Refs are intentionally miscalling games

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

(I know...a patsies viewpoint, but I had a hard time finding information about this game).

Bledsoe, playing with a broken finger, engineered late 4th-quarter comebacks against the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills to save the season. The Bills game was especially controversial, as the game was prolonged due to a series of questionable calls. With under a minute to go and down by four points, the Patriots engineered a long drive. However, the Buffalo defense appeared to stop the Patriots on 4th down with a juggled catch out of bounds. The referee needed to determine whether receiver Shawn Jefferson was inbounds, caught the ball, and achieved first down yardage. The referee on the sideline signaled first down after a conference with other officials. Several Bills claimed one said "just give it to them" (referring to first down yardage) in the huddle. Television instant replays showed that he was short of first down yardage, but the NFL had discontinued use of instant replay the previous season. This was followed by a questionable pass interference call made in the end zone on what would have been the game's final play. Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for a touchdown on the final untimed play of the game. In protest, the Bills left the field and let the Patriots kicker Adam Vinateri walk in for a meaningless two-point conversion. Doug Flutie, then the Bills' quarterback, later quipped "They gave them the game, we figured we might as well give them the extra point.”

I watched that game and remember the refs giving it to them. I remember Andre Reed saying after the game "I heard the ref say "just give it to them"". The most egregious referee

mistake I have ever seen. Anyone else remember the game?

Forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Refs are intentionally miscalling games"

"I don't believe the games are fixed"

Make up your mind, Sybil.

Anyway, still waiting to hear why the Colts a.) don't want Luck and b.) why they need to the League to help them not get Luck. Can't they just not pick him?

This is a long way to go to get in a weekly dig at the refs.

Fixing the game would require the players to throw the game. But the refs can affect the outcome of the game if they are purposely making bad calls.

They don't want Luck because Manning thinks he will play way past his prime and doesn't want his heir apparent pushing him out too soon.

They could not just pick him but they don't want to deal with the fan base revolting.

Who is Sybil?

This really is the thing that makes me sit on the fence over whether I should continue being a fan and spend time and $ watching sports.

I mean, it's within the realm of possibility that the Bills could improve if they magically hit on 7 guys of All-Pro caliber each draft... or once we lose Scrooge McDuck and his bagmen and actually pay to have competent depth.

But, you can't win when the league has it all scripted out to decimate a city's pride and run down the franchise in order to move it elsewhere with less fuss.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_New_England_Patriots

(I know...a patsies viewpoint, but I had a hard time finding information about this game).

Bledsoe, playing with a broken finger, engineered late 4th-quarter comebacks against the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills to save the season. The Bills game was especially controversial, as the game was prolonged due to a series of questionable calls. With under a minute to go and down by four points, the Patriots engineered a long drive. However, the Buffalo defense appeared to stop the Patriots on 4th down with a juggled catch out of bounds. The referee needed to determine whether receiver Shawn Jefferson was inbounds, caught the ball, and achieved first down yardage. The referee on the sideline signaled first down after a conference with other officials. Several Bills claimed one said "just give it to them" (referring to first down yardage) in the huddle. Television instant replays showed that he was short of first down yardage, but the NFL had discontinued use of instant replay the previous season. This was followed by a questionable pass interference call made in the end zone on what would have been the game's final play. Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for a touchdown on the final untimed play of the game. In protest, the Bills left the field and let the Patriots kicker Adam Vinateri walk in for a meaningless two-point conversion. Doug Flutie, then the Bills' quarterback, later quipped "They gave them the game, we figured we might as well give them the extra point.”

I watched that game and remember the refs giving it to them. I remember Andre Reed saying after the game "I heard the ref say "just give it to them"". The most egregious referee

mistake I have ever seen. Anyone else remember the game?

I firmly believe that this game, along with the Vinny Testaverde "TD" against Seattle, were the reasons that replay was brought back. Has the Bills won that game, the playoff game vs Miami (which also had its share of horrific officiating) would have been in Buffalo.

I also remember the backlash the league got from John Butler and Ralph over this game. When Tagliabue threatened Ralph with a fine, Ralph responded with something similar to "I was forming the NFL when you were in diapers, pal!".

No fine was issued.

Edited by BuffaloWings

Fixing the game would require the players to throw the game. But the refs can affect the outcome of the game if they are purposely making bad calls.

They don't want Luck because Manning thinks he will play way past his prime and doesn't want his heir apparent pushing him out too soon.

They could not just pick him but they don't want to deal with the fan base revolting.

Who is Sybil?

Refs who make purposefully bad calls are fixing the game.

With regard to the Colts, your reasoning makes less and less sense the more you explain it. If Manning is still that good, his "heir apparent" will not be "pushing him out too soon". And why on Earth would the Colts FO care about that anyway?? They would pass on Luck in order not to upset Manning? That's just....well, crazy.

Ref favoritism for certain players and teams is the norm in every other major sport, not sure why NFL fans would pretend it's not the case in football.

Yep. And it's not like there hasn't been tainted officiating in other sports.

Another badly called game(intentional?--ask Marv). Superbowl 26, Redskins vs. Bills. First half, four no-call pass interferences, two on James Lofton, and two on Andre Reed. In frustration, Andre takes his helmet off and slams it to the turf drawing a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Coach Levy is seen getting in the ref's face as the teams head to the tunnel at halftime saying repeatedly "You've been bought!" It's not hard to see when viewing the clip that Coach had a point.

On another related note, does anyone remember after Superbowl 25 vs. the Giants, Bill Parcells retired, and, months (or years) later was interviewed by Roy Firestone on ESPN when he stated "I had a plant in the replay booth". I remember thinking "what a (rat), he should be banned from having any association with the NFL forever!" I've tried to find a clip of that interview without success.

This really is the thing that makes me sit on the fence over whether I should continue being a fan and spend time and $ watching sports.

I mean, it's within the realm of possibility that the Bills could improve if they magically hit on 7 guys of All-Pro caliber each draft... or once we lose Scrooge McDuck and his bagmen and actually pay to have competent depth.

But, you can't win when the league has it all scripted out to decimate a city's pride and run down the franchise in order to move it elsewhere with less fuss.

There is no way all the players would bag games. The only sport that went fake was Catch wrestling (pro) and has now reemerged as MMA and stayed alive in carnivals and Japan.

If the Bills left there would be outrage regardless of their record.

They already have. They have already outlawed defense. It sucks. If I wanted to watch the areana league and their 78-85 scores I would. Hint: I don't.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Bring back the violence!!!

Ref favoritism for certain players and teams is the norm in every other major sport, not sure why NFL fans would pretend it's not the case in football.

How do we get on the favored status list.

Another badly called game(intentional?--ask Marv). Superbowl 26, Redskins vs. Bills. First half, four no-call pass interferences, two on James Lofton, and two on Andre Reed. In frustration, Andre takes his helmet off and slams it to the turf drawing a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. Coach Levy is seen getting in the ref's face as the teams head to the tunnel at halftime saying repeatedly "You've been bought!" It's not hard to see when viewing the clip that Coach had a point.

youtube.com/watch?v=gFoOn78iL1s

On another related note, does anyone remember after Superbowl 25 vs. the Giants, Bill Parcells retired, and, months (or years) later was interviewed by Roy Firestone on ESPN when he stated "I had a plant in the replay booth". I remember thinking "what a (rat), he should be banned from having any association with the NFL forever!" I've tried to find a clip of that interview without success.

Never knew Marv said that, ouch for us!

Easy:

-Become a bigger TV market

-Get an owner who is part of the league leadership rather than a laughingstock

-Get true superstar player(s)

Agreed. Fans still don't get it, Ralph isn't liked nor respected in this league by fellow owners. He again pulled his normal BS by getting with that assclown from the Bungles and wouldnt' sign the new CBA unless they agreed on no cap floor till 2013. I presume he thinks he will be Dead by then so he wouldn't ever have to meet it. I dunno, but I do know we need this clown gone as owner

I was in the USAF when that game was played, stationed in Japan (near Tokyo) at the time, and I had to watch that game on Monday morning. As it happened, just like Marv, I was incredulous, and angry at all the missed PI calls. Btw, Ref Markbreit is an Idiot; never liked that guy.

You can say that again, I was totally disgusted and could care less about those two teams. It's how it could ruin the league and the game that really concerns me.

Have been thinking this way for a few years now. The inconsistency and idiocy of holding and pass interference calls is what's ruined it for me.

Yes, Orlovski is a regular Michael Jordan. and the 2-13 Colts are gonna get the calls.

Yep. And it's not like there hasn't been tainted officiating in other sports.

Well, there was that guy in the NBA a few years ago.....hey-you're right! The NFL is rigged!