New Kick-Off Rule Proposed Change

Cookiemonster

My thinking on the new kick-off rule, is that maybe the NFL didn't really think this

through correctly. I don't think that they meant to take that much excitement out of the game.

I think in their haste to eliminate head injuries and the like, they went overboard.

With that in mind, I think that they could bring back some of the excitement by just tweeking

it some. I would propose letting the kicker kick off from the same yard line as this year,

but I would have the kick coverage team lined up 5 yards back. It should increase the amount

of kicks being returned, and bring some of the excitement back, it would still result in a

lot of touchbacks, keep the no-wedge rule,etc for player safety. I just don't think that

they planned on seeing hardly any kicks returned. Thoughts?

Edited by Cookiemonster

I think they knew exactly what kind of impact it would have, and I'd be surprised if they had any intentions of tweaking the rule if it were to create more opportunities for returns.

I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it. But the NFL really doesn't care.

I think they knew exactly what kind of impact it would have, and I'd be surprised if they had any intentions of tweaking the rule if it were to create more opportunities for returns.

I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it. But the NFL really doesn't care.

I think they knew that it would reduce the amount of returns, but I don't think that they

counted on them being almost totally eliminated. I would bet that there is at least some discussion

regarding it when the rules committe gets together again.

I think they knew that it would reduce the amount of returns, but I don't think that they

counted on them being almost totally eliminated. I would bet that there is at least some discussion

regarding it when the rules committe gets together again.

Through five weeks, touchbacks were at 51.4 percent league-wide, so they haven't been totally eliminated.

Also, the NFL would point to an increase in average kickoff return yardage and scoring in its attempt to justify the new rule.

How about they kick off from the 33?

If they don't want guys hurt on KOs, how about just give the receiving team the ball on the 35? Would spark more offense and scoring too. A win win.

I think that would just lure teams to kick shorter, and in turn lead to more returns. Again, something the league is trying to stay away from.

My thinking on the new kick-off rule, is that maybe the NFL didn't really think this

through correctly. I don't think that they meant to take that much excitement out of the game.

I think in their haste to eliminate head injuries and the like, they went overboard.

With that in mind, I think that they could bring back some of the excitement by just tweeking

it some. I would propose letting the kicker kick off from the same yard line as this year,

but I would have the kick coverage team lined up 5 yards back. It should increase the amount

of kicks being returned, and bring some of the excitement back, it would still result in a

lot of touchbacks, keep the no-wedge rule,etc for player safety. I just don't think that

That change would screw up on-side kicks wouldn't it?

That change would screw up on-side kicks wouldn't it?

He would only have to kick it only 5 yards for it to be recoverable by the kicking team.

When was the last time that you saw a kicker recover his own onside kick anyway.

Point well taken, I didn't think about that, just have it so he isn't allowed to make

the recovery.

They already do that.

With this year's rule change they also limited the coverage team to starting within 5 yards of the KO. In the past they could get deeper which according to the league led to more violent collisions.

How about putting touchbacks at the 25 or 30 yard line? That would even out the kickoff team's current built in advantage so if they wanted to pin them deep they'd have to work for it.

That is the best thought so far...This would likely force teams to kick to the goal line and try to make a tackle.

I've been surprised that there haven't been more onside kicks with the new rules.

Much more risky now, you take your chances on getting a TB or a return to no more than the 20,

as opposed to having the opponent start at midfiled if you do not recover. The chances of

an opponent getting a return to their own 40 or beyond are exteremly reduced now, so why

take the chance on an on-side kick? If anything, I would say that it has caused a reduction

in the number of them.

They already do that.

With this year's rule change they also limited the coverage team to starting within 5 yards of the KO. In the past they could get deeper which according to the league led to more violent collisions.

That's right Beerball. Few, if any, of the guys moaning about the "new" spot for kickoffis understand it's not new at all. Teams are now kciking off from exactly the same spot they did from '78 to '93--and they eliminated the long runup, so it should be easier to return kicks than in the Bills glory days in the early 90's.

The Bills have only returned 28 kickoffs so far this year, compared to 69 for all of last year, yet the avg return is about the same, despite the new rule. Also, Bills rank dead last in punts returned. All of this despite drafting heavily in what were essentailly glorified return men over the past several years (Roscoe, MeKelvin, Spiller). What is Gailey doing with Special Teams? He has as little interest in this aspect of his team as he does in the defense, apparently.

Edited by Mr. WEO