A Few Thoughts About the Season

1. 6-10 again. Ugh.

2. I have to admit there were more thrills than your typical 6-10 season. As a young fan who started watching in 1999, a 5-2 start that included a dramatic comeback W over the hated rival has inherent value. 38-35 is easily my best memory as a Bills fan and I won't forget it because of what occurred later in the season.

3. I don't believe Chan Gailey is the answer, but I also don't believe the perpetual 3-year coaching carousel is beneficial. Would the new hire honestly be any better, given Ralph's track record? My vote is for continuity since I don't believe that the front office has the capacity to change in a positive direction.

4. CJ Spiller is a player. Sorry, but I'm taking this opportunity to say "told ya so". :D

5. But so is Fred Jackson. Will the Bills have a rare moment of competence and realize that both players can be used in equitable measure?

6. I believe Marcel Dareus has a bright future. He didn't change his team's fortunes like Newton, Miller and Green but I'll be surprised if he's not one of our 3 best players by next season. 5.5 sacks for a rookie DT is impressive. After Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman were gone in the blink of an eye, the onus was on Dareus to carry the DL on his shoulders and he wasn't capable of it. Too much to expect from a rookie. Let's see what he can do with a supporting cast.

7. It hurts my brain to think the Brad Smith makes $4 million per year instead of the veteran minimum.

8. Nick Barnett was a good signing. As was the case with Dareus, the other LBs were awful and one man can only do so much. He made a variety of big plays this year.

9. Fitzpatrick - I like the guy and I certainly can't blame him for signing a starter's contract after several years of making relative pennies. But he's a backup/borderline starter level QB and always will be. Shame on the Bills FO for signing a player at the absolute peak of his value.

10. Sign Stevie Johnson. It sucks that he can't learn from his mistakes, but I shudder at next season's offense without him. Despite everything, I respect the effort he put in all season with multiple injuries. Some guys just can't get out of their own way, though.

11. Props to Andy Levitre. He was on pace for a Pro bowl type season until every other OL started tearing ACLs and separating shoulders etc. He had to play a variety of positions and only failed at Center.

12. Eric Wood is probably the Bills' best player, relative to other NFL starters at his position. But 2 devastating leg injuries now? Let's hope that Wood has another long rehab in him mentally and physically.

13. Speaking of injuries, it was just ridiculous this season. Every game it seemed like at least 2 guys went down with serious maladies. It's no excuse for poor play because GB won a Superbowl in similar conditions. But what's the deal? Poor conditioning? Just snake bit?

14. It seems like Chris Kelsay is one of the best people in the NFL. You can tell by the way his teammates celebrate his rare successes, and the media always seems to reach him for comment. He's the type of guy I'd like to have a beer with. He should be cut.

15. Other players that need to get gone, or at least stuck to the bench: Andra Davis, Leodis McKelvin, Roscoe Parrish, Reggie Corner, Alex Carrington, Torell Troupe, Donald Jones, Tyler Thigpen

16. Players that were surprisingly good: Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, Scott Chandler, Aaron Williams, Jairus Byrd (who I wrote off as a one year wonder).

17. It sucks that Corey McIntyre never got utilized as a short yardage back.

18. Let's go Buffalo. As always.

1. 6-10 again. Ugh.

2. I have to admit there were more thrills than your typical 6-10 season. As a young fan who started watching in 1999, a 5-2 start that included a dramatic comeback W over the hated rival has inherent value. 38-35 is easily my best memory as a Bills fan and I won't forget it because of what occurred later in the season.

3. I don't believe Chan Gailey is the answer, but I also don't believe the perpetual 3-year coaching carousel is beneficial. Would the new hire honestly be any better, given Ralph's track record? My vote is for continuity since I don't believe that the front office has the capacity to change in a positive direction.

4. CJ Spiller is a player. Sorry, but I'm taking this opportunity to say "told ya so". :D

5. But so is Fred Jackson. Will the Bills have a rare moment of competence and realize that both players can be used in equitable measure?

6. I believe Marcel Dareus has a bright future. He didn't change his team's fortunes like Newton, Miller and Green but I'll be surprised if he's not one of our 3 best players by next season. 5.5 sacks for a rookie DT is impressive. After Kyle Williams and Shawne Merriman were gone in the blink of an eye, the onus was on Dareus to carry the DL on his shoulders and he wasn't capable of it. Too much to expect from a rookie. Let's see what he can do with a supporting cast.

7. It hurts my brain to think the Brad Smith makes $4 million per year instead of the veteran minimum.

8. Nick Barnett was a good signing. As was the case with Dareus, the other LBs were awful and one man can only do so much. He made a variety of big plays this year.

9. Fitzpatrick - I like the guy and I certainly can't blame him for signing a starter's contract after several years of making relative pennies. But he's a backup/borderline starter level QB and always will be. Shame on the Bills FO for signing a player at the absolute peak of his value.

10. Sign Stevie Johnson. It sucks that he can't learn from his mistakes, but I shudder at next season's offense without him. Despite everything, I respect the effort he put in all season with multiple injuries. Some guys just can't get out of their own way, though.

11. Props to Andy Levitre. He was on pace for a Pro bowl type season until every other OL started tearing ACLs and separating shoulders etc. He had to play a variety of positions and only failed at Center.

12. Eric Wood is probably the Bills' best player, relative to other NFL starters at his position. But 2 devastating leg injuries now? Let's hope that Wood has another long rehab in him mentally and physically.

13. Speaking of injuries, it was just ridiculous this season. Every game it seemed like at least 2 guys went down with serious maladies. It's no excuse for poor play because GB won a Superbowl in similar conditions. But what's the deal? Poor conditioning? Just snake bit?

14. It seems like Chris Kelsay is one of the best people in the NFL. You can tell by the way his teammates celebrate his rare successes, and the media always seems to reach him for comment. He's the type of guy I'd like to have a beer with. He should be cut.

15. Other players that need to get gone, or at least stuck to the bench: Andra Davis, Leodis McKelvin, Roscoe Parrish, Reggie Corner, Alex Carrington, Torell Troupe, Donald Jones, Tyler Thigpen

16. Players that were surprisingly good: Erik Pears, Kraig Urbik, Scott Chandler, Aaron Williams, Jairus Byrd (who I wrote off as a one year wonder).

17. It sucks that Corey McIntyre never got utilized as a short yardage back.

18. Let's go Buffalo. As always.

There were a lot of key injuries this season which was very tough to overcome. When Kyle Williams went down, it hurt our defense right away. Then the dominos started to fall with the injuries of Eric Wood, Fred Jackson, etc. Football is a very tough sport to play but in terms of injuries, I was wondering where we ranked in terms of injuries compared to other teams this season. Our depth was an area of concern. Biggest thing I would like to see is a decent pass rush next season. I guess we could try to draft a pass rusher in the 1st two rounds. Also, there seems to be a lot of good quarterbacks coming out for the draft this season and although we don't need to draft one early, I don't think it would be a bad idea to try and find one in the middle rounds.

1. Everyone who played one snap for our offensive line this year was absolutely amazing. Guys playing out of position, backups stepping up- never even missed a beat. Re-sign them all, when healthy they are a top 5 offensive line in the NFL. Period, end of story.

2. I think one thing about this offseason is that everyone is on the same page about what we need. A freaking pass rush and a legitimate starting NFL wide receiver. How can anyone even begin to analyze Fitzpatrick in a game like yesterday when his starting WR's (after the incident) were Derrick Hagan (who actually is pretty good) and Ruvell Martin? They need difference makers at WR. Not guys who can catch passes when they're open, but guys that can take the ball away from CB's. Big, strong guys who are 6'3", 220 lbs. Actually we really only need one guy like that. Is it Easley? I don't know.

3. Am I the only one who notices that the Bills already run a 4-3? Next year's starters will be Kyle Williams, Dareus, Barnett, Shepard and 3 other guys on the front 7. Who those guys are, I have no idea. Merriman? Probably Kelsay or Edwards. Is Carrington an NFL starter? He hasn't shown me anything. But one thing is for sure, they need a brand new guy in there that is not currently on the roster and he has to be a difference maker.

4. Aaron Williams will start next season at CB, obviously. On paper, I really like their secondary. Wilson and Byrd are better than average and Bryan Scott is as good as it gets as far as depth at the safety position. They just have to find a way to generate a consistent pass rush and stay healthy. If that can happen, this team is not that far away.

Sage, as a relatively young Bills fan, you have great perspective.

I agree almost totally with all of your takes.

7) I was supportive of the Brad Smith, Tyler Thigpen moves. I'd not seen either play very much beforehand but based on reportage and their bodies of work, I thought they were good signings.

Having seen them play, I believe they were bad signings.

14) I think part of this point was for humorous effect:

"It seems like Chris Kelsay is one of the best people in the NFL. You can tell by the way his teammates celebrate his rare successes, and the media always seems to reach him for comment. He's the type of guy I'd like to have a beer with. He should be cut."

That said, I disagree with you and feel that Kelsay should be retained and also in generally addressing point 15, I'm not as "slash and burn" as you are.

Yes the Bills have to upgrade their talent and depth but I see usefulness in keeping several of the players you named to be whacked.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I'll never understand the obsession with cutting solid players that are currently starting for us, vs cutting the guys behind them and signing someone better. I wonder if Ralph takes his advice from posts like these.

Starters get cut all the time, especially when their play doesn't validate their contract. I think Kelsay is the perfect example of this type of player. Among the other players I listed, all are depth.

Good post. However, you left out a comment about the defensive coordinator. I'd be surprised if you feel he should be back but would be interested in your take in any case.

Yeah, I'm not on the sideline or in the locker room, but it's hard to believe that George Edwards did anything this season that merits sticking around. He seems like a "Peter Principle" type. Promoted to a level where he could no longer be competent.

14) I think part of this point was for humorous effect:

"It seems like Chris Kelsay is one of the best people in the NFL. You can tell by the way his teammates celebrate his rare successes, and the media always seems to reach him for comment. He's the type of guy I'd like to have a beer with. He should be cut."

That said, I disagree with you and feel that Kelsay should be retained and also in generally addressing point 15, I'm not as "slash and burn" as you are.

Yes the Bills have to upgrade their talent and depth but I see usefulness in keeping several of the players you named to be whacked.

Kelsay is a strangely polarizing figure. If he was a backup on a successful team who chipped in a few sacks every year, he'd be a fan favorite. As a starter on a bad team who makes way too much money, he's reviled by many fans. I don't revile Kelsay. I'm just amazed that a depth-level player has survived for nearly a decade on an NFL roster as a starter.

As I stated above, it's a contract thing. However, if Kelsay is so beloved in the locker room that his departure would severely lower morale once again, sure, keep him around.

Great post and I agree with 90% of it. I don't think you give up on players after 2 years. Troup and Carrington should be brought back. By your measure you would have cut Eric Moulds and Bruce. Kelsey and Davis are depth players so why cut them? At least bring them to camp. I wouldn't give up on McKelvin. Some coach will get something out if him so let's get a DC who will figure it out. Brad Smith was an expensive mistake.

I'll add a couple more points to the original post too...

19. Will Lindells detractors now admit the value in having a kicker who consistently knocks it in from 45 yards and fewer?

20. The turning point of the season was Game #1 against the Jets. Just like the fans, I think the Bills roster severely raised their expectations and the suffered a BIG morale hit when they were physically dominated. They then proceeded to play the Cowboys and Dolphins games like a bunch of unmotivated schlubs.

Unlike the fans, professional football players get paid to have short memories and move on to the next game. Those efforts were inexcusable and they essentially ended the season IMO. By the time the Bills started playing with heart once again, it was too late and they were too injured. On top of that, the bounces stopped going their way. Luck is a bigger factor on a game-to-game basis than most think.

20. The turning point of the season was Game #1 against the Jets. Just like the fans, I think the Bills roster severely raised their expectations and the suffered a BIG morale hit when they were physically dominated. They then proceeded to play the Cowboys and Dolphins games like a bunch of unmotivated schlubs.

Unlike the fans, professional football players get paid to have short memories and move on to the next game. Those efforts were inexcusable and they essentially ended the season IMO. By the time the Bills started playing with heart once again, it was too late and they were too injured. On top of that, the bounces stopped going their way. Luck is a bigger factor on a game-to-game basis than most think.

This I put on coaching.

The Bills proceeded to lose 7 games in a row.

Yes there were extenuating circumstances but do good coaches ever lose 7 games in a row?

Even if there were 2 damage control victories sprinkled in there, the team could have kept their playoff hopes alive.

But I agree with those that feel we should give Gailey the final year of the 3-year rebuild…

I hope he improves as a coach but I'm very skeptical. He does seem very stubborn and hard headed.

Starters get cut all the time, especially when their play doesn't validate their contract. I think Kelsay is the perfect example of this type of player. Among the other players I listed, all are depth

The point I think you miss is that it's typically a cap move. If it's those guys OR someone else, sure cut them but at this point we can have those guys AND someone else. That way when injuries happen we are still capable. We can rest guys. We can generally have an NFL roster.

This I put on coaching.

The Bills proceeded to lose 7 games in a row.

Yes there were extenuating circumstances but do good coaches ever lose 7 games in a row?

Even if there were 2 damage control victories sprinkled in there, the team could have kept their playoff hopes alive.

But I agree with those that feel we should give Gailey the final year of the 3-year rebuild…

I hope he improves as a coach but I'm very skeptical. He does seem very stubborn and hard headed.

I agree here, and have mentioned some points that Chan needs to take "to school" in the offseason in the Shoutbox, but:

Regarding yesterday's decision with Stevie, Chan HAS to feel that he had that Jets victory in his fingers, and that Stevie cost them that game in a couple of ways. So, yes, coaching, but Chan cannot score, keep his QB from making reckless throws, stop his WR from celebrating before he does it, or bat down passes.

So, there's that.