Bills Transactions

Chris Brown summarizes the 3 most recent roster moves… the IR'ing of Torrell Troup(_), the promotion of Lionel Dotson, and the return of promising rookie LB Robert Eddins, who was signed to the practice squad.

Eddins you might recall was the player who beat out Antonio Coleman for one of the final roster spots. The Bills were quite high on Eddins before he was injured and placed on IR. Because he reached an injury settlement with the team and was subsequently released, the Bills were able to re-sign him and he's allowed to play this year. This scenario was pretty much anticipated by many.

It's an interesting move also because Antonio Coleman, after being released, was signed to the New York Giants practice squad before injuries at linebacker compelled the Bills to sign Coleman back to their active roster. Since being re-signed about a month ago, Coleman has seen limited action.

It makes you wonder if they'll move Eddins up from the practice squad when he's been brought back up to speed.

Brown's recounting of the Torrell Troup(_) saga is well-written and chock full of facts.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Troup-to-I-R-DL-Dotson-promoted/d7f3374d-844e-4326-98eb-9d3d56e4241c

They are still scrambling to find a serviceable OLB heading into week 12... kind of sad.

I doubt they expect any of these guys to be serviceable in week 12, but it doesn't hurt to have them on the roster going into the offseason training programs and under contract for camp next year.

That said, they are missing a servicable OLB opposite of Kelsay.

Anyone continuing to label Troup a "bust" at this juncture is an absolute moron. He worked his ass off over the off-season and something he couldn't control (lower back) derailed what looked to be a promising season. I really hope for his sake the surgery is a success and he can play to his potential.

Very happy about the Eddins re-signing. This guy was making plays all over the field in pre-season.

Anyone continuing to label Troup a "bust" at this juncture is an absolute moron. He worked his ass off over the off-season and something he couldn't control (lower back) derailed what looked to be a promising season. I really hope for his sake the surgery is a success and he can play to his potential.

Very happy about the Eddins re-signing. This guy was making plays all over the field in pre-season.

No one said being a bust was only for poor play. Ki-Jana Carter was a bust, but only because he blew out his knee twice in about 2 seasons. For all we know he was a going to be first team all-pro. Troup may work hard, but the Bills have received little production from a 2nd year former 2nd round pick.

As for the LB's, well, Buffalo does excel at shopping at the bargain bin. Eddins, Coleman, Batten, Moats, Merriman, Torbor, White seem to confirm that.

No one said being a bust was only for poor play. Ki-Jana Carter was a bust, but only because he blew out his knee twice in about 2 seasons. For all we know he was a going to be first team all-pro. Troup may work hard, but the Bills have received little production from a 2nd year former 2nd round pick.

As for the LB's, well, Buffalo does excel at shopping at the bargain bin. Eddins, Coleman, Batten, Moats, Merriman, Torbor, White seem to confirm that.

We'd "excel at shopping at the bargain bin" if the scrap-heap players we picked up were productive. They aren't.

We'd "excel at shopping at the bargain bin" if the scrap-heap players we picked up were productive. They aren't.

Stevie Johnson -- 7th rounder

Fred Jackson -- undrafted

Ryan Fitzpatrick -- 7th rounder

George Wilson -- late draft pick at a different position

Kyle Williams -- 4th rounder

I realize none of these guys are LBs, but still...

Edited by eball

Wilson was undrafted and Williams was a 5th rounder.

You don't plan for UDFA's, late (5th-7th) round picks, low cost UFA's,and street FA's to build your team around. Some will succeed, particularly at positions like RB, but never regularly. The offensive unit had exactly 2 first/second round picks starting when the season opened: Wood and Levitre.

eball,

I think the common definition of a "bust" is a relatively high draft pick, who is not able to see the field regularly and contribute in his second season.

By that standard, sadly, Troup is a bust, Carrington and Spiller questionable, and Easley is a bust.

That doesn't mean to impugn Troup's work ethic/potential as an NFL player. He may have both in spades. But a guy who is injured or ill and thus can't see the field, isn't contributing to the success of the team.

I too, hope that Troup's surgery is successful and he can play to his potential. Unfortunately, lower back injuries are career-limiting to many OLmen, and back surgery notoriously limited in its ability to provide a "cure".

Chris Brown summarizes the 3 most recent roster moves… the IR'ing of Torrell Troup(_), the promotion of Lionel Dotson, and the return of promising rookie LB Robert Eddins, who was signed to the practice squad.

Eddins you might recall was the player who beat out Antonio Coleman for one of the final roster spots. The Bills were quite high on Eddins before he was injured and placed on IR. Because he reached an injury settlement with the team and was subsequently released, the Bills were able to re-sign him and he's allowed to play this year. This scenario was pretty much anticipated by many.

It's an interesting move also because Antonio Coleman, after being released, was signed to the New York Giants practice squad before injuries at linebacker compelled the Bills to sign Coleman back to their active roster. Since being re-signed about a month ago, Coleman has seen limited action.

It makes you wonder if they'll move Eddins up from the practice squad when he's been brought back up to speed.

Brown's recounting of the Torrell Troup(_) saga is well-written and chock full of facts.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Troup-to-I-R-DL-Dotson-promoted/d7f3374d-844e-4326-98eb-9d3d56e4241c

Not much here.

Troup was promising but the lower back must be really bad to shelve the season and get a head start on fixing it. We still do not know if he is a player. The jury is still out. People say he gets pushed arounfd but i would think that getting leveage with I bad lower back is impossible.

Eddins and Coleman are backups. Nothing to get too excited about.

When I watch other teams with good defenses I am always taken back by the speed, size, and power of the LBs. We just don't get it on drafting LBs. Ever wonder why Barnett looks 20 times better (faster, stringer and more athletic) than any other LB on our team? It's because he is, even for an old guy.

Ditto for TE's. We have neglected the TE postion for two decades. The TE is the Power Forward of todays new offenses. Hard to believe that we could not luck out just once and draft a good one.