Franchise-tag values will be down across the board in 2012

CBD

Little was made of it at the time, but the change in calculating procedures for franchise tags could have major implications on several contract negotiations, including those with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte.

The collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association includes a new formula for the franchise tag, and league sources have said those tags will be considerably lower this offseason than in years past.

Franchise-tag values for 2012 Figures for next season by position and players who could be impacted

Quarterback: $14.4 million (down from $16.1 million in 2011, $16.4 million in 2010); Drew Brees

Running back: $7.7 million (down from $9.6 million in 2011, $8.2 million in 2010); Matt Forte, Ray Rice

Wide receiver: $9.4 million (down from 11.4 million in 2011, $9.5 million in 2010); DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson*, Steve Johnson, Wes Welker

Tight end: $5.4 million (down from $7.3 million in 2011, $5.9 million in 2010); Fred Davis, Jermichael Finley

Offensive line: $9.4 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $10.7 million in 2010); Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks

Defensive end: $10.6 million (down from $13 million in 2011, $12.4 million in 2010); Jason Jones, Mario Williams*

Defensive tackle: $7.9 million (down from $12.5 million in 2011; it was $7 million in 2010); Paul Soliai*

Linebacker: $8.8 million (down from $10.1 million in 2011, $9.7 million in 2010); Stephen Tulloch

Cornerback: $10.6 million (down from $13.5 million in 2011; tag was $9.6 million in 2010); Cortland Finnegan, Brent Grimes

Safety: $6.2 million (down from $8.8 million in 2011, $6.5 million in 2010); LaRon Landry

* - Player who'd receive more money because it'd be his second year in a row on the franchise tag, meaning he'd make 120 percent of his 2011 salary

League sources have provided figures that will be extremely close to what those salary totals look like, by position, when teams being placing those tags on players in February.

In the past, a franchise tag was derived from averaging the top five salaries at a particular position from the previous season. The new formula is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.

The yearly cap itself now plays a bigger role -- the 2012 cap projects to be very close to the 2011 cap of roughly $120 million -- thus these tags will not go up much.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

With the change in the calculation the franchise tag for next year will be approx $9.4M. With many claiming Stevie is worth somewhere around $8M, is the extra $1.4M worth keeping his rights for another year, gain some leverage in negotiations, and allow them to work out a long term deal?

I also just thought this was a noteworthy league story.

Edited by Carey Bender

Excellent post, good info and take.

As to your question, I believe the Bills will still be able to slap him with the franchise tag in order to buy time to negotiate a new, long-term deal. This practice has been used for years and I haven't heard that it can no longer be done.

I think the Bills will do that… I also believe that the franchise tag can be rescinded from a player, making him a free agent if done within a certain time frame.

So I envision the application of the tag to buy time to negotiate a multi-year deal. In the meantime, the other free agent receivers will be working on new deals as well and the market will at least be partially developed by the time the Bills and Johnson make a decision.

The Bills rarely set the market… the tend to follow it.

I've said from the beginning that I thought the Bills will hit Stevie with the FT in the offseason and continue to try to iron out a long-term deal just to protect themselves from another team taking him away.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

With the change in the calculation the franchise tag for next year will be approx $9.4M. With many claiming Stevie is worth somewhere around $8M, is the extra $1.4M worth keeping his rights for another year, gain some leverage in negotiations, and allow them to work out a long term deal?

I also just thought this was a noteworthy league story.

CB, great information and good input by SJBF which followed, however, I am not sure I agree with the thinking.

Mainly, why would we think we have negotiating leverage? Oh sure, we tie him up for the year and hope that it is enough to bring him to the reasonable table on a long term deal, but they guy may pull in 80 balls this season...what if he pulls 90 next year with 10 plus TDs?

CB, great information and good input by SJBF which followed, however, I am not sure I agree with the thinking.

Mainly, why would we think we have negotiating leverage? Oh sure, we tie him up for the year and hope that it is enough to bring him to the reasonable table on a long term deal, but they guy may pull in 80 balls this season...what if he pulls 90 next year with 10 plus TDs?

Well let's just not plan on that happening--he's averaging 4 catches since the bye.

So they should just sign him to a big deal now in case he finishes with 80 this year (and 90 next)?

How bout they see what happens the rest of the season. Make him a nice offer. If he doesn't take it, franchise him. Seems reasonable.

Well let's just not plan on that happening--he's averaging 4 catches since the bye.

So they should just sign him to a big deal now in case he finishes with 80 this year (and 90 next)?

How bout they see what happens the rest of the season. Make him a nice offer. If he doesn't take it, franchise him. Seems reasonable.

I agree 100% with the bolded.

However, even if SJ continues his post-bye average, he will still approach 80 catches. It's not that far-fetched to think he can pull out one big game in the last 5 and surpass his total from last year.

However, I am not sure I agree with the thinking.

I don't know if they've changed the franchise tag rules… I know that the Raiders made Nnamdi play under the tag for like 3-4 consecutive years.

So if the rules haven't changed, they could slap him with it again.

If they aren't able to do that, then they've bought an extra year to find his replacement… or work out a deal...

He's at 54 ctaches, and his numbers were skewed a bit by the few weeks the bills got blown out. You honestly think its out of the realm of possibility that stevie averages 5 catches a game for the remaining games? Especially after he just caught 8?

He's at 54 ctaches, and his numbers were skewed a bit by the few weeks the bills got blown out. You honestly think its out of the realm of possibility that stevie averages 5 catches a game for the remaining games? Especially after he just caught 8?

Jeezus, so what if he does?? The point remains the same. Wait until he does--no deal now. If so, make him a nice offer. If he turns it down, chain him up for a year and force him to catch 90.

I don't know if they've changed the franchise tag rules… I know that the Raiders made Nnamdi play under the tag for like 3-4 consecutive years.

If they aren't able to do that, then they've bought an extra year to find his replacement… or work out a deal...

Exactly. Or if they're too cheap to pony up long-term, they can trade him. I certainly don't advocate this...I'd prefer they sign him to a long-term deal. But a trade is certainly better than letting him walk for nothing (or for a low compensatory pick). That said...lock him up, Buffalo.

Yes they could, and indeed just might - now that Marv Levy is no longer the GM.

What was that BS with Clements, anyway?