Chris Hairston

Forgive me if this was brought up elsewhere, but wasn't Hairston drafted using the pick we got from Seattle for Lynch?

I remember when this board exploded that we "only got a fourth" for him. Lynch's departure has helped Freddie thrive -- no, dominate -- and we have a pretty decent prospect on the OL, on the off-chance Sunday's performance wasn't a fluke. So far, Freddie is on pace for 1,920 rushing yards this year, and "Beast Mode" is on pace for 765. Not to mention passing yards (Freddie is on pace for 742 and Lynch 266).

I'll bet anyone $20 we end up with the better end of that deal by year's end. :devil:

Forgive me if this was brought up elsewhere, but wasn't Hairston drafted using the pick we got from Seattle for Lynch?

I remember when this board exploded that we "only got a fourth" for him. Lynch's departure has helped Freddie thrive -- no, dominate -- and we have a pretty decent prospect on the OL, on the off-chance Sunday's performance wasn't a fluke. So far, Freddie is on pace for 1,920 rushing yards this year, and "Beast Mode" is on pace for 765. Not to mention passing yards (Freddie is on pace for 742 and Lynch 266).

I'll bet anyone $20 we end up with the better end of that deal by year's end. :devil:

No way that I take your bet because I agree with you 100% I think in time Hairiston is going to be one of the key cogs in our o line.

If you DVRed the game or have NFL rewind you should go back and just watch Hairston - especially in the 1st half. He was awesome. Especially on run plays I was amazed how forceful and aggressive he was. He was absolutely solid in pass protection. He looked supremely confident. If he has another game like that this weekend I honestly think Bell might lose his starting job when he returns.

cf: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1062782.html

8. Chris Hairston, Clemson 6-6, 326

Young, big, and with plenty of potential, hes still a work in progress and he needs a few years in an NFL weight room before hes able to show off all he can do. Hes a tough fighter who just might be scratching the surface on his potential, and once hes a bit more physically mature, the upside could be tremendous. Hes not going to be a plug-and-play blocker, and he might only be a right tackle but he could be fantastic in two years. Fourth round

4/3/10: Struggled with a constant knee injury in 2009, but still made the All-ACC Second Team.

http://skinnypost.com/nfl-draft-news/nfl-draft-2011-offensive-tackle-rankings/

has him rated as the #16th prospect (this also includes a clip of him playing)

the Sporting News has him as a solid #27th best offensive tackle.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-20/nfl-draft-analysis-offensive-tackles

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Looked pretty good in his first start at left tackle, no?

This guy is a beast, I liked him very limited play in the pre-season. He looked good in his first start, against a strong pass rushing team. Bell played OK this year, but Hairston seems to have way more upside... I always feel like Bell is a disaster waiting to happen, even if he puts up a few satisfactory performances in a row.

I have to say, our O-line had been the biggest surprise this year. Even with a few injuries they have been decent. A lot of credit for this goes to Gailey for the game planning.

I had some major doubts about appointing Pears the starter before the season...I will happily admit that I was wrong...

If you DVRed the game or have NFL rewind you should go back and just watch Hairston - especially in the 1st half. He was awesome. Especially on run plays I was amazed how forceful and aggressive he was. He was absolutely solid in pass protection. He looked supremely confident. If he has another game like that this weekend I honestly think Bell might lose his starting job when he returns.

This is the key with him. Our O-line I think has exceeded our expectations so far, but our they haven't exactly been opening up huge holes for the run...They have succeeded due to a combination of a good passing attack, great game planning, and a tremendous Fred Jackson who can find holes where many running backs cannot.

If we have a strong beast like Hairston clearing people out, that will only make us better...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

What really impressed me was his poise. That's one of the hardest positions in football to just "throw someone in to" and, all things considered, he aced it.

•  
  • You can start a raw QB and run more.
  • You can start a raw WR and spread the ball around.
  • You can start a raw RB and pass more.

The same holds true for most defensive positions -- there's always a way to compensate. With offensive lines, teams always talk about the importance of "chemistry." This guy just came in and played solid football for 60 minutes -- as a rook -- in arguably the most difficult position on offense. I'm hardly punching his ticket to Canton, but I was pumped by what I saw.

Every week, I have more and more faith in Buddy and Chan. Through five games, we don't miss Lynch or Evans one bit. That's a product of solid coaching -- and talent brought in by those coaches and scouts.

I am a Bell supporter just thowing that out there......

Here is my take on the situation between Bell and Hairston

- I could tell that Hairston was a player the first time he got on the field and as a former OL and OL coach myself I know a little something about this position. What you look for first and foremost in a offensive linemen is MENTALITY....yes you need power...yes you need lateral agility.....yes you need technique....but DO YOU WANT TO DEMORALIZE the guy in front of you each and every play....do you want to WIN the battle each and every play

- Bell is a good LT because of his agility....I consider Bell to be a "wall off" left tackle with some pretty darn good technique......the reason why we run well to the left side is because he and Levitre work very well together.....you are not going to beat Bell too much on a speed rush because of his agility......

- Hairston (as he stands right now) is agile enough to hold down the speed rush aspect of it the majority of the time.....but where he really excells is his desire to just push your face in the mud on each and every play...he wants to WIN on each and every play....

- TWO reasons why you see Hairston on the ground right now.....a. His is too top heavy and needs to trim a little bit off that gut...and b. When he commits to laying a hit on somebody he COMMITS.....he is going to kill you...I have seen Hairston move a fast moving defensive back and just demolish him in pre season.....he is very powerful and he is going to impose his will on you especially in the run game.

NOW

Bell was not this good when he was a rookie....and I seriously doubt Bell is going to get any stronger then this (he had a extended offseason to gain that strength...and he IS stronger....but he will not maul you at the point of attack

Hairston's upside is scary good and its gonna be hard to keep him off the field because once he gets his body right with another NFL offseason he is going to be even quicker laterally....and will maintain his balance when he goes chasing after a defender off the line of scrimmage.

Hairston is going to be good....he is going to be REALLY good....and to sit him behind Bell would at this point after this season would be a shame

BUT

I would still like to keep Hairston, Bell, and Pears....you can NEVER have too many good offensive tackles. Just dont know how we could do that with everyone else we gotta lock up. I wonder what we could get for Bell in a trade.

Isn't Bells contract up after the year?

Think they would keep Bell at LT and move Hairston to RT?

Bell is a solid LT but by no means elite. Not sure what kind of money that commands, maybe 8-10mil a year?

Play Hairston at RT for a few years under his rookie contract, then maybe you could trade Bell after 2 years for another high draft pick if he continues to play well.

Maybe this all makes no sense, or i am off base.

2011 NFL Draft Prospect Profile: Chris Hairston, OT, Clemson

http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/4/2/2083309/2011-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-chris-hairston-ot-clemson

Chris Hairston

OT, Clemson

6-foot-6, 326 pounds

Projection: Middle rounds

Scouting Reports

From National Football Post:

A tall, thick prospect who lacks ideal flexibility in his lower half and has some sloppy girth through the mid-section. Isn't the most natural of benders and tends to get doubled over at the waist in most areas of the game. His first movement off the snap is routinely upright and he lacks ideal footwork on his kick-slide toward the corner. However, he does exhibit good awareness and is consistently one of the first linemen moving off the snap, which helps him reach speed at times. But, struggles to stay compact and balanced in his lower half, overextends into blocks and isn't a guy who has the kind of lateral agility to redirect and mirror in space.

Does exhibit the initial burst to bucket step on the outside and set the edge vs. defenders in the run game. Possesses some short-area body control, keeps his pad level down and can be a bit heavy handed through contact. Possesses good power from his lower half and can routinely drive defenders off the football as an in-line guy and create a surge off the snap. Also, offers the type of size and power in his upper body to lock onto defenders and use his big frame to control blocks and seal away from the football.

Impression: Possesses good size, but isn't a natural bender. Lacks proper footwork off the edge, but can win for you in the run game. Looks more like a reserve-type right tackle at the next level.

From Sideline Scouting:

Positives: Reasonably athletic... Versatile... Very solid pass blocker... Quick pass set... Good length and reasonably long arms... Good hand placement... Adequate knee bend... Solid anchoring strength... Nice lateral movement and slide... Adequate short area flexibility and quickness... Can get good positioning, walls-off reasonably well... Good run blocker... Plays with good base and low center of gravity... Can generate reasonably good power... Plays with solid leverage... Can get movement in the running game... Can control his man once locked on... Can pull, can get to the second level... Reasonably good motor, steady, reliable... Generally stays with his blocks but isn't an especially good finisher... Flashes a mean streak.

Negatives: Gets too upright in pass protection, rises up almost instantly into his stance... Will bend at the waist and lose balance... Marginal lateral range, choppy kick slide... Can be beat by speed... Will lean and lunge to make contact on the outside edge... Can be pushed back by stronger bull rushers... Gives up ground at POA in the passing game... Doesn't dominate at POA like a man his size should... Looks a little stiff and awkward in space... Lacks the flexibility and body control to cleanly fit on linebackers... More of an obstacle in space than actual blocker... Will lunge into downfield blocks... Best in short area, will get some looks at guard but might not have the overall strength to move inside... Doesn't always appear to be playing with much urgency

What I think is absolute BS about these scouting reports is that there are almost always, so many negatives plastered on the player that you wonder how they guy could even be playing high school JV ball. My opinion is that they feel they have to say a lot of negatives (and include every negative they think possibily might be in play) in order to save their ass, if the guy is drafted and implodes. For example:

" adeqiate knee bend" and "gets too upright in pass protetion" ????

"Can pull, can get to the second level" and "more of an obstacle in space than actual blocker"

"flashes a mean streak" and "doesn always appear to playing with much urgency"

"Can be beat by speed" and he is 325 pounds and everyone can be beat by speed

"Will lunge into downfield blocks" and..... tisk tisk tisk a 325 pound guy with his back to the RB can not always get a clean shot at a 150pound cornerback...

At least what I take from these is that he is a solid player and everyone agrees that he was not max'ed out in his potential in college. We might have another starting OT.

Isn't Bells contract up after the year?

Think they would keep Bell at LT and move Hairston to RT?

Bell is a solid LT but by no means elite. Not sure what kind of money that commands, maybe 8-10mil a year?

Play Hairston at RT for a few years under his rookie contract, then maybe you could trade Bell after 2 years for another high draft pick if he continues to play well.

Maybe this all makes no sense, or i am off base.

Pears is proving to be a solid RT...we need a solid LT NOW. IMO, Bell did just enough to hold is own. He would get beat on occasion, and wasn't very strong against the run. Hairston is raw, but has much higher upside. He is way stronger than Bell, and can block a DE with just one arm. In run blocking, its no contest, Hairston is better. I say leave him in and let him learn. Bell has topped out, and is injury prone.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This guy is a beast, I liked him very limited play in the pre-season. He looked good in his first start, against a strong pass rushing team. Bell played OK this year, but Hairston seems to have way more upside... I always feel like Bell is a disaster waiting to happen, even if he puts up a few satisfactory performances in a row.

I have to say, our O-line had been the biggest surprise this year. Even with a few injuries they have been decent. A lot of credit for this goes to Gailey for the game planning.

I had some major doubts about appointing Pears the starter before the season...I will happily admit that I was wrong...

This is the key with him. Our O-line I think has exceeded our expectations so far, but our they haven't exactly been opening up huge holes for the run...They have succeeded due to a combination of a good passing attack, great game planning, and a tremendous Fred Jackson who can find holes where many running backs cannot.

If we have a strong beast like Hairston clearing people out, that will only make us better...

After reading this, it basically sounds as tho you are sayin this OL still suck! It maybe game planning,schemes etc, but they still have to execute. IMO Bell has been pretty darn good..

After reading this, it basically sounds as tho you are sayin this OL still suck! It maybe game planning,schemes etc, but they still have to execute. IMO Bell has been pretty darn good..

I suppose I can see how you inferred that, but that wasn't my meaning at all. As a matter of fact I pointed out what great surprises Pears and Hairston have been. Saying that Hairston is a better run blocker than Bell, isn't saying anyone "sucks".

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I am a Bell supporter just thowing that out there......

Here is my take on the situation between Bell and Hairston

- I could tell that Hairston was a player the first time he got on the field and as a former OL and OL coach myself I know a little something about this position. What you look for first and foremost in a offensive linemen is MENTALITY....yes you need power...yes you need lateral agility.....yes you need technique....but DO YOU WANT TO DEMORALIZE the guy in front of you each and every play....do you want to WIN the battle each and every play

- Bell is a good LT because of his agility....I consider Bell to be a "wall off" left tackle with some pretty darn good technique......the reason why we run well to the left side is because he and Levitre work very well together.....you are not going to beat Bell too much on a speed rush because of his agility......

- Hairston (as he stands right now) is agile enough to hold down the speed rush aspect of it the majority of the time.....but where he really excells is his desire to just push your face in the mud on each and every play...he wants to WIN on each and every play....

- TWO reasons why you see Hairston on the ground right now.....a. His is too top heavy and needs to trim a little bit off that gut...and b. When he commits to laying a hit on somebody he COMMITS.....he is going to kill you...I have seen Hairston move a fast moving defensive back and just demolish him in pre season.....he is very powerful and he is going to impose his will on you especially in the run game.

NOW

Bell was not this good when he was a rookie....and I seriously doubt Bell is going to get any stronger then this (he had a extended offseason to gain that strength...and he IS stronger....but he will not maul you at the point of attack

Hairston's upside is scary good and its gonna be hard to keep him off the field because once he gets his body right with another NFL offseason he is going to be even quicker laterally....and will maintain his balance when he goes chasing after a defender off the line of scrimmage.

Hairston is going to be good....he is going to be REALLY good....and to sit him behind Bell would at this point after this season would be a shame

BUT

I would still like to keep Hairston, Bell, and Pears....you can NEVER have too many good offensive tackles. Just dont know how we could do that with everyone else we gotta lock up. I wonder what we could get for Bell in a trade.

Appreciate your insights. Love how Hairston and Pears get downfield on screens and runs and just demolish

DBs and LBs.