FG vs. Going for TD w/ 4 min left

... if you lose, that is...

Many folks have been questioning/criticizing the decision to try for a TD vs. trying a FG with 4 minutes left.

Facing pretty much the same situation with about 5 minutes left, the Cowboys yesterday kicked the FG instead of going for the TD. The Boys are being questioned/criticized today about going for the FG rather than trying for the TD.

Had the Bills taken the FG and still lost, we would be having the Cowboys discussion today.

Just an observation...

... if you lose, that is...

Many folks have been questioning/criticizing the decision to try for a TD vs. trying a FG with 4 minutes left.

Facing pretty much the same situation with about 5 minutes left, the Cowboys yesterday kicked the FG instead of going for the TD. The Boys are being questioned/criticized today about going for the FG rather than trying for the TD.

Had the Bills taken the FG and still lost, we would be having the Cowboys discussion today.

Just an observation...

There's a difference between going for the FG and just slowing the game down. In the chat room, we were all saying the Bills needed to slow things down; it would've been a 44 yarder from that spot, well within FG range. Why go for the TD on the very next play? Do a short pass or a run to run some clock and force the Giants to use a timeout. Maybe do that twice. Scoring a TD with all that time left wasn't a good idea, IMHO, even if it was a score.

I'll take Gailey's call on that 10 times out of 10. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to watch a Dick Jauron coached Bills team tuck their tail between their legs and get embarrassed by opposing teams week in and week out.

Gailey was doing what aggressive teams do to win games. Fitz needs to make that throw. Especially on his second attempt at the same throw he had intercepted earlier in the game. That was upsetting. But I'd rather go down swinging than get beat because we stayed conservative.

nothing wrong with going for the td, fitz should have placed that pass correctly. basically, the only way those go routes end up being bad plays is if fitzpatrick underthrows them on the inside... which both were.

There's a difference between going for the FG and just slowing the game down. In the chat room, we were all saying the Bills needed to slow things down; it would've been a 44 yarder from that spot, well within FG range. Why go for the TD on the very next play? Do a short pass or a run to run some clock and force the Giants to use a timeout. Maybe do that twice. Scoring a TD with all that time left wasn't a good idea, IMHO, even if it was a score.

That's a bunch of BS. Scoring a TD is almost never a bad idea. Fitz needs to make the throw. Period.

Yes scoring a TD to go ahead by 7 is insane. What were they thinking.

I'm not as upset about going for TD at the end of the game as I still am about the series in the first half when Fitz got sacked 2 times in a row, taking them back out of range for a possible FG attempt. I actually wrote "game over" at that point ... though I admit I was looking for an eraser by the 4th qtr! ;-)

But Fitz and/or Gailey have to be smarter about that - on the road, rookie LT, after having just given up a sack, you have to be SURE it doesn't happen again and take you out of FG range ... but they let it happen anyway. Who is that on? Play call? Fitz? O-line?

Still, it was an exciting game, and win or lose, at least this team is fun to watch, right down to the end of the game.

Fez - you call a short pass and see a wide open td do you not throw it? This wasn't an overly aggressive call. Odds are it was check down unless he's open. You cannot pass on that throw when it is presented to you. It's a relatively easy one with huge rewards. I agree you don't have to force it there but if the td is there you take it.

Is this not already being discussed ad nauseum in multiple threads on TSW? Guess one more won't hurt. :blink:

This thread was intended to compare it to the decision made by the Boys in a similar situation and now matter what decision was made it would be the wrong one if you lose. It was not meant to rehash the decision made specifically by the Bills (which my the way I do support).

Besides, who really has the time to search and drill down into all the threads that pop up on Monday looking for those where a topic is being discussed? :wallbash:

That's a bunch of BS. Scoring a TD is almost never a bad idea. Fitz needs to make the throw. Period.

Exactly, the only thing a QB cant ever do on that throw is underthrow it, which is what he did-Twice. You have to place that ball where if your receiver cant get it, it is overthrown where nobody else can get to it either.

Edited by billsfreak

Why? because Fewell thought he knew the BIlls of old, and that's what he expected us to do, hence the single coverage on SJ.. This isn't rocket science. The Giants loaded the box expecting us to kill the clock, and take the FG. SJ was in man coverage and it was the RIGHT call IMO, and if Fitz hits the throw we win and this discussion is moot.

Tim-

I'll take Gailey's call on that 10 times out of 10. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want to watch a Dick Jauron coached Bills team tuck their tail between their legs and get embarrassed by opposing teams week in and week out.

Gailey was doing what aggressive teams do to win games. Fitz needs to make that throw. Especially on his second attempt at the same throw he had intercepted earlier in the game. That was upsetting. But I'd rather go down swinging than get beat because we stayed conservative.

+1

It was a good call, Fitz just underthrew it. If he connected on that, we'd all be calling Gailey a genius today.