Aaron Maybin - 9th ranked in the NFL at applying pressure to the QB

This is myth passed on from the time when he played with the Bills. In a Jets uniform you see him in 1st, 2nd and 3rd down situations.

Yeah.....except you don't. I'm watching the Jets game right now. No Maybin until 3d and 10 on 2 consecutive series. So far no stats.

I think it shows how incompetent our coaches are and have been for the past several years and further exemplifies why George Edwards should be gone.

Bills couldn't figure out how to use him and Rex Ryan and the Jets did and it really pisses me off.

The Maybin fiasco is emblematic of an incompetent, disfunctional organization, from top to bottom. Obviously, he never should have been drafted where he was, especially with so many high impact players at the same position taken after him. And after he was chosen he was not utilized properly by a coaching staff that never really gave him a chance on the playing field. One can argue about why he failed to make an impact with the Bills, but it's not arguable that he has been almost immediately successful with a different team, at a position of great need for the Bills. Incompetence, top to bottom.

I'm sure you, just like everyone else, was ragging on the guy for being a bust.

Damn, we need a top ten pass rusher! Why can't we find guys like these? :wallbash:

Maybin gets to the quartback applying pressure every 6.45 snaps. That is 9th best in the league. I actually like this stat better than total number of sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/n...coaching-intern

Damn, we need a top ten pass rusher! Why can't we find guys like these? :wallbash:

Maybin gets to the quartback applying pressure every 6.45 snaps. That is 9th best in the league. I actually like this stat better than total number of sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/n...coaching-intern

I think the Maybin horse has been beaten to death. Persistence

What is worth asking, is what were we expecting of Maybin that not only kept him from seeing the field, it made him a healthy scratch? And are these expectations that may be keeping some of our other high draft picks from seeing the field and contributing as we expect, and even hindering our overall development?

One of the Jets D coaches was quoted as saying "he's got a wristband, I think it may help him (laughing) if he looks at it". They clearly put him in a situation that sets him up for success, because he is asked to do only what he is able to do.

My impression is that the Jets have kept it very simple for Maybin. They have their overload blitzes. They put him in and say "sic' em!"

My impression is that the Bills expected Maybin to master not just a standard LB role on a 4-3 or a 3-4, but a very complex hybrid defense that had vets like Stroud punching Gatorade coolers and yelling "does anyone know what we're supposed to do?" When he didn't know his stuff, he stayed on the sidelines or "scratched".

Now every coach's favorite player is the Whole Enchilada - the physical Monster who is also a student of the game and master of his aspect.

But to win, you need to use the players you have to best effect. If they aren't the Whole Enchilada, just the hot sauce - use them as such.

I see Spiller as another player whose development in Buffalo is being hindered by Enchilada Quest. Gailey is insisting that he master all aspects of the game - pass protection, etcetera. And perhaps it is paying off, slowly. I wonder, though, if Spiller would already be a more successful player (and perhaps the over-used Freddy still healthy) if Chan would be a bit more flexible in how he were used. Keep McIntyre or a 2nd tight end in there to block. Use 2 back sets with both Spiller and Freddie. Lose the love affair with the 4 WR set and the single back, or the 5 WR set and the empty backfield.

I really don't want to run after something that's gone, I do think it's worth asking if it reveals a mistaken (or at least less productive than it could be) mindset in player development..

Terrible pick at #11 with Orakpo and Matthews on the board. We all know that. That doesn't matter the day after the draft.

Overpaid player because of his draft position. That you can change by releasing him, and he isn't overpaid by the Jets.

I don't think has any ability to be a 3-4 linebacker, and that was a big issue. He is a undersized specialty 4-3 end. Those are good to have when playing 4-3. We play 4-3 a lot and absent draft slot and contract he could be useful in that role.

I'm glad he is having some success and not out of the league. A little sad it is with the Jets and we will see him twice a year. But as PTR said, it wouldn't matter in Buffalo, because there is the pressure of past baggage, our d at the moment, etc. I don't think he would have worked. Maybe a piece Wanny could have used in our 2012 4-3, but oh well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824ec208/article/jets-de-maybin-finds-unlikely-bond-with-coaching-intern

Let it go already