Need advice from experienced Boy Scout types...

SDS

My son is bridging to boy scouts this year and we're trying to decide on a Troop. Our Pack sponsor also has a troop, but right now they are an unimpressive bunch. The kicker though is there will be a change in leadership soon. The guy taking over is an Eagle Scout on 'roids and is the father of one of my boys in my den. That is the gist of it.

So, my concern is that right now the Troop is a bit of a reclamation project. I have no doubt it will turn around for the better, but in the meantime I question whether there are sufficient older boys to lead the way like there should be. In other words, the scouts that come after my son will have it much better than he will and I'm not sure I'm ready to trade off his experience, just for someone else. Selfish yes, but it his childhood and he should make the most of it.

So, for those who have been through this - is this a big concern? There are 25 boys in the Troop. We could almost double it if all our boys bridged there. Any advice?

Are there enough fathers of the current troop and those bridging to help out? In my troop when I was in BSA, the fathers always helped out where they could, either on camping trips or taking the lead on assisting the entire troop in getting a merit badge. I remember my dad helping with the paper making and gun safety merit badges.

My son is bridging to boy scouts this year and we're trying to decide on a Troop. Our Pack sponsor also has a troop, but right now they are an unimpressive bunch. The kicker though is there will be a change in leadership soon. The guy taking over is an Eagle Scout on 'roids and is the father of one of my boys in my den. That is the gist of it.

So, my concern is that right now the Troop is a bit of a reclamation project. I have no doubt it will turn around for the better, but in the meantime I question whether there are sufficient older boys to lead the way like there should be. In other words, the scouts that come after my son will have it much better than he will and I'm not sure I'm ready to trade off his experience, just for someone else. Selfish yes, but it his childhood and he should make the most of it.

So, for those who have been through this - is this a big concern? There are 25 boys in the Troop. We could almost double it if all our boys bridged there. Any advice?

I could also give your boy a chance to excel and get into a patrol leader position.

Are there enough fathers of the current troop and those bridging to help out? In my troop when I was in BSA, the fathers always helped out where they could, either on camping trips or taking the lead on assisting the entire troop in getting a merit badge. I remember my dad helping with the paper making and gun safety merit badges.

Well, yes, but Boy Scouts are supposed to be patrol led, not parent led. That is exactly what I want to avoid.

However, a Troop has to gain its footing somewhere, I'm just concerned how much gets sacrificed to do it.

I could also give your boy a chance to excel and get into a patrol leader position.

That would be a benefit for sure. Still, I would like him to learn leadership from an older scout 1st, but then again I wasn't a scout either, so what do I know.

What are the other options for troops?

When I was in, the fathers (and a couple of single mothers) did the lion's share.... I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary to learn from older scouts as long as you think your son is or can assume the responsibility. If there is a gung-ho pack leader who was an Eagle Scout, you can use your judgment on whether or how he will be able to show your son the ropes if/when he does get to be a patrol leader. In my experience, people who've gotten Eagle usually have their stevestojan together and are easier to work with than most people --- either that or they are completely anal-retentive perfectionists.

I would think it's less important to find and place your son in the perfectly-tailored situation. In life, he's going to have to jump feet-first into many situations that aren't perfect, and he's going to have to put work into establishing relationships and make the best of the situation. Now is as good a time as any.

Edited by UConn James

I was in 4-H and not the scouts. However, the leaders are only about 1/3 of the equation with the parents and other troop leaders holding the balance, If they are a positive influence on the situation then things should turn around quickly. I was very fortunate in my youth to be surrounded by some pretty good people and more than one strong leader. My 4-H club leaders were among them but i could also point to many of the the other parents who helped and encouraged us.

I was dang near an ealge-scout, had to quit because of the troop disbanding and school. I would have been an Eagle by 15, likely, was OA, as well.

My troop was the first from our school and early on it was nice because we were too young to really start our own agenda's, etc. Eventually, a few parents started to take the lead from the group and really helped us out. We were a pack of about a dozen, no older packs, no younger packs (they had already merged with other schools).

My dad traveled too much to be involved, my mother helped when she could but all in all it was a much different experience then other troops - from the outside looking in. At events it would be entire sections of troops, from young kids to the scouts to the parents - for us, just 20 people or so. I would worry about a new gun-ho leader fresh to the helm, as well.

I cannot say it would have been better in a large troop but if I had it to try over again I would have chose to be in a larger pack. Then again I would not be in the scouts if I tried at this time because I am atheist.