Dareus

aussiebills

Agree.

And when did Dareus have a bad game?

What game is he not double teamed on every play?

This may sound outlandish at first but seriously think about,

When was the last 1st round draft pick that made an impact for the Buffalo Bills in his rookie season?

Seriously, lets say you count Cornellius Bennet, even though he was drafted by the Colts? That's still 25 years ago.

Lets say you don't count Biscuit because he was drafted by the Colts . . .?????

Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas all didn't have spectacular rookie years.

Dareus has made a huge impact out of the gate and was responsible for the tipped pass that Florence ran back that broke the Patriots winning streak.

If he stays healthy and keeps getting the attention opposing teams gives him, or punishes them if they decide he only needs to be single teamed this will be one of the best picks in Buffalo Bills history.

It certainly appears as if Dareus is the most impactful 1st round rookie in Buffalo Bills history.

McKelvin was decent by rookie standards and Marshawn was very solid too.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why we don't put Dareus in the NT position, while K. Williams is out, and put D. Edwards at one end and Carrington at the other. That would be a pretty good line, I think. In fact, I don't think it would be much of a drop off from our regular line. Dareus would make a fine NT, and Carrington is, I think, as good as Edwards. I just don't understand why they don't put that line out there and see what it does.

Bing, bing, bing, bing , bing, we have a winner. Dareus is made to be a dominating NT.

McKelvin was decent by rookie standards and Marshawn was very solid too.

McKelvin made an impact for loosing against the Pats (JUST TAKE A KNEE!!!) and I remember him being more of nickel on defense, McGee and Greer were healthy most if not all of that season. So that would be a no, unless you count negative impact then maybe a yes.

Lynch ? - I think you're right he had like 1,000 yards and 3.5+ ypc in like 12 games if I remember; So yes that is a pretty big impact for a rookie

Agree.

And when did Dareus have a bad game?

What game is he not double teamed on every play?

This may sound outlandish at first but seriously think about,

When was the last 1st round draft pick that made an impact for the Buffalo Bills in his rookie season?

Seriously, lets say you count Cornellius Bennet, even though he was drafted by the Colts? That's still 25 years ago.

Lets say you don't count Biscuit because he was drafted by the Colts . . .?????

Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas all didn't have spectacular rookie years.

Dareus has made a huge impact out of the gate and was responsible for the tipped pass that Florence ran back that broke the Patriots winning streak.

If he stays healthy and keeps getting the attention opposing teams gives him, or punishes them if they decide he only needs to be single teamed this will be one of the best picks in Buffalo Bills history.

It certainly appears as if Dareus is the most impactful 1st round rookie in Buffalo Bills history.

We had that one guy...

Umm unknown DE Bruce something?

McKelvin made an impact for loosing against the Pats (JUST TAKE A KNEE!!!) and I remember him being more of nickel on defense, McGee and Greer were healthy most if not all of that season. So that would be a no, unless you count negative impact then maybe a yes.

Lynch ? - I think you're right he had like 1,000 yards and 3.5+ ypc in like 12 games if I remember; So yes that is a pretty big impact for a rookie

That wasn't his rookie year WSS. He had a couple of picks, one taken back for a TD and a special teams TD as well I believe. Not great, but still made a positive impact.

Im not looking to point out your mistake, just saying that relative (and this isn't saying much) to past #1s, these two guys actually left a footprint on the season.

Edited by stony

You mean the buy that is mentioned in the post and a had a slow start his rookie year?

Bruce had a very good rookie year, I think he had 7 sacks. Not that he didn't get better but I remember watching him and saying this kid IS a monster. Just because he got better didn't mean he wasn't playing high caliber out of the gate.

Someone suggesting he didn't play well his rookie year doesn't make that so. For a 1st year rookie he was a beast. He was double teamed and the league knew his name.

Bruce had a very good rookie year, I think he had 7 sacks. Not that he didn't get better but I remember watching him and saying this kid IS a monster. Just because he got better didn't mean he wasn't playing high caliber out of the gate.

Someone suggesting he didn't play well his rookie year doesn't make that so. For a 1st year rookie he was a beast. He was double teamed and the league knew his name.

What if the "someone" is the LA Times in 1985.

And the fact that he was benched his rookie year?

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-10-27/sports/sp-12848_1_bruce-smith

Either way that was 26 years ago and the Bills haven't had many successful 1st round picks.

So we got Marshawn Lynch.

Anyone else?

Dareus is big time impact and playing like a veteran.

Edited by Why So Serious?

What if the "someone" is the LA Times in 1985.

And the fact that he was benched his rookie year?

http://articles.latimes.com/1985-10-27/sports/sp-12848_1_bruce-smith

Either way that was 26 years ago and the Bills haven't had many successful 1st round picks.

So we got Marshawn Lynch.

Anyone else?

Dareus is big time impact and playing like a veteran.

Not to mention he won AfC Defensive Rookie of the Year. That is certainly an indicator of a complete washed out year.

I just hope he is okay with playing a thankless, but vital role. The knowledgeable people know what he is contributing but he doesn't get stats or highlight plays.

He was the 3rd person picked in the world for the 2011 NFL draft, with some analysts saying he should have been #1. He just got $20M guaranteed and every Bills fan knows who he is and what he does. He's been a trenches guy his whole life so he's never been into stats anyway.

Believe me he's okay with doing what he's doing. Playing for a young, winning team that has a fun culture in a low-key city and making a difference.

Antoine Winfield. First round 1999. Not too shabby his rookie year.

I agree that Dareus may be the best first round pick I can remember in my 30 years of fandom.

I hope we draft Troupe's replacement next year. I'm tired of his bad back. Just IR the guy and bring in Jasper.

I like Dontari Poe of Memphis. Good player on a bad team. Sylvester Williams and Fletcher Cox are my other two. Who knows where they'll end up. Cox's numbers are impressive, so he may float up to where the first rounders are. Right now, the RD1#17 pick is DT Alameda Ta'amu of Washington---7 tackles each at Oregon last year, and has played every game since being a freshman.

http://www.gohuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/taamu_alameda00.html

How about Dareus' teammate, Josh Chapman?

Edited by Astrobot

Dareus had his best game against the giants and I have a feeling he has too continue that with kw out. He has too bring his A game if we r too stop the run of opposing teams

When Dareus gets this totally figured out, watch out. He is just holding up two guys right now. Once he starts tossing them aside, watch out.

All things considered, Bruce Smith is as good as it gets. End of discussion.

Marcel Dareus is right up there at number two.

Anyone ever heard of a guy named Jairus Byrd? Care to check the Pro Bowl roster from a couple of years ago? Just sayin....

"I'll be lovin' you always" - Stevie Wonder

All things considered, Bruce Smith is as good as it gets. End of discussion.

Marcel Dareus is right up there at number two.

Anyone ever heard of a guy named Jairus Byrd? Care to check the Pro Bowl roster from a couple of years ago? Just sayin....

"I'll be lovin' you always" - Stevie Wonder

Byrd was a second round pick.

So in the last 33 years 1st round rookies that made a huge impact their rookie year.

Dareus

Lynch

~Biscuit

Conlan

Edited by Why So Serious?

Go ahead and shoot me but I have seen many plays where Dareus wasn't double teamed and he didn't do squat as far as a pass rush. Why isn't he bull rushing his man strait to the quarterback in those situations. Come on man. I saw those sports science videos. I give him some slack though. He is a rookie afterall and he is probably just starting to get comfortable.