Does bringing in a veteran WR in the middle of the season ever work?

I don't see how bringing in Reggie Wayne wouldn't help the team. Especially in the 5 wr sets that gailey uses. When jones is healthy, you would have johnson, wayne, jones, nelson, roosevelt. that would be sick.

Edited by Big Cajones

Sometimes. See 1989: Lofton, James.

Edit: Sometimes I just like to post in threads to see if anyone reads beyond the OP. So far, the answer appears to be no.... :lol:

True but Lofton did not contribute much until the following year. (in 1989 he played 12 games, 8 catches, 3 for TD.)

People mentioned Benett and Lofton, but neither of them played a whole lot their first year here. It took a year and an off-season for them to figure things out.

Bennet came to Buffalo in 1987. He played 8 games, started 7 and had 8.5 sacks with 69 tackles and 5 forced fumbles. Define "played a whole lot".

I'll bet Polian wished he waited until the next spring to make that trade.

FYI - The next season he started 16 games with 9.5 sacks. He really figured it out, didn't he.

True but Lofton did not contribute much until the following year. (in 1989 he played 12 games, 8 catches, 3 for TD.)

Quite so, though he also scored a TD in the playoff game in Cleveland, and generally provided the stability on the opposite side of Reed that Burkett and others failed to provide.

Chris Chambers had a decent half-season in San Diego after leaving Miami in 2007. 35 catches for 555 yards and 4 TDs in 10 games. If we could get that from Brandon Lloyd, I'd be happy, it's better than replacing Roscoe straight up and is probably more than we'd get out of Kamar Aiken. But it's not gamebreaking. Last year, Deion Branch went 48/706/5 in New England, in 11 games, but he had a long history already with Tom Brady, so it's hard to figure we could compare it directly.

It's not a crazy idea.

With all the talk about Reggie Wayne and Brandon Floyd...

I really don't like these type of trades in the middle of the season especially in the final year of the contract, regardless of the sport. I'm just not talking about football, but hockey (sigh... for the playoff push), baseball etc.

I can't think of any success stories with WR's and Randy Moss in New England doesn't count because that was an off-season transaction.

Exactly, just say no to WRs, besides this gives Brad Smith more opportunities to make some big plays for us.

I know it's been discussed, but T.O. has history with Fitz, was a model citizen last time in Buffalo, & he wouldn't cost a pick.

I know he's old and coming off an injury, but he's a freakishly fast healer and last year had the most productive 8 game stretch of any WR since Torry Holt in the golden age of the Rams.