Henry's Trade Value

If infact we do end up trading henry at the end of the season..why is it soo hard to believe that we won't get a first for him? I hate the idea that just because a person is injured his value drops..When he's healthy Henry is easily a top 10 running back in this league..2700 hundred yards, and almost 30 touchdowns in 2 seasons is enough reason for me to think he'll be back to prime time form once he's healthy..He'll obviously be healthy, and will have something to prove come next season, so the team that gets him if he's traded will be getting a beast of a running back with a chip on his shoulder..all the more reason to settle for nothing less then a first for him..We also took a gamble with a running back not too long ago, does willis mcgahee ring any bells? and he's turning out to be just fine..Which leads me to believe that some team come this offseason will take the same gamble on Henry ( if he's traded ) because let's face it, when he's at 100% henry is a heck of a running back..he's worth a first round pick

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard Southie.

The reason I don't think we can get much value out of Henry is that I think the league is loaded with more good RB's than I've ever seen in my life. It's just not a position of need where teams are willing to give up a lot to fill a position that has become drastically devalued due to excess supply.

If you look at Donahoe's history, you'll see that he's always amde a concerted effort to keep a very deep stable of talented backs because he recognizes that the position takes more punishment than any other in football. I don't think he intends to move Henry unless somebody knocks his socks off with a deal because he probably views Travis as more valuable as a BuffaloBill than as a draftpick, and I would agree with this.

Look for Travis to regain the 15-20lbs of weight that he needs to play in this league and spend one more year as part of the Bills RB corps.

Cya

Guest Travis Henry's Mom

the problem with keeping him for next year is that at the end of the year his contract is up. and look at the number(small) of carries Mcgahee got in the beginning of the year.

If we were gonna have a system where McGahhe gets 25-30 carries and "the backup" would get 10-15 carries, then I'd say keep Henry for next year because its our best line-up and chance to win NEXT YEAR. the year after that, its over.

But we dont have that system, if they keep it relatively the same, the back-up will only get about 2-5 carries a game. a job that shaud williams is more than capable of handling.

trade henry this offseason, get the 3rd or 4th round pick, save some cap room.

plus, its not just his injuries that drop his value, its the large quantity of RBs that are free agents. and the market value is set on recent trades, all we have to go on now is that New England(a pick-rich team) only gave up a 2nd rounder for Corey Dillon(a big-name back). so i dont think there is a team in the league that would give a 1st rounder for travis henry, its just not gonna happen

Not a chance we get a 1st rounder for him ... but I wouldnt mind just  keeping him for another year. I wanna see if McGahee can go 16 straight games without getting injured ... so far - not good.

172804[/snapback]

Thank you. Folks just can't get in their head. Henry's value is no better than a 3rd and more probably closer to a 4th or 5th round pick. What would you rather have a project who might develop into something, or a quality affordable backup RB, even if it's only for one year?

Hey Mom your logic only works if there are no injuries. Reality says a SB bound team committed to the run needs two quaity RB's to get through a 16 game season. That's particularly true when both RB's both have a injury history.

the problem with keeping him for next year is that at the end of the year his contract is up.

I don't see that as a problem at all. So we lose him to FA at the end of next season, no big deal as backup RB is not a particularly hard position to fill.

It all boils down to whether you place more value on a 3-4thround pick or on having a viable experienced back-up to McGahee for a year in which we want to make a real run. I think the latter is a far more valuable commodity even in the era of FA, particularly when you consider that he's not carrying a burdensome contract.

Given Donahoe's past tendencies, I think he'll see it this way as well and I agree with him. I do NOT want to see a roster like this wasted next season because we lose a RB with a long history of issues with his knees.

Cya

It's hard to get any team to give up a #1 pick. Dillon, however, only went for a #2 because teams didn't know what they were going to get for him (meaning he's a headcase). If he was Warrick Dunn off the field he would have commanded a first. Henry is a bit of a headcase, too, but definitely not the trouble that Dillon has been, or has been perceived, ever since high school. The Bills need a #2 RB on this team. If you trade Henry for a #3, you have to pay a FA over a million dollars to come and be the back-up and who is going to want to do that? I think we're keeping Henry next year unless we sign a very good known quantity back-up first.

Thank you.  Folks just can't get in their head.  Henry's value is no better than a 3rd and more probably closer to a 4th or 5th round pick.  What would you rather have a project who might develop into something, or a quality affordable backup RB, even if it's only for one year?

172813[/snapback]

IDK The Dolphins gave up a third rounder for Gordon...Henry will be able to get us a 3rd rounder easy....

No chance in hell for two reasons:

1.Henry sagged when he had competition and it affected his on-field production negatively.

2.The Bills had all their success once he was benched. Even if injuries contributed, it really hurt Henry's value.

When you have a guy who isn't playing, it's hard to justify getting a lot back in return. Teams might say, "How did this guy go from being the main guy and a quality #1 back to in the doghouse in such a short time while the other guy worked his butt off to get back from a serious injury and easily dethroned him?"

You won't do better than a 3rd or 4th round pick for Henry now.

There's also this. How many teams need a #1 guy? It's not a big list. That limits what they can get in return.

I think we will keep Travis. A team needs two quality RB's to last a season. We are starting our 3rd on the depth chart this week because both Travis and Willis are out. Depth at RB is necessary, not just a luxury.

Having said that, I read MM comments that Travis is starting to practice, could we see him against San Fran? I hope so, Shaud didnt exactly light it up against the Bengals.

I don't have the entire list but the March 2005 Free Agent RB field is loaded with top names like E. James, Shaun Alexander and several other top starters. Why then would anyone trade a #1 for Travis ? They don't need to. It's a supply/demand market and the supply is there to sign better RB's without giving up anything. Henry may fetch only a 3rd or 4th round pick in the trade market.

I'd actually like to trade him for a OL or DB who may be the victim of the numbers game with his current team. A proven Vet to bolster our depth.

I don't see that as a problem at all. So we lose him to FA at the end of next season, no big deal as backup RB is not a particularly hard position to fill.

172817[/snapback]

if a backup RB is not hard to fill why don't we cash out for a draft pick and fill it then??

i think your contridicting yourself.......

If infact we do end up trading henry at the end of the season..why is it soo hard to believe that we won't get a first for him? I hate the idea that just because a person is injured his value drops..When he's healthy Henry is easily a top 10 running back in this league..2700 hundred yards, and almost 30 touchdowns in 2 seasons is enough reason for me to think he'll be back to prime time form once he's healthy..He'll obviously be healthy, and will have something to prove come next season, so the team that gets him if he's traded will be getting a beast of a running back with a chip on his shoulder..all the more reason to settle for nothing less then a first for him..We also took a gamble with a running back not too long ago, does willis mcgahee ring any bells? and he's turning out to be just fine..Which leads me to believe that some team come this offseason will take the same gamble on Henry ( if he's traded ) because let's face it, when he's at 100% henry is a heck of a running back..he's worth a first round pick

172795[/snapback]

Which Southtown you from? I'm a Hamburger! :blink:

I don't have the entire list but the March 2005 Free Agent RB field is loaded with top names like E. James, Shaun Alexander and several other top starters.

172925[/snapback]

does your opinion change if those guys are franchised and the market dries up??

I don't have the entire list but the March 2005 Free Agent RB field is loaded with top names like E. James, Shaun Alexander and several other top starters. Why then would anyone trade a #1 for Travis ? They don't need to. It's a supply/demand market and the supply is there to sign better RB's without giving up anything. Henry may fetch only a 3rd or 4th round pick in the trade market.

I'd actually like to trade him for a OL or DB who may be the victim of the numbers game with his current team. A proven Vet to bolster our depth.

172925[/snapback]

Interesting! Every discussion I have read about trading Henry involves what kind of draft pick we can get. I like the thought of using him to trade for a positional need. Guess I missed the boat on that thought... but I think we could do a lot better using your approach then a draft pick.

if a backup RB is not hard to fill why don't we cash out for a draft pick and fill it then??

i think your contridicting yourself.......

'cuz a 3-4th round draftpick has about a 30% chance of panning out, while Travis' history tells us he has about a 90% chance of being a dynamite back-up.

I just don't see the value of a pick that mayormaynot work out being as great as the value of a back who you know is going to work out, particularly when you intend to make a run at the big prize. The upside is minimal while the downside could be crushing.

Cya

>>>When he's healthy Henry is easily a top 10 running back in this league<<<

Not even close. Although he is a strong runner, he might truly be the most limited running back I have ever seen. He cannot block, cannot catch, is mentally challenged, lacks breakaway speed, and falls down (sometimes untouched) on critical plays.

Imo, a huge chunk of the reason for the Bills winning streak was getting Travis Henry off of the football field.

Posters come here and complain about the won-loss records of Bledsoe and TD, and for valid reasons. With Henry as the starter, the Bills are consistent losers. A poster stated that Bledsoe was sacked 21 (out of his total of 31) times in games that Henry started. Do you think that GMs will turn their backs on this and give us MORE than teams paid for Dillon and Faulk?

If the Bills can get a 4th round pick for Henry, they would be very lucky.

As for getting another back, I think the draft is the way to go. A quality backup RB can almost certainly be found in later rounds.

On a final note, if you are looking for a scapegoat for the Bills having to struggle for a playoff spot, look no further than Henry sliding on his ass on critical plays and missing key blocks.