Gotta Love The Unions And The Supervisors

3rdnlng

So I can see my house from Space on my phone, there are Apps that instantly compare prices all over competing retail locations when I scan the bar code, but we have human beings sitting in a little compartment collecting money by hand for tolls?

What's fair to do that job, 15-20/hr? Considering your will likely get Lung Cancer from doing it.... even that wage is generous.

Unions get a bad name because they get greedy and are unwilling to be flexible... just ask GM.

So I can see my house from Space on my phone, there are Apps that instantly compare prices all over competing retail locations when I scan the bar code, but we have human beings sitting in a little compartment collecting money by hand for tolls?

In Jersey. Same state where it's illegal to pump your own gas, because it's a hazardous material...

What's fair to do that job, 15-20/hr? Considering your will likely get Lung Cancer from doing it.... even that wage is generous.

Unions get a bad name because they get greedy and are unwilling to be flexible... just ask GM.

Back a dozen or so years ago my city government was still doing payroll by hand. The mayor proposed computerizing it to save money. A many term city councilman stated at the meeting "but wouldn't that cut jobs"? Some of these politicians just don't get it. They are tied into the unions and the old way of doing things. Government doesn't produce income, it spends it. The less money going to the government the more money made in the private sector.

The illegals are afraid to apply for EZ-Pass.

In Jersey. Same state where it's illegal to pump your own gas, because it's a hazardous material...

I ran into that in Oregon recently. Pulled in to fill my rental car, woman came out to start pumping and I genuinely thought it was a homeless person trying to earn a buck. She informed me that if a person is ever seen pumping their own gas, the attendant on duty could get arrested. I'm not sure how true that is, but the fact that it doesn't surprise me is telling enough.

The illegals are afraid to apply for EZ-Pass.

The real issue is that most service jobs, and a lot of jobs in general, have become redundant with advances in technology. It's better to keep people employed than doing nothing, but the fact is that we have a lot of redundant employment.

I heard the reason that NJ has only full service stations because too many idiots would leave with the nozzles still in their gas tanks. Could have been an urban legend, but it makes sense.

Wife and I were on a road trip and pulled into a rest stop in Ohio. I was cleaning the car windows while fueling. At the pump in front of us, a guy was in a heated discussion/argument with some woman. He got pissed off and drove off -- with the nozzle still in the tank. It flew out of the tank and smashed down on our car - missing my head by about a foot. Left a nasty dent on the car. Glad it wasn't my head or I probably wouldn't be writing this. :ph34r:

The real issue is that most service jobs, and a lot of jobs in general, have become redundant with advances in technology. It's better to keep people employed than doing nothing, but the fact is that we have a lot of redundant employment.

No, it's not.

The problem is that all the politicians think like you.

No, it's not.

It's not as simple as that. I think the biggest problem is the "hard landings" of transitioning economies. The "Education" system is so broken that it can't adapt as necessary so we end up where we are.

There's no way an unskilled person who sits in a booth all day taking money should make much above minimum wage, much less enjoy a paycheck double that of a "professional" occupation like a nurse or teacher. That's absolutely ridiculous.

It's not as simple as that. I think the biggest problem is the "hard landings" of transitioning economies. The "Education" system is so broken that it can't adapt as necessary so we end up where we are.

There's no way an unskilled person who sits in a booth all day taking money should make much above minimum wage, much less enjoy a paycheck double that of a "professional" occupation like a nurse or teacher. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Of course, fixing that disparity is exactly how people justify unions.

crazy- thought I have seen some real buttplugs spill gas all over their car and the ground.... if they had only been smoking and dropped that cig.....

No, that is mean

No, it's not.

I'm not saying that I believe we should have so many public employees. My point is more that having high unemployment can mean social unrest and increase in drug use, violence, etc. People need to be occupied.

I'm not saying that I believe we should have so many public employees. My point is more that having high unemployment can mean social unrest and increase in drug use, violence, etc. People need to be occupied.

That's why we have major league sports. Bread and circuses.

I hear you. I'm not saying we should dump an extra 10 million useless government employees into the street overnight either. But we need to start figuring it out and right now we are still moving in the wrong direction.

We can't build a growing economy by continuing to expand the rolls of $100,000 tollbooth collectors and ex-train conductors with $250,000/year disability retirements.