both sides of the ball. This would include a high quality TE and great LB's to go along with great line play. This is where the focus needs to be. The really good teams understand this. The Bills continually miss this........ Getting better with Wood, Levitre, and Darius in the past few drafts. Focus here Mr. Nix, PLEASE!

It seems that everybody is assuming that the Bills will go back to a 4-3, but I'm not so sure.

I think the defense is a bigger issue than offense. I think Chan has done a good job of finding offensive players, especially along the offensive line. The depth is definitely better.

The biggest need on defense is at least one pass rusher. I think the Bills could also use a run stuffing NT. Troup has not developed and has been injured. I would like to see the Bills draft Courtney Upshaw in the first round and pickup Josh Chapman in round two or round three. The Bills could use another physical corner.

On offense, the Bills need another wide receiver. QB, TE, LT would be nice to have.

A Left Tackle would upgrade our offensive line to premier.

If the Bills are going to play 3-4, they will have to find a NT.

If the Bills are going to play 4-3, they will have to find DE. I think this will only happen if Coples falls to them. There are a lot more pass rushing OLB than DE.

I'm hoping they go defense heavy again; although, a first round LT would be nice since the team started falling apart when the OL started falling apart because of injuries.

It seems that everybody is assuming that the Bills will go back to a 4-3, but I'm not so sure.

I think the defense is a bigger issue than offense. I think Chan has done a good job of finding offensive players, especially along the offensive line. The depth is definitely better.

The biggest need on defense is at least one pass rusher. I think the Bills could also use a run stuffing NT. Troup has not developed and has been injured. I would like to see the Bills draft Courtney Upshaw in the first round and pickup Josh Chapman in round two or round three. The Bills could use another physical corner.

On offense, the Bills need another wide receiver. QB, TE, LT would be nice to have.

A Left Tackle would upgrade our offensive line to premier.

If the Bills are going to play 3-4, they will have to find a NT.

If the Bills are going to play 4-3, they will have to find DE. I think this will only happen if Coples falls to them. There are a lot more pass rushing OLB than DE.

I'm hoping they go defense heavy again; although, a first round LT would be nice since the team started falling apart when the OL started falling apart because of injuries.

I agree with the first part of your post...No one has said for certain that the Bills will go back to a 4-3 exclusively. It seems likely given Wanny's experience and the basic failure of our 3-4 to this point, but isn't certain. In general I like the 3-4 schemes, and they seem to always be more successful in the NFL. I also think the Bills do have some good 3-4 pieces (Barnett, Dareus, KW, Merriman), so I'm holding out hope they stick with it. I'd be surprised if we see anything other than a 4-3 next year though.

What confuses me is why in the world you think the Bills need to find a NT in order to play the 3-4? The Bills have Kyle Williams, a NT, our only pro-bowler in the last 2 seasons. They also have one heck of a stud NT/DE/DT in Dareus. I would say that is one of the strongest positions on the team and is the least of our concerns...

If they go to a 4-3 on a regular basis, there is no doubt the Bills will need DE help, as well as figuring out the whole LB thing...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Really?

the only position on defense thaat they dont need is DT

the only position on offense they dont need is RB

OT is a gaping hole that most fans just dont want to admit or are delusional enough to think is a strength

WR is a huge need and an even bigger need if they dont resign Stevie

they could use a new head coach as well but that wont happen until next offseason unfortunately

THIS!!! ....with one caveat.

I think we have enough CBs to do the job. An actual pass rush will make them look SOOO much better. That being said a LB and or a big safety that can cover TE's (eh em..New England) is imperative! Unless we plan on making our goal a wild card spot every year only to eventually lose to the Pats we need to beat the guys that have owned the division the last 10 years.

Unlike most teams New England beats you up around and in between the hashes making your high paid cover corners useless because they don't throw out there very often and kill you with Welker and their TE combo.

Clearly we need depth, but I don't see many positions of glaring weakness. OLB is a hole and maybe DE if we go 4-3, but what else? On offense another top WR would be nice and possibly an upgrade at QB, but I don't see either as a gaping hole. What are all these holes I keep hearing about?

You can't just gloss over that point. That hole in itself makes the rest of your team look like swiss cheese

Rob, on 03 January 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

Clearly we need depth, but I don't see many positions of glaring weakness. OLB is a hole and maybe DE if we go 4-3, but what else? On offense another top WR would be nice and possibly an upgrade at QB, but I don't see either as a gaping hole. What are all these holes I keep hearing about?

You can't just gloss over that point. That hole in itself makes the rest of your team look like swiss cheese

You mean like people gloss over the points that our WRs dropped like flies? Our #2 WR for most of the year was a wild cat QB and we started 3 different LTs and 4 different centers not to mention losing Freddie who was looking like the best RB in the league?

I'm sure those factors had NOTHING to do with our QBs and the teams performance :wallbash: Drew Brees would have looked like crap with what we had and possibly ended up on IR.

Edited by PDaDdy

Really?

the only position on defense that they don't need is DT

the only position on offense they don't need is RB

OT is a gaping hole that most fans just don't want to admit or are delusional enough to think is a strength

WR is a huge need and an even bigger need if they don't resign Stevie

they could use a new head coach as well but that wont happen until next off-season unfortunately

:worthy:

Believe it or not, the Bills really could use another RB or 2 if White doesn't evolve soon. I would have thought he would get carries over Choice, but didn't

Look at the NO Saints and their RB crew, they have 4 very good RB's in Chris Ivory, Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles. the reason being is because they know after last season that even with Drew Brees at QB they aren't going very far in the playoffs without a balanced attack. Remember they were on the phone to Buddy Nix trying to get Marshawn Lynch for a playoff run, Nix never responded to their calls. It was stated by Jay Glazer that the Saints would have given up a #3 for Lynch

Sproles, is their 3rd down back-WR, who is brilliant at his job

Ingram, the starter is their every down back who saw most of the carries when he was healthy, on IR now

Pierre Thomas, was the backup who is the red zone back but gets a bunch of carries during normal games

Chris Ivory, is the 4th sting RB who just put up 127 yards, 19 rushes on Carolina last weekend

Ivory, Sproles, Thomas all saw action in the last game. Just like with their WR's Sean Payton goes with the hot hand.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Rob, on 03 January 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

You mean like people gloss over the points that our WRs dropped like flies? Our #2 WR for most of the year was a wild cat QB and we started 3 different LTs and 4 different centers not to mention losing Freddie who was looking like the best RB in the league?

I'm sure those factors had NOTHING to do with our QBs and the teams performance :wallbash: Drew Brees would have looked like crap with what we had and possibly ended up on IR.

We really need a few players that make a difference (impact players). I am talking Pro-Bowl players that make big plays when needed. Winning teams have them, we do not.

Dareus could be one. Jackson/Spiller as well. Sometimes Bryd.

My take on our needs by priority

1. OLB - we need two of them and one of them needs to be an impact player that can get to the QB. We need two OLBs no mattter whether we play 3-4 or 4-3. BTW - I think we will play both. We need to use the draft and free agency. Our current OLBs are atrocious.

2. WR - we need speed at Wr. We need a true #1 with speed and reliable hands. Johnson is a very good #2 WR.

3. DE - Once again, someone that can get to the QB.

4. LT - Bell is ok when healthy, but he appears to be a player that cannot stay healthy. Expecting Hairston to carry the load is a dangerous proposition.

5. QB - I would change this to #1 if there is a QB like RG3 or Luck available. Fitz is a stop gap. We can address other positions rather than reach for a QB but we should not pass up one either.

6. TE - would love to see a new-era TE in a Bills uniform. I am talking about a large and fast super athelete, the new breed TE. Chandler is good but having a TE attack like the Pats* would be a great thing come November/ December in the Ralph.

Couldn't agree more with your assessment!

you describing either one of them as awesome says a lot

Pears is a backup on any other team but the Bills

defending the line bc they didnt give up sacks isnt a good argument when the majority of their pass attempts are 2 step drop and quick passes

the line isnt as good as some people think and needs a legit LT, if you dont see it then you dont see it

Well your statement about Pears pretty much eliminates the need to read anything else that you have posted. If you look around the league there are few RT's or LT's that play with the solid conistency that Pears showed this year.

But, the problem with the Bills' did not reside in the OL and if Wood had not been injured there's a chance we might have added another win or two. And over at LT ... Hairston showed great signs of being a better than average LT as a rookie, which is a very difficult achievement because OL take a few years to really develop. If Bell stayed healthy he also has proven that he is not the mediocre LT that too many on this board have claimed.

This season the Bills' OL did all that was asked of them. They opened huge holes for both Freddie and CJ. They stopped sacks from happening and controlled league leaders on opposing DL's. There were some truly incredible highlight film plays by almost every member of the line this year especially Levitre and Wood.

The Bills problem resided in a defensive coaching scheme that could not make adjustments and could not game-plan. When your defensive coordinator can't come up with anything effective it begins to show after 20 games or so ... Edwards had to go and he is gone. That alone makes the Bills a better team.

Now, we need to fill the gaps and fortunately we are at a point where the number of real problems with the team are a few positions plus depth, which was our ultimate issue this season.

i actually don't think we have that many holes either. it's really pretty simple in my opinion. depending on the defensive scheme, we definitely need either a DE or an OLB...we need another threat at WR...we need another CB.

Above all, what this team NEEDS is overall depth. I actually think our starters (more so on offense), if healthy, are pretty good and our record early in the season reinforces that belief. What this team does not have is overall depth. So we need to add a few key pieces at the positions listed above while increasing the overall depth at positions on the OL, LB, and/or DL.