RIP Christopher Hitchens

LeviF

Writer Christopher Hitchens died Thursday at age 62 from complications of esophageal cancer.

Nice article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/christopher-hitchens/graydon-201112

I'll always fondly remember him flipping off Maher's morons, and telling Anderson Cooper of the lovely light given off by his "burning the candle at both ends."

Writer Christopher Hitchens died Thursday at age 62 from complications of esophageal cancer.

Nice article here: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/christopher-hitchens/graydon-201112

I'll always fondly remember him flipping off Maher's morons, and telling Anderson Cooper of the lovely light given off by his "burning the candle at both ends."

RIP...a conservative anyone could respect. Not one of the loons... :beer:

I know you love that clip of him flipping off the audience on "Real Time", but it never stopped him from doing the show.

Edited by Buftex

I'm very sad at this news. I hadn't realized he was dying of esophageal cancer.

He had a great mind, sharp wit, and a penchant for laying low his adversaries with a cutting description.

Coincidentally, I just bought his book on Thomas Paine last weekend.

He was my favorite athiest.

May Gosh rest his soul.

RIP...a conservative anyone could respect. Not one of the loons... :beer:

I know you love that clip of him flipping off the audience on "Real Time", but it never stopped him from doing the show.

He didn't start out that way. Not at all.

Edited by Nanker

I'm very sad at this news. I hadn't realized he was dying of esophageal cancer.

He had a great mind, sharp wit, and a penchant for laying low his adversaries with a cutting description.

Coincidentally, I just bought his book on Thomas Paine last weekend.

He was my favorite athiest.

May Gosh rest his soul.

He didn't start out that way. Not at all.

Yeah, I know...part of what I liked so much about him is that he valued intellect and logic over scoring partisan points. In recent years he had become more politically conservative, but not blindly so.

Of course not, he loved taking digs at Maher whenever he could :D

So who's burning the candle at both ends with me tonight in memoriam? :beer:

They had a lot more in common, than not.

They were both dicks, sure. But the difference was that Hitchens was funny, witty, and intelligent. Maher's a tryhard imbecile.

I'll remember Hitch as the writer of "Why Women Aren't Funny" and as ripper of Sean Hannity.

When Maher dies, I'll remember him as star of "Religulous" (abysmal) and as a ****ty comedian.

See the difference? :D

They were both dicks, sure. But the difference was that Hitchens was funny, witty, and intelligent. Maher's a tryhard imbecile.

I'll remember Hitch as the writer of "Why Women Aren't Funny" and as ripper of Sean Hannity.

When Maher dies, I'll remember him as star of "Religulous" (abysmal) and as a ****ty comedian.

Sounds like somebody is falling for the "he has a British accent, so he is smart" thing! :lol:

Just kidding of course...I think Maher is pretty funny most of the time (not all)...Hitchens was a great guest over the years. I honestly didn't know he was sick...but I had wondered why he hadn't been on in a while.

Totally agree with this. I have to go find that clip again - that was great.....Maher is the least funny comedian I have ever seen. Then when I say something like that people tell me he's not a comedian - he's a social commentator or something.....Then, he makes that totally classless joke about Elizabeth Hasselbeck and she calls him out on it last month, and he and his followers say he's protected from that because he's a comedian. Well, which is he - either way he's not funny!

Sounds like somebody is falling for the "he has a British accent, so he is smart" thing! :lol:

Just kidding of course...I think Maher is pretty funny most of the time (not all)...Hitchens was a great guest over the years. I honestly didn't know he was sick...but I had wondered why he hadn't been on in a while.

:P

The bolded, I suppose, is where we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm with bbb on Maher.

I remember reading that. As much as I admire Hitch, that article was a complete crock of **** in my opinion.

Admired his independent thought,literacy,and toughness- although at times his 'logic'

escaped me.

The belief in atheism has always struck me as having a pinch of pride and a dash of irrationality

at its core.

I love Maher's wit but don't admire his unearned affect of intellectual superiority.Thats what you get when you mix a smart funny guy with a poor education.

Totally agree with this. I have to go find that clip again - that was great.....Maher is the least funny comedian I have ever seen. Then when I say something like that people tell me he's not a comedian - he's a social commentator or something.....Then, he makes that totally classless joke about Elizabeth Hasselbeck and she calls him out on it last month, and he and his followers say he's protected from that because he's a comedian. Well, which is he - either way he's not funny!

Yeah, I agree on some levels. I don't think Maher is funny when he does stand-up type stuff. His joke/puch-line stuff is nothing special. But, I do think he is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. And, he can be damn funny at times...where he is funny is in discussion, point counter-point stuff. He makes me laugh, a lot...

As for his "classless" Elizabeth Hasselbeck joke, it was no different than anything any late-nite comedian hasn't said about random female celebrities. Is it classless to call Rosie O'Donnell a "fat pig" for laughs? It's done all the time, nobody gets their panties in a wad over it. There was a time when Oprah was the punch-line to every fat joke in the book. Hasselbeck just carried on like the shrill, talentless, !@#$ that she is (even though Maher apologized to her on his show, friggin months ago, after she went on some diatribe about it in February, when it happened!) because she loved the attention.

I have never thought of myself as a Bill Maher "follower", though I never miss his show. I like it because it offers people lik Chris Htichens a forum to say what they mean, as ugly, or as off, as it may be sometimes. Ann Coulter can come on, say whatever crazy stuff she wants, she isn't going to be censored. I don't always agree with him, and don't always agree with his guests, but I think it is one of the few topical shows on tv that is honest, and there is something about free thought that can be very funny.

Edited by Buftex

Admired his independent thought,literacy,and toughness- although at times his 'logic'

escaped me.

The belief in atheism has always struck me as having a pinch of pride and a dash of irrationality

at its core.

I love Maher's wit but don't admire his unearned affect of intellectual superiority.Thats what you get when you mix a smart funny guy with a poor education.

It might be the other way around: smart, educated guy, with not the best sense of humour. Go over to the PPP wing, and you will see this on display all the time. Maybe it means nothing to you, but Maher is a Cornell grad.

Yeah, I agree on some levels. I don't think Maher is funny when he does stand-up type stuff. His joke/puch-line stuff is nothing special. But, I do think he is much smarter than many of you give him credit for. And, he can be damn funny at times...where he is funny is in discussion, point counter-point stuff. He makes me laugh, a lot...

As for his "classless" Elizabeth Hasselbeck joke, it was no different than anything any late-nite comedian hasn't said about random female celebrities. Is it classless to call Rosie O'Donnell a "fat pig" for laughs? It's done all the time, nobody gets their panties in a wad over it. There was a time when Oprah was the punch-line to every fat joke in the book. Hasselbeck just carried on like the shrill, talentless, !@#$ that she is (even though Maher apologized to her on his show, friggin months ago, after she went on some diatribe about it in February, when it happened!) because she loved the attention.

I have never thought of myself as a Bill Maher "follower", though I never miss his show. I like it because it offers people lik Chris Htichens a forum to say what they mean, as ugly, or as off, as it may be sometimes. Ann Coulter can come on, say whatever crazy stuff she wants, she isn't going to be censored. I don't always agree with him, and don't always agree with his guests, but I think it is one of the few topical shows on tv that is honest, and there is something about free thought that can be very funny.

I'm not sure anybody called Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig, but I guess it's been implied, so you're saying that's the same as implying that Hasselbeck should be sent over to Egypt to be gang-raped?