Bills/Dophins blackout ...

merlin

Interesting article about the Bills-Dolphins local TV blackout ...

Bills-Dolphins local blackout an OUTRAGE

He's right- "outrage" might be a little strong, but to require a sellout to view a game locally is petty, at best. There should be a threshold- maybe 85-90% of tickets sold to ensure local viewing. Or maybe no threshold- televise every game. After all, it's all about advertising dollars, and more people would be exposed to the ads. Win-win, right? Not likely.The NFL wants to sell you the sunday pass, or a season ticket. After all the blather during the lockout about taking care of the fans, it really comes down to the NFL squeezing every dollar out of the fan. I guess thats OK: they're a business, and the goal of any business is to make money. Just don't pretend it's all about the fans, Roger- go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all full here!

He's right- "outrage" might be a little strong, but to require a sellout to view a game locally is petty, at best. There should be a threshold- maybe 85-90% of tickets sold to ensure local viewing. Or maybe no threshold- televise every game. After all, it's all about advertising dollars, and more people would be exposed to the ads. Win-win, right? Not likely.The NFL wants to sell you the sunday pass, or a season ticket. After all the blather during the lockout about taking care of the fans, it really comes down to the NFL squeezing every dollar out of the fan. I guess thats OK: they're a business, and the goal of any business is to make money. Just don't pretend it's all about the fans, Roger- go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all full here!

You have never really believed this, have you? It's just like when players say it's not about the money.

As much as I want to agree with this, only way they are going to get enough(and I mean enough by their standards) advertising money out of it is when they change the jerseys from this:

post-12191-015300300 1324218572_thumb.jpg

And then market them like this:

post-12191-025706300 1324218598_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Wiz

I think a 90% capacity is reasonable.

I know Bills fans like to think of Toronto as part of the Buffalo market when discussing Buffalo's market size as it pertains to possible relocation, but having the games blacked out in Toronto doesn't make a ton of sense. Toronto is 100 miles from Buffalo certainly outside the 75 mile radius and there is a matter that it is in a different country. Maybe they think we can take a boat across lake Ontario thereby putting Toronto within the 75 mile limit.

Anyway, the new TV deal means that the actual attendance of these games is more important for TV optics than for than it is for its contribution to the bottom line.

cities like chicago also get ridiculous amounts of money from their huge corporate base for their luxury boxes that are literally a hundred plus times what the bills can get here

face it, the bills need the stadium full, which chicago could play in front of empty seats as long as their boxes were full

as long as thats the case, which is likely forever, non-sellouts will be blacked out in our large stadium

Interesting article about the Bills-Dolphins local TV blackout ...

Bills-Dolphins local blackout an OUTRAGE

It is tough to argue against the logic presented in this article, however this remains true. PUT A WINNING TEAM ON THE FIELD AND THE FANS WILL COME!

The number of tickets sold is one factor, the number of people that actually show up is another. As a Season Ticket holder, this I know is true. I will not be at the game today. I tried to sell my tickets, no takers, I even tried to give them away, no takers.

Bills fans have shown that if the team puts a winning product on the field they will support this team. Until that occurrs get used to the TV blackouts.

I think a 90% capacity is reasonable.

I know Bills fans like to think of Toronto as part of the Buffalo market when discussing Buffalo's market size as it pertains to possible relocation, but having the games blacked out in Toronto doesn't make a ton of sense. Toronto is 100 miles from Buffalo certainly outside the 75 mile radius and there is a matter that it is in a different country. Maybe they think we can take a boat across lake Ontario thereby putting Toronto within the 75 mile limit.

Anyway, the new TV deal means that the actual attendance of these games is more important for TV optics than for than it is for its contribution to the bottom line.

Syracuse is 150 miles from Buffalo and they get blacked out. Oh boy, the Bengals game! If that management understudy guy wants to increase the marketing power of the Bills, he should find out what it takes to determine the coverage of TV stations in neighboring markets and see if the blackout zones can be redefined.

Edited by Gray Beard

I give Ralphie plenty of money from property taxes I pay to add to the corporate welfare he gets from the morons running Erie County.

I hate to think how much I personally paid towards this outrage, over the last 22 years I've owned my home. I don't recall EVER hearing a "Thank You" for my forced and totally unwilling support of this mess of a team. Never got a pair of tickets in the mail, never got even as much as a bumper sticker from the team.

Personally - Ralph, you can take this pigsty of a team outta here tomorrow! Just freakin' go away.

As much as I want to agree with this, only way they are going to get enough(and I mean enough by their standards) advertising money out of it is when they change the jerseys from this:

post-12191-015300300 1324218572_thumb.jpg

And then market them like this:

post-12191-025706300 1324218598_thumb.jpg

It will happen at some point; it is inevitable. Likely in the NHL/NBA first, then the NFL. And about a decade after the NFL does it, MLB eventually will cave, just as it did with ads on the walls.

I give Ralphie plenty of money from property taxes I pay to add to the corporate welfare he gets from the morons running Erie County.

I hate to think how much I personally paid towards this outrage, over the last 22 years I've owned my home. I don't recall EVER hearing a "Thank You" for my forced and totally unwilling support of this mess of a team. Never got a pair of tickets in the mail, never got even as much as a bumper sticker from the team.

Personally - Ralph, you can take this pigsty of a team outta here tomorrow! Just freakin' go away.

I have to pay school taxes for schools I have never and will never use.