1 2 Minnesota Matt Kalil OT USC P2 +0 Value

1 3 St Louis Morris Claiborne CB LSU P1 -3 Reach

1 4 Jacksonville Justin Blackmon WRF Oklahoma State P2 +1 Value

1 5 Washington Matt Barkley QB USC P1 +1 Value

1 6 Philadelphia Zach Brown OLB43 North Carolina P2 -4 Reach

1 7 Carolina Alshon Jeffery WRF South Carolina P2 -1 Reach

1 8 Cleveland Trent Richardson RBF Alabama P1 +3 Value

1 9 Buffalo ?

I used DraftTek's Simulator, moved us up to 9th, where I think we'll finish, and moved Miami down to our 13th spot in each round. Based on current positional needs, the simulator ran this draft for me. Your votes will help me adjust the Bills' positional needs on DraftTek.

Who would you draft first? Why?

Astro

Went with Kirkpatrick as there aren't many 6'2" corners in the league and he is rated higher than Upshaw and as we only choose the "BPA" so Dre's the pick.

The only reason Mike Adams is not a top 5 pick is because of the suspension.

The Bills haven't had a real LT in a long long long long time.

With a healthy Wood, Levitre, Urbik at RG, and Mike Adams at LT you know have 4 above average members of the O-Line. 3 top 40 picks invested in the O-Line, and Mike Adams has every indication to be a perennial pro Bowler, (along with Levitre {Hopefully that game at C doesn't hurt him so bad but Levitre should be in the Pro Bowl this year. He was a stud stalwart in every other game.})

If Mike Adams is there you have to take him. You can't even if second guess it or discuss it.

It has to be CJ Spiller style time on the clock.

Although if RG3 is there . . .

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000... on every point including RG3. Someone else said about Fitz' contract going forward in bringing RG3 along similar to Rodgers and having a QB battle in year 2 or 3 of his rookie contract. It works for me.

The two most needed areas are O line and pass rush IMO. Since as of right now there is no OLB rated lower then #19 Courtney Upshaw. Unless they want to go DE

The Bills really need to look at an OT with that first pick, and finally lock down an area that has been weak since trading away Jason Peters. After this year I'm hoping that Gailey realizes he can't get by with a sub par O line in the NFL. He needs linemen that can hold block for longer then 2-3 seconds

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

It's Upshaw. We need an OLB that can truly play the position. He has proven it all year playing for one helluva D in Alabama and he's not going to regress as he hits the NFL. Strong, fast, smart. No-brainer for me based on a simple assessment of the teams weaknesses.

The building blocks are QB, LT, OLB (not de in a 34)

We have "can get by with them" answers for all of those and shots at guys to "have to gameplan for" at just about any of them.

BPA and need shouldn't be that different here.

RG3, Adams or upshaw are the initial 3 I think of. Rg3 likely gone by 5-6.

Edited by NoSaint

Let me be a little optimistic. I say the Bills will select in the top 10 in this draft, but will be much improved and not pick so soon in the next draft. Therefore, if there is a QB among the top 10 picks with seemingly low risk, then take him now. Doesn't Fitz have a 3 year and $24M scenario in his contract? To me, that is the best way to play this. Pick RG3, let him work his way in slowly, then decide if he is the real deal, and decide whether or not to exercise Fitz's contract extension after the third year. Unless somebody thinks that there is an even better QB choice next year, in which case you get a LB (Upshaw?) with the first pick.

This is my sentiment on QB, but I was thinking Landry Jones.

RG3 would be a better option IMO.

Went with Kirkpatrick as there aren't many 6'2" corners in the league and he is rated higher than Upshaw and as we only choose the "BPA" so Dre's the pick.

I definietly like Kirkpatrick a lot.

You definietly take him over Upshaw all day.

But not over Adams or maybe RG3.

If Adams or RG3 are gone as much as it pains me to say. I wouldn't hat the Kirkpatrick pick. Aaron Williams and Kirkpatrick at the CB gives the chance of Maybinesque coverage sacks.

However this board would explode on Buddy nix and Bills' fans everywhere would lose it.

I agree that Adams is a strong offensive line talent. If our pass rush were better, or if we were better defending the run, he'd be one of my Top 3 picks looking for BPA.

I agree that OLB and pass rush is the top priority. However when have the Bills had a top LT prospect on the board when they picked?

I can't think of a time.

You can say "Blind Side" but if you pay attention to his carreer he hasn't been that homerun LT pick. Getting a bluechipper LTk Trumps all "needs" that is always BPA only trumped by a franchise QB.

The Offensive line has only given up 16 sacks and Fred Jackson was averaging over 5 yards a carry. Why Offensive line? The Bills only have 17 sinking sacks, 10 in one game, that's are priority people. Draft pass rushers early and often. RG3 doesn't rush the passer.

Edited by bisonbrigade

The Offensive line has only given up 16 sacks and Fred Jackson was averaging over 5 yards a carry. Why Offensive line? The Bills only have 17 sinking sacks, 10 in one game, that's are priority people. Draft pass rushers early and often. RG3 doesn't rush the passer.

A "bluechip" left tackle is not "offensives line"

It's one of the most important positions on the field.

I wouldn't be surprised if RGIII stayed another year and took a shot at back to back heismans. I feel like any qb coming in now would be thrown to the wolves and would much rather see a few more key pieces added to the puzzle before we go for a qb in a draft or two. I'd like to see a top 10 or better defense year after year to support the franchise qb.

This......all....day.....long.

I wouldn't be surprised if RGIII stayed another year and took a shot at back to back heismans. I feel like any qb coming in now would be thrown to the wolves and would much rather see a few more key pieces added to the puzzle before we go for a qb in a draft or two. I'd like to see a top 10 or better defense year after year to support the franchise qb.

Any QB drafted is going to sit behind Fitzin 2012

The Buffalo Bills have never in the Super Bowl era taken a QB with their first, first round pick; so you don't have to worry much.

This team, this franchise, this front office, the Buffalo Bills fans have been enamored with getting a top pass rusher since Aaron Schobel was injured. Clamoring year after year to draft one.So Jauron takes a gamble and drafts an undersized speed DE who only played one year in college and that huge gamble is now paying off for a hated enemy in the NY Jets!!. Now another problem since Schobels injury is this coaching staff is so inept that they couldn't get Maybin to realize his potential in Buffalo. So Buddy Nix himself decides to take a huge Jauron like gamble in bringing in an injury prone OLB, that gamble failed also.

Mean while the offense suffers... even Trent Edwards would have benefited from an upgraded O line. Fitzy is in dire need of a line that can protect him for more then 2-3 seconds so he has an actual option of throwing deeper passes like the rest of the QB's in the NFL. How long do you think Brady-Brees-Manning-Rodgers would last behind a line that only allowed short passes.

This team needs O line help as much if not more then a pass rusher, and given the fact that this regime doesn't have a clue on how to find a top OLB in the draft as they have shown that over the last 5 years. Perhaps if Von Miller had fallen in their laps things might be different.

However, this GM has shown he knows what to look for in O linemen, even picking up some off the waiver wire that helped somewhat. Plus he drafted a LT that might develop into a decent player. Drafting a OT might not be as sexy or as visually impact-full as a pass rusher but one could easily be a game changer the same way a top defensive player would be.

History has shown that this franchise only wins when they build a top O line, every regime seems to fail to understand this.(save Polian-levy /Chuck Knox/ Lou Saban) You would think a supposed offensive genius like Gailey would see that, he didn't. Instead he tried to setup a fast paced spread offense with a short throwing scheme. Opposing teams quickly figured out his offense and shut down his short game. With a bad line that can't protect the QB for 5-7 step drops on a consistent basis his offensive game plan went into the ceramic convenience. Lets hope he is smart enough to realize he needs to build that line, and drafts a top tackle with that #1 pick

65 AFL Champions-- LT Stew Barber-LG Billy Shaw- C Dave Behrman- RG Al Bemiller-RT Dick Hudson. (This O line= two, 2nd rounders, one first rounder)

1980 AFC East Champions (11-5) LT Ken Jones-LG Reggie McKenzie C Will Grant- RG Conrad Dobler- RT Joe Devlin ( this O line= three, 2nd rounders)

1990 AFC Champions LT Will Wilford-LG Jim Ritchter-C Kent Hull- RG John H Davis- RT Howard "house" Ballard ( this O line= 2 first rounders. Kent Hull came from the USFL great player and another steal by Bill Polian)

Looking back at what the Bills did in the past to build a winning team was to spend high draft picks on the O line, and find great players like C Kent Hull.