What does the team need going into next season?

Poeticlaw

Thanks AB.

Can't speak for the others but after pass rusher, have WR as our next posititonal need.

Done.

OLB (Priority 1, Multiple, changing to P3 after we select first one)

CB (Priority 2)

OG (Priority 2)

WR (Priority 2)

OT (Priority 3)

This will be a deep draft for WR, but I still see them taking one of the bigger, better ones.

Edited by Astrobot

Done.

OLB (Priority 1, Multiple, changing to P3 after we select first one)

CB (Priority 2)

OG (Priority 2)

WR (Priority 2)

OT (Priority 3)

This will be a deep draft for WR, but I still see them taking one of the bigger, better ones.

No doubt.

I'm not fixated on size like a lot of people are… the most important thing is that you can play football… so the fact that Dwight Freeney is only 6'1" tall or that Von Miller weights only 246 pounds or that DeSean Jackson is only 5'9" tall… those things are less important to me than they are to some other people.

That being said, I agree that the Bills will, all things being equal, grab a bigger receiver. For one thing, that was the preference expressed by Nix and secondly, that's pretty much of a big trend in the NFL these days.

Hopefully whomever we pick will be better than James Hardy, Limas Sweed, Malcolm Kelly or that group of highly-rated stiffs.

The offense if it can play consistently over the last 5 games doesn't need much. They need a deep threat at WR, and a pure receiving tight end (More of a specialty as you wouldn't need a guy to be an every down TE), an upgrade at RG, and depth along the O-line. Being that two of those positions are back positions that's not a lot of needs.

The defense needs and infusion of talent across the board. The D also needs a major upgrade in scheme. Edwards is over his head and I would fire Wanny too, if Wanny has had any major say in the D this season.

Linebackers

OLB is the biggest need. If we stick to a 3-4 we need guys that can get to the QB and set the edge against the run. The OLB position is devoid of talent and any upgrades to the D have to address the position. MLB believe it or not is not bad, Sheppard looks like a keeper if he can improve, Barnett is a solid vet you can rely on. Maybe resign Morrison and another vet 3-4 MLB.

D-line

Kyle coming back healthy will help and Dareus is a stud. Edwards is a solid veteran (Although an upgrade could be used). The key with the D-line is depth. Carrington is a decent player. But there needs to be at least a couple of additions alongside the D-line depth wise.

Secondary

The Safeties are actually pretty solid. Byrd and Wilson are very good (Its scheme and lack of a pass rush that overexposes them). Although a better backup at FS could be used.

McGee needs to get cut. Williams, McKelvin, and Florence aren't a bad bunch but the pass rush and scheme needs to improve. Another corner needs to be brought in to replace McGee. But I think that the secondary's biggest issue is the lack of a pass rush. They get over exposed by the fact that they have to defend for too long.

One upgrade at corner, a major overhaul of the front 7, and major overhaul of scheme is what the defense needs.

Our DC needs to be fired, #1.

Then... we need to find somebody like LB Clay Matthews or LB Vonn Miller in the draft. If we identify one, I would even trade up to get him (like the Jets did to get Sanchez and Revis once upon a time).

Then draft for depth across the board. Sure more OL would be great, but if we were not riddled with injuries along the O-Line, I don't think we would be putting this as a priority. Sure CB would be great, but I truly think that Aaron Williams will be MUCH BETTER next year, so I would hold off on making too big of a splash to get another corner.

Our weakness on offense is injuries... Injured Center and Left Tackles, and injuries to Freddie and any WR opposite from Stevie.

Our weakness on defense is lack of pass rush... that could be erased by drafting an elite talent and hoping that Merriman can stay a little healthy and become a situational pass rush guy for us, since he still will be under contract. A healthy Kyle Williams would hlelp our defense immensely.

2. Brandon Jenkins / DE-OLB / Florida St.

3. Xavier Rhodes / CB / Florida St.

I'm a Noles fan, but I would not draft any CB from FSU. They got torched this year. Jenkins is good, but there are better choices. The FSU defense for all its hype this year could not keep the team in its big games.

After Edwards is fired, we need to figure some things out. Wanny is a 4-3 guy, Troupe is a bust, and Kyle and Dareus are best as 4-3 tackles. I don't think Chan cares on the D, and if Wanny is the DC and wants to run a 4-3 for familiarity or personnel, then our "needs" change. 4-3 with Carrington, Dareus, Kyle, and a super pass rushing DE is a nice line and can finally start to get pressure with 4, which is our huge huge weakness this year.

I'm a BPA guy every round, but that is a philosophy, not a decision maker because you will have guys on your board close enough to be a toss up. So pretending at the early picks we have realistic tossups at different positions and aren't taking an inferior player because "we need him" when the year 1 contribution isn't as important as the year 2,3,4, then my thoughts are as follows:

#1 need: Pass rush. 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB. I think 4-3 DE, and those are guys that tend to have plentiful choices in the teens we will be picking in. Let's just hope we go with Orakpo or Matthews and not Maybin this time.

#2 need: CB. Need more of these to stop Tebow and the running Broncos...wait, I mean the other 30 opponents who know how to throw the ball and spread it around. McGee is getting up there and coming off a big injury, McKelvin is turning into a special teamer, and we don't have a lot of bodies to help Aaron Williams out.

#3 need: OL. I'm happy with a guard or tackle who upgrades us. I'm happy with Wood and Levietre. I'm cautiously optimistic with Bell and Hairston, but want to see us get better with this unit and get another guy who can be a star.

#4 LB: beyond the pass rush, we probably need another, including an OLB even if we are back in a 4-3 and our pass rush guy at #1 is a DE.

#5 WR: I don't see this as as huge a need as other people seem to. Stevie, Nelson, Brad Smith, possibly Roscoe, and fitting in CJ when Freddie is healthy. I would love a great talent, but I can't imagine passing up a pass rusher at the kind of picks where elite WRs are available.

Go Bills.

I think it is all big guys. Another OL guy and at least one DL run stuffer and one LB pass rusher. Maybe the return of Williams makes the DL need not critical

Yes... more big mean blockers and tacklers. Same story for over ten years. Change the culture on this team.

Edited by Bob in STL

A guy like courtney upshaw would look great on our defense. I would also love to see peyton hillis get signed here to back up freddy and keep him healthy. I don't think that happens though as they are probably still in love with spiller for some reason. If we go offense I would love to see michael floyd drafted who would really stretch our offense. Upshaw first if available as we need a legit lb.