Bills Could Avoid Most of Fitz's New Deal

judman

And yet again, we prepare to sacrifice a QB at the altar of inadequate blocking and second tier receiving corps.

_ Agree, he isn't the greatest QB but he is far far from the worst. If our O-line could preotect and block, Fitz would look more like the first 4 games.

_ Injuries are killing this team and most of us saw depth as a HUGE problem coming into this year and after the

first few games even.

_ having a better line and depth will help greatly.

_ having some good OLB, DE, and corners who have a clue on how to cover and knock balls down would help out greatly

_ Wr is a big problem. We need atleast 1 more legit WR to go with SJ. Sj is not the greatest either but the kid is pretty good with only 2 yrs starting. Find a #1 or someone equal to SJ talents and we should be fine with the rest.

- MOst of all get a GOOD D.Q.. Edwards is not great or good. Either give the stache a run @ our D, or get someone who can, This Bills D couldn't stop a nose bleed. They look and R horrible. Teams r laughing at them. I am laughing at them, what else can you do. Atleast in the begining of the year the o gave us some hope, but our D was bad and got worse!

Thats all i got. We are a lot farther off than i thought. Getting some players back next year, a good draft, and I hope to GOD we r a little more active with FREE AGENTS!

Edited by snamsnoops

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate feeling this way, cause I'm typically not one of the people on here who changes their views and opinions based on the direction of the wind like some of you bozos, but I'm relieved to hear this about the contract. I really like Fitz, and I'm glad we gave him the reigns this season, but he's really, REALLY disappointed me the last few weeks. I'm just not ready to hitch the wagon to him for the long term.

Dude, I feel the same way. I really like this guy. He is not some cocky, arrogant big shot from a big school. He is truly a team player and a really good fit for the area. He has to do better.

Dude, I feel the same way. I really like this guy. He is not some cocky, arrogant big shot from a big school. He is truly a team player and a really good fit for the area. He has to do better.

Definitely...and I really thought he was showing that he just hadn't been given the chance to take a team on his shoulders, cause the numbers he was putting up were really impressive...and I love that he has more of a gunslinger mentality than he does a game manager one. But wow, talk about a fall from grace. I refuse to give up on the kid totally, but even just this three game stretch has convinced me that we still need to keep our eyes open for a long term answer at QB.

Just not good enough, Fitzy...not for B-lo.

I hate feeling this way, cause I'm typically not one of the people on here who changes their views and opinions based on the direction of the wind like some of you bozos, but I'm relieved to hear this about the contract. I really like Fitz, and I'm glad we gave him the reigns this season, but he's really, REALLY disappointed me the last few weeks. I'm just not ready to hitch the wagon to him for the long term.

Totally agree...

I respect Fitz and what he's done so far...But no on on this earth will ever convince me The Bills can't do better...It's the most important position...period...And if the opportunity arises to upgrade, it's good to know they have an out on that deal...If not, build around Fitz and hope for the best... B-)

OMG we're 4-1 in the last 5 games, Fitzmajic is amazing! He can walk on water. We need to sign him to a lifetime contract for a Billion dollars!!!

Championship!!!

OMG we're 1-4, in the last 5 games Fitzcrapatrick is horrible! He couldn't walk-on to a pee-wee football team. He needs to to be cut immediately!! Who cares that the whole O-Line is regiggered and all the WRs are banged up!! HE sux sux sux!

Ralph is cheap! The Bills sux for life!

Maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

Maybe Football is a team sport and a QB can't do it all on his own?

I may be crazy though.

Edited by Why So Serious?

With this info the contract actually looks good. It gives the Bills the ability to walk away, without the risk of having to pay him more than $60 million had he proved himself. With that said, its time to draft a franchise QB. I like the one from Baylor.

Get OLB/DE in free agency (we have a TON of money to spend as we are 20 below the cap and there are some good ones out there), draft one WR, FA another, draft more D-line and O-line. Sign a cheap veteran backup QB like Burnell, etc.

I agree with every point you made! We can't do worse with a rookie QB!

Go Bills!!!

Maybe it's somewhere in the middle?

Maybe Football is a team sport and a QB can't do it all on his own?

I may be crazy though.

Fitz isn't the total blame for the demise of the offense!!! He has no one to throw to. He also isn't getting the protection he got at the beginning of the season. No one can catch the damn ball,

except for our Tight-End Chandler. Why can't we get him more involved? Our receivers suck! No matter how funny I think Stevie Johnson is, he is mediocre at best.

With that said, Fitz still needs to do more to help. He's always good for a floater or two, but he's been throwing a ton of them. We don 't have anyone who can snatch a ball out of the air, wether

they are in double coverage or not. There's no Larry Fitzgerald on the team. Get Chandler more involved, get Spiller in on more short passes, I don't freaking know! How about if something

isn't working, change things up. I don't think any adjustments have been made during a game!

Go Bills!!!

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL and the full amount of the contract is almost never actually paid out. The only guaranteed money is the signing bonus which at times is paid out in two installments. Long term is only as good as your last game in the NFL. The Bills are not tied to any players contract especially with as far below the salary cap as they are. In the past when they had many good players the cap had to be managed. Now managing the cap just means more money for Wilson's family and not putting a competitive product on the field.

just so it's on the record there isnt a QB playing now or before who would have won any of the last 3 games playing for the Buffalo Bills. As per usual we are looking in the wrong direction. Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback, his wide outs stink, are intimidated and wilt at physical football. His defense is beyond words horrible (he doesn't play on the defense) consistently giving up 35-40 points a game. So you want to draft a QB who can put up 50 a game - ya good luck and keep blaming.

<br />just so it's on the record there isnt a QB playing now or before who would have won any of the last 3 games playing for the Buffalo Bills. As per usual we are looking in the wrong direction. Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback, his wide outs stink, are intimidated and wilt at physical football. His defense is beyond words horrible (he doesn't play on the defense) consistently giving up 35-40 points a game. So you want to draft a QB who can put up 50 a game - ya good luck and keep blaming.<br />
he's not the only reason for our fall from grace, but his play the last 3 games has most definitely been part of the problem. If you disagree, you either don't watch the games or you're blind. His play has been dreadful, even when he has time to throw, his passes are usually too high or too low. Yes, the wrs dropped a bunch of passes, but he's also throw a LOT of bad passes.

he's not the only reason for our fall from grace, but his play the last 3 games has most definitely been part of the problem.

How dare you...you know the rose-colored glasses "Billievers" can't handle this type of honesty...are you trying to cause them mental breakdowns?

Its a team sport. Bills problems go way further than Fitzpatrick. No rookie QB is going to make Bills a playoff contender. Bills need OT and wide outs who can handle physical DBs. He also needs a defense that can stop opposing teams from running up score and killing game plan before half time. Give Fitzpatrick some weapons before blaming him for bad offense.

just so it's on the record there isnt a QB playing now or before who would have won any of the last 3 games playing for the Buffalo Bills. As per usual we are looking in the wrong direction. Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback, his wide outs stink, are intimidated and wilt at physical football. His defense is beyond words horrible (he doesn't play on the defense) consistently giving up 35-40 points a game. So you want to draft a QB who can put up 50 a game - ya good luck and keep blaming.

I agree that Fitz isn't totally to blame by any means. Every aspect of this team besides Fred Jackson is subpar at best and horrendous at worst. However, Fitz has shown that he just doesn't have the arm to be a franchise qb. He does have all the tools to be the perfect back up. Since he can completely understand an offense, make checks at the line, spread the ball around, and take shots , when teams don't have extensive scouting reports/game plans for him, he can win you some games. But because of the fact that he has no zip on his outs and has a very inaccurate deep ball, once a team figures out what they have to take away and how to do it, he just doesn't have the talent to adjust. Obviously, he's getting paid way too much to be a back up, but if we're gonna be under the cap anyway, I wouldn't have a problem drafting/signing a franchise guy and keeping fitz around as a mentor/back up, I also wouldn't mind if they cut him if they put that money into a big time play maker. Either way, qb is absolutely a priority this offseason, Fitz isn't the answer.

Its a team sport. Bills problems go way further than Fitzpatrick. No rookie QB is going to make Bills a playoff contender. Bills need OT and wide outs who can handle physical DBs. He also needs a defense that can stop opposing teams from running up score and killing game plan before half time. Give Fitzpatrick some weapons before blaming him for bad offense.

Oh I see, if he had better receivers he would no longer be throwing high on so many passes...yeah, that's it. So I suppose the mere presence of Wes Welker and Dez Bryant alters the laws of physics on a football field, magically lowering the trajectory of the ball. Yeah, that's it...it's all about the receivers.

No one in this thread has claimed that the Bills are a QB away from being a complete football team. Nor has anyone claimed that a hypothetical future QB could put up 50 a game--especially not with the Bills' current problems on the OL and at WR!

But it is legitimate to look at the quality of a quarterback's throws and his overall play, to determine whether there is significant room for improvement at that position. Fitz has made a number of inaccurate throws these past few weeks. Those throws are his responsibility, just as other players' bad plays are the responsibility of those other players.

Going into the season, Fitz was known as a QB with some strengths, but also an inability to throw the ball with consistent accuracy. During the first few games of the season he seemed to have taken his game to the next level. In hindsight, it appears that much of that early season success was based on his being the beneficiary of some extremely poor pass defenses.

A QB should have a career average of 7.2 yards per attempt to be considered borderline franchise. In 2010, Fitz's average was 6.8 yards per attempt. That average represented a new high water mark for his career. During the first few games of 2011 he averaged 7.1 yards per attempt. But since then, his average for the season has fallen to 6.9 yards per attempt. With the exception of a few good games against some very bad pass defenses, there is little to suggest Fitz is the long-term answer at quarterback.

No one in this thread has claimed that the Bills are a QB away from being a complete football team. Nor has anyone claimed that a hypothetical future QB could put up 50 a game--especially not with the Bills' current problems on the OL and at WR!

But it is legitimate to look at the quality of a quarterback's throws and his overall play, to determine whether there is significant room for improvement at that position. Fitz has made a number of inaccurate throws these past few weeks. Those throws are his responsibility, just as other players' bad plays are the responsibility of those other players.

Going into the season, Fitz was known as a QB with some strengths, but also an inability to throw the ball with consistent accuracy. During the first few games of the season he seemed to have taken his game to the next level. In hindsight, it appears that much of that early season success was based on his being the beneficiary of some extremely poor pass defenses.

A QB should have a career average of 7.2 yards per attempt to be considered borderline franchise. In 2010, Fitz's average was 6.8 yards per attempt. That average represented a new high water mark for his career. During the first few games of 2011 he averaged 7.1 yards per attempt. But since then, his average for the season has fallen to 6.9 yards per attempt. With the exception of a few good games against some very bad pass defenses, there is little to suggest Fitz is the long-term answer at quarterback.

+1