Stevie next in line?

"…a full 48 hours..."

That phrase right there shows how pointless and dumb that article is. (not you, SJ!) How do we know anything about anyone's plans in 48 hours? This is how the drive for immediate gratification and the illusion of instantaneous knowledge produced by our modern age is destroying logical thought.

Grumble grumble grumble... damn kids.... grumble... lawn.... grumble.

Hey RJ.

I agree with the sentence you object to… but the rest of that paragraph is kind of interesting and contains some information that at least for me, was interesting.

The blurb also indicates that Florio, who is well-connected with sources at this point, has spoken with people in the Bills organization.

"A full 48 hours after Fitzpatrick’s deal was done, the Bills have not yet renewed discussions with Johnson, per a source with knowledge of the situation. As we previously reported, the two sides traded offers before the regular-season began, but the talks quickly reached impasse and ended.

It’s now believed that the Bills will be focusing in the short term on extending the deals of players like kicker Rian Lindell and offensive lineman Erik Pears, both of whom are in the final year of their contracts, too."

Hey RJ.

I agree with the sentence you object to… but the rest of that paragraph is kind of interesting and contains some information that at least for me, was interesting.

The blurb also indicates that Florio, who is well-connected with sources at this point, has spoken with people in the Bills organization.

"A full 48 hours after Fitzpatrick’s deal was done, the Bills have not yet renewed discussions with Johnson, per a source with knowledge of the situation. As we previously reported, the two sides traded offers before the regular-season began, but the talks quickly reached impasse and ended.

It’s now believed that the Bills will be focusing in the short term on extending the deals of players like kicker Rian Lindell and offensive lineman Erik Pears, both of whom are in the final year of their contracts, too."

Thanks SJ. All of that can be true as well (though the "it's now believed" is an excellent example of someone using passive voice to suggest insider knowledge without actually commiting—I hate that!) , just as it is possible that the Bills can deal with other contracts and still get to Stevie in plenty of time, since I rather doubt that the contracts for Pears and Lindell will be especially complicated. My beef is with Florio acting as though it is news or at all dramatic that the Bills, having just completed one difficult negotiation in week seven of the current season, might decide to take a bit more time before wading into another one.

FWIW, Chris Brown said the same thing on the 97 Rock pregame show. Except he doesn't believe the Bills will franchise SJ.

He said the sides talked before the season, they were far apart, they have no plans to talk. Brown said that he felt there was no way they would franchise him, but he didn't make it clear if he felt they would just let him walk either.

Let's just hope they get some of these deals done before the end of the season, especially SJ, we need his #swag!

I am thinking Bell is a goner.....he is going to want starting left tackle money and his replacement is on the roster....

Really hope we get Johnston done.....we need this next draft to focus on the defense

I would want Bell back next season. I don't think Bell is that highly regarded around the league that another team would pour out big LT money for him (Especially in a capped league). I think Bell would command a contract of 4-5 million per.

Hariston looked good but its such a small sample size. Its good to have O-line depth. Let Bell and Pears handle the tackle spots next season while Hariston takes the RT spot from Pears eventually. I don't think a 4 year 18 million dollar type deal would be crazy for Bell.

Bell is about an average LT at this point. But I can see him getting better and better as his career goes along. So I would want him as the LT for the future while Hariston takes the RT spot.

Edited by billsfan89

It's inconceivable that the Bills cannot negotiate with several players at once. A lot of times they don't, or even seem to refuse to, but it's dumb 99% of the time. The case is very likely that Stevie and his agent are asking for a couple million more per year than the Bills want to spend, and if neither team is willing to budge first, it could go on for months if not right up until FA starts.

It is rumored but not confirmed the Bills are re-negotiating with Freddy, too. Lindell should be a fairly easy number to reach. He's very consistent. Pears will be a little difficult but he and his agent probably know he has a good thing here. He doesn't have to hold his block more than 2 seconds.

stevie wont be happy. fitzies contract is for less than sj was asking, which i hope to god that he doesnt get more than a the fitz contract. they arent talking because johnson and co. are most likely not grounded in reality in terms of what he is worth. get pears done first. get freddy a new contract immediately, the guy deserves it. it is also a good bargaining tool as well. if fred signs for similar money to fitz(just slightly shorter due to age) there is no way that johnson can say he is worth more to this team than either of those 2.