Bills sign new kicker

PromoTheRobot

I've looked at all the press releases and injury reports, and I can't find any explanation for putting Rayner on IR. Is it just a technicality since it is the last game and they want to try somebody new? It seems like a lot of hassle for the sake of a different kicker in a meaningless game. I hope at some point there is some additional information out there somewhere to explain this.

Because unless it saves money putting him on IR rather than releasing him, it seems pointless to hold onto a backup kicker who was terrible.

Face-saving move by the Bills. They don't have to admit they screwed up picking Rayner over Shane Graham.

PTR

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/28/2665846/bills-place-dave-rayner-on-ir-sign-brandon-coutu

"Rayner, as you all are aware, was signed earlier this season to replace Rian Lindell, who is himself on IR with a shoulder injury. A sore pelvis has hampered Rayner's accuracy of late; he missed two short field goals in last week's win over Denver before converting on his last four kicks of the day."

"Reports broke earlier this season that the Bills were keen to re-sign Lindell (13-of-15), an impending unrestricted free agent, after this season. Rayner's inconsistencies didn't do anything to change that, and it's doubtful that Coutu will be able to make his mark, either. Expect Lindell to be a priority for the team once the season is complete."

Rayner sucked, so I'm glad he's gone. I have no clue how this new guy will do. I do think it will be a good move to resign Lindell to what looks like will be his final contract with the Bills. The Bills don't need another hole on the team. But, the way things are going, it looks like the Bills won't resign Stevie Johnson (creating another hole) and will need to pick up 2 WR's in the offseason. :doh:

My buddy and I were watching last weeks affair and decided that if Raynor and F$tzmoney switched uniforms you wouldnt be able to tell. #14 at QB would still throw INTs and Dump passes and #3 would still miss 24 yard Field Goals. Besides the kicker would have a beard.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/12/28/2665846/bills-place-dave-rayner-on-ir-sign-brandon-coutu

"Rayner, as you all are aware, was signed earlier this season to replace Rian Lindell, who is himself on IR with a shoulder injury. A sore pelvis has hampered Rayner's accuracy of late; he missed two short field goals in last week's win over Denver before converting on his last four kicks of the day."

"Reports broke earlier this season that the Bills were keen to re-sign Lindell (13-of-15), an impending unrestricted free agent, after this season. Rayner's inconsistencies didn't do anything to change that, and it's doubtful that Coutu will be able to make his mark, either. Expect Lindell to be a priority for the team once the season is complete."

Haha, "sore pelvis"? I think that's code for calling him a pu#$#...

Seriously though, it's a backup kicker. He did make a few impressive long kicks for us, and it's not like we can blame any loses on him. He was also better on kickoffs than Lindell, who doesn't get many TB's. It is what it is.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Haha, "sore pelvis"? I think that's code for calling him a pu#$#...

Seriously though, it's a backup kicker. He did make a few impressive long kicks for us, and it's not like we can blame any loses on him. He was also better on kickoffs than Lindell, who doesn't get many TB's.

I blame the jets game on him with that Charlie Brown kickoff :wallbash:`