Whats up with our "Return" teams

ganesh

Our kick return coverage has been nothing less than stellar...opponents are lucky to even get to the 20 most times...

As far as our returns, kickoffs have almost always been touchbacks and punts usually rely a lot on the returner to make a few ppl miss rather than a lot of good blocking...

Really though, as long as the KR's and PR's safely field the kicks it's enough for me-- with Buffalo having such an explosive offense, anything beyond their twenty I feel confident they can drive all the way.

To beat the good/elite teams, we have to be good in all 3 phases of the game. For that we need have a good kicking game. When the weather turns cold and into snow, the Bills are not going to be consistently throwing for 250 yards/game. In those games, we need the yards from other places in the team.

I think it's a chicken or the egg type scenario. I mean, can we categorically say that hicks, don smith and al edwards were crappy returners, or, just maybe, did dehaven's schemes have something to do with how those guys looked? I'll just say that our return units always sucked under dehaven and improved dramatically under bobby april. Now as soon as april left and dehaven returned, the return units are again crappy.

By the way, I'm not advocating replacing dehaven at all. He's done a marvelous job with our coverage units and that is, imo, the most important responsibility of a special teams coach.

Clifford Hicks had even worse numbers returning punts for the Broncos and Jets- his best days were with the Bills. Al was out of the league after 1992

Bring Back Bobby April as Special Teams Coach, He is the one guy who should have survived the firing, he was and still is the best special teams coach in the NFL !

Gotta disagree. Ya we had great special teams but he had way too much power. We had to sign LBs and start them off the street if we lost a starter because we didnt have a backup LB. We had special teamers and that was it.

Bobby April was the reason we had no depth and had to IR guys with a hangnail so we had a roster spot for our new starter that was signed on tuesday before the game.

I think you play the averages. If I have a guy who has historically averaged 25 yards on KR's, then I give him free reign to bring anything from the endzone out.

So if he brings it out from 8 yards deep you get the ball at the 17....

To beat the good/elite teams, we have to be good in all 3 phases of the game. For that we need have a good kicking game. When the weather turns cold and into snow, the Bills are not going to be consistently throwing for 250 yards/game. In those games, we need the yards from other places in the team.

Fred jackson is 4th in the league in rushing, higher than out passing offense

Average? There's been nothing average about being the NFL's last in return yards. By design we don't return kickoff's from inside the end zone, I agree with that.

So if you agree with the decision to not run kicks out of the end zone (like most teams are doing), then how can you put any stock into a stat like total return yards?

I think you play the averages. If I have a guy who has historically averaged 25 yards on KR's, then I give him free reign to bring anything from the endzone out.

Wouldn't the average then suggest that you not bring anything out more than 5 yards deep in the end zone?

So if you agree with the decision to not run kicks out of the end zone (like most teams are doing), then how can you put any stock into a stat like total return yards?

Because I think a lot of teams have adobted the philosophy of not running the ball out of the endzone. I agree with Gailey that the risk is much greater than the reward. He's probably got the stats to prove it.

You don't think I should put stock in a stat like; 104 yards and a 3.6 yd average on punt returns? We're last in the league per return, our average is half that of the 2nd worst team.

Edited by Triple Threat

Because I think a lot of teams have adobted the philosophy of not running the ball out of the endzone. I agree with Gailey that the risk is much greater than the reward. He's probably got the stats to prove it.

No, most of the other teams have not adopted the same strategy. The Bills have less than half the # of KO returns of all but 3 other teams. They have 1/4 the number of KO returns as the top 35% of teams. That's not to say Gailey is right or wrong on his strategy, it's just the explanation for being last in KO return yardage.

My point being, I don't think anyone can draw a conclusion about the quality of our KO return team based on a sample size of SIX returns on the season. People suggesting we fire coaches over it is laughable.

You don't think I should put stock in a stat like; 104 yards and a 3.6 yd average on punt returns? We're last in the league per return, our average is half that of the 2nd worst team.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean. I responded to your statement about KO returns, not punt returns. Not to mention your facts are simply wrong. The Bills rank 26th in punt return average (80% of the league average), not 32nd. The Colts are last.

Edited by KD in CT

In addition to what others have said, history doesn't mean much in this case. Not only are the kickoffs going deeper, but the defenders are starting closer as well, which means that when the ball is caught 5 yards deep, the returner is looking at a completely different field than he has in the past.

I agree that the Bills special teams isn't doing very well, but I think that has more to do with blocking schemes and individual play, not how often we bring it out from deep in the endzone.

BTW, based on yards, the Bills are 31st and Bobby April's Eagles are 28th. I loved April, but he's not fairing too much better with the new rules at the moment.