Mike Leach hired as HC

The Senator

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Au contraire - The Senator is thrilled to see 'The Pirate' back on the sidelines, and the entire PAC 12 should be very afraid :pirate:

I knew he was the front-runner there, even posted these links in a different thread earlier today...

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars Head Coaching Candidate: Too Good To Be True?

Mike Leach On Washington State 'Short List,' Says Bill Moos

...only was unsure if he'd accept the job or hold out for the Ole Miss or UCLA job.

In the end, Moos knew he had to move fast before the bidding contest for Leach's services began and he ended up elsewhere.

And Leach knew he had to grab any respectable offer just to get his camel's nose in the tent and revive his career after a 2-year exile.

A win-win situation - and college football in general, and Washington State in particular, are far better off today than yesterday.

(Leach earned his law degree at Pepperdine University Law School in Malibu, so returning to LA might still be a long-term goal - Lane Kiffin will eventually self-destruct).

Looks like Leach is gonna be a very wealthy guy - particularly after Texas Tech settles with him.

Can't wait for the Air Raid offense and the quote machine to get going again - GO COUGARS!!!!!

Edited by The Senator

Au contraire - The Senator is thrilled to see 'The Pirate' back on the sidelines, and the entire PAC 12 should be very afraid :pirate:

I knew he was the front-runner there, even posted these links in a different thread earlier today...

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars Head Coaching Candidate: Too Good To Be True?

Mike Leach On Washington State 'Short List,' Says Bill Moos

...only was unsure if he'd accept the job or hold out for the Ole Miss or UCLA job.

In the end, Moos knew he had to move fast before the bidding contest for Leach's services began and he ended up elsewhere.

And Leach knew he had to grab any respectable offer just to get his camel's nose in the tent and revive his career after a 2-year exile.

A win-win situation - and college football in general, and Washington State in particular, are far better off today than yesterday.

(Leach earned his law degree at Pepperdine University Law School in Malibu, so returning to LA might still be a long-term goal - Lane Kiffin will eventually self-destruct).

Looks like Leach is gonna be a very wealthy guy - particularly after Texas Tech settles with him.

Can't wait for the Air Raid offense and the quote machine to get going again - GO COUGARS!!!!!

I don't know how many school records Ryan Leaf or Jack Thompson, aka "The Throwin' Samoan" still hold at Pullman but I have a feeling Leach is gonna have that record book re-written real soon.

Happy for Coach and for you too, Senator. A pirate's not a pirate unless he has a ship to command.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Based on those possibilities that the Senator listed, I'd have rather seen him head down to Ole Miss so he could join the fray here in the SEC. On top of that, Ole Miss had a crap season and they could have used him!

Based on those possibilities that the Senator listed, I'd have rather seen him head down to Ole Miss so he could join the fray here in the SEC. On top of that, Ole Miss had a crap season and they could have used him!

It is sad that Ole Miss can't seem to get it together in the SEC. They are a perenia second tier school which seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. You would think they could do better. Of course, I have similar concerns for Tennessee. They seem to be at the bottom of the tier one group and are very much at risk of slipping lower. Given the tradition here though I can't imagine that happening.

It is sad that Ole Miss can't seem to get it together in the SEC. They are a perenia second tier school which seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. You would think they could do better. Of course, I have similar concerns for Tennessee. They seem to be at the bottom of the tier one group and are very much at risk of slipping lower. Given the tradition here though I can't imagine that happening.

Is it just me or isn't it kinda weird how both Manning boys chose the SEC but neither went to a powerhouse school?

Is it just me or isn't it kinda weird how both Manning boys chose the SEC but neither went to a powerhouse school?

And Ole Miss alum Archie is head of the search committee for the new HC. (Some want him to hire son Peyton! B-))

FWIW, outgoing coach Houston Nutt tried giving Leach a nice endorsement for the job...

Link - Houston Nutt mentions Mike Leach as possible replacement

Alas, for Ole Miss, that pirate's ship has now sailed. :pirate:

I was majorly bummed when Lane Kiffin bolted Tennessee and headed for the West coast. That guy was already stirring it up, particularly with Florida, and it had the potential to be great. I love SEC football, but with Urban Meyer and Kiffin both gone, a lot of the trash talk went with them. Chizik at Auburn shows some candor at times, but guys like Saban, Miles, and Spurrier seem to keep their comments under wraps for the most part. Kiffin was a lightening rod, and it would have made an already great conference even better, IMO.

That'll sadden the Senator

I think it will make the senator happy to see his beloved Leach get back into the coaching ranks.

As long as its not here it's all good.

Tennessee was a power with Fulmer but have done nothing since.

Actually, you've listed him as a front runner for just about every opening the past year--including Tampa Bay, in a thread which was mercifully shut down yeaterday.

He's the only reason I became a Tech fan in the first place. I wish he was still there. Tuberville is doing a fine job of running that thing in Lubbock into the ground.

Oh well, I guess this will be a good way to feign an interest in the PAC 10,12,14 or whatever it is called. May the Cougars first season under Leach be a masculine season...

Tennessee was a power with Fulmer but have done nothing since.

Well Fullmer became head coach 1 year before Peyton signed there… so the Vols were not an established power… although they were a good team under Johnny Majors.

They became a powerhouse while Manning was there so Manning helped establish the program.

They eventually won a National Championship in '98, after Manning was in the NFL.

Actually, you've listed him as a front runner for just about every opening the past year--including Tampa Bay, in a thread which was mercifully shut down yeaterday.

I'll give you that one - I certainly was of the complete opposite opinion of some knucklehead that insisted Leach was washed up and would never coach a major program again.

BTW, the othe r"shut-down" thread you reference now seems to be this thread - and it was actually about the Jacksonville HC opening (Tampa Bay may have already built a pirate ship - but has yet to fire Raheem Morris, AFAIK).

Don't know why the two threads were merged, as mine had nothing to do with Leach's accepting the Cougars job and was started before that was announced - they should have just deleted my thread and left bills44 thread as is, regarding Leach's accepting the job at Washington State.

(Since I apparently now have control of the title, I've changed it back to what bills44 originally started and deleted the J-ville speculation - so at least the thread will make sense.)

Edited by The Senator

Actually, you've listed him as a front runner for just about every opening the past year since the day he was **** canned by TT -- including Tampa Bay, in a thread which was mercifully shut down yeaterday.

Fixed.

So the butt-Pirate finally had to settle for a lame assignment like Washington State? Oh well, I'm sure Tom Tuttle from Tacoma is psyched.