I thought Spiller looked pretty good.

ieatcrayonz

O-line was pretty good at run blocking, (so why did they stop running until it was too late?) It seemed to me that the pass protection was a problem. The blitzing was a big problem. Maybe that isn't all because of the O-line, maybe Fitz should have audibled for more protection from backs and tight ends. I thought Fitz was good at figuring that stuff out. He seems to regress more each week.

What if crayonz is right? But on the other hand, if Fitz is stinking it up because he got paid, why would he subject himself to some of those hits that he took?

I don't for a second believe that Fitz is mailing it in because he got paid. The guy is smart and a strong competitor. His struggles are (IMHO)

a combination of the following:

1. OL troubles due to injuries - the OL has actually held up better than I would have expected for losing their best player and leader in

Wood, and losing both their 1st AND second string LTs. I don't know if you can over-emphasize how much Wood getting hurt has hindered

this offense. Besides the drop-off in talent, they now have an OG trying to play C and who is making the OL calls now?

2. Stevie Johnson is injured and is a marginal #1/good #2 WR when healthy. David Nelson is a nice #3WR. There is no dominant #1 WR - or

if you count Johnson as that, then there is no good #2 WR.

3. Scott Campbell was WAY better than the weak excuses for NFL players that the Bills have trotted out at TE in the past several years, but

he is hurt and even when healthy is still a bottom-half (maybe bottom third) of the league starting TE. There is absolutely NO depth at

TE, on top of that.

4. Fitzpatrick is smart and tough, but is very marginally (physically) talented to be a starting QB. He MUST excel with his intellect and leadership

and be surrounded by some MUCH better receiving talent and a better OL and running game.

IF the Bills insist on staying with Fitz next year, they need to find some MUCH better receiving options and get some OL depth. They need

to make better use of Spiller and keep using Fred Jackson. UNFORTUNATELY, they HAVE to find at least 2 pass rushers, too.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't for a second believe that Fitz is mailing it in because he got paid. The guy is smart and a strong competitor. His struggles are (IMHO)

a combination of the following:

1. OL troubles due to injuries - the OL has actually held up better than I would have expected for losing their best player and leader in

Wood, and losing both their 1st AND second string LTs. I don't know if you can over-emphasize how much Wood getting hurt has hindered

this offense. Besides the drop-off in talent, they now have an OG trying to play C and who is making the OL calls now?

2. Stevie Johnson is injured and is a marginal #1/good #2 WR when healthy. David Nelson is a nice #3WR. There is no dominant #1 WR - or

if you count Johnson as that, then there is no good #2 WR.

3. Scott Campbell was WAY better than the weak excuses for NFL players that the Bills have trotted out at TE in the past several years, but

he is hurt and even when healthy is still a bottom-half (maybe bottom third) of the league starting TE. There is absolutely NO depth at

TE, on top of that.

4. Fitzpatrick is smart and tough, but is very marginally (physically) talented to be a starting QB. He MUST excel with his intellect and leadership

and be surrounded by some MUCH better receiving talent and a better OL and running game.

IF the Bills insist on staying with Fitz next year, they need to find some MUCH better receiving options and get some OL depth. They need

to make better use of Spiller and keep using Fred Jackson. UNFORTUNATELY, they HAVE to find at least 2 pass rushers, too.

I don't think Fitz is mailing it in either, that's just a running joke.

I like Fitz, and it pains me to see him play so poorly. I think your summary is very good. Earlier in the year I thought that some pass rushers were primary concerns, and then depth at WR and O-line were secondary priorities. At this point, it seems as though all of these positions are primary concerns.

Funny....... A 1st rd pick finally starts getting legitimate chances and good things happen. Some will still say he is a bust. I don't get it. Players take time to develop and learn. Today was just another step in the right direction.

There are very few positives I can find in this huge losing streak that the Bills are on. One positive though is the play of CJ Spiller. He has shown some flashes of greatness in the last few week weeks despite only being used for part of the game. I think that Spiller can be an exciting player and needs to be utilized and given chances to succeed. Under Chan's offense, he really isn't given that many opportunities - yet he is making the most of them.

If he's that good, why does he only get 12 carries a game? . . . Each game just further cements what a waste of a pick it was. Not that he's awful, but he certainly never was, and will never be, worthy of a 9th pick over-all. That is the point Frank, just accept it.

But, to his credit, he did the most with what he was given, and also did well catching the ball.

If he's that good, why does he only get 12 carries a game? . . . Each game just further cements what a waste of a pick it was. Not that he's awful, but he certainly never was, and will never be, worthy of a 9th pick over-all. That is the point Frank, just accept it.

But, to his credit, he did the most with what he was given, and also did well catching the ball.

The question is -- WHY don't they give him more than 12 carries a game? Chan has said it's because they've been down and had to throw to get a lead.

Flashes of greatness? He had a good game but let's not get carried away. Reggie Bush ran for 200+ on the same field today.

I don't think many people have called him a bust. I do recall a lot of people saying he was a bad draft pick. Two years later on a team with no pass rush, no linebackers, one NFL caliber WR on the roster, a questionable QB, and they spent a #9 overall pick on a backup RB. Even if he develops into a starter at some point, he was not what this team needed at the time. So IMO the 'I told you so' threads every time Spiller plays a halfway decent game are frankly a little silly.

Ive been critical of CJ and the pick they used on him from day one. But, today he proved that he has been working on his game alot more and has made the best from his opportunities the last few weeks. I wouldnt call him an everydown back because he isnt bulky enough. But I feel he is getting comfortable in this league and despite the 7 game slump, Im excited to see CJ Spiller! Hopefully more to follow. Thx CJ for being the only brightspot at the Ralph.

And Chan only gives him 6 more carries the rest of the game....that's just horrible coaching

I have been saying it all year that he is obsessed with the pass

The bills should be a run first control the clock team especially with this awful defense

Think about how much worse this could be without the comebacks vs the raiders and patriots which by the way they were able to do by running more

Fitz is just not an NFL starter, was fun while it lasted but it's clear he can't play in anything other then perfect weather

Fitz and Gailey need to go.

Flashes of greatness? He had a good game but let's not get carried away. Reggie Bush ran for 200+ on the same field today.

I don't think many people have called him a bust. I do recall a lot of people saying he was a bad draft pick. Two years later on a team with no pass rush, no linebackers, one NFL caliber WR on the roster, a questionable QB, and they spent a #9 overall pick on a backup RB. Even if he develops into a starter at some point, he was not what this team needed at the time. So IMO the 'I told you so' threads every time Spiller plays a halfway decent game are frankly a little silly.

I just think they can get more out of CJ than they have been getting.

I agree with you 100%. What seems silly to me is the draft philosophy of "Best Player Available." Apparently somebody thought Spiller was BPA. Does that mean the Bills will draft Trent Richardson if he is BPA? :wallbash:

Because the coaching staff is a bunch of Douchebags who don't give enough opportunities to people. (See Aaron Maybin and what he is doing this year)

If this isn't a joke I seriously think you have a mental illness...he had 12 carries for 91 yards (7.6 ypc) against a team with a very strong front 7...and now he has 5 yards per carry on the season, while having the bulk of his carries behind a joke of an offensive line.

He's performed very well when given the opportunity, without qualification. I suggest you just accept it.

If this isn't a joke I seriously think you have a mental illness...he had 12 carries for 91 yards (7.6 ypc) against a team with a very strong front 7...and now he has 5 yards per carry on the season, while having the bulk of his carries behind a joke of an offensive line.

He's performed very well when given the opportunity, without qualification. I suggest you just accept it.

To add to what you're saying, the Miami defense was allowing just 89.9 rushing yards per game this season.

But Spiller hasn't proven anything yet and the O-line sucks.

1) reggie bush had twice as many carries, on a per carry basis the two are not far off...

2) Reggie bush ran against our joke of a front 7, while spiller ran against a more than respectable dolphins run D.

3) 160 yard of offense and 2 TDs are more than a "halfway decent game"...in fact, its something that your boyfriend Fred Jackson has only done once in his career. (week 10 of 2010 against the lions)

It was a damn fine performance worthy of a first round pick.

CJ had almost 170 yards of offense by himself and two touchdowns. And this was on 12 carries, and 9 receptions. What do you expect him to do?

This isn't "I told you so." It's to counter all the people on here who insist he's a bust.

Chan has been known for knowing how to use guys. However, I have not been happy with how he has utilized Spiller. I think we can definitely get a good amount of value out of Spiller if he is used right. HE IS NOT A SHORT YARDAGE BACK. DO NOT PUT HIM IN ON THIRD AND SHORT! He is a 10-15 carry per game back, with a few receptions/screens. I know a #9 pick is a heavy price to pay for that but that is what he is. Do not use him for what he is not. He can be explosive and effective if he is used properly. Chan, only put him in positions to succeed!

He's a definite weapon and a good player. Too bad chan doesn't want to give him the dam ball....I don't wanna see tashard choice get more than 5 touches the next 2 games. Feed Cj the ball and let him get more experience. The more I think about, fire chan. As good as he was early on, his inability to stick with the run is detrimental.