Are You Kidding Me??

I saw no fewer than 10 different posters in the shout box and gameday thread declare that the game was over (in philly's favor) while the Bills were LEADING by a touchdown in the 4th quarter.

Don't get me wrong. I'm of the "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" mindset at times too, but if you can't be optimistic with the lead at home, then why are you watching?

We Bills fan are naturally suicidal, we come by it honestly

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe this team is way better than that Jauron-Edwards 4-1 squad. Most rational observers think so, too. But 4-1 is where the wheels fell off in '07, and I think it's a psychological barrier for a lot of folks. My father's grandfather died of a heart attack when he was 47 and I know that weighed on my dad's mind the whole time leading up to when he turned 48. (He's almost 70 now.) Same with my wife, who lost her mom when her mom was 37...the year my wife was 37 was very tough on her. I know this is just football, but it's a similar psychology. If we can beat the Giants to go 5-1, then I think some of these negative nancies will shut up.

It won't ever completely go away, though, until we win the last game of the season. THAT is another psychological hurdle for another day.

Those early '90s teams under Walt Corey were the definition of "bend, don't break." They gave up yards and drives, but they made big plays when they needed to. This team is learning how to do that.

It was 2008 and the Bills started out 4-0, lost the next game to Arizona when Trent Edwards got knocked silly and came back and beat San Diego at home to go 5-1. They only won 2 games the rest of the year.

Sadly true.

My mom passed away in August of 2008. Some of my fondest memories are of watching the Bills in the Kelly era with my mom running in an out of the kitchen during commercials and yelling at every guy who ever sacked Kelly, "You leave my Jimmy alone you sonofabitch!" Whenever the game got down to the wire, we all had our spots in the family room where we exercised our nerves waiting to see how they would pull off a win. Mine was on the edge of the couch with a massive Bills floor pillow in my lap to smother my little-girl-screams when needed. My mom's was on the step leading into the kitchen where she sat , spatula in hand, with her eyes closed chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiiiime".

I know most of you all have the same memories, just different faces and different furniture. This past Sunday, this team gave my family a repeat of that same shared drama and joy. And I know somewhere, somehow, just before Barnett's pick, my mom was chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiime". I wouldn't be surprised if that guy jumped offsides because he got hit in the ass with a spatula by 5'2" of Sicilian fire. Thanks mom, and thanks to the Bills for giving us all some new memories to cherish.

Thanks for sharing this, Mickey. It brought back memories of my beloved mom who passed away way too soon in January of 2008. She loved her Bills through thick and thin and I'll always cherish those Bills moments with her and her perpetual optimism where they were concerned.

I still don't see what's wrong with going "Hell yeah! We won! Ok, now what could we improve so we can continue to ensure victory?"

Absolutely nothing is wrong with that. In fact, it's fine. But did you see some of the ridiculously over-the-top, negative posts after the game?? For the life of me, I don't understand how people can't enjoy a win and can't enjoy the fact that this team is 4-1 and in 1st Place. If people are so consumed with some of the defensive shortcomings of this team to the point that they can't even enjoy the end results, what's the point in watching or cheering? Why subject yourself to such "torture"?? There's not a dominant defense in the league after five weeks of play and many, including contenders like the Patriots*, are horrible. And please don't bring up Green Bay. They have their flaws, too, including one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. After a decade plus of frustration and ineptitude, I just don't get how some Bills fans can't live in the now and simply enjoy the moment. Are the Bills perfect? Absolutely not. Are they a good team with room for improvement? Absolutely. This team will be in all of it's games and is exciting and fun as hell to watch. And really, isn't that all you can expect from an up-and-coming team at this point in its development? Lighten up and enjoy the ride, Bills fans. GO BILLS!!!

Sadly true.

My mom passed away in August of 2008. Some of my fondest memories are of watching the Bills in the Kelly era with my mom running in an out of the kitchen during commercials and yelling at every guy who ever sacked Kelly, "You leave my Jimmy alone you sonofabitch!" Whenever the game got down to the wire, we all had our spots in the family room where we exercised our nerves waiting to see how they would pull off a win. Mine was on the edge of the couch with a massive Bills floor pillow in my lap to smother my little-girl-screams when needed. My mom's was on the step leading into the kitchen where she sat , spatula in hand, with her eyes closed chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiiiime".

I know most of you all have the same memories, just different faces and different furniture. This past Sunday, this team gave my family a repeat of that same shared drama and joy. And I know somewhere, somehow, just before Barnett's pick, my mom was chanting "oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please, just this one tiiiiime". I wouldn't be surprised if that guy jumped offsides because he got hit in the ass with a spatula by 5'2" of Sicilian fire. Thanks mom, and thanks to the Bills for giving us all some new memories to cherish.

Thanks for sharing this story, it made me smile :)