Coach Fired For Profanity In Locker Room

I couldnt possibly agree more. I was always smart in school, but sports taught me the intangibles that allowed me to apply my brain to life skills. Without dedication, goals, and a Get-Er-Done attitude thats sports teach results in a waste of talents.

But was it the cursing?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell I hate what high school sports has become and the coaches who act like this jagoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3njjD41f48

Wow....I sense some bitterness, so were you Lewis or Gilbert in college/high school?

Edited by EndZoneCrew

I was expecting a lot worse actually. Nothing he said was much different than what I heard for ~8 years of high school and college sports.

But I could tell he wasnt just talking about the game. He was pissed some kid had a friend from another school (maybe a rival?), he seemed to think a lot of the kids left the programe after either grade to go somewheres else, and I bet some of the players missed practice once or twice to go play golf. I dont know why he would bring that up before a game.

I think we have a lot of people coaching youth athletics in this country that take themselves way too seriously.

You can say this is commonplace and have heard worse, but that doesn't make it right. He's not coaching adults and is not being paid to win football games for financial gain like a college or pro coach. He is coaching children. His primary job is to educate those children on physical fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. In short -- he should be teaching them to grow up to not be douche-bags who scream at kids.

Plus, if you need to resort to screaming, profanity and threats to "motivate" 15-17 year olds, you are in the wrong profession. The guy who coaches the HS team in my town has won 5 state titles in recent years and there's never been a hint of this kind of nonsense.

Umm...High school football coaches get paid to win. If they don't win, they lose their jobs. Coaching a high school team is how that coach feeds his family. And you think they can take it too seriously?

nice; I'm sure that's how we rolled at Fairport High too.

When did u graduate? I graduated in ER in 86. were you around for any of the annual little brown jug games our towns played? what a great rivalry! After pulling my hamstring in freshman football i never played again but did make it to the little brown "MUG" game. I was on the halftime drinking team which we won. ah, the good old days!

Did you go to T.K.'s pizza after a big game?

They still make a great pie!

..sorry, got nothing to ad to the op

Umm...High school football coaches get paid to win. If they don't win, they lose their jobs. Coaching a high school team is how that coach feeds his family. And you think they can take it too seriously?

I've been under the impression (maybe erroneously) that high school coaches typically make most of their salary from their teaching jobs, and get some sort of small extra duty stipend for coaching. The reporter for the Memphis paper says the coach was neither fired nor asked to resign, but offered to resign the coaching position at his own initiative. Now maybe that's just spin to make it more likely that he will be allowed to keep his teaching job because he was put on adminstrative leave. My guess is that he gets to keep his teaching job and nobody goes hungry.

But yeah, they can take it way too seriously.

Then again, maybe you're just trolling. Hard to judge.

While Abel told the Commercial Appeal that he was not specifically asked to resign, the coach offered his resignation when meeting with Collierville principal Dr. Tim Setterlund on Monday after word of the pregame rant's leaking first came to light. Setterlund accepted the coach's offer to step down, though there has been no firm decision on whether he will be allowed to continue in his position as an Advanced Placement calculus and precalculus teacher at the school. As of Wednesday, he had been placed on administrative leave from that position.

fishgrap;

Very well written and in complete agreement. I'll just add the "lifelong friendships"

that would of never materialized without all the sports and the constant coaching of sports,

both by parents and other levels of coaching beyond parenting.

Zo;

I understood the part about you playing hockey years ago. What I don't understand is; Where did

your passion for the sport go? Or any sports go? Coaching, whether it's good or bad in the eye

of the beholder is a necessary evil. You shouldn't blame your sports hatred on that!

Myself; I was never as proud when my change of life son at the very tender age of seven,

(he is now nine) pursued the same sport that I have been engaged in and competing in

for over 45 years. My first son (now 31) wanted nothing to do with it.

(racing off-road bikes that is) A lot of those years were losing years for me, but

I wouldn't change a thing because hard work spot lights the character of the soul.

And it's a real tough sport. How tough? The boy raced during hurricane Lee and Irene!

And the coach? C'mon! He is shaping those young men into real men. That's his job!!!!

And shame on the snitch for not keeping that in the locker room, where it belongs!!!!!!!

And I know a place where you could hear much, much worse. If you don't want to hear it

stay home, behave, or better yet - don't even play the game!

If you do want to hear it? It's called correctional facilities!!

Come and visit some time. I'll be glad to give you the guided tour and bring a change of

underwear! Your gonna need it! Oh! And one more thing. Go Bills!

I think we have a lot of people coaching youth athletics in this country that take themselves way too seriously.

You can say this is commonplace and have heard worse, but that doesn't make it right. He's not coaching adults and is not being paid to win football games for financial gain like a college or pro coach. He is coaching children. His primary job is to educate those children on physical fitness, teamwork and sportsmanship. In short -- he should be teaching them to grow up to not be douche-bags who scream at kids.

Plus, if you need to resort to screaming, profanity and threats to "motivate" 15-17 year olds, you are in the wrong profession. The guy who coaches the HS team in my town has won 5 state titles in recent years and there's never been a hint of this kind of nonsense.

When the !@#$ did you go all mamby pamby liberal on us?? :devil:

Yet another tirade by some idiot with an overinflated ego who wasn't good enough to make it anywhere on his own. So instead he takes his frustration out on children.

Hey coach, maybe if you were "a man" you'd understand how to control yourself. Just because your career didn't amount to **** doesn't me theirs won't.

I've been under the impression (maybe erroneously) that high school coaches typically make most of their salary from their teaching jobs, and get some sort of small extra duty stipend for coaching. The reporter for the Memphis paper says the coach was neither fired nor asked to resign, but offered to resign the coaching position at his own initiative. Now maybe that's just spin to make it more likely that he will be allowed to keep his teaching job because he was put on adminstrative leave. My guess is that he gets to keep his teaching job and nobody goes hungry.

But yeah, they can take it way too seriously.

Then again, maybe you're just trolling. Hard to judge.

depends on where you are. In NY, it is a rather small stipend, usually under $4 grand to start and under $3 grand for other sports. When I taught in Georgia, the schools would give higher pay to recruit football coaches along with reducing their teaching load. I guess the demands on education are different when up here every property owner pays for education while they use sales taxes to pay for education down there. That all said, I'm glad to be subbing up here over teaching full-time down there as the system is screwed up in my opinion.

I grew up playing hockey and by the time I was a senior, I was pretty disgusted with sports mainly due to overbearing, ignorant coaches and parents who are living pathetically and vicariously through teenage athletes. I'm happy to have a daughter and one with no interest in sports because I would have had a hard time dealing with youth sports.

It's about the kids having fun. If you think you're impacting kids lives the hour or so a day you have them for a season you're kidding yourself. 99% of athletes play sports for the friendships and the games. Winning matters sure but it's not everything and if they think that kids are playing for coaches, they're missing the point. Kids go to school all day, they have homework and school obligations and pressures and sports... believe it or not... is a release for them. It's a time to have fun with their friends after school and do something they enjoy.

I'm sorry but I hate high school coach guy. You know, the guy who'se entire pathetic life is about high school sports. He wants and needs his identity to be "coach" often wearing his schools colors and clothes all the time. When I see a 30- or 4-something guy in public running pants and and shirt/jacket/hoodie with the high school logo on it, I laugh. That's what you worked for your whole life and thats the image you want to portray, as the coach of some high school sports team? How pathetic.

I'm not dimishing the sport or the athlete, I'm saying the coach hasn't considered that its not as important to the kids as it is to him. What's worse is, most local high school coaches are also teachers and only got into teaching as an avenue to coach and put the coaching ahead of the teaching. I have a lot of friends and family who teach and these coaches talk sports all day and its all they care about and they never talk about teaching, the importance of impacting the lives of students or getting having their kids excel in the classroom. Maybe if they put a scoreboard in the classroom and made academics more openly competitive, they'd care. We should get away from letting teachers coach.

My hatred of these losers was only made worse after college (when I walked off after walking onto my college hockey team for similar reasons) when I went to work for a small local newspaper and had to cover local sports. I met one great coach who breaks the stereotype and was likely influential in the lives of his players but the rest were the stereotrypical coach. And the sample size is probably 8 schools and many of their coaches.

There is a local girls basketball coach that IMO(as well as other coaches, athletes, parents, etc) has no business whatsoever coaching teenage girls due to his mistreatment of them. Anyone who has ever stood outside his lockerroom at halftime when they are losing will hear a lot of what you hear in this audio.

OK, end of rant. You can tell I hate what high school sports has become and the coaches who act like this jagoff.

I love you man!!! Nothing worse than the 45 year old guy who stopped maturing at 17...

its not youth football, its high school football. Profanity is inappropriate, but don't tell me this guy started using it this year in this game. After twenty years I would think they would suspend the guy for the season, give him a reprimand and let him coach again. No way his other job should be in jeopardy.

I can't think of any of my high school coaches at two high schools ever used profanity before, during or after a game. I was involved in coaching and administering youth hockey and we would not have tolerated profanity from coaches.

Now I've been somewhat involved in college coaching at a number of universities on the legal and fan side, and I've occassionally run across college coaches who use profanity quite effectively, in my opinion. The great majority of college coaches, including a few with nationally recognized programs do not use profanity, but can blister you up and down without using it.

O he was a dick. I personally hated the man but he knew how to win a football game.

Day before a game our top two RBs got suspended for drinking at a dance. backup QB plays RB that day rushes for 170 yards. next game he got hurt, put in the 4th RB he rushed for 155 yards, next game he got hurt, 5th RB ran for 160 yards.

I actually saw him at the Ralph this year haha

Sounds to me like he had a lot of good running backs.

Sarcasm?

High School coaches make dick, certainly not enough for the time they have to spend.

What the !@#$ is wrong with you !@#$ing people, !@#$ing swearing is !@#$ing normal in the !@#$ing sports world. !@#$ing coach's !@#$ing swear all the !@#$ing time. Its just some !@#$ing times its !@#$ing too much !@#$ing swearing. Though the !@#$ing coach !@#$ing swore a wee !@#$ing bit to !@#$ing much, I'll give him a !@#$ing pass on the !@#$ing swearing. !@#$!!

:nana:

I think he led through example, which is tough to do. But there's no reason that that style wouldn't translate to kids.

I've always found that it's more effective as a leader to get people to follow you out of love and respect as opposed to out of fear.

The worst coaches use intimidation to paper over incompetence. Amazing how destructive to a program that is...

I couldn't agree more. I coach the boys U16 A all star soccer team in my town and I have also coached the U18's. Most players of that age today would totally disregard a rant like that and just write off the coach as a douche bag. Players will do in games what you have taught them to do in practice. If you fail to teach them in practice, then they can't do it in games. When I was in the Army, there was a big billboard across from the barracks with the slogan "No training takes place on the battlefield. You do what you know in order to survive." The same is true in sports. As a coach, you train your players in practice and make adjustments during games. They can only do what you have taught them to do. Screaming and cursing these days just doesn't work. It might have at one time, but not anymore.