He's not a traitor, he's just gay

/dev/null

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20111218/D9RMJI680.html

:huh:

As somebody that's not into the whole Imperial America with a ton of secrets and not opposed to phags and deyekes spending their lives together, I gotta say this is one of the most retarded (am I allowed to use that word as a non-member of The People's Party?) defenses ever

:blink:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20111218/D9RMJI680.html

:huh:

As somebody that's not into the whole Imperial America with a ton of secrets and not opposed to phags and deyekes spending their lives together, I gotta say this is one of the most retarded (am I allowed to use that word as a non-member of The People's Party?) defenses ever

:blink:

No one forced him to join the military. Dude deserves life in prison.

Brilliant defense strategy. Guarantees him (her - if the gender-identification quandary thing gets resolved during the trials) a huge cadre sympathetic to his/her victimhood that will loudly and stridently advocate for the release of this latest leftist martyr.

Geeze, the only thing this "I'm gay and shouldn't have been given a security clearance" defense is going to do is get him executed. His mind certainly was working well enough to sneak out the material and distribute it to Wikileaks.

I suspect the defense attorney is screwing with the prosecutors - trying to get them to focus their case on the issues of Manning being gay and that he shouldn't have been given a security clearance in the first place, rather than his actual actions - with this line of defense.

He'll have a far better chance of surviving his trial by attacking the hacker who claims he confessed to, as well as attacking the documents and videos as not classified.

But it's not just "I'm gay"...it's "I'm gay, and was in an environment that persecuted me, leaving me confused and frustrated, so I never should have been given a clearance."

That's brilliant. Puts all the responsibility back on the armed forces ("It wasn't me, your bad policy made me do it"), and allows the "The military's still persecuting me because I'm gay!" play on sympathies - in an election year, with an administration that thinks they need to court the gay community's vote (like they'd vote any other way).

Julius Rosenberg smoked more meat than hickory farms. Look how that worked out for him.

I didn't say it would work, just that it was brilliant.

Different times, anyway. Rosenberg's prosecutors didn't have a gay rights lobby to deal with.

Link

This Frontline reporter intimates that Manning's lawyer is arguing that an actual harm has to be proved by the government --- that the leaked information was used by a terrorist. I wasn't under the impression that this was a requirement....

Maybe for a handful of the charges (e.g. "aiding the enemy" - since he leaked to Wikileaks, "aiding the enemy" is an extremely specious charge). Not for the majority of them.

what a joke!!!!

Trying to trump for gay rights, and then use it as a defense in this trial?? Sort of a "I'm gay, so don't hold me responsible for my actions" defense???

Read my first post. It's more like "I'm gay and the Army's policies persecuted me, so don't hold me responsible for my actions!" That's the difference between the gay rights groups saying "You're an idiot," and "You're a victim just like us." Which is the difference between a court martial and a political circus in an election year.

I have a gay business associate who told me:

"There's no way in hell we are going to support this. Where's the upside for us?"

I imagine that just like any group, gay people have their idiots and smart people. It will be interesting to see if the idiots prevail, but I am betting we won't see any parades any time soon. I mean, my buddy is right: this is a bag of douche for them, and what purpose is served by them carrying it around?

I have a gay business associate who told me:

"There's no way in hell we are going to support this. Where's the upside for us?"

I imagine that just like any group, gay people have their idiots and smart people. It will be interesting to see if the idiots prevail, but I am betting we won't see any parades any time soon. I mean, my buddy is right: this is a bag of douche for them, and what purpose is served by them carrying it around?

Someone out there is going to make this a gay rights issue based on the Pentagon's oppression of gays, rather than Manning's general !@#$tarded asshattery.

Ten thousand dollars says that someone is an op-ed writer for the San Francisco Chronicle.

Someone out there is going to make this a gay rights issue based on the Pentagon's oppression of gays, rather than Manning's general !@#$tarded asshattery.

Ten thousand dollars says that someone is an op-ed writer for the San Francisco Chronicle.

You elitist you. $10,000? Are you really Mitt?