San Fran

thewildrabbit

Some nice responses, some with excuses, if ya like excuses....

What is it with the Buffalo Bills fans....do they suffer from a sort of bizarre paradoxical psychological phenomenon, like some variation of the Stockholm syndrome?

Have the fans been battered and beaten down for so long that 5 wins in a season is good enough? Are fans expressing empathy for the 3 headed monster at OBD that have held them captive for over a decade, so much so that they feel the need to defend them, and the people they hire?

sorry guys, but 4-11 to a probable 5-10 this year simply isn't near good enough for me, and never will be. To me coaching is everything! Jim Harbough just proved you don't need 3-5 years to turn around a bad team 6-10 last year with basically the same players to 11-3 so far this year

I think the point most are trying to make is we had middle of the pack talent performing accordingly while they had top of their division talent underperforming. While a different coach may have us at 6-7 wins this year I don't think any coach has us at the 2 seed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point most are trying to make is we had middle of the pack talent performing accordingly while they had top of their division talent underperforming. While a different coach may have us at 6-7 wins this year I don't think any coach has us at the 2 seed.

Simply not true

Look back at the first part of the season, Fred Jackson was the leading rusher and doing better then just about every other big name RB in the league. Ryan Fitzpatrick was also playing very well and continued to play well until the Bengals uncovered the Bills weak points on offense and exploited them.

The plan was simple, shut down the short passing game, spy Fred Jackson and you stop the Bills offense cold! Why? because they have no power running game that can dominate the line of scrimmage in any fashion. because they have no deep passing game, a QB that can't take 5-7 step dropbacks because the O line won't allow him more then 3 seconds on any given play.

Chan Gailey has no plan B.. or C...or D...or anything else beyond what he went into the season with!!! Which is unbelievably lame IMO. How does a HC not turn more to his running game when his QB is playing poorly game after game. Then when his RB is playing well and doing good, he mysteriously stops using him, stating he is frail or something. WTH he is an NFL RB with about the same measurable's as Chris Johnson 5'11'' 191- Jamaal Charles 5'11'' 199- CJ Spiller 5'11'' 197

The defense was a sieve all year, but in the beginning they were getting some pressure on the QB and also getting loads of turnovers. One player injured and the pass rush was gone.

A weak O line with some bad players, and others prone to injuries. Buddy Nix even knew he needed help on that line, its why he went after Tyson Clybo in free agency. But then failed to keep C Geo Hangartner, and failed to acquire further O line depth.

Who is to say that a top coach would allow his team to enter the season with a halfassed O line, with one injury prone pass rusher...with one tight end who wasn't even proven going into the season...with a defense that had the worst rush defense in the history of the franchise and yet keeps the same DC.

Who is to say that a top head coach hires the proper coordinators with proven NFL experience at their jobs that know what they are doing, and that has all their players tuned into what their jobs are, so when an injury hits there is little or no drop off in play. ( like the Packers last year 19 players on IR)

Who is to say that a top head coach hires the proper strength and conditioning coaches to ensure there are less injuries on his team.

Bill Cowher, Marty Schottheimer have this team in the playoffs this year. They wouldn't go into a season with so many weak areas, so many bad players, so little depth.

Simply not true

Look back at the first part of the season, Fred Jackson was the leading rusher and doing better then just about every other big name RB in the league. Ryan Fitzpatrick was also playing very well and continued to play well until the Bengals uncovered the Bills weak points on offense and exploited them.

The plan was simple, shut down the short passing game, spy Fred Jackson and you stop the Bills offense cold! Why? because they have no power running game that can dominate the line of scrimmage in any fashion. because they have no deep passing game, a QB that can't take 5-7 step dropbacks because the O line won't allow him more then 3 seconds on any given play.

Chan Gailey has no plan B.. or C...or D...or anything else beyond what he went into the season with!!! Which is unbelievably lame IMO. How does a HC not turn more to his running game when his QB is playing poorly game after game. Then when his RB is playing well and doing good, he mysteriously stops using him, stating he is frail or something. WTH he is an NFL RB with about the same measurable's as Chris Johnson 5'11'' 191- Jamaal Charles 5'11'' 199- CJ Spiller 5'11'' 197

The defense was a sieve all year, but in the beginning they were getting some pressure on the QB and also getting loads of turnovers. One player injured and the pass rush was gone.

A weak O line with some bad players, and others prone to injuries. Buddy Nix even knew he needed help on that line, its why he went after Tyson Clybo in free agency. But then failed to keep C Geo Hangartner, and failed to acquire further O line depth.

Who is to say that a top coach would allow his team to enter the season with a halfassed O line, with one injury prone pass rusher...with one tight end who wasn't even proven going into the season...with a defense that had the worst rush defense in the history of the franchise and yet keeps the same DC.

Who is to say that a top head coach hires the proper coordinators with proven NFL experience at their jobs that know what they are doing, and that has all their players tuned into what their jobs are, so when an injury hits there is little or no drop off in play. ( like the Packers last year 19 players on IR)

Who is to say that a top head coach hires the proper strength and conditioning coaches to ensure there are less injuries on his team.

Bill Cowher, Marty Schottheimer have this team in the playoffs this year. They wouldn't go into a season with so many weak areas, so many bad players, so little depth.

Frankly we don't disagree by a wide margin. I understand the frustration but I also think we are a couple very talented players short of their roster. If we lined up all 22 starters I think they take it on a solid 14-15 out of them and some of those are wide gaps. I think we could have taken more games but not to the point they did. The NFL is a tight spread and they are a little better.

Frankly we don't disagree by a wide margin. I understand the frustration but I also think we are a couple very talented players short of their roster. If we lined up all 22 starters I think they take it on a solid 14-15 out of them and some of those are wide gaps. I think we could have taken more games but not to the point they did. The NFL is a tight spread and they are a little better.

I'm not arguing the player personnel differential at this point in the season, mainly because both Fred Jackson and Eric wood were still playing when this epic collapse started

My complain is about the coaching, or lack of decent coaching on the defense and offense. My take is Fitz is way better then Alex Smith and yet Smith has a way better team around him which makes him look better. Gailey has had 2 years to make improvements on this team and really the only players that look good are the ones that were already with the team when he got here.

Gailey didn't know Fitz was the better QB over Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards. Gailey didn't know Fred Jackson was the better RB over Lynch because when Lynch was here he was the starter. Plus he didn't know what he had in Fred Jackson or he never would have even drafted Spiller with the #9 overall.

A DC that fields the worst rush defense in the history of the franchise and this HC retains him, then thinks the answer is to hire wannstache as LB'ers coach to help him out. Dunno why because his background was with a 4-3. even with the help this years defense is just about as bad as last years. they got a bit better against the run but sacrificed against the pass defense to do it. Is Wannstedt helping to tank the defense so he gets hired as HC??

Its all the coaching discrepancies that bother me. Its the lack of proper game plans, lack of ability to go in at half time and come out with something that works to win the game on both offense and defense. Bottom line is wins

Look back at the recent history of the 49ers:

2005 4-12 HC Mike Nolan

2006 7-9 HC Mike Nolan

2007 5-11 HC Mike Nolan

2008 7-9 HC Mike Singletary

2009 8-8 HC Mike Singletary

2010 6-10 HC Mike Singletary 5-10 interim HC Jim Tomsula 1-0

Mediocre right? Middle of the pack to low end drafting right? About the same as the Buffalo Bills 7-9, 7-9. 7-9, 6-10, 4-12, right?

Look what a new head coach hire can do to a team, with NO OFF SEASON to speak of....One new HCing coaching hire in Jim Harbough and the team is not only in the playoffs but could be fighting for home field thru out.....amazing!

Top coaching talent is not coming to the Bills until long term ownership is in place. Would you take a job when your boss is near death and as soon as he dies you and your entire staff get replaced? Answer is no. The Bills in their current ralph-death-watch state are absolutely kryptonite to anyone other than the Gaileys and Jaurons of the world desperate for a way back into the NFL. truth.

A top 5 defense that hasn't allowed a rushing TD this year! With Donte Whitner starting !

A refurbished failure of a QB who has basically stunk it up his entire career until he plays for a HC that knows how to set up the offense to help him.

Is Alex Smith suddenly an "elite" QB? Oh, but the team is winning, and is 11-3 under a new HC? He must be a an "elite" " Franchise" QB because a team can't win without one...

I don't understand this fan base, half the fans here think Gailey is doing good at 5-9. Half the fans here think Buddy Nix is doing a good job. Most of the fans are still blaming Jauron / Levy for lack of talent, and still state its lack of player talent that is responsible for all the losses

What a crock of horse-crap, its the lack of talent in coaching that has ruined this franchise over the last decade,and continues to ruin it, pure and simple.

I agree with the point the poster was trying to make - coaching, good coaching, makes a mediocre team good, but bad coaching can make a talent laden team suck. That is a truth, and that is why I think any GM has to start at Head Coach and go from there. No crappy coach is going to win a Super Bowl. That should be chiseled into every owner and GM's mind - it doesn't happen. So, how can Buffalo address that? The answer has only three options, as far as I see:

1. Ralph gets lucky and a GM - Nix or Whaley, it looks like, hires either a young, up and comer who takes the league by storm, or somehow convinces someone like Schottenheimer to come around, who is old enough to look at a last run with the right pieces in place.

2. Ralph sells or passes on and a new owner can convince an elite coach to take Buffalo on.

As it is, we all know no good coach will come here. Is our losing due to bad coaching entirely? No. That should also be said. Certainly, our coaches of late are not going to turn out to be great coaches elsewhere. But, our entire Football organization is putrid. I place more blame on those who should be finding coaches and managers - the ownership, other guys like Littman, or Overdorf, or Russ Brandon; those guys are not as concerned with winning football as they are at keeping a profit coming in. Frankly, Ralph's trusted advisors are all financial men. Who among them is going to say, we need to spend more on personnel, on management? Their jobs aren't to bring in football men, but to bring in money.

If Ralph cared about integrity on the field, about being respected - if he is even conscious of that stuff anymore - he'd sell the team or let a football man come in and take it over. There it is - you can't blame it all on coaching, but, ultimately, without a very good coach, we are never going to be happy.

They have drafted well for a number of years. Guys like Crabtree and Willis and frank Gore is a top back in this league. Joe Staley at T and a couple good LBS. The only thing they really lacked was a decent safety and they signed 3 of them in the offseason.

Alex Smith was a number one pick. Sure he hasn't been lighting up the league but that was hardly due to lack of ability. A solid offensive line and a good running game can hide a lot of problems

You almost make it sound that the 49ers drafted Crabtree, Willis, Gore and Staley this year and somehow also drafted and signed FA for their suddenly solid OL. Give credit to the only thing that was different for them from last season, namely a NEW Coaching Staff. The OP is completely right...Unless this team can invest in a good coaching staff (and I mean an entire staff) the talent is never going to be able to shine. Bring on a Jeff Fisher and this team will make the playoff's next season with this same crew.

Big deal! The Bills would go 7-9 in that weak a** division!

Sure...But that is not same as 11-3 and also it will not get them into the playoffs.

2005 4-12 HC Mike Nolan

2006 7-9 HC Mike Nolan

2007 5-11 HC Mike Nolan

2008 7-9 HC Mike Singletary

2009 8-8 HC Mike Singletary

2010 6-10 HC Mike Singletary 5-10 interim HC Jim Tomsula 1-0

Mediocre right? Middle of the pack to low end drafting right? About the same as the Buffalo Bills 7-9, 7-9. 7-9, 6-10, 4-12, right?

Look what a new head coach hire can do to a team, with NO OFF SEASON to speak of....One new HCing coaching hire in Jim Harbough and the team is not only in the playoffs but could be fighting for home field thru out.....amazing!

A top 5 defense that hasn't allowed a rushing TD this year! With Donte Whitner starting !

A refurbished failure of a QB who has basically stunk it up his entire career until he plays for a HC that knows how to set up the offense to help him.

Is Alex Smith suddenly an "elite" QB? Oh, but the team is winning, and is 11-3 under a new HC? He must be a an "elite" " Franchise" QB because a team can't win without one...

I don't understand this fan base, half the fans here think Gailey is doing good at 5-9. Half the fans here think Buddy Nix is doing a good job. Most of the fans are still blaming Jauron / Levy for lack of talent, and still state its lack of player talent that is responsible for all the losses

What a crock of horse-crap, its the lack of talent in coaching that has ruined this franchise over the last decade,and continues to ruin it, pure and simple.

49 ers have great talent on both sides of the ball. Also take into consideration the exception of the Packers the rest of the NFC is nowhere near as competitive as the AFC. Basically i am stating they would not have the same record if they were in the afc.

49 ers have great talent on both sides of the ball. Also take into consideration the exception of the Packers the rest of the NFC is nowhere near as competitive as the AFC. Basically i am stating they would not have the same record if they were in the afc.

I am stating if they had still have harbaugh they would still have at least 9 wins. And Considering they just beat Pittsburgh pretty good, I don't think your thought process holds as much water as you feel it does

What is it with the Buffalo Bills fans....do they suffer from a sort of bizarre paradoxical psychological phenomenon, like some variation of the Stockholm syndrome?

Have the fans been battered and beaten down for so long that 5 wins in a season is good enough? Are fans expressing empathy for the 3 headed monster at OBD that have held them captive for over a decade, so much so that they feel the need to defend them, and the people they hire?

Some believe if they complain about the team, stop buying merchandise (or buy it from China), or stop buying tickets that the team will move. And that is the paradox they are caught in. To them it is better to have a perpetually ****ty team than no team at all. So they bend over and "Billieve" that next year is the year it turns around.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I'm cherry picking points of contention from a series of posts.

Look at the talent on this team and try to find alternate gameplan would have worked to win the game given the personnel we have. The offense is not built for deep passing or power running.

The identity of our passing game is short passing. Dominant football teams force the opponent to play their game. Good defenses shut down the short passing offense because they are good defenses. The coaches put together the most viable offense they could to win the game against that defense.

Saying all that, I still don't understand why Spiller didn't play more of a role later in the game on Sunday, but its hard to tell what's going on by listening to the game on the radio.

Who is to say that a top coach would allow his team to enter the season with a halfassed O line, with one injury prone pass rusher...with one tight end who wasn't even proven going into the season...

This isn't college. The coach isn't the dictator in charge of recruiting players and assembling the roster. This blame falls partly on the coach, but is largely on the shoulders of the GM.

"Good Coaches" are considered good coaches because they are on winning teams. A great coach might exist on a team with awful talent and is perceived as a mediocre coach due to the W/L record. Once they acquire great talent and start winning games, they have the clout to pick and choose their coaching positions to continue the trend of winning. A good coach that doesn't have the clout to pick and choose positions still has to jump at the chance to coach any NFL team, even a bad one.

Your expectations perpetuate a chicken-and-the-egg situation. No coach is good until they win and therefore we must hire a good coach, and no good coach will walk into a situation where there isn't a winning atmosphere.

Gailey didn't know Fitz was the better QB over Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards. Gailey didn't know Fred Jackson was the better RB over Lynch because when Lynch was here he was the starter. Plus he didn't know what he had in Fred Jackson or he never would have even drafted Spiller with the #9 overall.

And Belicheck didn't know Brady was better than Bledsoe until injury gave him the chance to hit the field. Coaches make personnel decisions based on a combination of what they see out of players and what they expect out of players. In the end, what happens on the field gets priority over practice prowess.

A DC that fields the worst rush defense in the history of the franchise and this HC retains him, then thinks the answer is to hire wannstache as LB'ers coach to help him out. Dunno why because his background was with a 4-3. even with the help this years defense is just about as bad as last years. they got a bit better against the run but sacrificed against the pass defense to do it. Is Wannstedt helping to tank the defense so he gets hired as HC??

Agree that the defense is putrid and the leash needs to be short for monitoring changes, but conspiracy theories work against the credibility of your point.

They have drafted well for a number of years. Guys like Crabtree and Willis and frank Gore is a top back in this league. Joe Staley at T and a couple good LBS. The only thing they really lacked was a decent safety and they signed 3 of them in the offseason.

Alex Smith was a number one pick. Sure he hasn't been lighting up the league but that was hardly due to lack of ability. A solid offensive line and a good running game can hide a lot of problems

Allow me to add to what you said. They not only had the talent but KEPT IT. They did not get rid of their #1s cos they did not perform like #1s are supposed to. Contrast that with the Bills approach of looking for reasons to create holes without having proven, better replacements. Lynch, Evans, Poz, Whitner all were let go without knowing a proven replacement. The 49ers on the other had, ADDED a few first rounder cast offs in Braylon Edwards, Carlos Rogers, Whitner and Ted Ginn Jr. They have a heck of a list of first rounders on their roster. While individually they may not be performing as top picks, together they have gelled under Harbaugh and now are serious contenders.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I think you make a good point. But 1) like others have said, its a weak division and 2) you won't be able to attract the best coaches if you get a reputation as an organization that you are too quick to fire people. I say give him one more year and then give him the axe if he doesn't make the playoffs.

I'm cherry picking points of contention from a series of posts.

Which you clearly didn't read thru every post or you wouldn't have made this post.

Look at the talent on this team and try to find alternate gameplan would have worked to win the game given the personnel we have. The offense is not built for deep passing or power running.

The identity of our passing game is short passing. Dominant football teams force the opponent to play their game. Good defenses shut down the short passing offense because they are good defenses. The coaches put together the most viable offense they could to win the game against that defense.

Saying all that, I still don't understand why Spiller didn't play more of a role later in the game on Sunday, but its hard to tell what's going on by listening to the game on the radio.

Trying to be nice here, but you are stating the obvious, which I already pointed out!

How hard would it have been to utilize tight end Scott Chandler in the offense (before he was injured of course) in that short passing game? It was almost like he was an after thought most games and yet if he was the primary receiver on a play he almost always caught the ball and made a big play. The team would have done so much better if Chandler had gotten more targets. The offense could easily be configured to run the ball more often, this HC & OC don't even attempt to try to set up a power running game. Like we both pointed out, even when the run game is working they stop using it

This isn't college. The coach isn't the dictator in charge of recruiting players and assembling the roster. This blame falls partly on the coach, but is largely on the shoulders of the GM.

Baloney, If a coach see's that a certain player clearly isn't capable of doing his job, that player should never even take the field. :case in point last season and RT Cornell Green. This is the most obvious bad player so its easier to understand my point

"Good Coaches" are considered good coaches because they are on winning teams. A great coach might exist on a team with awful talent and is perceived as a mediocre coach due to the W/L record. Once they acquire great talent and start winning games, they have the clout to pick and choose their coaching positions to continue the trend of winning. A good coach that doesn't have the clout to pick and choose positions still has to jump at the chance to coach any NFL team, even a bad one.

Your expectations perpetuate a chicken-and-the-egg situation. No coach is good until they win and therefore we must hire a good coach, and no good coach will walk into a situation where there isn't a winning atmosphere.

More Baloney, look at the history of the NFL the last few years and the main topic of my post here with so many good coaches taking over bad teams and transforming them into good teams! Atlanta-Detriot-Falcons-Saints-49ers-Broncos, just to name a few.

Jim Harbough took over a bad team at 6-10 and already has that team at 11-3. Thus my entire point has been the contention that good coaches come in and have an immediate impact that results in more wins then the previous HC. Chan Gailey took a mediocre team and made them worse!!! 6-10 to 4-12

And Belicheck didn't know Brady was better than Bledsoe until injury gave him the chance to hit the field. Coaches make personnel decisions based on a combination of what they see out of players and what they expect out of players. In the end, what happens on the field gets priority over practice prowess.

You are comparing a #1 draft pick,and not just a first rounder, but the #1 overall in the 1993 draft to an after thought draft pick in the 6th round. There was no way a 6th round back up was going to win the starting job over the #1 overall. If not for that severe injury to Bledsoe that knocked him out for awhile, Brady might have never been given a chance!

The difference with the Bills and Edwards-Fitzpatrick-Brohm is that Gailey stated openly that all three were about the same talent. Then Trent Edwards won the job in preseason games, which is clearly more then just practice! So my point is that even when watching all three QB in live game situations he still couldn't see that Fitz was the best of the three. What does that tell you about the mans ability to evaluate a QB? He is a supposed QB guru!

Agree that the defense is putrid and the leash needs to be short for monitoring changes, but conspiracy theories work against the credibility of your point.

The only conspiracy theories here... must going on in your head.

I seriously don't get why fans like you even try to defend this loser of a head coach, 4-12 last year to a probable 5-11 this year. Don't you want to see this team win?

Stating that I also don't get why fans are so afraid of change, how could it get any worse then a bad team? This HC lost his players long ago as they are going thru the motions to collect their paycheck. The NY Jets ripped the heart out of this team 7 weeks ago. :bag:

I agree with the point the poster was trying to make - coaching, good coaching, makes a mediocre team good, but bad coaching can make a talent laden team suck. That is a truth, and that is why I think any GM has to start at Head Coach and go from there. No crappy coach is going to win a Super Bowl.

Dungy (a defensive specialist) won a SB (with it's worst defense of the Manning era). Billick (an offensive specialist) won a SB (and yet never had a top offense--couldn't even identify a decent QB his entire career in BAlt). Andy Reid, a famous gameday mismanager won plenty of division titles when he had top talent around him. Marv wasn't a great coach but he had a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.

I agree with much of the rest of your post. In seasons with multiple opening, Buffalo will struggle to attract any "up and comer" type hot coaching prospects--certainly while Ralph is still alive and they see a guy like ol' Buddy running the show.

The only "buzz" surrounding the Bills is that of flies around the dumpster--from where OBD typically picks to fill their coaching ranks with unemployed has beens and obscure position coaches from other noncompetitive teams or low performing college programs.

...Gailey didn't know Fitz was the better QB over Brian Brohm and Trent Edwards. ...

To be fair though, anyone who observed the QBs through OTAs, mini-camp, training camp, and pre-season in 2010, thought the same thing. Fitz was the worst QB on the team, by far, based on his performances up to that point. Fitz is a frustratingly slow starter for some reason.

GO BILLS!!!

Playing in the weakest division in football, mediocre teams can pull of 10+ wins. Just look at kansas city last year. My money is San Fran getting blown right away in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, the defense has played really well but I don't see the 49ers continuing this for multiple years. They are flawed offensively and the great teams in the NFC match up well to their defense because they are potent passing machines.

Disagree with ya here.....they have drafted a ton of good OL lately and their defense is lights out.....they would give the AFC east fits.....they look like a stronger version of the jets...

To be fair though, anyone who observed the QBs through OTAs, mini-camp, training camp, and pre-season in 2010, thought the same thing. Fitz was the worst QB on the team, by far, based on his performances up to that point. Fitz is a frustratingly slow starter for some reason.

GO BILLS!!!

To be fair, that's not all true. Some of us reported that Fitz looked sharp from the beginning of camp in 2010 (the worst, by far, was Brown, who looked as though he spent exactly zero hours preparing himself phydically in the offseason).

In fact, so many in attendance were so unimpressed with Trent in camp that they took to heckling him openly--to the point where his HC (who would require another 6 weeks to figure out why they were heckling him) had to ask them to stop.

To be fair, that's not all true. Some of us reported that Fitz looked sharp from the beginning of camp in 2010 (the worst, by far, was Brown, who looked as though he spent exactly zero hours preparing himself phydically in the offseason).

In fact, so many in attendance were so unimpressed with Trent in camp that they took to heckling him openly--to the point where his HC (who would require another 6 weeks to figure out why they were heckling him) had to ask them to stop.

I was there. And Fitz looked worse than Edwards did on that day, too. But he was never in anybody's cross hairs.

I didn't even include Levi as part of the conversation because I thought it superfluous to do so. Technically, he was worse than Fitz, so Fitz really wasn't the worst in camp, I guess. But Fitz consistently underperformed both Edwards and Brohm that spring and summer.

But really, WTF difference does it make at this point? If Gailey was stupid for not starting Fitz the first two games of 2010 so what? Silly me for even bringing it up in the first place.

GO BILLS!!!