Would The Risk Be Worth The Reward ??

T master

Fitz first season as our starting QB is officially over , he's shown some good things but has also done some not so good things .

Just the other day & for the past 4 yrs there has been a QB that has been paying attention & has learned a lot from another QB which is really good !! The QB i am talking about is Matt Flynn of the Green Bay Packers .

I was wondering . Given what we all know about Fitz and what he can and can't do for the team & how the players feel about him . Then seeing what Flynn has done in the GB offense & with a lot less of a resume to look at , if it was your decision to make , would you ?

A) Continue on the path we've started with Fitz in hopes of better things to come from him learning from his experience & draft a QB this year in hopes of developing him to take Fitz place in a couple of years ? -- OR

B) Would you take the chance on an unknown - unproven QB in Flynn by offering him a contract in hopes to lure him away from GB with the chance of losing not only Fitz but the rest of the teams confidence in the Bills FO ? And if you do do you void Fitz contract ??

Earlier this year we tried to get a QB off of the Packers practice squad by offering him a contract which he turned down to stay with them , could this have been because they felt with Flynn coming to the end of his contract might look to see what he could get else where ??

I like what Fitz has brought to our team & i would hate to screw up something that MIGHT turn into some thing really good but Flynn has been really good any time he has stepped on the field but the Bills FO at one point thought Rob :censored: Johnson was worth the money & that sure as hell wasn't worth the time , thought , or money :oops: but we may be able to learn some thing from it !! I'm just not sure if the risk is worth the reward ??

Of coarse there is the thing that you don't know unless you try but at what cost ??? What say you Bills fans ??

Edited by T master

Fitz first season as our starting QB is officially over , he's shown some good things but has also done some not so good things .

Just the other day & for the past 4 yrs there has been a QB that has been paying attention & has learned a lot from another QB which is really good !! The QB i am talking about is Matt Flynn of the Green Bay Packers .

I was wondering . Given what we all know about Fitz and what he can and can't do for the team & how the players feel about him . Then seeing what Flynn has done in the GB offense & with a lot less of a resume to look at , if it was your decision to make , would you ?

A) Continue on the path we've started with Fitz in hopes of better things to come from him learning from his experience & draft a QB this year in hopes of developing him to take Fitz place in a couple of years ? -- OR

B) Would you take the chance on an unknown - unproven QB in Flynn by offering him a contract in hopes to lure him away from GB with the chance of losing not only Fitz but the rest of the teams confidence in the Bills FO ? And if you do do you void Fitz contract ??

Earlier this year we tried to get a QB off of the Packers practice squad by offering him a contract which he turned down to stay with them , could this have been because they felt with Flynn coming to the end of his contract might look to see what he could get else where ??

I like what Fitz has brought to our team & i would hate to screw up something that MIGHT turn into some thing really good but Flynn has been really good any time he has stepped on the field but the Bills FO at one point thought Rob :censored: Johnson was worth the money & that sure as hell wasn't worth the time , thought , or money :oops: but we may be able to learn some thing from it !! I'm just not sure if the risk is worth the reward ??

Of coarse there is the thing that you don't know unless you try but at what cost ??? What say you Bills fans ??

This sure does remind me of a Rob Johnson-Kevin Kolb situation.

This sure does remind me of a Rob Johnson-Kevin Kolb situation.

Apples to apples, there are a few glaring differences in comparing Rob Johnson to Matt Flynn, imo.

1. Johnson played college ball in California, and came from the Jaguars (warm weather). Though Flynn went to LSU, he is used cold weather in Green Bay.
  2. Johnson backed up Steve Beuerlein and Mark Brunell, while Flynn has studied under (arguably) one of the top two QBs in the league today. An Elite QB.
  3. Statistically, Johnson's debut doesn't hold a candle to what we saw yesterday from Flynn against a very good (albeit dirty) Lions defense. We're talking franchise records for passing yards and touchdowns -- for one of the most storied franchises in NFL history. That's amazing regardless of the circumstances of any game.
  4. Flynn will become a free agent this year unless the Packers pay a boatload of money to franchise him -- and trade him. I read somewhere that it'll cost them a small fortune either way. As part owner of the Packers, I don't want to spend that kind of money. ;)

Flynn has been well coached, and if our OL comes back healthy, and we surround him with a true weapon (preferably one who don't flash a "Happy New Year" T-shirt) -- I would love to have him.

Oh, then there's Ralph and the money issue. Never mind...

He'll likely be a Redskin or a Seahawk.

I seem to remember not being particularly impressed with Flynn when he was with LSU.  Is there any reason to think that he would be any good away from the Packers' offensive system?

Yes! He's not currently on the Bills roster, ergo he must be better than anyone on the Bills roster.

Flynn would be worth it if he came relatively cheaply, sadly someones going to over pay for him, and then ruin his career, when he doesn't live up to his contract. Hello Oakland...............lolol

Daniel Snyder begs to differ with your Oakland prediction.

No one knows if the reward will be worth the risk. Just like no one knew with Brees when he was available.

I guess I'm not clear on the analogy?

At the point where NO signed Brees, he had led SD to two winning seasons and was a 2x Probowl selection.

SD had offered him a contract despite having Rivers on the roster, indicating some confidence in his likely recovery from surgery.

Flynn has thrown less than 100 passes in the NFL in 4 years. He may be God's gift to QB but there's a lot less data on him than there was on Brees.

It wouldn't upset me if we tried to sign him, but I think he will go for far bigger $$$$$$ than Ralph would be willing to pay. I would say Seattle, Washington, or Minnesota - teams that historically seem to prefer to buy their QB than draft them and are willing to pay silly money for players they want.

At the point where NO signed Brees, he had led SD to two winning seasons and was a 2x Probowl selection.

SD had offered him a contract despite having Rivers on the roster, indicating some confidence in his likely recovery from surgery.

Flynn has thrown less than 100 passes in the NFL in 4 years. He may be God's gift to QB but there's a lot less data on him than there was on Brees.

It wouldn't upset me if we tried to sign him, but I think he will go for far bigger $$$$$$ than Ralph would be willing to pay. I would say Seattle, Washington, or Minnesota - teams that historically seem to prefer to buy their QB than draft them and are willing to pay silly money for players they want.

Minnesota won't do it cause Ponder showed some promise this year. I could see Rex Ryan lobbying for him to be signed. I think he is sick of Dirty Sanchez.

I took the analogy to mean that a good QB could become a GREAT QB on another team someday. (Favre comes to mind). But you'd have to ask the poster, I just speculated.

Your point is very valid, if that's what was meant.

I took the analogy to mean that a good QB could become a GREAT QB on another team someday. (Favre comes to mind). But you'd have to ask the poster, I just speculated.

Your point is very valid, if that's what was meant.

Schaub probably would have been a better comparison. Limited body of work before he landed in Houston, and is now a top 10 QB.

I was talking about risk. Brees proved to be a great QB, but got injured, and that injury scared away all but one team: the Saints. They took the risk and were rewarded in spades. However Brees' career could have been over and they would have been left holding the bag.

Schaub probably would have been a better comparison. Limited body of work before he landed in Houston, and is now a top 10 QB.

That is a better comparison. I'm guessing you live in Wisconsin -- If so, what's the general feeling among fans/media there about Flynn? What's the buzz after yesterday?