Who Are Your Top 5 Candidates For Head Coach

Hater

If The Bills decide to fire Chan Gailey Who would you want to replace him here is My Top 5

Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Herman Edwards

Jeff Fisher

Brain Bilicek

they all are reach but a person can dream

With the exception of Edwards, those guys would require pay checks FAR out of the "budget" of the Bills. But holy hell, why is Edwards on that list to begin with? He is an awful coach, and just an idiot overall...

I'd love the other 4, but don't see it happening. Fisher seems the most feasible, which would suit me just fine.

I am not sure who Brain Bilicek is (some hybrid mutant offspring of Brian Billick and Bill Belichick?), but I personally think Billick is way overrated.

Lets be perfectly honest here though, there is about ZERO chance that anyone other than Gailey is coaching this team next year...I am fine with that too, this season is far from being all his fault. We do need an upgrade at DC badly though, that better happen.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, man. Dick Jauron did not do better on offense. Ever. We got more wins, but I saw nothing better in that era, except that we might have had more than one NFL caliber receiver on the field at the time.

Gailey hasn't found a way out of it because the defense is almost immediately putting the offense in a hole in every game. The run game is doing well, but Fitzpatrick isn't. As he goes, the team goes. Gailey cannot throw the ball for Fitzy. His FO has not put a better QB on the roster, so we live and die with Fitz. I agree that Gailey has abandoned the run too quickly and will need to go back to school this winter to learn from what defenses are throwing at him.

I simply refuse to believe that many coaches would be doing better with the current roster and situation. I think a reputable DC would do marginally better with the defense, but there is still a need for talent in all the areas I outlined. Just because the losing streak started while we had those two players doesn't mean that it was magically going to get better, without the guy who calls the protections and the offense's most talented playmaker. If you like 5-11, get ready for a new head coach because he's going to be bringing more of the same unless the front office gives him something to work with.

First off, do the Bills even win those 5 games if the defense didn't give them all those turnovers in the beginning of the year? 3 turnovers by the Chiefs-2 turnovers by the Raiders 4 INT's on Brady, and the Pats still almost won- 5 turnovers by the Eagles-2 turnovers by the Redskins. The bad defense stops getting turnovers and we all see them for what they are, a bad defense. The offense has the short passing game shut down and we all see them for what they are, a bad offense.

What don't you get in the fact that opposing teams have figured out how to defeat Chan Gaileys offense? 7 straight loses, Jauron had almost the same players and just as many injuries and still won 7 games.

I don't dislike Chan Gailey as a person, he just stinks as a HC. He chose the wrong OC & DC, he chose a RB with his first pick, instead on an O lineman or OLB

If The Bills decide to fire Chan Gailey Who would you want to replace him here is My Top 5

Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Herman Edwards

Jeff Fisher

Brain Bilicek

Put down your pipe and stop dreaming. Chan shouldn't and wont be going anywhere soon.

First off, do the Bills even win those 5 games if the defense didn't give them all those turnovers in the beginning of the year? 3 turnovers by the Chiefs-2 turnovers by the Raiders 4 INT's on Brady, and the Pats still almost won- 5 turnovers by the Eagles-2 turnovers by the Redskins. The bad defense stops getting turnovers and we all see them for what they are, a bad defense. The offense has the short passing game shut down and we all see them for what they are, a bad offense.

What don't you get in the fact that opposing teams have figured out how to defeat Chan Gaileys offense? 7 straight loses, Jauron had almost the same players and just as many injuries and still won 7 games.

I don't dislike Chan Gailey as a person, he just stinks as a HC. He chose the wrong OC & DC, he chose a RB with his first pick, instead on an O lineman or OLB

I didn't realize you had all the inside info on how the drafting is done at OBD. My mistake.

Also, Jauron had almost the same players? WHAAAAAAA? I will bet you $20 that the roster has had at least a 66% turnover in the past two years. Take that to the bank.

Consider why the defense stops getting turnovers for a minute, will you? No Kyle Williams and Merriman commanding double-teams or at least getting enough pressure for the LBs to roam free and get hands up [disclaimer - I am not saying these guys played well this year, but they are better than what's on the field]. No George Wilson. Zero pass rush. Alex Carrington at LB. Spencer Johnson at LB.

I get the fact that teams have figured out how to beat Gailey's offense. If you don't think he would have an easier time making adjustments with Jackson and Wood in tow, to say nothing of an actual NFL #2 receiver, I don't know how to help you.

Your points aren't unreasonable, but you seem to be ignoring the big "coincidences" that joined the 7 straight loses. First and foremost losing Fred Jackson, who was leading the league in rushing and total yards, and on MVP pace. Losing our best OL and center Eric Wood, our tight end (and a top TD catcher), pro bowl NT, 2nd receiver on an already weak receiving core, heck even our kicker (the list goes on). We all knew this team didn't have the depth to deal with injuries...

Nix and Modrak should get most of the credit for drafting Spiller (Modrak was fired shortly after I believe). I think Gailey had been the HC for all of a few months at that point, and Nix not too much longer. Sure he had input, but the GM/owner have final say in who gets drafted. Besides Spiller wasn't nearly as bad as the Troup pick IMO, lol (Spiller had ~160 total yards and a few TD's last week). In defense of them though, I thought this past draft was downright great.

Personally, I can't put the second half of this season solely on Gailey, or Fitz for that matter. The team disintegrated around them, and the defensive coach is downright awful...He certainly can absorb much of the blame. 32 points allowed avg over the last 9 games I believe.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Your points aren't unreasonable, but you seem to be ignoring the big "coincidences" that joined the 7 straight loses. First and foremost losing Fred Jackson, who was leading the league in rushing and total yards, and on MVP pace. Losing our best OL and center Eric Wood, our tight end (and a top TD catcher), pro bowl NT, 2nd receiver on an already weak receiving core, heck even our kicker (the list goes on). We all knew this team didn't have the depth to deal with injuries...

Nix and Modrak should get most of the credit for drafting Spiller (Modrak was fired shortly after I believe). I think Gailey had been the HC for all of a few months at that point, and Nix not too much longer. Sure he had input, but the GM/owner have final say in who gets drafted. Besides Spiller wasn't nearly as bad as the Troup pick IMO, lol (Spiller had ~160 total yards and a few TD's last week). In defense of them though, I thought this past draft was downright great.

Personally, I can't put the second half of this season solely on Gailey, or Fitz for that matter. The team disintegrated around them, and the defensive coach is downright awful...He certainly can absorb much of the blame. 32 points allowed avg over the last 9 games I believe.

The Bills are currently 5-9 right? 14 games right? Fred Jackson played 10 games this year right? Eric Wood Played 9 games right? Then how come only 5 wins?

You want to blame all the losses on the injuries, ok, but then Dick Jaurons teams were also riddled with injuries and he still managed 7 wins, 3 years in a row....with Trent Edwards and JP Losman at QB no less :w00t:

I think you could give this HC 10 years and he will never make the playoffs in the AFC East, not with his poor decisions on player personnel, game plans, play calls, assistants OC & DC

As much as the fans want a new coach, we won't get one. The fans see right through Chan's injury excuse, but management will fall for it. Another thing, even if we do fire Gailey, none of these guys will want to come to Buffalo. First of all, who wants to come to a team in shambles like the Bills. Second of all, we won't open the checkbook for any of these guys any ways.We likely will end up with a lame coach like Tony Sparano or Todd Haley if Gailey doesn't work out.

Anyhow, Gailey still has all the reasons to be fired.

1-How do you have 9 wins in two seasons the way we do? Its not like he won 2 games and then won 7. We won 4 in 2010 and now 5 in 2011.

2-How do you not have more wins than Dick Jauron did with no talent and just as many injuries?

3-How do you hire an offensive guru like Gailey who is too incompetent to change our offensive game plan when it clearly no longer works?

I honestly think Gailey should be given one more chance. But, in saying this, I think he should know he is on the hot seat if he doesn't get a quick start out of this team next year.

Go Bills!

Edited by Buffalo Bill1

Marty S, he actually is one of the very few who wanted the Buffalo Bills HCing job....badly, according to ESPN

Plus, Marty S is also noted for taking bad teams (like Buffalo) and turning them into winners in a short time.

I will never understand why we passed him up when he wanted to come. If someone can make the Browns a contender, despite the fact that it was decades ago, take him. At least it goes to show that there ARE at least some talented coaches who do want to come to Buffalo.

Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Herman Edwards

Jeff Fisher

Brain Bilicek

You mean Brian Billic?

Gary Paterson from TCU. He has led them to multiple BCS bowl wins from non powerhouse school and is a master of half time adjustments and getting the most out of his players.

Wouldn't mind the Bills drafting Tank Carder from there who has phenomenal instincts and playmaking ability. He looked hurt last night as he was getting slow after every play.

Also their QB Casey Pachall is going to be a high draft pick (maybe next year)and we should keep an eye on him as a replacement for Fitz down the road.

Fisher is a no brainer but he wont be coming to Buffalo, he will be coaching Dallas next year

my first choice is and has been Marty Schottenheimer

Schottenheimer would have been awesome and was my choice as well. He may have had some dumb luck in the playoffs but at least he got there. He always had a consistent winner and knows what commitment to the run means and how to use a 34 defense.

Clearly you missed Edwards time at Kansas City I highly doubt he will ever be considered for a head coaching position again after that debacle...Mrs Edwards

Afterall he went 15-33 in his 3 years. Plus with the Jets he NEVER won a playoff game! :sick:

Kansas City where in decline whe he took over so I can't really blame it all on him