FIRE GEORGE EDWARDS!!!!

Joaquin1119

Maybin can't even see the field in Buffalo. With the Jets, he has 5 sacks already. If there's any clearer indication that our defensive coaching staff doesn't have a clue, I'm not sure what it would be. Add to it all the draft picks and FAs signed, and it's clear Edwards has no clue as to how to operate an NFL defense.

It's a shame, we finally have an NFL caliber offense, but thy can't be expected to score 30+ points each week.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the clown pretending to be an offensive coordinator

Well we do have Wannstache waiting in the wings for defensive coordinator - and I guess Joe Paterno is available too, if that would make Ralph more comfortable.

On the offense side of the ball, 'The Pirate' is still available but the Bills would have to grab him quickly before he ends up at either Washington State, UCLA, Kansas, or Ole Miss...

Mike Leach, Washington State Cougars Head Coaching Candidate: Too Good To Be True?

VINCENT BONSIGNORE on UCLA: Mike Leach should be UCLA's next football coach

If Kansas Can't Get Mike Leach, Then Jim Leavitt Or Brent Venables Warrant A Call

Ole Miss search should start with Mike Leach, Rich Rodriguez

We have an issue effectively developing and then utilizing pass rushers. Look at what Maybin is doing in New York. I'm paraphrasing a quote by Buddy Nix after he cut Maybin but he said "at 230 lbs. I'm not sure there is a scheme he fits." Apparently he fits NY's scheme pretty well and has had an impact on both games against the Bills.

I think this franchise should fire George Edwards, and don't let the guy even take the field in the 2nd half. Send the rest of the team a strong message that losing is no longer tolerated, and if you can't do your job, you'll be sent packing in a way that the whole league will see.

I think I should be given 2 tickets and reservations at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun. And a pony.

Neither gonna happen.

What y'all don't get is that Edwards was Chan's personal choice for DC. It is also very likely that Chan hand-picked most of the defensive assistants, who are split between Chan buddies (Giff Smith, Wannstache) and Fewell holdovers (Catavolos, Bob Sanders).

I know Jack Sh** about management. Seriously. Jack is a good friend of mine, and really, I know him well. While I don't know the inner workings of NFL coaching staffs, the coaches are human beings and the same rules apply.

So listen up! Here's the Low Down on the Hiring/Firing Hoe Down:

1) The Boss Man's pet choice can NOT be fired too quickly even if he sucks, because that would mean admitting that the Boss's judgement in hiring him sucked and would make the Boss Man look bad.

2) If the Boss Man's pet choice must be fired, this can not be done ignominiously. He must be given a face-saving out: either another job or another position in the organization. This will be marketed as a "better opportunity", or as superior for "personal reasons", or as generous service to the organization (if it looks too much like a demotion to market as an opportunity).

There are very practical reasons for these rules beyond the obvious issue of the Boss Man having an ego and not wanting to look like a fool who made a mistake in his hiring. (And don't be fooled by Chan's "aw shucks" low-key demeanor. He's filling one of 32 of the toughest, highest visibility jobs in sports and he's got as much ego as the other 31.)

Football coaching is a tough job, hinging on a lot of factors beyond the control of the coach such as player acquisition/retention and injuries. If you're a top-notch guy who is currently employed, would you take a job where you felt your predecessor wasn't given a fair chance or was treated in a humiliating way? If you're working for a DC who is treated in a humiliating fashion, what would it do to your morale?

Thus we see a 2nd season from Edwards, even in the face of poor planning/player management last year. He had to be given better players. With all the injuries, I think it may be even odds whether he gets a 3rd year. But if he is released, it had better be in a very respectful manner, or no one better will ever want to come here, and any decent coaches still working here will want to leave.

Compare this to Green Bay. A couple of years ago, they are having tremendous problems on D and they go out and hire Dom Capers, an acknowledged master of the 3-4. Two years later, they win a Super Bowl. Of course, we don't have the resources of a big city market like Green Bay . . .

Pop Quiz: Who was the DC Green Bay fired due to their underperforming D that let leads slip away late in games?

Where is he coaching now?

Edited by Hopeful

Agreed. It is simply moronic to play guys physically unable to play LB at that position just for shins and grits. Seriously though, good luck talking Buddy into officially going back to the 4-3.

I think the above poster hit in on the head about this Defense and playing to the strengths of the personnel rather than scheming dispite it...Dareus and Williams would seemingly be the strength of this Defense...While Dareus and Williams can play DE in a 3-4, they are both far better suited inside at DT in a 4-3...And really, can we just come out and say it?...KW is NOT a 3-4 NT...Good grief...That's exactly why Buddy spent a 2nd Round Pick on Troup...He knew it...Everybody knows it...Williams had a tremendous year in 2010 playing out of position...But Teams still ran the ball on the Bills at will...KW was playing out of position, and that was part of the reason why the Bills were a terrible D in 2010...

So...I think the logical way for The Bills to approach this is to build a 4-3 around Dareus and Williams...We'll see if the man with the genius plan can adjust to that logic...I kinda doubt he will as well...He's already become well adapt at out-thinking himself...Which IMHO is not a tough thing to do... ;)

I'm so sick and tired of his our D has been playing since the start of the season!! I don't understand why Chan hasn't fire Edwards yet. Once the season is over with, they better let him go!!!

If Edwards goes, the entire defensive staff should go, including Wannstadt, only a fool would think he has no say in anything. Everyone keeps yelling to fired Edwards, and maybe they should, but to put it all on him is stupid. Alot of the blame goes on Gailey-he is the head coach, and was all for the failed effort of converting to a 3-4. With the players on defense right now, Buddy Ryan in his prime couldn't do much better with this defense, especially, with the exception of last weekend, they were on the field for 70% of the game.

Pop Quiz: Who was the DC Green Bay fired due to their underperforming D that let leads slip away late in games? Where is he coaching now?

Thanks for that. So we have a college coach as DC and a failed DC on staff. You'd think Wannstache would've made a bigger impact. Typical stuff from our beloved organization.

The Green Bay Packers' season came apart thanks in large part to a defense that consistently blew fourth-quarter leads. Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders and most of his staff were let go Monday as a result.

Sanders, the Packers' defensive ends coach under Mike Sherman in 2005, was tabbed to lead the defense after former defensive coordinator Jim Bates left the team. Bates, a finalist for the head coaching job after Sherman was fired, did not stay after McCarthy was hired.

The Packers' defense got off to a shaky start under Sanders in 2006, giving up too many big plays and occasionally showing signs of confusion on the field. The unit improved in 2007, tying for sixth-best in the league in scoring as the Packers went 13-3.

But the defense regressed in 2008. The Packers' big-play problems returned as they struggled to shake off several significant injuries. Consistent pass-rush pressure was a season-long concern.

After giving up 291 points in 2007, the Packers yielded a whopping 380 in 2008.

The Packers allowed 135 points in the fourth quarter in 2008, second-worst in the league behind Houston. Before their season-ending victory over Detroit, the Packers had blown fourth-quarter leads in four straight games.

Sanders took responsibility for the defense's shortcomings.

"I take responsibility for everything," Sanders said on the Monday after the Packers' season finale. "It's my responsibility. Certainly, I try to get our guys in the best position I can to be successful, and when it doesn't happen, certainly I understand that. There were a lot of good plays. The scheme has brought a lot of good plays and a lot of good wins. Certainly I know what this scheme can do. At times, I didn't get the job done. I understand that."

At the time, Sanders knew it could cost him his job.

"If you're a coach, certainly that's part of the situation that you sign on to," Sanders said. "I just work to the best of my ability."

Edited by Jukester

Don't have a clue who Green Bay's DC was before Capers. Who was it?

Why, that would be Buffalo's former DL and current OLB coach, Bob "My #22 Ranked Defense Folded Like Wet Cheesecloth Late in the Game" Sanders

(He was replaced as DL coach by that avatar of collegiate recruiting for Georgia Tech, Giff Smith)

Now I'm all for the Peter Principle that a guy can be a bust as DC yet a quality position coach. Yet doesn't this sound way too familiar?

"The Packers' defense got off to a shaky start under Sanders in 2006, giving up too many big plays and occasionally showing signs of confusion on the field. The unit improved in 2007, tying for sixth-best in the league in scoring as the Packers went 13-3.

But the defense regressed in 2008. The Packers' big-play problems returned as they struggled to shake off several significant injuries. Consistent pass-rush pressure was a season-long concern." Source

(Edit: link doesn't seem to be working, try here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3811283 )

Note: the Buck o' Blame for this pathetic defensive showing should still stop with Edwards. Just sayin' that getting rid of Edwards may be necessary, but not sufficient.

Thanks for that. So we have a college coach as DC and a failed DC on staff. You'd think Wannstache would've made a bigger impact. Typical stuff from our beloved organization.

BING BING BING we have a winner! (I missed your post when I responded, sorry!)

A failed DC can be a good position coach, just as a failed head coach can be a good OC or DC.

Confusion on the field.....no pass rush... blowing 4th quarter leads....from the guy who is now our OLB coach.

It just sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it?

Like, perhaps there is a reason why our promising OLBs aren't developing?