interesting potential

robert cohen

after a yr of learning under brady.. the kid had ALL the physical tools to be a stud and i loved him in college.. very competitive and pats certainly drafted him to trade him.. dont think bills will go after him but i like him better than landry jones and any QB this yr outside of luck and RG3 and he had a yr to learn behind brady and talent was never his problem.. immaturity was his biggest problem and pats are the ultimate team to take boys and turn them into men..

just an intersting thought cuz we arent getting luck nor RG3.

The Pats haven't had success developing a QB since Brady fell into their laps. Mallett will be no different.

Amazing comment - but based on what?

They developed Brady, then Cassels. Not many others have had a chance to play since Brady rarely gets hurts.

No reason to think that Mallet will not be put into a very favorable position to succeed if and when the time comes.

I don't see it happening ! Either the Pats trading Mallet to us (unless of coarse they really wanted another draft pick & we were really able to pay the price) or the Bills being willing or able to give up enough to go & get him from the Pats...

Buddy would rather get a QB in the late rounds & have Fitz work with him & said he is going to build through the draft . Plus New England isn't going to give Mallet away with out a kings ransom like they did with the guy that KC got from them ?? Sorry brain fart ?? Can't remember his name :blink: ??

But the Nix/Wailey/Gailey team will do what is best for our team i for one have faith in what they have done to this point unlike some of the Bills fans !!

Amazing comment - but based on what?

They developed Brady, then Cassels. Not many others have had a chance to play since Brady rarely gets hurts.

No reason to think that Mallet will not be put into a very favorable position to succeed if and when the time comes.

The Pats have drafted a half-dozen QB's who have done nothing in the NFL, despite having a chance to learn under Brady. As for Cassel, he looked good in the Pats' system and hasn't looked that good with the Chefs. Mallett could look good in the Pats' system, but do you want another Matt Cassel? And considering he likely won't get nearly the extended action that Cassel did, and is under contract with them for at least another 3 years, what would you give up in trade and pay him?

I don't see it happening ! Either the Pats trading Mallet to us (unless of coarse they really wanted another draft pick & we were really able to pay the price) or the Bills being willing or able to give up enough to go & get him from the Pats...

Buddy would rather get a QB in the late rounds & have Fitz work with him & said he is going to build through the draft . Plus New England isn't going to give Mallet away with out a kings ransom like they did with the guy that KC got from them ?? Sorry brain fart ?? Can't remember his name :blink: ??

But the Nix/Wailey/Gailey team will do what is best for our team i for one have faith in what they have done to this point unlike some of the Bills fans !!

Cassel didn't fetch a king's ransom. He was traded, along with OLB Mike Vrabel, for the 34th overall pick.

Mallet was and remains a very good QB prospect that the Pats got dirt cheap in last years draft. Personally I would love to see him behind Fitz next year, but its not going to happen. Hoyer's contract is up and he will be looking for a starting job somewhere and the Pats will obviously not be franchising him. So Mallet was drafted as Brady's backup and possible successor, depending on how he pans out (which IMO is entirely up to him).

If the Bills go looking for a QB this year it will have to be someone like Jones or Foles.

The Pats haven't had success developing a QB since Brady fell into their laps. Mallett will be no different.

whew!!!, that is a relief, for the last ten years I was believing the Pats were smarter than we were.

Edited by Trader

whew!!!, that is a relief, for the last ten years I was believing the Pats were smarter than we were.

No, they were smarter. They knew Brady would be good, so they waited until the 6th round to take him. Then they paid Mo Lewis to almost kill Bledsoe early in the season, so he could get his chance.

yea,like the pats are going to trade a QB that was groomed by brady to a division rival.good luck,maybe they'll throw in vince wolfork

They did trade us Bledsoe. Pats are always in the market for a first rounder so its' possible but I doubt it happens as Ralph is set with Fitz. As usual we should have drafted him when we had the chance. A QB with franchise potentential should be swiped up in the second and definitely by the third. We did the same thing with Trenative and JP was more established than Fitz was at the time of last years draft.

I for one am a million times all in for Mallett over Fitz.............If mike vrabel and a 34th pick got it done last time, then i say any of our lb's (except Shepp or Barnett) and 2nd round pick for Mallett would be awesome........Of course the bills could have just drafted Mallett last year but that would have made too much sense.......

Let's nip this garbage in the butt right a way. The Bills will not draft a QB in the 1st round of this draft. Anybody with any brains knows that and understands why. Stop the post on what QB in the 1st round we will draft. Please I'm begging you. See if you can open up your mind and start looking at other players than just the ones that play QB.

I for one am a million times all in for Mallett over Fitz.............If mike vrabel and a 34th pick got it done last time, then i say any of our lb's (except Shepp or Barnett) and 2nd round pick for Mallett would be awesome........Of course the bills could have just drafted Mallett last year but that would have made too much sense.......

Trading a LB + a 2nd rounder for a second year QB who has never gotten any worthwhile playing time? And you want him over Fitz.... I can understand not being a big fan of Fitz, but this is a classic case of the grass being greener on the other side. Different does not always equal better.

The good thing about the qb situation is that thigpen is so weak armed and terrible that you lose essentially nothing by opening up the 2 slot to a new prospect.

man is that the truth. problem is Thigpen 1-12 lifetime starter is part of the Gailey/Nix old cronies club. Isn't he making something like 3 million a year? Surely there are better prospects at that price.Somehow this fits the theory of the Bills do spend money they just don't do it wisely (see Brad Smith).

On the subject of Mallett I'm sure the hoody is grooming him just for the Bills, yea.

If the Bills let 75 players get taken before Mallett, it's obvious they didn't think he was good enough. I wish we had taken Mallett in the second or third, but it looks like we got a player in Aaron Williams. I am not sold yet on Kelvin Sheppard, but lord knows it would have been disaster town (OK, next-level disaster town) if we had yet another LB spot to fill after this season. Trading more assets to get this guy when we could have had him in R3 would be characteristic Bills foolishness of a sort that we all hope is being left in the past.

Trading those assets to the Patriots? Jesus, we know better than that.

Edited by RuntheDamnBall

Fixed it for you.

Thanks for fixing that for me, Doc, but I wasn't talking about the other teams. I don't think Green Bay gave a damn where Mallett was getting picked because they probably weren't going to make a move to get him. I was talking about how the Bills, believed to have a need for a franchise QB, did not take Mallett with their picks, nor did they move into position to select him before 75. I have no idea if any other teams had a desire to move in front of that pick, nor do I care.

The point was that if the Bills didn't value him enough to take him with three chances to do so, they shouldn't pay inflated value to acquire the same guy a year later. Even if they like him. That's losing strategy.

Thanks for fixing that for me, Doc, but I wasn't talking about the other teams. I don't think Green Bay gave a damn where Mallett was getting picked because they probably weren't going to make a move to get him. I was talking about how the Bills, believed to have a need for a franchise QB, did not take Mallett with their picks, nor did they move into position to select him before 75. I have no idea if any other teams had a desire to move in front of that pick, nor do I care.

The point was that if the Bills didn't value him enough to take him with three chances to do so, they shouldn't pay inflated value to acquire the same guy a year later. Even if they like him. That's losing strategy.

While I agree with what you're saying about the Bills, if the Pats, who have Brady, took Mallett, why should the Packers shy away from him, if they think he'll be good? The point I was making is no one liked him enough to take him where top prospects are taken, i.e. 1st round/beginning of 2nd round. Moreover the kid has done nothing in the NFL for even warranting trading any pick for him.

The Pats have drafted a half-dozen QB's who have done nothing in the NFL, despite having a chance to learn under Brady. As for Cassel, he looked good in the Pats' system and hasn't looked that good with the Chefs. Mallett could look good in the Pats' system, but do you want another Matt Cassel? And considering he likely won't get nearly the extended action that Cassel did, and is under contract with them for at least another 3 years, what would you give up in trade and pay him?

Half dozen QBs since when? Come on, nobody is going to play with Brady healthy. All I know is that the drafted Cassel, developed him, won 11 games with him, and traded him for a second rounder. The Pats* made out great on the Cassel deal. Never said I would trade for any Pats QB?

Edited by Bob in STL