Be a one person stimulus program this holiday.....

B-Large

The average American spends 750 on the consumeristic farce that has made a mockery of JC and the celebration of his birthday.... But..... Since people are to dumb to just enjoy the holiday without mall related misery..... How bout this thought:

Holiday Season 2011- spend 100 percent of your X-mas allotment on local, small businesses, that sell certifiable, 100% American made products....

As exciting as the OWS is, there is no better way for Middle Classers to show their power and moxy than supporting and showing pride in their neighbors ....

Billions and Billions of non- goverment dollars making change in the land we love, and bring a sense of pride back to this great land.....

If you don't support this, you hate Freedom and America.... For the atheist, jus pipe down and be an f'n patriot....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average American spends 750 on the consumeristic farce that has made a mockery of JC and the celebration of his birthday.... But..... Since people are to dumb to just enjoy the holiday without mall related misery..... How bout this thought:

Holiday Season 2011- spend 100 percent of your X-mas allotment on local, small businesses, that sell certifiable, 100% American made products....

As exciting as the OWS is, there is no better way for Middle Classers to show their power and moxy than supporting and showing pride in their neighbors ....

Billions and Billions of non- goverment dollars making change in the land we love, and bring a sense of pride back to this great land.....

If you don't support this, you hate Freedom and America.... For the atheist, jus pipe down and be an f'n patriot....

B-Large, you are the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Dennisdread was right. Of all the B-Large's in the world, you are the B-Largest.

B-Large, you are the only person I know who can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem. Maybe Dennisdread was right. Of all the B-Large's in the world, you are the B-Largest.

HAHAHA. No one ever put Christmas into perspective quite as well as Linus.

I love the season.... I just don't buy anything from stores for anyone.... People thought I had horns coming out of my head, you didn't buy any presents!!!!!!!!

Most people I know have lost focus of what that holiday is about.... And it is not Chinese garbage wrapped in paper with candy canes on it.... It the birth of the most generous, compassionate, charitable person to ever have walked the rock....

My point is, ever year people get sucked back into the retail frenzy, even if they have no business doing so, so spend it USA.

My thread is not making Xmas a problem, it is recognizing people could do something positive for America.....

Last week we were grocery shopping. I forgot to scan my Safeway club card. After we were rang up and paid they asked if I scanned it. I said I thought I did but I guess I didn't. They asked if we wanted the savings to us in cash. Sure, why not. It was $18. I got to thinking, what a great way to stimulate the economy. That was $18 in cash that I would have otherwise not spent elswhere which of course I did. So how about giving people the choice instead of two for one, 10% discount, coupons, tec let them choose to have the savings back to them in cash. I'm not sure it that really makes sense but I thought it would be a good way to stimulate the economy.

Thoughts?

B... luv ya bro, but the above is a truly ignorant statement. You know I'm in the tool industry, so let me explain what it takes to make a tool that by law, can say "Made in America"...

Short version...

The tool can not be simply assembled in America, but every part of that tool MUST be certifiable that even the raw materials, plastics the oil they are made from, must originate here. Copper and other metals must be mined here. Lithium, if it has batteries, must be mined here. And each and every part of that acquirement, refining, production, and assembly, has to be done here, surrounded by all the federal regulations involved every step of the way...

Is it any wonder it's much easier to find a pair of socks that say "Made in America" than it is most other products?? It's not only the "cheap labor" people harp so much on involved here... I can find raw materials from all over the world, ship them to Mexico, China, EVEN the United Kingdom and Germany!!! And simply put made in that country on the label, without all the regulations, and stipulations involved with "Made in America" and lower manufacturing cost dramatically...

Just my two cents....

Edited by Cinga

B... luv ya bro, but the above is a truly ignorant statement. You know I'm in the tool industry, so let me explain what it takes to make a tool that by law, can say "Made in America"...

Short version...

The tool can not be simply assembled in America, but every part of that tool MUST be certifiable that even the raw materials, plastics the oil they are made from, must originate here. Copper and other metals must be mined here. Lithium, if it has batteries, must be mined here. And each and every part of that acquirement, refining, production, and assembly, has to be done here, surrounded by all the federal regulations involved every step of the way...

Is it any wonder it's much easier to find a pair of socks that say "Made in America" than it is most other products?? It's not only the "cheap labor" people harp so much on involved here... I can find raw materials from all over the world, ship them to Mexico, China, EVEN the United Kingdom and Germany!!! And simply put made in that country on the label, without all the regulations, and stipulations involved with "Made in America" and lower manufacturing cost dramatically...

Just my two cents....

I understand your point, I am in research mode for buying new table saw and helical planer.... It is almost impossible to find either 100% made in the US... Meaning, steel used, coatings, other components... However, there are still companies out there who design, macinne and assemble precision within our borders.... I guess my original statement was not with big machinery in mind.....Lie-Nielsen, I am almost certain use all-American supplies in their chisels, planes and other traditional tools... But again, that is not machinery, so not quite a parallel comparison....

Point is, why in the worst economic situation perhaps ever in the US, is there not more talk about seeking out and buying things that produce American jobs and livelihoods? Our government and our corporations have done a great job at sending prosperity overseas to supportbtheir cronyism.... We, the little guys can do something about it, we can... People are going to avoid me for it, but I am pushing American all day, everyday....

This is a great time to take this economy back... Perhaps that 750 will not go as far this year, but in the end, won't it go further buying domestic?

Side note: So, did you get the job?

I understand your point, I am in research mode for buying new table saw and helical planer.... It is almost impossible to find either 100% made in the US... Meaning, steel used, coatings, other components... However, there are still companies out there who design, macinne and assemble precision within our borders.... I guess my original statement was not with big machinery in mind.....Lie-Nielsen, I am almost certain use all-American supplies in their chisels, planes and other traditional tools... But again, that is not machinery, so not quite a parallel comparison....

Point is, why in the worst economic situation perhaps ever in the US, is there not more talk about seeking out and buying things that produce American jobs and livelihoods? Our government and our corporations have done a great job at sending prosperity overseas to supportbtheir cronyism.... We, the little guys can do something about it, we can... People are going to avoid me for it, but I am pushing American all day, everyday....

This is a great time to take this economy back... Perhaps that 750 will not go as far this year, but in the end, won't it go further buying domestic?

My point was that to be labeled "Made in America" for a lot of products, is nearly impossible due to the requirements... As for a true "Made in America" table saw, the best one out there right now is the new Delta Unisaw! And no, I don't work for Delta but have worked closely with them in the past and know the tools better than most that work there now... Even the motor on it, made by Marathon, is certified "Made in America" which was a feat in itself because when Delta approached them initially about it, they had no idea where the raw materials originated, and it took a couple years just to sort that part out. I've had the chance to work with one, and I'm tellin' ya, it is an amazing machine, and the one piece trunnion an engineering marvel... If ya google it, I'm sure you can find the video of Scott Phillips demonstrating it and if you can't, PM me and I'll send ya one...

Anyway, I deal more with the use and repair myself, than the development but love what I do!! As for the job... Who knows??? Right now, there are 2 of us who basically hold the department together, and things are going so well, there is no hurry from upstairs to make the decision, so I'll just keep doing what i do best... teach about tools...

Edit to add.... Even though the Uni is MinA, Delta itself was just bought out by a Taiwanese company about a year ago...

Edited by Cinga

Having two teenaged daughters I'll be helping the economy out no doubt. One thing I absolutely refuse to do however is to go shopping on Thanksgiving night or on black friday.

I admit tho that there is great comedic value in watching people crushing each other to be the first in a store at 4:00 AM.

Really? Another woodworker?

I can't recall the last time I saw an American-made tool. I think even my Lee-Nielsen rabbit plane has non-American parts. Power tools? Forget it...if you want American, buy used...

1 - Christmas makes a mockery of Jesus

2 - Spend your money on local businesses instead of corporate goods because it's good for the economy

3 - If you're an atheist, shut the !@#$ up

...what?

Could you throw in a little more disconnected bull ****? I thought this was going to make a little bit of sense. Why are you even mentioning religion in a thread about holiday spending?

Last week we were grocery shopping. I forgot to scan my Safeway club card. After we were rang up and paid they asked if I scanned it. I said I thought I did but I guess I didn't. They asked if we wanted the savings to us in cash. Sure, why not. It was $18. I got to thinking, what a great way to stimulate the economy. That was $18 in cash that I would have otherwise not spent elswhere which of course I did. So how about giving people the choice instead of two for one, 10% discount, coupons, tec let them choose to have the savings back to them in cash. I'm not sure it that really makes sense but I thought it would be a good way to stimulate the economy.

Thoughts?

So getting the cash back rather than seeing "you saved $18 today!" on your receipt made you want to spend it? Interesting.

I guess the answer to whether it would work depends on how many people think that way.

Having two teenaged daughters I'll be helping the economy out no doubt. One thing I absolutely refuse to do however is to go shopping on Thanksgiving night or on black friday.

I admit tho that there is great comedic value in watching people crushing each other to be the first in a store at 4:00 AM.

Ever since that guy was trampled to death a few years ago, most stores stay open all night. Mine does. I gotta work 9PM to 6AM :thumbdown:

Funny thing is, the fights are never over the big ticket stuff. Last year, two ladies got into a fist fight over towels. The one was being a B word hoarder though. She picked up the entire crate and dumped it into her shopping cart. Apparently she worked for a motel or something. She got what she deserved.

The way Walmart's do it now, come out about 3AM. The stores are completely dead and there is usually a few good deals left, especially on video games and DVDs. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

That was worthy of Norfolk. You could [A] give them $100 and get $18 back or kept the $18 and give them $82. What the hell's the difference?

Really? Another woodworker?

I can't recall the last time I saw an American-made tool. I think even my Lee-Nielsen rabbit plane has non-American parts. Power tools? Forget it...if you want American, buy used...

The claim to be made in the USA... I was under the impression from what I have read that their socket chisels were made here, 100%.... I thought their planes were as we'll....

Buying used is tricky.... I have looked at some used stuff.... Like table saws, but the run out on some made it not worth the brain damage.... Also the table flatness would need a lot of machining, which is fine if you have the time and know reliable people to do it.

I do look for old planes in antique stores etc. sometime you will get a nice find, a plane that has all its parts, and if it does not look like it went through a world war....

My point was that to be labeled "Made in America" for a lot of products, is nearly impossible due to the requirements... As for a true "Made in America" table saw, the best one out there right now is the new Delta Unisaw! And no, I don't work for Delta but have worked closely with them in the past and know the tools better than most that work there now... Even the motor on it, made by Marathon, is certified "Made in America" which was a feat in itself because when Delta approached them initially about it, they had no idea where the raw materials originated, and it took a couple years just to sort that part out. I've had the chance to work with one, and I'm tellin' ya, it is an amazing machine, and the one piece trunnion an engineering marvel... If ya google it, I'm sure you can find the video of Scott Phillips demonstrating it and if you can't, PM me and I'll send ya one...

Anyway, I deal more with the use and repair myself, than the development but love what I do!! As for the job... Who knows??? Right now, there are 2 of us who basically hold the department together, and things are going so well, there is no hurry from upstairs to make the decision, so I'll just keep doing what i do best... teach about tools...

Edit to add.... Even though the Uni is MinA, Delta itself was just bought out by a Taiwanese company about a year ago...

I've thought about the Unisaw.... Also powermatic makes some awesome cabinet saws.... But I know Delta/Porter Cable was now internationally owned, who owns Powermatic?

So the Unisawn is butter????

To support American businesses you might want to think of giving gift cards for local services such as a salon, spa, golf lessons, local restaurant or somewhere where you know the product is made here.

It's good idea.. My wife and I do charitable donations in people's names for most of our holiday adventures.... My wife tries to find as much from ETSY for gifting... It's a site where people make and sell stuff...

1 - Christmas makes a mockery of Jesus

2 - Spend your money on local businesses instead of corporate goods because it's good for the economy

3 - If you're an atheist, shut the !@#$ up

...what?

Could you throw in a little more disconnected bull ****? I thought this was going to make a little bit of sense. Why are you even mentioning religion in a thread about holiday spending?

The commercial aspect distracts people from meaning of the holiday... Most, not all

Spend local, tha seems pretty straight forward

Many atheists and agnostics get pulled into the Christmas spending mayhem.... If you going to spend , do so for America

Holiday spending IS portrayed and marketed around Christmas, a religious holiday....

The commercial aspect distracts people from meaning of the holiday... Most, not all

Many atheists and agnostics get pulled into the Christmas spending mayhem.... If you going to spend , do so for America

Holiday spending IS portrayed and marketed around Christmas, a religious holiday....

Yes but your point had literally nothing to do with it being a religious holiday. Your point was "you're going to spend money anyways so spend it on the US/local economy". You just threw it in there for no reason.

The claim to be made in the USA... I was under the impression from what I have read that their socket chisels were made here, 100%.... I thought their planes were as we'll....

Buying used is tricky.... I have looked at some used stuff.... Like table saws, but the run out on some made it not worth the brain damage.... Also the table flatness would need a lot of machining, which is fine if you have the time and know reliable people to do it.

I do look for old planes in antique stores etc. sometime you will get a nice find, a plane that has all its parts, and if it does not look like it went through a world war....

I've thought about the Unisaw.... Also powermatic makes some awesome cabinet saws.... But I know Delta/Porter Cable was now internationally owned, who owns Powermatic?

So the Unisawn is butter????

It's good idea.. My wife and I do charitable donations in people's names for most of our holiday adventures.... My wife tries to find as much from ETSY for gifting... It's a site where people make and sell stuff...

Stanley Black and Decker used to own Delta/Porter Cable, but sold Delta to Chang Type Industrial out of Taiwan. However, they kept Porter Cable... Powermatic I believe is a part of WMI along with Jet and are at least American based as is S,B&D...