Do the Bills resign Byrd

Kaenon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd is set to only make $565,000 in 2012. Free agent in 2013.

Byrd is one of the most dynamic players to be on the Bills defense in a long time. We have been notorious for letting our core players go after their first contracts are over, instead of paying them top dollar. Will Nix change this and convince Ralph to open up his pocket book, or will Byrd walk and we'll try to "gem out" a UDFA from another draft who has a lot of potential to become the next big thing... <_<

I'm also looking to buy a Byrd jersey when the Nike ones are made, but I don't want it to be a one-year jersey either...lol. :wallbash:

They'll resign him eventually (I hope), but there are other priorities right now.

Byrd is one of the most dynamic players to be on the Bills defense in a long time.

Yes. Byrd was our most consistent player this year and deserves top 10 safety money.

As with the rest of you I am a big fan of Byrd as well, but I am also a realist. Byrd looked great as a rookie, and has been good this year as well, but I think the above comments are a bit over the top. I would argue that Wilson was the best guy in our secondary this year when healthy.

I think that Byrd is solid, but it's way too early to be declaring him a top 10 guy...And if he requires top 10 money (he doesn't, yet at least), consider him gone already.

I'm just saying, lets be real. He's a good, solid safety, with high upside, but let's give him another year before we start declaring him the next Ed Reed...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

As with the rest of you I am a big fan of Byrd as well, but I am also a realist. Byrd looked great as a rookie, and has been good this year as well, but I think the above comments are a bit over the top. I would argue that Wilson was the best guy in our secondary this year when healthy.

I think that Byrd is solid, but it's way too early to be declaring him a top 10 guy...And if he requires top 10 money (he doesn't, yet at least), consider him gone already.

I'm just saying, lets be real. He's a good, solid safety, with high upside, but let's give him another year before we start declaring him the next Ed Reed...

See, now I think you are underrating Byrd.

Obviously the interception #s are down, but l think he has grown much more as a player.

Since our run D was so bad, Byrd is prioritized first to prevent run, pass second. Byrd has 95 total tackles so far this year (up from 45 in his rookie year).

He also has 3 interceptions this year (2 from our own end zone preventing scores, and the other taking it back the other way for a score).

Byrd has also been involved in blitz packages, only has 1 sack, but 6 QB pressures and also has 3 forced fumbles.

If you ask me, he is having a hell of a season, similar to Bob Sanders DPoTY in 2007 when he had 96 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 INT and no forced fumbles.

Byrd is the best open-field tackler we have.

Byrd is set to only make $565,000 in 2012. Free agent in 2013.

Byrd is one of the most dynamic players to be on the Bills defense in a long time. We have been notorious for letting our core players go after their first contracts are over, instead of paying them top dollar. Will Nix change this and convince Ralph to open up his pocket book, or will Byrd walk and we'll try to "gem out" a UDFA from another draft who has a lot of potential to become the next big thing... <_<

I'm also looking to buy a Byrd jersey when the Nike ones are made, but I don't want it to be a one-year jersey either...lol. :wallbash:

Yes. They need to make it a priority.

Excellent young talent.

Who cares about Byrd. During the 7-game slide our defense gave up an average of 32 points per game. He's not the worst defensive player on our roster, but if he's so great, why do we get scored on like that? For what it's worth, Drayton should be looking over his shoulder as well. I like Byrd's spirit, but we can pay anybody to tackle opposing players in our end-zone. Sorry but, bye-bye byrdie.

Who cares about Byrd. During the 7-game slide our defense gave up an average of 32 points per game. He's not the worst defensive player on our roster, but if he's so great, why do we get scored on like that? For what it's worth, Drayton should be looking over his shoulder as well. I like Byrd's spirit, but we can pay anybody to tackle opposing players in our end-zone. Sorry but, bye-bye byrdie.

Right. So, Jared Allen isn't great because the Vikings give up a lot of points (second-most in the league); neither are any of the Giants defensive lineman like Pierre-Paul (the Giants give up the fifth-most points in the league). That's not to mention, of course, that Mario Williams should be cut because Houston's defense is doing so well without him.

Right. So, Jared Allen isn't great because the Vikings give up a lot of points (second-most in the league); neither are any of the Giants defensive lineman like Pierre-Paul (the Giants give up the fifth-most points in the league). That's not to mention, of course, that Mario Williams should be cut because Houston's defense is doing so well without him.

LOL, Here's a clue, pal. NONE of the guys you've mentioned here can be considered "great." At least, not yet. Bottom line is that our secondary sucks. If your buddy Byrd is a part of that then perhaps the shoe fits. Like I said, I don't HATE the Byrd. He does some things well. Despite that, given the last seven games, I don't see myself missing him if he goes.

when he got all those picks as a rook i said sure as hell he would come back and get no more than two the next season and true to form he got one. hes a good player but lets be honest, he was living the charmed life as a rook, with wounded beach balls fluttering like butterflies right into his breadbasket. and lets not forget, he was a nightmare tackler, bouncing off guys like he was made of flubber

since then he has DRAMATICALLY improved his tackling to the point he is now a tackle machine. hes still around the ball a lot and in position to make plays. he has great recognition and routinely runs up to stuff plays behind or close to the los

hell yeah we should resign him. he looks like a very solid player if not a star in the making

They'll resign him eventually (I hope), but there are other priorities right now.

A frequent Bills FO excuse and one that has led to the early departure of several players we should have kept over the years, and will led to the soon to be loss of SJ and Bell.

Their job is to negotiate contracts for 54 guys, with maybe 7-10 actively in negotiation (or should be in negotiation) at any one time. What are these mythical 'other priorities' which keep them from doing this work???

If we don't re-sign him it would be another in a long sad list of personnel mistakes.

Byrd will not sign with the Bills. He will play out his contract and leave for a better franchise with better prospects than the Bills, which means just about any other franchise. My guess is he refuses any contract offers from the Bills . With teams having to spend 95% of the salary cap in 2013, anyone who stays with the Bills and does not try to leave is nuts. There will be a lot of money available for the 2013 season.

Byrd will not sign with the Bills. He will play out his contract and leave for a better franchise with better prospects than the Bills, which means just about any other franchise. My guess is he refuses any contract offers from the Bills . With teams having to spend 95% of the salary cap in 2013, anyone who stays with the Bills and does not try to leave is nuts. There will be a lot of money available for the 2013 season.

For the time being the Bills alone can negotiate and sign Byrd. To not sign a reasonable contract and risk injury next season for the chance of better prospects down the road is by no means a safe choice or a foregone conclusion for him. Bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. If the Bills act during this offseason, he would be insane to not take a reasonable offer, and risk getting nothing in the event of a serious injury, which is a very real possibility in football.

But every gme tht goes by next season with Byrd unsigned it becomes more likely he will seek greener pastures, that is true.

Depends on his contract demands. If he's a core player, and I think most agree he is, then re-sign him before he begins his final season. If they let him get close to UFA, the cost goes up and the Bills will say he costs too much.

Buffalo has some big decisions to make with Byrd, Levitre, and Johnson. All of them should have new deals within the next 6-8 months.

Add also Fred jackson, Scott Chandler, Eric Wood, Bell, McKelvin to that list.

A frequent Bills FO excuse and one that has led to the early departure of several players we should have kept over the years, and will led to the soon to be loss of SJ and Bell.

Their job is to negotiate contracts for 54 guys, with maybe 7-10 actively in negotiation (or should be in negotiation) at any one time. What are these mythical 'other priorities' which keep them from doing this work???

Without looking at a list of our FAs, Stvie and Chandler come to mind, since their contracts are about to expire. I also realize that the popular sentiment is to resign Fred Jackson, but he has another year to go as well.

Add also Fred jackson, Scott Chandler, Eric Wood, Bell, McKelvin to that list.

Wood needs an incentive contract with a low signing bonus and low guaranteed money, he is a bit too brittle to be getting big guaranteed money. Let McKelvin walk maybe, he just is not a very good CB. Bell same as Wood, incentive laden, low upfront.

See, now I think you are underrating Byrd.

Obviously the interception #s are down, but l think he has grown much more as a player.

Since our run D was so bad, Byrd is prioritized first to prevent run, pass second. Byrd has 95 total tackles so far this year (up from 45 in his rookie year).

He also has 3 interceptions this year (2 from our own end zone preventing scores, and the other taking it back the other way for a score).

Byrd has also been involved in blitz packages, only has 1 sack, but 6 QB pressures and also has 3 forced fumbles.

If you ask me, he is having a hell of a season, similar to Bob Sanders DPoTY in 2007 when he had 96 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 INT and no forced fumbles.

Byrd is the best open-field tackler we have.

OK, like I said...I like Byrd as a player, and hope the Bills keep him...

I remember people talking about Ko Simpson like this after his good year... I am not saying that Byrd is Ko Simpson, but give it a little more time before considering him a hall of famer. He has been solid this year and was great as a rookie, but he was less than stellar last year.

He is a FS, he is SUPPOSED to make tackles, especially against a poor defense like the Bills. It kills me when people judge players on "stats". My concern is this, he plays fundamentally well, but rarely makes big plays or tackles. He is frequently late on deep routes, as he is not very aggressive. He IS a good tackler, and has a good eye for the ball. Like I said I like him, but to rate him a "top 10" safety at this point is a little ridiculous, fans from other teams haven't even heard of him yet.

George Wilson was dominant before he got hurt. All over the field, making big plays against the run and the pass. A VERY solid tackler, with WR hands. He deserves a big chunk of credit for the early season success. I think we have a very solid secondary overall, with Wilson leading the way. Williams and Byrd have a ton of potential.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wood needs an incentive contract with a low signing bonus and low guaranteed money, he is a bit too brittle to be getting big guaranteed money. Let McKelvin walk maybe, he just is not a very good CB. Bell same as Wood, incentive laden, low upfront.

That is not going to happen. Firstly, Wood was pretty dominant and having him @ center gave Fitz the extra second to throw the ball or provide the holes for Freddy to run. In fact with Wood gone, our season went down the toilet. Wood will be a top FA if the Bills do not re-sign him. He is not going to take a incentive laden contract.

OK, like I said...I like Byrd as a player, and hope the Bills keep him...

I remember people talking about Ko Simpson like this after his good year... I am not saying that Byrd is Ko Simpson, but give it a little more time before considering him a hall of famer.

He is a FS, he is SUPPOSED to make tackles, especially against a poor defense like the Bills. My concern is this, he plays fundamentally well, but rarely makes big plays or tackles. He is frequently late on deep routes, as he is not very aggressive. He IS a good tackler, and has a good eye for the ball. Like I said I like him, but to rate him a "top 10" safety at this point is a little ridiculous, fans from other teams haven't even heard of him yet.

George Wilson was dominant before he got hurt. All over the field, making big plays against the run and the pass. A VERY solid tackler, with WR hands. He deserves a big chunk of credit for the early season success. I think we have a very solid secondary overall, with Wilson leading the way. Williams and Byrd have a ton of potential.

Ko and Lil Donte were our backfield for the next decade! Best laid plans. I hope Ko kept his million bucks, he will need it for the rest of his life.