Enjoy Single Malt?

Beerball

i have really tried to learn to like good scotch, but I just cannot drink any of the liquors in the scotch/whisky/bourbon family....i can't get it past my lips at all....i've tried several times and have had scotch's that others claim to be top quality...my dad has tried to get me to drink jamesons....just cannot do it..... :huh:

link

I recently finished a bottle of Laphroaig. I'm not a big drinker but I do go through 1-2 bottles of single malt/year. Laphroaig is by far the 'peatiest' I've ever had. It took a little getting used to, but very enjoyable to me.

I second this. I love laphroig. Probably my favorite single malt whiskey. Real nice smokey taste and goes down fairly easy.

Yeah ok sure, Beerball

He just meant he is not a physically large drinker. Personally, I tend to prefer bourbon over scotch . However, setting that and price aside there is nothing better than Macallan 25 sherry oak.

Has anyone else noticed that the price of fine spirits including bourbon and scotch has skyrocketed? It makes even the Beerball "one or two bottle per year" drinker have to take pause before buying the premium stuff. I feel very lucky because I can afford it but I really do question if the value / price equation is worth it. Recently, I've leaned more in the direction of "no."

Has anyone else noticed that the price of fine spirits including bourbon and scotch has skyrocketed? It makes even the Beerball "one or two bottle per year" drinker have to take pause before buying the premium stuff. I feel very lucky because I can afford it but I really do question if the value / price equation is worth it. Recently, I've leaned more in the direction of "no."

I mostly drink the cheaper stuff because 1. that's what I can afford and 2. it supports my self-delusion that I like the harsher stuff because I'm, like, tough or something.

i have really tried to learn to like good scotch, but I just cannot drink any of the liquors in the scotch/whisky/bourbon family....i can't get it past my lips at all....i've tried several times and have had scotch's that others claim to be top quality...my dad has tried to get me to drink jamesons....just cannot do it..... :huh:

Give this a try. :thumbsup:

link

I recently finished a bottle of Laphroaig. I'm not a big drinker but I do go through 1-2 bottles of single malt/year. Laphroaig is by far the 'peatiest' I've ever had. It took a little getting used to, but very enjoyable to me.

I drink at most a bottle a year on my own, but when my brothers and I get together we'll usually go through half a bottle (used to be a full bottle) in a night.

Lagavulin and Glenmorangie are my two favorites.

Lagavulin 16 is the pinnacle for me. I also enjoy Talisker 12 yr. Laphroaig is a great drinking scotch: won't cost you an arm and a leg and tastes great, but not so great you feel you need to break it out only for the special occasions.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a bottle of 18 yr old Laphroaig tonight - supposed to be for sharing with Dad at Christmas - but I had to sample. I'm not crazy about it. Dad may be returning home with an expensive but opened bottle.

Beerball warned you, it takes some getting used to!

Edited by GOBILLS78

I purchased a bottle of 18 yr old Laphroaig tonight - supposed to be for sharing with Dad at Christmas - but I had to sample. I'm not crazy about it. Dad may be returning home with an expensive but opened bottle.

An extra birthday gift..huh?

I guess this means Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are safe for now.

Beerball warned you, it takes some getting used to!

Generally, I ignore the Sphere O'suds :lol:

What I thought was interesting was the nose on it was rather "medicinal." I was coming around to it as I continued sipping but it was not an immediate "I like this." I'm curious to see what good old Dad will think of it.

An extra birthday gift..huh?

I guess this means Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve are safe for now.

I also picked up a bottle of Blantons reserve. There is no doubt in my mind that it will be very good.

A few years ago it was my last night in Glasgow. I do my homework when I travel and ask locals where to go, what to see, etc. Well I met a girl and said it was my last night in Glasgow and I showed her a list of maybe 10 suggested bars I scrawled down during my research. She said "great list, I recommend this one, I used to work there". So I get to bar, and there is literally 1000 different bottles of scotch- and probably 15 taps of Belgium beer. I am limited in my scotch knowledge, but I was in heaven. Pretty bartender was smiling at me- then she is like "are you Peter the American? Natalie called and told me to take care you. What kind of scotch do you like?" "I don't know" "Peaty? Smokey? Smooth?" She proceeded to pour me as many different samples as I could drink in 5 hours. Scotland is awesome!

A few years ago it was my last night in Glasgow. I do my homework when I travel and ask locals where to go, what to see, etc. Well I met a girl and said it was my last night in Glasgow and I showed her a list of maybe 10 suggested bars I scrawled down during my research. She said "great list, I recommend this one, I used to work there". So I get to bar, and there is literally 1000 different bottles of scotch- and probably 15 taps of Belgium beer. I am limited in my scotch knowledge, but I was in heaven. Pretty bartender was smiling at me- then she is like "are you Peter the American? Natalie called and told me to take care you. What kind of scotch do you like?" "I don't know" "Peaty? Smokey? Smooth?" She proceeded to pour me as many different samples as I could drink in 5 hours. Scotland is awesome!

Good for you!! Hope you had a good time with the drink and the tender (wink wink).