What does the team need going into next season?

Poeticlaw

As disappointed as some fans might be due to their start or whatever your feelings are of Ryan Fitzpatrick this team is on the rise and Id like to put out what i think the team needs to continue its rise and to gauge what other may be thinking about it as well.

QB- Not a need Ryan Fitzpatrick my least favorite signing ever but most applauded resigning. He is a leader and he gets the offense to play at a higher level then they could with any other QB. He is improving constantly. He might not be the epitomy of the elite qb that some fans so yearn but he will get the job done. If you think about he only lost 3 games by not getting the offense going. The defense has let us down more often the not in the final minutes of the game. I like where he is taking this team.

RB- not impressed with spiller still not a need becuase his hands out of the backfield are very good.If he can improve his vision over the remainder of the season and resign Freddy and we have a good 1-2 punch in the RB dept.

WR- There is a need for a min of 1- need to resign Steve Johnson, say what you will about his antics the kid is a player and has been playing with a groin injury and a shoulder injury compliment him with someone fast with good hands and Brad smith in the slot and David Nelson #4 and the recieving unit will be great.

OT- HUGE NEED in my opinion. We need a gut we can trust for 16 games to get the job done I dont thinkwe have that right now.

OG- Minor need- need atleast one more solid depth gaurd.

OC- May be a major need with wood experience his second season ending injury.

KR/PR- Major need we seem to be the only team I see that can do nothing with the kick offs and the punt returns arent that impressive either.

DL- Minor neeed- I dont think the line is having as much issue as the defensive scheme and blitzing and playcalling do Fire Edwards huge improvement will be seen.

LB- MAJOR NEED- atleast 2 solid LBS are needed to fill out the LB rotation.

CB- MAJOR NEED Mcelvin is just not cutting it and if florence isnt catching the ball hes giving huge yars or pass interferecne calls and MCGEE is done. Though a nice pass rush could help this unit as well.

Safteys- minor need I like our starters but no depth

So I addressed my thoughts on positions now I will put in order of need and how to procure them.

OT- Best available Free agent

LB- top 10 free agent

LB- Draft 1 round

CB- Free agency

CB- Draft 2 round

WR- best inxepensive free agent available

OG- Draft 3 Round

WR/S/OL/DL- in order of best available round 4-7

Best coaching move is to FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS do I promote Dave dunno how much his hands are in on the defense so i wouldnt be able to make an educated decision but if i was to guess I would say since the defense looks as abysmal as last season that it is all Edwards and none of Dave so I would promote Dave to the DC/Assistant Head Coach. IF some one is educated me enough to say Dave had his hands in the mix i would Hire a solid DC who has expereince of running a top 10 defense.

So in conclusion thats 3 free agents and 8 draft picks which sticks with the theme of growing and resigning your own but also improving key areas quickly thru FA while the draft picks are being groomed and Firing the DC and Hiring or promoting a new one.

Our defense was much better against the run with Williams in there, if only we could get a pass rush and some coverage. Though I attribute a lot of our coverage woes to McKelvin being a starter the whole year, so happy they downgraded him to special teamer cause he really is a bad bad football player. Might be a great athlete, but a god awful football player. The one game I recall him having an impact in was in his rookie year (I think) where he had two picks against KC, though Trent Edwards looked like an MVP candidate in that game, so take it with a grain of salt. Pass rusher is our number one priority next year, think that's where we go in the first round. I'd like to see us maybe trade up for some talent at WR as well, if there's a guy worth it. God FORBID we make any real splashes in free agency.

Edited by opfball91

I know the defense is awful but the O-line is not as good as the stats show or some fans think it is.

I would like to see a stud tackle and RG added

The other obvious needs are WR, LB, CB and D-line

Edited by Max997

Re-sign Bell and Pears for the OL. Try to work out deals with Stevie Johnson(or Franchise Tag) and Fred Jackson.

Draft:

1. Courtney Upshaw / OLB / Alabama

2. Brandon Jenkins / DE-OLB / Florida St.

3. Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St.

4. Mike Ryan / OT / UConn

Free Agency:

1. Vincent Jackson or Desean Jackson or Dwayne Bowe - WR

2. Courtland Finnegan or Brandon Carr - CB

3. Throw a back-up offer at a guy like Peyton Hillis to fill out the backfield if Spiller doesn't show something.

4. Anthony Spencer or Ahmad Brooks - OLB

Edited by H2o

I think it is all big guys. Another OL guy and at least one DL run stuffer and one LB pass rusher. Maybe the return of Williams makes the DL need not critical

I guess I'm in the group who thinks the OL is pretty sound when healthy. You can't succeed w/o an OLT, but we had both our starter and the backup both out at once - so of course the OL struggled for those 4 weeks. I don't think we need a starter ther nearly as much as we need help elsewhere.

Only one OLB?? Who's the other guy you think we have? Merriman? Kelsay?

We need a WR stud for the offense that can stretch a defense. A full-sized WR with speed. Roscoe's fast but at 165# just can't hold up. Stevie has a nice suite of tools, but not special speed to force a defense back. Nelson has great size and hands, as does Chandler, but again, they aren't going to burn too many DB's on a fly pattern.

I'd go WR, OLB, OLB in that order - depending on what quality is there when they pick, of course.

Re-sign Bell and Pears for the OL. Try to work out deals with Stevie Johnson(or Franchise Tag) and Fred Jackson.

Draft:

Free Agency:

3. Throw a back-up offer at a guy like Peyton Hillis to fill out the backfield if Spiller doesn't show something.

I like it. Especially since I'm an FSU alum myself!

Edited by BobChalmers

Draft:

Free Agency:

Looks like your expectations are set rather high. Are those FA's listed in order of priority or is that a "to-do list". As much as I would love to grab each of one from that list, the Bills would be lucky to get one in all of them. There is money to be spent, but there's not as much allure to playing in our beloved Buffalo as we may hope. As a side note, gimme Anthony Spencer in a heartbeat.

I am using the information in this thread to populate Positional Needs for Drafttek's 4-Round mock draft next week. I turn in the results Sunday night.

Looks like

OLB (Priority 1, Multiple)

CB (Priority 2)

OG (Priority 2)

WR (Priority 3)

OT (Priority 3)

What about TE?

Astro

I am using the information in this thread to populate Positional Needs for Drafttek's 4-Round mock draft next week. I turn in the results Sunday night.

Looks like

OLB (Priority 1, Multiple)

CB (Priority 2)

OG (Priority 2)

WR (Priority 3)

OT (Priority 3)

What about TE?

Astro

Thanks AB.

Can't speak for the others but after pass rusher, have WR as our next posititonal need.

Thanks AB.

Can't speak for the others but after pass rusher, have WR as our next posititonal need.

Agreed. OLB and WR are like 1 and 1A. Could argue we need 2 OLB unless we think Merriman will more fully recover next year - which is conceivable.

With Williams back healthy and playing fairly well, I'm less concerned about CB going into next year.

Honestly - can anyone have a serious complaint about the secondary after last week? They were playing amazing. Searcy blew a coverage for Keller's score. He's a rookie with very little playing time - it happens.

very well thought out Poeticlaw.

My thought is to resign most of our own players, ... except for Leodis McKelvin and Terrance McGee.

Now, Priority #1. we need to bring in a pass rusher.

Since they play 3-4 defense, their best pass rusher should be an outside linebacker. So, draft the best pass-rushing OLB available.

Priority #2. Cornerbacks. We need replacement for McKelvin and McGee. With Drayton and Williams as starters, bring in couple more for depth.

Priority #3. depth at WR. They need speed at receiver. Perhaps Marcus Easley will finally be healthy and be a starter.

depth at OG/C. We have 3 good tackles. Not typical to lose your top 2 LT's.

Priority #4. depth at RB. Need someone to give Fred Jackson some rest.

backup QB. I'm not a fan of Thigpen.

Considering want vs need; the Bills needs in order of importance.

1) A young dynamic outside 'backer that's versatile and hostile

2) A quality LT

3) A veteran outside 'backer that's ready to go on day one

4) A big strong reliable go-to receiver with some speed

We need those things to be legitimate competitors

As for wants:

> I want another young interior 'backer to play next to Barnett, but that can wait a year

> I want a TE who opposing co-ordinators have to plan for, but Chandler is reliable enough to do for now

> I want another young corner but we're probably OK with Florence/Williams and McKelvin in the slot for the time being

As disappointed as some fans might be due to their start or whatever your feelings are of Ryan Fitzpatrick this team is on the rise and Id like to put out what i think the team needs to continue its rise and to gauge what other may be thinking about it as well.

QB- Not a need Ryan Fitzpatrick my least favorite signing ever but most applauded resigning. He is a leader and he gets the offense to play at a higher level then they could with any other QB. He is improving constantly. He might not be the epitomy of the elite qb that some fans so yearn but he will get the job done. If you think about he only lost 3 games by not getting the offense going. The defense has let us down more often the not in the final minutes of the game. I like where he is taking this team.

RB- not impressed with spiller still not a need becuase his hands out of the backfield are very good.If he can improve his vision over the remainder of the season and resign Freddy and we have a good 1-2 punch in the RB dept.

WR- There is a need for a min of 1- need to resign Steve Johnson, say what you will about his antics the kid is a player and has been playing with a groin injury and a shoulder injury compliment him with someone fast with good hands and Brad smith in the slot and David Nelson #4 and the recieving unit will be great.

OT- HUGE NEED in my opinion. We need a gut we can trust for 16 games to get the job done I dont thinkwe have that right now.

OG- Minor need- need atleast one more solid depth gaurd.

OC- May be a major need with wood experience his second season ending injury.

KR/PR- Major need we seem to be the only team I see that can do nothing with the kick offs and the punt returns arent that impressive either.

DL- Minor neeed- I dont think the line is having as much issue as the defensive scheme and blitzing and playcalling do Fire Edwards huge improvement will be seen.

LB- MAJOR NEED- atleast 2 solid LBS are needed to fill out the LB rotation.

CB- MAJOR NEED Mcelvin is just not cutting it and if florence isnt catching the ball hes giving huge yars or pass interferecne calls and MCGEE is done. Though a nice pass rush could help this unit as well.

Safteys- minor need I like our starters but no depth

So I addressed my thoughts on positions now I will put in order of need and how to procure them.

OT- Best available Free agent

LB- top 10 free agent

LB- Draft 1 round

CB- Free agency

CB- Draft 2 round

WR- best inxepensive free agent available

OG- Draft 3 Round

WR/S/OL/DL- in order of best available round 4-7

Best coaching move is to FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS do I promote Dave dunno how much his hands are in on the defense so i wouldnt be able to make an educated decision but if i was to guess I would say since the defense looks as abysmal as last season that it is all Edwards and none of Dave so I would promote Dave to the DC/Assistant Head Coach. IF some one is educated me enough to say Dave had his hands in the mix i would Hire a solid DC who has expereince of running a top 10 defense.

So in conclusion thats 3 free agents and 8 draft picks which sticks with the theme of growing and resigning your own but also improving key areas quickly thru FA while the draft picks are being groomed and Firing the DC and Hiring or promoting a new one.

I don't think we need as much as you claim....

- QB - where not going to find anyone better than Fitz in the off season...we should draft a developmental player to put behind him

RB - we still need Fred...I think CJ has shown he can make plays...but he needs help...yes he shouldn't have been drafted at #9...but he is not a bust and he is here and we need to use him

WR- agreed we need to resign stevie (maybe the franchise tag) and he needs some help...Can Easley ever play in the regular season...Will Jones improve after the experience he has gained? Parrish should be gone after this year

OT - Could a competition between Bell and Hairston in the off season improve our LT situation....still think we should use a high draft pick on one

OG- with Urbick, leviter and Rhinehart I think we are in a good situation

OC- woods ACL is an injury many players do not return from at least not to the same level....we need to add some quality depth there

kr/pr- we have plaenty of players that can return punts (CJ, Brad smith, Freddy, Searcy, justin smith)...the league has all but eliminated the need for a good KR

CB- Florence is a decent # 2 and Williams is getting better and better with playing time...yes they need help but it may not be as crucial as youre saying....like you said we need a pass rush

DL- with Williams return and a veteran Dareus we should be set here....Edwards/ Carrington/ Spencer/ should be able to man the other end spot

LB- this is our biggest problem....Barnett is our only good player, don't know what happened to Moats, Spencer Johnson should never be on his feet, Kelsay is a 4-3 DE, Batten is a special teamer. Scheppard hasnt emerged., Merriman is a long shot. I know we should take the best available player Im hoping we can find a Clay Matthews, Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks type player here.....could use a free agent our 2 to add to this

A "front office enigma" is exactly what this team needs. Of course Ralph won't do it... He doesn't know what you have to do in the NFL to be successful.

As far as next year... I think we need to resign Fred and Stevie. Whether they are "elite" is irrelevant, they are capable starters on a team of mostly low average talent.

We need to overhaul the defense... whether than means cleaning house or changing schemes, I'm all for it. Definitely need more help at OLB, CB, and yeah we need DE's that actually can RUSH THE PASSER.

Or offensive line is just not good enough. A lot of the yards Fred has, have been a result of tough running. Our line is not opening up big holes either... Just ask CJ. Also the best way to help Fitz become more accurate would be to have a line that can create a nice passing pocket. Not the case this year.

WR's... Nelson is a nice slot guy and Smith might be able to get some nice grabs but we need a #2 WR to stretch the field. An AJ Green would be perfect.

Bottom line, there's still a ton of holes on this team

Our needs totally depend on what you're drafting for - if you're drafting to start winning now, as in next year and the next few, then you're also going to bring in a few F.A.'s - if you're planning on winning now. If you're planning on building a team slowly, without the "pressure to win now" attitude, then I think you draft differently - namely, you draft best player available each round.

Now, I think we all want to win now, so here are my thoughts on that:

1. We need OLB's - I think we'll see two drafted in the first four rounds, with one in the first unless there is a real all-pro talent at another position of need we just can't pass on.

2. I believe they'll want to get a big, speedy WR - but, I don't know if they will try to get one in F.A., because they typically take a few years to develop.

I think the Bills will come out of the draft next year with a starting OLB, another OLB with potential, probably a third or fourth rounder. I think we grab a TE in the mold of Green Bay's, New Orleans, or Gronkowski in New England. We will add a CB, and probably a big guy to groom as C/G, another DE, and a young QB - just because we don't have a lot of talented depth, and there will be good ones available in the draft in rounds 2-3. I wouldn't be surprised if we have three linebackers by drafts end, with seven rounds producing something like: 1. OLB, 2. QB, 3. TE, 4. WR/OLB, 5. WR/OLB (whichever isn't taken round 4), 6. CB, 7.OG

Ultimately, who knows.

But, I do think we will grab a young Qb to groom behind Fitz and to push him, and since there will be some really good ones coming out next year, I think they grab one in the early rounds. No doubt about LB's. But, here's an idea that we don't really discuss a lot - how about getting a really good TE with speed and hands. If we went for one early - say in the first 3 or 4 rounds, to be what we thought we had in Nelson, and we did pick up another big, speedy WR to stretch the field - imagine what our offense might look like with Stevie Johnson, another fast, big WR, Chandler and a good pass catching TE, with Freddie who can come out of the backfield and catch - that would be a very, very tough alignment to defend against. And, I think Chan ultimately likes that type of a lineup, where the defense just can't load up on one area, but is forced to defend it all.

As for defense - with a healthy return of players, I think they lay off the D-line for the most part, simply because Carrington, Darius, Williams are all studs, and Edwards, Spencer Johnson are decent. We are set with Barnett and Sheppard in the middle, but we really need two more good OLB's, one really good one. Safety is set, and we need another CB to go with Florence, Williams, who I think will be starters next year.

One great OLB, a dependable third CB, and a solid OLB in F.A. to bookend the group - and our D could be much better. A speedy, good WR to stretch the field, a speedy pass catching TE, and depth on the line, and our offense is dangerous. All of that could be had in one offseason. Let's hope.

Edited by sllib olaffub