Are You Kidding Me??

You clearly don't understand. When you give up yardage, it's a systemic failure. When you take the ball away, it's just something that randomly happened.

lol yea i see what you're getting at. obviously the bills D has some playmakers and has proven it is very opportunistic. however, in the past 2 games, we've had a pick-6 and a game-clinching INT go off the receivers feet into our hands. there's some serious good karma flowing our way.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I came on this board yesterday, and BmoreBillsFan and two other stooges were in the shoutbox going back and forth with one another about how horrible our defense is...it really is the mindset of, "i'm smarter than you because i'm critical and I see faults that you're not smart enough to see." It's truly laughable.

lol yea i see what you're getting at. obviously the bills D has some playmakers and has proven it is very opportunistic. however, in the past 2 games, we've had a pick-6 and a game-clinching INT go off the receivers feet into our hands. there's some serious good karma flowing our way.

No doubt there's been an element of luck in our turnover differential, but if the defense wasn't scratching and clawing the way they were we don't get those INTs. Let's consider yesterday's turnovers.

#1 - D-Line blows up a screen play and Corner makes an incredibly athletic play on the tip drill.

#2 - Moats destroys Vick and the ball floats to Wilson.

#3 - Sheppard drills Vick, ball flies into the waiting arms of Barnett.

#4 - Byrd literally rips the ball out of Jason Avant's hands.

#5 - Florence knocks the ball out of Avant's grip while he's completing a catch and Barnett is johnny-on-the-spot.

So, did luck play in? Of course. But those were all big-time effort plays, and as the saying goes, you make your own luck.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

The Steelers won a close game that they "should" have lost last season because the other team's receiver dropped a pass that landed right in his bread basket (good karma). That team played in last year's Super Bowl. For the last time- good teams win. I am serious in saying that the concept really is difficult to understand, especially when you've been on the wrong side of "karma" and truly believed we were snake-bitten and not just bad. We have to get over it though. The team is 4-1, and that's what matters.

No doubt there's been an element of luck in our turnover differential, but if the defense wasn't scratching and clawing the way they were we don't get those INTs. Let's consider yesterday's turnovers.

#1 - D-Line blows up a screen play and Corner makes an incredibly athletic play on the tip drill.

#2 - Moats destroys Vick and the ball floats to Wilson.

#3 - Sheppard drills Vick, ball flies into the waiting arms of Barnett.

#4 - Byrd literally rips the ball out of Jason Avant's hands.

#5 - Florence knocks the ball out of Avant's grip while he's completing a catch and Barnett is johnny-on-the-spot.

So, did luck play in? Of course. But those were all big-time effort plays, and as the saying goes, you make your own luck.

Hmm. Now that you have listed it out like that....how much "luck" was there? I'd say it was 80 skill, 20 luck...at the most. And, luck is one game, picking off Brady 4 times, whatever. How can all 5 games be explained then? We are seeing a clear pattern emerging here, as in 3 games in a row with a pick 6, winning the turnover battle, by a lot, every single week.

Besides, so many of the big plays the Eagles had were veeery close to being losses, and I am pretty sure that's because guys weren't lined up where they were supposed to be. Which leads me to my second point:

I understand the need to rotate people on D...however...not at the expense of having guys run onto the field and clearly not know what the F is happening. Multiple times we had clear communication and/or scheme fit trouble in real time, as the ball was being snapped. We had people out of position as a result. The first Eagles TD is an obvious example.

The good news is all of this can be corrected....and I think the D certainly has talent. Therefore, these are fixable problems, this season.

It's tough to realistically expect a 12-4 record with a ~30th ranked defense.

Sure there are some people who are going overboard, but I think many of us are simply "concerned", we want to see the Bills continue to win at the pace they are, but we are worried that our defense is a weak point.

I don't think there is anything horribly wrong with that.

It's tough to realistically expect a 12-4 record with a ~30th ranked defense.

Sure there are some people who are going overboard, but I think many of us are simply "concerned", we want to see the Bills continue to win at the pace they are, but we are worried that our defense is a weak point.

I don't think there is anything horribly wrong with that.

But that's a ~30th ranked defensed using just one measure, total yards. We all know that total yards doesn't even come close to telling the whole story.

So we just completed another exciting home win against a team the media had beating us. Go Bills, right? I guess not for some on this forum. I am utterly stunned to see so many posts about how bad our defense is, how being 4-1 is hurting our chance at "Luck" in the draft, how we are really not that good, how we cannot sustain this record with the way we are playing... Are you guys $##@& joking?? Seriously?? Are you that used to losing and complaining about our team that you still need to dig up whatever negative thoughts you can conjur up?

In the last 3 weeks we beat two of the most prolific QB's in the NFL. This team is starting to look like a winning combo - get used to it and be happy about it. OR kindly take your "negative vibes" and your "andrew luck" to some other team. I hear Miami is looking for fans these days.

Amen, brother. I was shocked when I saw the threads today. No wonder your economy sucks.

Sadly true.

My mom passed away in August of 2008. Some of my fondest memories are of watching the Bills in the Kelly era with my mom running in an out of the kitchen during commercials and yelling at every guy who ever sacked Kelly, "You leave my Jimmy alone you sonofabitch!" Whenever the game got down to the wire, we all had our spots in the family room where we exercised our nerves waiting to see how they would pull off a win. Mine was on the edge of the couch with a massive Bills floor pillow in my lap to smother my little-girl-screams when needed. My mom's was on the step leading into the kitchen where she sat , spatula in hand, with her eyes closed chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiiiime".

I know most of you all have the same memories, just different faces and different furniture. This past Sunday, this team gave my family a repeat of that same shared drama and joy. And I know somewhere, somehow, just before Barnett's pick, my mom was chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiime". I wouldn't be surprised if that guy jumped offsides because he got hit in the ass with a spatula by 5'2" of Sicilian fire. Thanks mom, and thanks to the Bills for giving us all some new memories to cherish.

Great post.

Sadly true.

My mom passed away in August of 2008. Some of my fondest memories are of watching the Bills in the Kelly era with my mom running in an out of the kitchen during commercials and yelling at every guy who ever sacked Kelly, "You leave my Jimmy alone you sonofabitch!" Whenever the game got down to the wire, we all had our spots in the family room where we exercised our nerves waiting to see how they would pull off a win. Mine was on the edge of the couch with a massive Bills floor pillow in my lap to smother my little-girl-screams when needed. My mom's was on the step leading into the kitchen where she sat , spatula in hand, with her eyes closed chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiiiime".

I know most of you all have the same memories, just different faces and different furniture. This past Sunday, this team gave my family a repeat of that same shared drama and joy. And I know somewhere, somehow, just before Barnett's pick, my mom was chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiime". I wouldn't be surprised if that guy jumped offsides because he got hit in the ass with a spatula by 5'2" of Sicilian fire. Thanks mom, and thanks to the Bills for giving us all some new memories to cherish.

Awesome.

Sadly true.

Great post, thanks for sharing.

But that's a ~30th ranked defensed using just one measure, total yards. We all know that total yards doesn't even come close to telling the whole story.

Nope, not at all.

Bend, don't break!

I'd rather us not bend so much though.

I still don't see what's wrong with going "Hell yeah! We won! Ok, now what could we improve so we can continue to ensure victory?"

I believe this team is way better than that Jauron-Edwards 4-1 squad. Most rational observers think so, too. But 4-1 is where the wheels fell off in '07, and I think it's a psychological barrier for a lot of folks. My father's grandfather died of a heart attack when he was 47 and I know that weighed on my dad's mind the whole time leading up to when he turned 48. (He's almost 70 now.) Same with my wife, who lost her mom when her mom was 37...the year my wife was 37 was very tough on her. I know this is just football, but it's a similar psychology. If we can beat the Giants to go 5-1, then I think some of these negative nancies will shut up.

It won't ever completely go away, though, until we win the last game of the season. THAT is another psychological hurdle for another day.

Nope, not at all.

Bend, don't break!

Those early '90s teams under Walt Corey were the definition of "bend, don't break." They gave up yards and drives, but they made big plays when they needed to. This team is learning how to do that.

Sadly true.

My mom passed away in August of 2008.  Some of my fondest memories are of watching the Bills in the Kelly era with my mom running in an out of the kitchen during commercials and yelling at every guy who ever sacked Kelly, "You leave my Jimmy alone you sonofabitch!"  Whenever the game got down to the wire, we all had our spots in the family room where we exercised our nerves waiting to see how they would pull off a win.  Mine was on the edge of the couch with a massive Bills floor pillow in my lap to smother my little-girl-screams when needed.  My mom's was on the step leading into the kitchen where she sat , spatula in hand, with her eyes closed chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiiiime".

I know most of you all have the same memories, just different faces and different furniture.  This past Sunday, this team gave my family a repeat of that same shared drama and joy.  And I know somewhere, somehow, just before Barnett's pick, my mom was chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiime".  I wouldn't be surprised if that guy jumped offsides because he got hit in the ass with a spatula by 5'2" of Sicilian fire.  Thanks mom, and thanks to the Bills for giving us all some new memories to cherish.

bump... for one he'll of a post!

Nope, not at all.

Bend, don't break!

I still don't see what's wrong with going "Hell yeah! We won! Ok, now what could we improve so we can continue to ensure victory?"

Oh, we're on the exact same page. There's nothing wrong with that sentiment. In fact, it's ideal.

My complaint is with the chicken little numbskulls who throw in the towel at the first sign of trouble, even when the Bills are leading. Ironically, these are usually the same people who are apt to complain about the teams' fortitude and resolve.

Sadly true.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

So we just completed another exciting home win against a team the media had beating us. Go Bills, right? I guess not for some on this forum. I am utterly stunned to see so many posts about how bad our defense is, how being 4-1 is hurting our chance at "Luck" in the draft, how we are really not that good, how we cannot sustain this record with the way we are playing... Are you guys $##@& joking?? Seriously?? Are you that used to losing and complaining about our team that you still need to dig up whatever negative thoughts you can conjur up?

In the last 3 weeks we beat two of the most prolific QB's in the NFL. This team is starting to look like a winning combo - get used to it and be happy about it. OR kindly take your "negative vibes" and your "andrew luck" to some other team. I hear Miami is looking for fans these days.

Couldn't agree more. I was at the game and this is a very good football team. No two ways about it. They were clearly the better team. This team is going to continue to win, so hopefully the naysayers will get used to it sooner rather than later.

I have mainly been posting on a different board and was getting disgusted by all the negative nancies bashing Buffalo, the coaches, the front office and the players. After sticking up for this year being different, starting late last season when Gailey's methods started to bear fruit and getting bashed for it, there has been a sudden bandwagoning. Some are still looking for negatives, some smirkers are still ready with their digs and some are manning up and rooting for the Bills again. What is most irriating are a number of posters who were negative bashers as late as the preseason are now claiming that they were on the bandwagon all along and hooting about how right they have always been!! Its not just on this board! :blush: