OT: On Right Now - Buffalo Braves vs. Philadelphia 76ers

Rubes

From 1976.

It's on the NBA Channel, which I don't get...but I thought others would be interested. I'd love to see it.

Mods -- feel free to move if desired. Thought the larger audience might appreciate.

Edited by Rubes

From 1976.

It's on the NBA Channel, which I don't get...but I thought others would be interested. I'd love to see it.

Mods -- feel free to move if desired. Thought the larger audience might appreciate.

Channel 785 on Time warner. Thanks for the heads up!

Kobe Bryant's dad, Joe Bryant is playing for the 76ers in this game… he went straight from high school to the pros.

Randy Smith was more a great athlete than a great player. He made plays on pure athleticism even though he was seriously monodextrous as a player.

Lloyd Free is playing in this game… before he changed his name to World B Free.

Former ABA superstar George McGinnis is in this game as is player turned announcer Doug Collins and Collins was an excellent player. I think he was drafted right after we took Ernie DiGregorio.

LOTS of excellent players on both teams and you can see why Dr. Jack coached the '78 Blazers to the NBA title. His offensive schemes are sheer genius.

So glad this is on. A great blast from the past for us older guys.

OJ Simpson, Gilbert Perreault, Bob McAdoo… those were some days.

Went to a lot of Braves games as a kid - my older cousin had season tix in the Oranges and we'd move down at a lot of the games.

F*#K Paul Snyder!

Same here... Went to a lot of games... Would get the tix redeemed off the Dairylea milk cartons... Sat in the Oranges, that is were I aquired my vertigo... Man, would that section scare the crap out of me!!!

My favorite edition of that Braves team… in the Columbia Blue unis.

Unreal to me that McAdoo did not make the list of the NBAs top 50 players of all time. The late Randy Smith one of my all-time faves… Dr. Jack.

Just saw Big Mac lay it off the glass with the left hand. What a player!

]

Thank You for some Buffalo Braves conversation! I remember when I was a young boy my Dad used to take me to the games...I remember picture night when they played the Washington Bullets. I remember I liked Wes Unseld as a player for them...I remember all those special names and it makes me feel good! It keeps my Dad alive in my mind as he is long gone! I remember the 1/2 gal milk cartons that we used to cut out a discouted buffalo braves coupon on it. I remember being in the oranges most of the time, looking around at the banners and seeing my favorite players...McAdoo, Swen Nater, Randy Smith, Erinie D' Dgorio, Ohh yeah..Billy Knight, Don Weiss, Nate Archibald (very briefly I think..) Marvin Barnes, and so many more! I remember one of the Celtics players had a little retirement ceremonial event at the Aud...maybe it was Kevin McHale? So many great memories, it's a shame we didn't keep the team! I would've loved to bring my kids there...for them..especially my little boy!!!!

Hopefully, we can eventually build this city/region into something special, I think we will, but I think it may take us 20 more years to get things done! We all have one life on earth (as far as I know), and I think we should come together and make Buffalo even more special, and try to reclaim things lost over the years, and build this city into a model city, lose the excuses, regain some population, attract more visitors, and become a sports mecca like Boston is. I would love to see this happen in my lifetime, and I'm tired of losing things, the Braves, possibly the Bills someday, etc... We have to do more in Buffalo than just talking proud! "If it is to be, It is up to me" (Norman Vincent Peale). (One change to this could be..If it is to be, it is up to US!) Let's Go Buffalo, Lets Go!!!!!

(I know this is a little long..and a positive rant of sorts, but with 4 little kids at home, my opportunities are few, and my optimism is great!) : )

Same here... Went to a lot of games... Would get the tix redeemed off the Dairylea milk cartons... Sat in the Oranges, that is were I aquired my vertigo... Man, would that section scare the crap out of me!!!

The oranges were a trip. I'm not sure that today's building codes (steepness of stairs, etc) would allow an upper bowl like that to be built these days.

]

Thank You for some Buffalo Braves conversation! I remember when I was a young boy my Dad used to take me to the games...I remember picture night when they played the Washington Bullets. I remember I liked Wes Unseld as a player for them...I remember all those special names and it makes me feel good! It keeps my Dad alive in my mind as he is long gone! I remember the 1/2 gal milk cartons that we used to cut out a discouted buffalo braves coupon on it. I remember being in the oranges most of the time, looking around at the banners and seeing my favorite players...McAdoo, Swen Nater, Randy Smith, Erinie D' Dgorio, Ohh yeah..Billy Knight, Don Weiss, Nate Archibald (very briefly I think..) Marvin Barnes, and so many more! I remember one of the Celtics players had a little retirement ceremonial event at the Aud...maybe it was Kevin McHale? So many great memories, it's a shame we didn't keep the team! I would've loved to bring my kids there...for them..especially my little boy!!!!

Hopefully, we can eventually build this city/region into something special, I think we will, but I think it may take us 20 more years to get things done! We all have one life on earth (as far as I know), and I think we should come together and make Buffalo even more special, and try to reclaim things lost over the years, and build this city into a model city, lose the excuses, regain some population, attract more visitors, and become a sports mecca like Boston is. I would love to see this happen in my lifetime, and I'm tired of losing things, the Braves, possibly the Bills someday, etc... We have to do more in Buffalo than just talking proud! "If it is to be, It is up to me" (Norman Vincent Peale). (One change to this could be..If it is to be, it is up to US!) Let's Go Buffalo, Lets Go!!!!!

(I know this is a little long..and a positive rant of sorts, but with 4 little kids at home, my opportunities are few, and my optimism is great!) : )

Love the optimism, Tony. The Braves remained a good team even after Ramsey left… Cotton Fitzsimmons was a real good coach. For anyone interested, here's the wiki entry on the Buffalo Braves.

I still blame Paul Snyder. He seemed indifferent at best about keeping the Braves in Buffalo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Braves

Went to a lot of Braves games as a kid - my older cousin had season tix in the Oranges and we'd move down at a lot of the games.

F*#K Paul Snyder!

And JOHN Y BROWN ... we had a winning team with great attendance ... they dump the players and blame poor attendance for stealing the team from Buffalo.

Loved the Braves ... haven't been to an NBA game since and am so celebrating the mess the league is in now!

What happened to the end of the game?? I couldn't remember the result, and had to google it to see who won. :thumbsup:

A few things from a GREAT blast from the past...

- Dr. Jack's pants...AWESOME!

- Randy Smith was a tremendous player

- A big F*** YOU to Snyder and John Y. Brown. :angry:

- Philly fans shaking the backboard during Braves free throws. Wasn't there any Security. WTF!

- Jimmy Mac, MacAdoo, Smith & Shumate...lot of offense.

I no longer follow the NBA, but I miss the Braves. As mentioned earlier, even though it didn't result in any championships, the years when Perreault, Simpson & MacAdoo were here at the same time were fantastic.

Edited by LabattBlue

This is in the believe it or not category.

My mom used to work intl currency at the Marine Midland tower. We used get autographed Sabres pictures, tickets, etc. We also got a lot of Braves tix. The biggest memory was getting into the aud early against the Rockets and watching Calvin Murphy shooting around. I was standing court side and he invited me to come onto the court and shoot some baskets. I was a fat, slow 12 yr old and was unable to even hit the rim. but that's something I'll never forget. I loved the Braves. My dad and I used to go to little 3 games at the aud all the time. I saw Ernie D play for Providence before he ever made the Braves.

What happened to the end of the game??

Ridiculous.

Fourteen seconds left in OT and they end the show… like they couldn't chop the time from somewhere else in the game.

I guess the Buffalo team won so there was no point in showing the end of the game.

I noticed a few more funny things about the game. Coach Ramsey wearing that 70's leisure suit jacket with the multi-colored printed pants. Coach Gene Shue and his big 70's hair and wide necktie and all the guys in their afros and short shorts.

And back then when a team was over the limit, they had 3 free throw attempts to make 2 points.

Also, the absence of the 3-point line which didn't exist them.

I agree with Shoretalk. Since the Braves demise, the NBA is virtually dead to me. And nationally, I don't know how much they're missed during their lockout. Seems like a roaring silence compared to the NFL lockout.

This is in the believe it or not category.

My mom used to work intl currency at the Marine Midland tower. We used get autographed Sabres pictures, tickets, etc. We also got a lot of Braves tix. The biggest memory was getting into the aud early against the Rockets and watching Calvin Murphy shooting around. I was standing court side and he invited me to come onto the court and shoot some baskets. I was a fat, slow 12 yr old and was unable to even hit the rim. but that's something I'll never forget. I loved the Braves. My dad and I used to go to little 3 games at the aud all the time. I saw Ernie D play for Providence before he ever made the Braves.

Calvin was a great player.

At 5'10" he could reverse dunk a basketball.

He once raced his team from endline to endline (188') while dribbling a basketball in either hand while his teammates only had to run.

Murphy won the race.

The Braves were well before my time since I'm a younger guy. After reading the Wikipedia write up it sound like the Braves had really poor ownership. They were an expansion team in 1970 and considered moving by 1976? Wow! Give it a chance. I do know a lot about business. To start a new venture and give it 6 years before you start talking publicly about relocating is really bad for business.

If today's NBA was to get a hard salary cap like the NFL it would be really cool to have a team here in Buffalo. That would never happen but the way today's NBA is who cares anyway. The Buffalo team would be like a Milwaukee, Indiana, or New Orleans team at best. The top 3 or 4 markets in the NBA all compete for the good players. Pencil Miami in the finals this year along w/ Dallas or LA Lakers. That's no fun at all. I like watching teams compete game in and game out. That's why the only sport I bother w/ is football. Here we are in week 9 and about to play a game w/ huge implications. How important was the 9th game to the Sabres?

The Braves were well before my time since I'm a younger guy. After reading the Wikipedia write up it sound like the Braves had really poor ownership. They were an expansion team in 1970 and considered moving by 1976? Wow! Give it a chance. I do know a lot about business. To start a new venture and give it 6 years before you start talking publicly about relocating is really bad for business.

If today's NBA was to get a hard salary cap like the NFL it would be really cool to have a team here in Buffalo. That would never happen but the way today's NBA is who cares anyway. The Buffalo team would be like a Milwaukee, Indiana, or New Orleans team at best. The top 3 or 4 markets in the NBA all compete for the good players. Pencil Miami in the finals this year along w/ Dallas or LA Lakers. That's no fun at all. I like watching teams compete game in and game out. That's why the only sport I bother w/ is football. Here we are in week 9 and about to play a game w/ huge implications. How important was the 9th game to the Sabres?

Paul Snyder was always jealous of the Knoxes and the Sabres, who had a much more devoted following and (as Snyder saw it) got preferential treatment in the use of the Aud. That sense of inferiority poisoned the Braves from the start, alas.

I wish I was around when the Braves played in Buffalo, but I was born in 1980 and they were long gone by then. I think that there is a market for the NBA in Buffalo, perhaps try to get the Raptors to play a game or two a year there. Come on Toronto, its the least you can do for taking the Bills away a game a year.